2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Aerated Greens

To Tell or Not To Tell?
I had the pleasure of being invited to play a round of golf with my brother and his future (now) father-in-law before his wedding yesterday. My brother made a tee-time for us about two weeks ago. When we arrived at the course we were extremely disappointed to find that the greens had been punched and sand dressed presumably on Friday. The greens were pretty much a sheet of sand having not been fully brushed. Without any other options, we paid full fees to play.

I asked my brother if the shop staff had said anything about the greens being scheduled to be aerated when booking his tee time. He said no. Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened to me. I have to say, as a former shop assistant, when greens were scheduled to be aerated I made it a point to tell each and every person calling for a tee time the greens were going to be punched and sanded. I just can't imagine why other assistants/head pros don't disclose this. Am I wrong to think this is an appropriate disclosure?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how long have you all been golfing... ?

you know they ALWAYS do it around this time of year.. completly normal... yes it's a BUMMER... but we all should know.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I am not upset if they don't tell me the greens have been aerated since it is normally done this time of the year.

I do get upset when I go to play a course and I am not told that they have temporary greens since they are reworking four of theirs. This happened to me this weekend as I went to play before a friend got married. Needless to say we were disappointed when we played at the fact of not knowing and having to play greens that were basically fairways just mowed close.

Johhny,

Yes, it's usually around this time of year, BUT there is typically a 4-6 week period where courses in my area (Tampa) do it. It all depends on when they overseeded, when they last aerated, how old / new the greens are, etc. So, if you time things right, you'll never have to play on freshly aerated greens like this guy did. I think a course has an obligation to tell you for at least one full week after they've aerated greens.

If I made a tee time and paid full price, then found out on the putting green or 1st green that the greens were just done, I'd request a full refund and leave. I don't have the time or patience to deal with this type of non-disclosure. If they told me and I made the decision to play, then I have no complaint.

I'm sure you all know, in your cold business hearts, that a course cannot come out and say it is any less than perfect no matter what condition it is in as long as it is "playable".

If the course said it wasn't up to par, excuse the expression, then it would be losing alot of revenue that could prove very costly - more than most are willing to give up. And, you know why...because its always easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for blessings. ^^

I understand the business end of it, but I also understand that a customer who has a bad experience tells 6-10 people, while one with a good experience only tells a few, on average. So, screw me once and I'm never coming back. Poor condition with notification is one thing; blatant deception is another.

I realize spring is time for aeration, but courses don't all do it at the same time. Chances are if my brother had been told the greens were sanded, he could have found another that may not have been aerated yet or had been done and was in better condition.

As I noted in the starting post, I worked in a shop. While I made it clear greens would be/were sanded when folks called for a t-time, some of my co-workers did not. Let me say this, there is nothing like getting your a** chewed by every player checking in who wasn't told the greens were sanded. One thing I learned working in the golf business is you don't F-up someones leisure time. Think about the guy who worked all week, looking forward to a round with his buddies on Saturday...up at 6:00 a.m., makes a 1-hour drive to a course he has never played, he and his buddies check in then head to the practice green, WTF its the Saharra. Guaranteed they aren't coming back in the near term, maybe they even walk back in the shop ask for a refund then try to find a place to walk-on.

While I recognize running a golf course is a for profit activity: 1) you need to tell your customers the greens are temporarily in less than favorable condition. At least give your customers the option of deciding whether or not they want to play on sanded greens; 2) maybe offer discounted play, say charge weekday rates for weekend play and twilight for weekday play. I just think its bad form not say something, or expect people to remember when greens are usually sanded.

It's is pretty sad when a course cannot let people know about aeration. It totally smacks of blatant dishonesty. And in this Internet age, the websites should have the schedule. I don't think that is too much to ask. Now that being said, if the course offers discounts for a week or two while the greens recover, then that's cool and all is forgiven.

Can you imagine those unsuspecting money bags showing up to Pebble this week? That's right, it's April 1, so new prices in effect (Pebble raises prices every April1), and starting tomorrow greens are getting punched at Pebble, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay (probably Del Monte too). $450 for automatic two putts!!!

On the brightside, if you are a Dukes club member, you can play Pebble until April 10 for $350 and with that you get $100 shopping certificate for the resort.

Agreed also, it cant be that hard to spell it out while on the phone. You should see Torrey Pines, played today and theyre gearing up for Tiger in 08, so alot of the tee boxes have the sod removed and huge sections closed off for cart path work. I think they should tell people how much the course is affected. thank God i have a city resd card.

I'm sure you all know, in your cold business hearts, that a course cannot come out and say it is any less than perfect no matter what condition it is in as long as it is "playable".

If the course said it wasn't up to par, excuse the expression, then it would be losing alot of revenue that could prove very costly - more than most are willing to give up. And, you know why...because its always easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for blessings. ^^

I understand the business end of it, but I also understand that a customer who has a bad experience tells 6-10 people, while one with a good experience only tells a few, on average. So, screw me once and I'm never coming back. Poor condition with notification is one thing; blatant deception is another.

It's is pretty sad when a course cannot let people know about aeration. It totally smacks of blatant dishonesty. And in this Internet age, the websites should have the schedule. I don't think that is too much to ask. Now that being said, if the course offers discounts for a week or two while the greens recover, then that's cool and all is forgiven.

Can you imagine those unsuspecting money bags showing up to Pebble this week? That's right, it's April 1, so new prices in effect (Pebble raises prices every April1), and starting tomorrow greens are getting punched at Pebble, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay (probably Del Monte too). $450 for automatic two putts!!!

On the brightside, if you are a Dukes club member, you can play Pebble until April 10 for $350 and with that you get $100 shopping certificate for the resort.

