Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Is the loft that different with a 43" driver from 3 wood? Like I hit my driver farther than my 3 wood, I think it is 45", but if it was 43" I wonder how different they would be? What do you guys do with your 3 woods if a 43" driver?

The lower the loft, within reason, the better the energy transfer from the swing to the speed of the ball. A 43" driver would produce more ballspeed than a 43" 3 wood, all else equal. I do not know how much less, but I suspect it may not be particularly profound, if the smash factors in the famous TrackMan Tour Averages chart can be extrapolated. In that, they show the smash of the driver and 3 wood to be the same, at 1.48, and the smash has only dropped to 1.45 by the time you get to the 3 iron. Adding it below.

TM2013_Stats.jpg

That said, you generally want your 3 wood to be at least an inch shorter than your driver, for the sake of continuity of the set. Or such is my opinion. ;) I have a couple different matched sets of Ram persimmon driver/3w. One of them has a 43" driver, the matching 3w is 42". The other driver is 44", the matching 3w is 43" (I also have the 4w, it's another half inch shorter than the 3w).

Along with my driver at 43.5", I've taken my 3w down to 42". I didn't use that as an actual target length before cutting it to that, I'd bought an extra weight from Cobra to use with the King F6 3/4 wood I'd picked up, and trimmed the 3w to the length that gave me the swingweight I'd wanted (D5-D6). I'm happy with the 42" length.

Adding a bit of theory to swingspeed changes from added or subtracted length.... the Dynacraft DSFI (now Hireko DSFI) has a discussion on how to use their ratings for shafts, when using a different length than they used for testing that shaft. They show factors to be used with drivers/woods when using a different length. Years ago, a friend and I did a bit of personal testing with various length clubs and found they were rather good. Copying from DSFI Chapter 5:

Woods +2” +1.5” +1” +0.5” -0.5” -1.0”

1.075 1.056 1.036 1.018 0.983 0.966

There's no -2", but using the above and a bit of math, -2" would be 0.930. Meaning, in theory, if you used a driver 2" shorter, your swingspeed would drop to 93% of what you were seeing at the longer length. Add 2" and your swingspeed should increase 7.5%. (in theory)

The hole in that is the point of diminishing returns, which I've mentioned before. Each person has a point at which increased length no longer adds swingspeed. It will be different for everyone. Some with see swingspeed increases up to the USGA limit of 48", others will plateau before that. (this doesn't account for weight, which is also involved for some players)

A few years ago, I found I was swinging a 43" club slightly faster than my 44" driver, this is the basis for my interest in trying a driver at 43.5".

This post is pretty damn long, but I'll add one last comment.... in 1991, Callaway introduced the Big Bertha. Made quite a bit of noise in the marketplace. The Big Bertha came at 44" with graphite shaft, and 43.5" in steel. When Callaway introduced the Great Big Bertha in 95, and the Biggest Big Bertha a few years later, they took the graphite length to 45". This was done to add distance, nothing more.

The benefit of any distance from the added swingspeed is often offset by a lower frequency of quality contact.

There was a not inconsiderable backlash against this added length, creating inconsistency at the expense of the occasional longer drive. :)

Anyone still awake? LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I have a 48" shaft in my R7 just for fun....holy f*ck does it kick when I get it, it is surprisingly not crazy hard to hit, and forces a much smoother swing becuase it is so long feeling.

I have hit some at my home course that I was like oh man I nutted that but the reality is the end up in similar spots as my 45" ryoma, so I guess my point is that it feels longer, but I am not so sure it is. It is a cool toy though.

NRJ, when you add length to a club, you usually have to add weight (and/or the MOI goes up). And when you add weight/MOI, you swing that club slower based on the same "energy" of the swing. So at some point adding length, by virtue of adding weight/MOI in order to add it, has a tradeoff where length no longer adds swingspeed and distance.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

NRJ, when you add length to a club, you usually have to add weight (and/or the MOI goes up). And when you add weight/MOI, you swing that club slower based on the same "energy" of the swing. So at some point adding length, by virtue of adding weight/MOI in order to add it, has a tradeoff where length no longer adds swingspeed and distance.

I tried to mention weight, but largely wanted to focus on the changes due to length. DSFI is generally used in building a club, in which an exact clubhead is not yet selected, maybe just a model. One could get a lighter or heavier clubhead to match up to the different length.

In making changes with an existing club, weight is very much in play. Such as, my adding weight in varying ways to the clubheads I've made shorter. If I wanted to make one of them longer again, I'd use lighter weights. and so on :)

Weight is yet another something that affects different people differently. Some are sensitive to too heavy, some sensitive to too light (I'm one of these).

