Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

So I got railroaded on Saturday. Actually thought I played to my plan. I was giving up 7 shots on the match, and it just seemed like every pop he got on me was a par for him, net birdie.

First three holes of the match he went Par, Birdie, Par. Two pars were pops. I was down 3 thru three holes, and had only bogeyed the par 5 1st (hit a bad chip when I probably should have just cozeyed up a putt from the front fringe). It was a battle from there until the 13th. I knocked my chip to 6 inches for a tap in Par. He then dropped a 20-25 ft downhill bender for Par with a pop on top of my par already in the hole to get me to 5 down with 5 to play. I went on to make easy pars on 14, 15, and 16 to bring the match to 17. 17 is a 240 yard par 3. Beast of a hole. I put my 3 iron into the collection bunker about 30 yards short (right on line with the flag, just caught the top edge). Hit my bunker shot to 20 ft and missed the put 1/4in on the high side because I had too much pace on the ball. Knowing I couldn't afford to leave the putt short. He ended up bogeying the hole to have it and I lost 2 and 1.

Tough to beat a guy giving 7 pops when he shoots 4 shots below his handicap.

It was fun day. And given that it was my wedding day and the now wife gave me the pass to play in the match play, it was all and all a great day. Would have loved to be in the winners bracket. Oh well, at least I still get to play round 2 in the consolation bracket in two weeks.

My mp4's are sooooo money. They are great!!

I take it this was at Papago? As I wont ever forget the 240yd par 3 #17.

Good on your wife! My fiance just surprised me with a trip to Vegas the weekend of July 4th. She reserved a tee time at Bali Hai golf co there for me to play.

Posted in the thread here a looooong while back. I'm a lurker here lol, I've finally been able to get out and start playing golf again. During my break I decided to upgrade my irons. Previously I was using TM 2009 TP's (players cavity) with DGS300's, they were good for what they were. However it them really really high, and with lots of draw. I now have a set of Titleist 714 Mb's which I ordered back in Feb. 2014. I got them @standard length, 1* upright, with Nippon Modus 130X's on them. I have about 19 rounds with them and I will never change. The combo of the heads and shafts are perfect for me. I can actually shape and flight the ball now, and these shafts are great. I've had a few rounds with 16 GIR's, and interestingly I hit these clubs extremely straight. Even when I miss it a little it still flies basically on line with not much distance loss. By far my favorite club is the 3 iron, I use it off the tee a lot, and it feels great. Lastly I'd say the sound and feel of a flushed iron shot with these are amazing, and addicting. I haven't hit many blade/mb's in my life. The only other MB I've hit was a Nike Vr Pro at a demo day, that club felt softer to me, however I don't mind the firmer feel of the Titleist.

Some other sets on my wish list to own someday are the Mizuno 68's, Staff 59's or 62's, and of course Miura MB001's. I'm a lefty, hence the selection is limited.

It's a great change isn't it? I did the exact same thing a month ago of moving from s300 to 130x in my 2014 TM MB's and I don't think I can play another shaft again in irons.

And since I'm not a lefty I'd have to add the brand new Kyoei MB's that were just realeased to a wish list.

I have to say the Modus 130's are straight $$$$$$. I mean, they're stable but feel so smooth through impact. I can launch them to the moon, or hit knockdowns. Plus it brought my spin down which I dearly needed. Combine these shafts with the nice compact look of the 714mbs and I feel like I can do anything I need to with the ball. Now weather I execute the shot or not,... that's all on me LOL

Yeeeozah those Kyoei MB's are lovely, really like that raw finish with the grain exposed :censored2: Those and Miura Baby Blades might make me learn to play right handed :)

Posted in the thread here a looooong while back. I'm a lurker here lol, I've finally been able to get out and start playing golf again. During my break I decided to upgrade my irons. Previously I was using TM 2009 TP's (players cavity) with DGS300's, they were good for what they were. However it them really really high, and with lots of draw. I now have a set of Titleist 714 Mb's which I ordered back in Feb. 2014. I got them @standard length, 1* upright, with Nippon Modus 130X's on them. I have about 19 rounds with them and I will never change. The combo of the heads and shafts are perfect for me. I can actually shape and flight the ball now, and these shafts are great. I've had a few rounds with 16 GIR's, and interestingly I hit these clubs extremely straight. Even when I miss it a little it still flies basically on line with not much distance loss. By far my favorite club is the 3 iron, I use it off the tee a lot, and it feels great. Lastly I'd say the sound and feel of a flushed iron shot with these are amazing, and addicting. I haven't hit many blade/mb's in my life. The only other MB I've hit was a Nike Vr Pro at a demo day, that club felt softer to me, however I don't mind the firmer feel of the Titleist.