I agree they should all tell you and yes put it up on their website... but every GC that I happen to be on their mailing/email list has told me in one such email that greens are to be punched. Now setting up tourneys in advance, you should ask that question yourself, although I know it's not something you might think about at the time. Another thing I wish courses would do is list when tournaments are hogging up the course before I get out there..... but that never happens either.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I agree they should all tell you and yes put it up on their website... but every GC that I happen to be on their mailing/email list has told me in one such email that greens are to be punched. Now setting up tourneys in advance, you should ask that question yourself, although I know it's not something you might think about at the time. Another thing I wish courses would do is list when tournaments are hogging up the course before I get out there..... but that never happens either.

Amen on that... this is my biggest pet peeve.

two years ago a lot of courses were giving good deals on "aerated greens" and would send e-mails and when you called, they would let you know. this year, only one course has even mentioned it, and it was because the guy in the pro shop recognized me. no one is coming out and telling and no one is giving a reduced rate. even worse, they aren't letting you know in the pro shop or anywhere. you don't find out till you get to the first green and its punched. that bothers me.

i understand that it is maintenance and done this time of year, but with courses that i've called locally, there is a 6 week window. i know a number of courses punched 4 weeks ago and some are punching next week. if tx dot can put up signs/warnings of construction that is to start soon, or going on so can the golf courses.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

My local course closed 9 holes this week for aeration. (next 9 closed next week) The manager on Sunday made a sign for the counter and told each employee to make sure to let everyone know that aeration was taking place when they called for a tee time.

While us golfers may know when aeration takes place, there are many who don't know. It is the course's responsibility to inform everyone.

Went to play yesterday afternoon at my temporary home club to find out that they pushed up the aeration schedule do to rain later in the week. They were allowing anyone who showed up to play the back 9 as much as they wanted for only cart fees (greens fees were waived). I thought this was a very nice gesture on the club's part.

I hate aerated greens. I was booking some courses for my trip to Tampa this week, and was recommended I play Fox Hollow. I went to book and was told it was being aerated. Since I was told, I'll probably play there next time, instead of playing, not enjoying, and never returning.

I was once playing an expensive and good course, the day the greens were being spiked and sanded. We weren't told about it in advanced, but when we got there, the guy gave us a great deal (£50 for the 4 when it was normally £50 per person). So instead of going to another course, we played, and gave ourselves an automatic 1 putt if we were inside about 7ft with the approach, and the rest were 2 putts. We didn't even bother to putt.

Should tell that information. Not only that it should be law. It is akin to misrepresenting what you are selling or providing. I am surprised that there are not lawsuits with regard to this. Kind of like offering one thing, but serving up another. One of the shady parts of the golf industry.

Think about this, lets say you book a tourny and don't tell them that you airated the greens and they pay normal fees thinking they are getting the normal course. Those are abnormal conditions and a misrepresentation.

I understand that it a neccesary evil. Being in the business for 14 years I have had to deal with the pitfalls of the airification. I worked at PGA National in WPB FLA, and it was tough when we airated...people lost their minds and rightfully so. If I went to a course and it had been airated and I was not informed I was upset.

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

• 2 weeks later...

I run the tee and make reservations at the course I work at and we try to let everyone know about the greens getting aerated but the fact is you are so busy it's very easy to forget to mention it, especially with all the different days people are setting tee times for. Trust me, the last thing we want to deal with is an upset customer so we always have the intention of telling people.

At the same time I think it is also out of line to expect a discount when you get to the counter in a situation like this. Generally prices are fixed in the computer software and the person assisting you can't do anything about it. The way I see it is that it's just that time of year and if it's going to be a big deal to you ask when you call because the person you are talking to may not be thinking about that because they are also worried about the line at the counter, getting people off the tee, trying to keep track of what group is coming down the 9th fairway and heading for the 10th tee, how's the range looking, etc....

Bottom line is don't get offended and think someone was trying to decieve you.

So what should the courses do to all the people who set tee times and then don't show up or bother to call to cancel their tee times? I think that is worse because the course has been turning people away because of the reservations and then gets stiffed when they don't show. These are probably some of the same people who want free golf and complain a ton when there's a little sand on the greens.

Just trying to show the other side of things a little.

• 2 months later...

One course here in Houston gave a discount the week it was being aerated (Wildcat $35). The rest I've played were no-discount, no advance warning. A friend complained to one course, and we all got free passes to play again the next day, but the greens were STILL punched and sanded :russian_roulette:

We did play at one piece of trash course in Houston called Glenbrook. It's a muni, and it is the worst course in the world I'm pretty sure. They had complete fairways bulldozed out, tee boxes missing, and greens carved into flat parts of the fairway while they were renovating. There was mud everywhere, construction equipment, and orange construction markers. Not only did they not warn us going out, we paid full price for that dump. Never again. Not to mention the people that play there are some of the rudest a**holes I've ever met on a golf course.

I'll have to go with the people that think we should be told. Yes, it's done roughly twice a year (it seems like my club does it about twice a month) but there's no way to know for sure. Let me know "hey...just so you know, the greens were punched two weeks ago." No big deal. If you tell me, I can choose to stay at home. I'm not sure a discount is warranted unless you don't tell me.

My other peeve is not disclosing when carts are mandatory. Example: Checked a website for green fees, called for a tee time, show up "18 walking". "No sir, carts are mandatory until 2:00". Bait and switch....

-mini

So what should the courses do to all the people who set tee times and then don't show up or bother to call to cancel their tee times? I think that is worse because the course has been turning people away because of the reservations and then gets stiffed when they don't show. These are probably some of the same people who want free golf and complain a ton when there's a little sand on the greens.

Just trying to show the other side of things a little.

There are more than a couple courses around here where you give your credit card when you book a time. You pay for the tee time regardless of actually using it.