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Just wanted to add my name to the list as a new "blade" owner. I had my first range session with my new to me MP-32s yesterday and all I can say is wow. The experience was special. I couldn't believe how crisp the contact felt. The ball flight was much higher, which was a nice change. I was a little surprised how high given the S300 shafts are a low launching shaft. I loved how easy it was to work the ball. Given the smaller head, you really have to focus on contact, but within about 5 minutes, I felt they were just as easy to hit as my current irons. I love the fact that I could feel my misses.

In terms of distance, I didn't lose much if any. Maybe a half club. I wonder if that was due to the fact that I'm launching them better. After the range, I went over to an open hole on the course and put down 6 balls at a 135 yards out. I put 4 of 6 on. This was my easy 8 iron before, so I stuck with it for the 32's. One ball I miss hit, so it came up a bit short, the other I pulled left, but it was pin high. The four that landed on all stopped within two feet of where they landed.

This is a the first time a forum post made me buy something. Happy to say I did now otherwise I would have never thought to try blades.

kasturbo, welcome to the lightside! Blades take your golf to a whole new enjoyment and attunement level. "Forgiveness", as marketed, ain't nothing but HALF-TRUTH carney "science". The pure science behind a blade, OTOH, is nothing but beneficial to ALL golfers with an open mind to it.

Registered Bladeocrat

Just wanted to add my name to the list as a new "blade" owner. I had my first range session with my new to me MP-32s yesterday and all I can say is wow. The experience was special. I couldn't believe how crisp the contact felt. The ball flight was much higher, which was a nice change. I was a little surprised how high given the S300 shafts are a low launching shaft. I loved how easy it was to work the ball. Given the smaller head, you really have to focus on contact, but within about 5 minutes, I felt they were just as easy to hit as my current irons. I love the fact that I could feel my misses.

In terms of distance, I didn't lose much if any. Maybe a half club. I wonder if that was due to the fact that I'm launching them better. After the range, I went over to an open hole on the course and put down 6 balls at a 135 yards out. I put 4 of 6 on. This was my easy 8 iron before, so I stuck with it for the 32's. One ball I miss hit, so it came up a bit short, the other I pulled left, but it was pin high. The four that landed on all stopped within two feet of where they landed.

This is a the first time a forum post made me buy something. Happy to say I did now otherwise I would have never thought to try blades.

You are also likely shorter with the MP 32's because of the lofts. Those have a 39deg 8 iron, vs 38deg in my MP4's, vs. some others 8 irons that are getting into the mid 30s for an 8 iron. I think Taylormade has 8 irons at 34-35deg range.

You are also likely shorter with the MP 32's because of the lofts. Those have a 39deg 8 iron, vs 38deg in my MP4's, vs. some others 8 irons that are getting into the mid 30s for an 8 iron. I think Taylormade has 8 irons at 34-35deg range.

That's one of the aspects of modern irons I find kind of funny, the idea of a 30* club with a "7" on the sole. For most of my golf existence, I have been playing 5 irons at that loft.

Thinking about the mental adjustment in switching to such a set is what I find funny. :)

I agree, these are much more standard lofts. My current irons are Cally, xp pro's. They were strong lofted for sure. I was stating that I wonder if the higher ball flight is helping me keep the same distances even though the loft is weaker. In any case, I love the new ball flight even if I have to club down a bit to hit the correct distance. Man do these things feel good. Just hit them for an hour on my home sim.

Kasturbo, this is AWESOME. Welcome to the world of blades golf, and somewhere on your journey you will buy into the real truth mentality that it is your swing more than irons, there is NO cheat, and with that notion it is easy to put proper emphasis on shot making/contact and the importance of feedback. Anyone, at ANY level, can improve as a golfer with that mindset playing whatever irons floats their boat. It just so happens that people that really buy into that mindset enjoy blades because they are a natural tool for said mindset.

OK Dogflog, it is posts like this that REALLY make me proud of this thread and make me happy about your reference as 'president" LOL. The fact this thread is opening eyes unsubstantiated common thought that blades are somehow not the right clubs for 99% of golfers is really amazing. Just some avid golfers, not zealots, sharing their real experiences, not paid for and with nothing to gain, no dog in some fake internet fight, and no marketing agenda.

I agree, these are much more standard lofts. My current irons are Cally, xp pro's. They were strong lofted for sure. I was stating that I wonder if the higher ball flight is helping me keep the same distances even though the loft is weaker. In any case, I love the new ball flight even if I have to club down a bit to hit the correct distance. Man do these things feel good. Just hit them for an hour on my home sim.