Some other sets on my wish list to own someday are the Mizuno 68's, Staff 59's or 62's, and of course Miura MB001's. I'm a lefty, hence the selection is limited.

It's a great change isn't it? I did the exact same thing a month ago of moving from s300 to 130x in my 2014 TM MB's and I don't think I can play another shaft again in irons.

And since I'm not a lefty I'd have to add the brand new Kyoei MB's that were just realeased to a wish list.

I have to say the Modus 130's are straight $$$$$$. I mean, they're stable but feel so smooth through impact. I can launch them to the moon, or hit knockdowns. Plus it brought my spin down which I dearly needed. Combine these shafts with the nice compact look of the 714mbs and I feel like I can do anything I need to with the ball. Now weather I execute the shot or not,... that's all on me LOL

Yeeeozah those Kyoei MB's are lovely, really like that raw finish with the grain exposed :censored2: Those and Miura Baby Blades might make me learn to play right handed :)

+1

Recently got a new set with Mod125S...totally in love. i was worried it would take me a while to get used to them (old clubs had KBS Tour 120) but it's been fine so far

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

They came. They are magnificent. Surgical. Everything I wanted in appearance. I'll report back soon enough.

Need address pics, N...of a few clubs please!! They look great, buddy! Congrats!

Thanks K. Top to bottom goes 4i, 7i, & PW

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

They came. They are magnificent. Surgical. Everything I wanted in appearance. I'll report back soon enough.

Need address pics, N...of a few clubs please!! They look great, buddy! Congrats!

Thanks K. Top to bottom goes 4i, 7i, & PW

Beautiful set!

Look stunning from address

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Great pics! Toe is too rounded for me. But I love the point! Size looks great too, you need to get them dirty!

Dude you're right, that toe is way rounded. I didn't even notice it. I was drawn to the top line and pointed toe. It does make it look longer heel to toe.

Won't be able to get them dirty for a bit. Swamped at work.

Just saw this pic. How do you feel about hitting it this close to the hosel? I, too, like to live dangerously. **unbuckles seatbelt**CITY-IRONS-videoLarge.jpg

As close to the hosel as possible without hitting a shank is the definition of the "sweetspot" in my book. I know this is sacrelige to claim this amongst those obsessed with the clubhead CG as the sweetspot, and to that definition I won't argue. But from a pure torque and leverage on the ball perspective, as close to the hosel as possible, truly and mathematically is the best place to contact it. If the goal is feeling the least torque on the hands from the ball pushing on the face, then no question it is as close as possible to the hosel (again without shanking it) because by definition torque equals force times the distance of the force from the fulcrum of rotation. And so in order to keep the torque as low as possible, that distance between the hosel, which in this case is the fulcrum of rotation, and the point of contact with the ball, which is where the force on the face is, should be minimized. So based on the math to minimize the torque twisting the face open, 'tis ALWAYS better to hit as close to the hosel as possible but not shank it.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Perfect segway, that is basically my grass marks, I actually hoseled 3 shots yesterday at range, all with the staffs, none with the small blades....

Oh boy, so I was hitting the ball pretty well yesterday, but Monday's are off matts so that helped. I really like the modus 130s. I have been hitting my small blades next to these V4s iron for iron like 5-6 of one then the other, going at targets etc. my conclusion after a good striking practice is that there is none. It just didn't overly matter with one or the other from a performance perspective. The V4 seems easier to hit, and the Miuras seem striaghter, but that is like just my feelings on it if I had actual numbers I am not sure that either would be the case.

Yeah, and I really don't want to hear anyone talk about their feedback from cbs being almost as good as blades. I can see a lot of guys preferring the CB feel and that is all good, I was getting used to it yesterday, but you can't hit one next to the other and make that case.