Couldn't find the XP pro specs (are you sure they aren't the XR's?). The XR Pros have a 35.5deg 8 iron. I find that with a blade though, my 8 iron at standard specs actually fly about the same as with a stronger lofted CB. I had the r11's for a brief relapse, and my 8 iron was only about a half a club longer at 36deg than my old mp32's at 39deg. Just have to adjust. I would love to do a trackman session on all of my irons to find my "stock" swing distance on all of the clubs in my bag.

Don't focus on distance, it means nothing. I was talking to a buddy about my lessons (same guy that has me in his scramble) and I said how I was flushing it for like 18 in a row, and the firstthnig he said was "how far were you hitting it?". I was like I have no idea, I have a higher flight with the changes, it looked normal. He pressed on "you hit a 9 like 160 right?" like excited like I hit it far or something, and I was like first of all, no, but sure stepped on, pulled a tad and downwind I guess and like OB long, but I prefer a nice full 9 from 145-150. Second of all, that number means nothing anyway, and iron numbers vary but 1.5 irons from set to set. I am not long, just avg. decent player length, but he thinks I am. It is so funny how people get so focused or impressed with a number and distance. I am first in my group to make a smartass comment when someone asks what I hit on a par 3, like "My 7 but, I am not sure what that even means for your clubs" or just answer back with the yardage etc. It is just funny how something so loaded with reasons, and so unimportant is so fixated on by most golfers. I know NR was just going on about that, it is almost a pet peeve of mine because as if different swings and speed wasn't enough of a reason to not care or ask, the fact the science is different from set to set makes it really pointless....One EXCEPTION, I have 2 guys I play with that I will ask because I play with them enough to know how to judge my irons against theirs from sheer time spent together. If you really know a guys game, you can get good info on what a wind is doing or how much uphill a green is etc.

I am curious to see how the Staffs hold greens with lower irons though, because you said something that is one of my real love of playing blades, and I have yet to find a CB that is the same, in that, balls hold. I loved my DCI 962s, but man on a good course and firm greens I have hit 7 irons that release to the back, with a good flight, you really have to thin a blade to make it run out. Deninny could science that but I am sure it is the more time on the face/spin? My 6 staff at the range fell nice the other day, but that was in wind and not on a glass green. Blades in general hold much better and are premier irons for dependable distance control. Get used to that, because you will see your shots from 180 be as close to the pitch mark as 135 assuming a good flight.

Ultimately, the distance changes you see will be related to your swing and the trajectory and spin rate you generate from each club. Every bit of data I've seen shows blades produce more spin than CBs, loft for loft. This is, of course, a generalization. LOL

So, if the MP-32s, which hit the ball higher than some/many irons, and may be producing more spin, are resulting in better launch conditions for you, you'll see better distance on a per loft basis.

When doing a comparison between the old and new irons, I'd recommend not paying attention to the club numbers but the lofts. It's loft that will determine your ballspeed, launch, and spin. Change the loft and all three will change. Change the club number and nothing changes. ;)

Welcome to Club Blade. :pimp:

That's one of the aspects of modern irons I find kind of funny, the idea of a 30* club with a "7" on the sole. For most of my golf existence, I have been playing 5 irons at that loft.

Thinking about the mental adjustment in switching to such a set is what I find funny. :)

I've never been the guy that needs to say that I am hitting a 7 iron 190 to feel manly. To me, irons need accuracy rather than distance.

I've never been the guy that needs to say that I am hitting a 7 iron 190 to feel manly. To me, irons need accuracy rather than distance.

Would it be better to just have the lofts on the clubs instead of a number?

Couldn't find the XP pro specs (are you sure they aren't the XR's?). The XR Pros have a 35.5deg 8 iron. I find that with a blade though, my 8 iron at standard specs actually fly about the same as with a stronger lofted CB. I had the r11's for a brief relapse, and my 8 iron was only about a half a club longer at 36deg than my old mp32's at 39deg. Just have to adjust. I would love to do a trackman session on all of my irons to find my "stock" swing distance on all of the clubs in my bag.

Yes sorry, that was a typo. They are the XR pro. I have a GC2 that I take out to the range. I did a full gap testing with my old clubs. I'll post the results once I have a chance to do it with the 32s.

It would yes, but it isn't likely to become a prevailing trend. The companies rely on using distance to sell their clubs, and full disclosure helps puncture the balloon for those willing or able to see.

It's my fault for having brought it into this thread, but we shouldn't go too far down this strong lofts road. It's been beat to death in several other threads on WRX. ;)

The "forgiving" club industry has become blind to the actual loft#. Rumor has it that jacking loft too much makes you blind.

Registered Bladeocrat

The idea of playing with blades is a romantic one. Just like playing with wooden woods. I'm interested to see if I like playing with them. I keep hearing that the feeling of a well struck shot isn't comparable. But I also hear that hitting a ball that solidly with a blade is few and far between. Not sure if that will help me love the game or not.

Yes sorry, that was a typo. They are the XR pro. I have a GC2 that I take out to the range. I did a full gap testing with my old clubs. I'll post the results once I have a chance to do it with the 32s.

Dude, did you jump on the GC2 golfsmith deal too???? Mine is currently collecting dust for various reasons but when my summer membership kicks in next month I may take it to the range. I haven't tested the battery on it yet though...

I loved the Hogans that had that. Pretty sweet for anyone that really loves gamer clubs.

The idea of playing with blades is a romantic one. Just like playing with wooden woods. I'm interested to see if I like playing with them. I keep hearing that the feeling of a well struck shot isn't comparable. But I also hear that hitting a ball that solidly with a blade is few and far between. Not sure if that will help me love the game or not.

I thought the same thing until I played them. The smaller head for me makes it easier to hit the sweet spot. My experience is only with the MP-32s but the sweet spot felt big. The club just felt balanced and easy to hit. When I didn't hit it well, I knew instantly what I did in my swing to produce that feeling.

I think modern blades are a ton different than playing woods. The numbers and performance is on par with anything. I have said this story before, but I took my personal 7 iron into a golf superstore, and hit it against the titliest cb, staff V4s, and whatever mizuno PCB was there, and maybe another like the cobra? I don't remember, but I hit my 7 further on average (not furthest overall, but avg. consistency) and better than all clubs I hit on monitor with it. Now I chalk it up to it being my comfortable old shoe, so I didn't read that far into it, but blades are not a nostalgic idea, they are quite current within the rules of clubs. Again, 20 years of marketing and sales would have everyone believing different, but numbers on a machine don't lie.

If my GC2 battery works, and I do take it to the range, I will go one evening with it and a 7 cb and blade and report back. I have zero agenda, remember I just gotthose staffs, I would report back true numbers, but I know it is almost a waste of time as my swing variances are ultimately the reason for any numbers variance.

EDIT- as much as I hate how numbers mean nothing, I hate the loft numbers on Irons like the hogans have. I really don't feel like retraining my brain.....As much as I am a golf nut, I would have to really think about what the hell my 7 or 6 iron are, working back in 3s from my 9 which I am sorta sure about I guess?LOL

I thought the same thing until I played them. The smaller head for me makes it easier to hit the sweet spot. My experience is only with the MP-32s but the sweet spot felt big. The club just felt balanced and easy to hit. When I didn't hit it well, I knew instantly what I did in my swing to produce that feeling.

That's interesting. I don't shape the ball, at least not intentionally. So I don't need blades for that. But, if there is a better feeling I would like to experience that. The look of them is an acquired taste for me. Not really sold yet there.

With a good amount of time spent with Blade's you will find that it becomes more and more repeatable. It also should help in the long run with a more consistent strike of the ball and no more ???? shots where you think you hit the ball well and it ends up 15ft short. Take some time and look back through this thread. There is a great Faldo quote about how everyone should really learn the game with a blade.

With a good amount of time spent with Blade's you will find that it becomes more and more repeatable. It also should help in the long run with a more consistent strike of the ball and no more ???? shots where you think you hit the ball well and it ends up 15ft short. Take some time and look back through this thread. There is a great Faldo quote about how everyone should really learn the game with a blade.

Lately, I have been wanting to play with vintage clubs. Blades and persimmons have been on my mind. I don't know why, maybe just the challenge of it. Knowing that if I can play with those that I can play with anything. But I also want the buttery feel that I keep hearing about.

Dude, did you jump on the GC2 golfsmith deal too???? Mine is currently collecting dust for various reasons but when my summer membership kicks in next month I may take it to the range. I haven't tested the battery on it yet though...

I did get one of the GS units. Built out a simulator room in my basement for winter practice. It's a pretty awesome tool. If the battery is bad, rumor has it Batteries Plus can replace them.

Thanks for the rumor!!!!

I have no room in my current house, we have been looking to move for a year now and I had to jump on it while I could, no basements in florida, but the wife knows that the garage is going to have a simulator in it and cars outside :)

I can only imagine how much fun that is going to be to have dinner and hit some balls with the boy after....WAY better than playing Tiger woods on Xbox......