Perfect segway, that is basically my grass marks, I actually hoseled 3 shots yesterday at range, all with the staffs, none with the small blades....

Oh boy, so I was hitting the ball pretty well yesterday, but Monday's are off matts so that helped. I really like the modus 130s. I have been hitting my small blades next to these V4s iron for iron like 5-6 of one then the other, going at targets etc. my conclusion after a good striking practice is that there is none. It just didn't overly matter with one or the other from a performance perspective. The V4 seems easier to hit, and the Miuras seem striaghter, but that is like just my feelings on it if I had actual numbers I am not sure that either would be the case.

Yeah, and I really don't want to hear anyone talk about their feedback from cbs being almost as good as blades. I can see a lot of guys preferring the CB feel and that is all good, I was getting used to it yesterday, but you can't hit one next to the other and make that case.

What's your take on how the 130';s compare to say DG S300?

Double dang. I need to talk to your buddy who does plating. I bet once that copper starts to patina, it's going to look real good.

I forgot how long the hosels were on the Protos. Damn near a Cobb pipes worth of depth to those things.

DO you have copper plated BBs??? What is that finish?N

a

rd, I was a tad worried that the 130g shafts may throw off my feel since at this point I am 2 years with the BBs and 115g 1150 tours, but yesterday was a good enough striking day to comment some. The weight difference even when rotating back and forth was negligable, other than the SW feels like more with my BBs and I may lead tape the Staffs but way early for that kind of fine tuning. I was at a PGA sup store the other day and hit the staff 7 iron with the DG pro, and the 130s feel tangibly nicer, so super pumped on that. They may add some to the dead feeling, but in general I can't emphasize enough how much different the feedback really is between the staffs (again, smallish forged players CB without much "forgiveness", it is stunning how back to back the BBs instantly tell you where you are and how "dead" the staffs are in a striaght comparison).

As far as flight, my new swing moves are giving me a higher flight, even with my X100 in gap wedge. The 130s though give me a strong flight, very similar to DGS300, maybe a tad higher but I was also hitting into a good 15MPH steady headwind, so I can't say for sure, and I still hit the 1150s more piercing but I think that is the BB head more than the shaft. I like them more than the 120s, they feel less lose to me. I feel like they are alot closer to a dgs300 than the 120s, in terms of flight I like them, I don't have a violent swing (working on a less handsy start to down swing though that can be aggressive) so I get along with alot of shafts except I hate KBS tours and at this point there is no reason to not play nippons over DG since they are really good on flight and accuracy and the feel is truly night and day to me, I prefer 120/125/130 modus and 1150s over pretty much everything but I definitely like the the 130s over the 120s and 125s I have played in the past. I did have a tendency to go a little left yesterday with them over my miuras, but again, heads and working on swing, I will say that my push fades when I chicken winged a few did seem to go stronger than that shot usually does for me, still a weak terrible shot, but they carried better and didn't go as far right as I can hit them.

I am sure that is all vague, but you asked specifically about them to DGS300 and I think that is apt as they seem to be a better comparison flight wise to the 300s vs say the 120s. Again, I am 3 range trips and working on a new tempo/sync more than swing with new clubs so I guess the best I can do is say they are VERY comfortable in flight and direction.

N, they are very long hosels on the Masda protos. The insertion depth is a standard 1.25", though.

Yes, BM, I have a set of copper plated BB. I have good access to Miura product, so I can afford some playing around. ?

N, I've been thinking about accelerating the patina to a black or smoked copper. I tried it on my son's wedge and like the way it came out.

I LOVE the black copper smoke, in fact, when the day comes to strip my clubs, I may just very well do that!

Nard,

I feel like my answer sucked, so I googled some reviews and the first one I clicked on much better sums up exactly what I found in my experience.

http://www.independentgolfreviews.com/nippon-pro-modus-3-tour-130-iron-shafts.html

I recently snagged a set of MacGregor 1025CM irons from Flatstik in the GEA swap shop. I have always loved the look of these irons, and never thought I had the game for them…well…what a mistake that was.

Upon buying them, I had them lengthened to play off of a 39" 5 iron, and re-gripped them. I left the lie angles alone.

Look at address is simply what you expect…intimidating as hell, tiny, skinny top line, very little offset, and a fairly sharp leading edge..you know, a blade.

The first few swings took a bit to build some confidence, but it was not long before I was just smashing the ball, clean and pure.

The ball flight is what I like…very penetrating, and kind of flat, it's as if the ball jumps up high, flattens out and just goes. These have older factory installed Tour flighted Rifle 6.0 shafts, which I've had before, and love them.

Out of the rough is interesting…the first few times, I did not fair well, but I sort of figured out how to come in a bit steeper and catch the ball FIRST and not get tangled up, and now these clubs are magic out of the rough.

I have two shots I like to hit, and for some reason, these irons just set up beautifully for me to do that and allow me to execute it. I like to hit a high cut with a 8 iron or less, and I like to hit a hot little knock down from 100 yards or less with the PW that comes in low with a lot of spin, and it pretty much just hopes once and then releases and rolls a bit. it's a very good shot into the wind.

The clubs feel incredibly solid, and it's kind of like a very muted CLICK at impact on a good shot. Shots on the toe feel less than good, but ball flight and distance penalties are actually no worse than with my Callaway X18 irons.

Additionally…these clubs are magic around the greens for hitting a little running chip shot.

I know a lot of folks have argued about playing blades or not playing blades to improve your ball striking, etc. Well…I can tell you that playing these has helped me. When I approach a shot now, I really focus on contacting the ball first and hitting the center of the club face. When I have an approach or tee shot, I now feel confidence that I am going to hit a very solid shot and more than likely achieve what I was looking to accomplish with that shot. Maybe I'm just slowing down my routine a bit and thinking a bit more about it.

I am still embarked on my quest to break 80, and shot an even 80 today, and got hosed on the last hole. I needed a par for a 79, and hit an approach from 150 that was executed as I wanted it to…it landed about a foot short and instead of bounding forward onto the green…it hit a small ground under repair spot and rolled back down the front of the green. I couldn't get my chip close enough to save par. Regardless…I hit the ball very well off the tee, my approach shots were crisp and clean, and I had 5 legit birdie opportunities that I did not convert, and I managed to save par a couple of times when I was looking at a bogey.

All in all…I am very happy with these 'old' irons.

DO you have copper plated BBs??? What is that finish?N

a

rd, I was a tad worried that the 130g shafts may throw off my feel since at this point I am 2 years with the BBs and 115g 1150 tours, but yesterday was a good enough striking day to comment some. The weight difference even when rotating back and forth was negligable, other than the SW feels like more with my BBs and I may lead tape the Staffs but way early for that kind of fine tuning. I was at a PGA sup store the other day and hit the staff 7 iron with the DG pro, and the 130s feel tangibly nicer, so super pumped on that. They may add some to the dead feeling, but in general I can't emphasize enough how much different the feedback really is between the staffs (again, smallish forged players CB without much "forgiveness", it is stunning how back to back the BBs instantly tell you where you are and how "dead" the staffs are in a striaght comparison).

As far as flight, my new swing moves are giving me a higher flight, even with my X100 in gap wedge. The 130s though give me a strong flight, very similar to DGS300, maybe a tad higher but I was also hitting into a good 15MPH steady headwind, so I can't say for sure, and I still hit the 1150s more piercing but I think that is the BB head more than the shaft. I like them more than the 120s, they feel less lose to me. I feel like they are alot closer to a dgs300 than the 120s, in terms of flight I like them, I don't have a violent swing (working on a less handsy start to down swing though that can be aggressive) so I get along with alot of shafts except I hate KBS tours and at this point there is no reason to not play nippons over DG since they are really good on flight and accuracy and the feel is truly night and day to me, I prefer 120/125/130 modus and 1150s over pretty much everything but I definitely like the the 130s over the 120s and 125s I have played in the past. I did have a tendency to go a little left yesterday with them over my miuras, but again, heads and working on swing, I will say that my push fades when I chicken winged a few did seem to go stronger than that shot usually does for me, still a weak terrible shot, but they carried better and didn't go as far right as I can hit them.

I am sure that is all vague, but you asked specifically about them to DGS300 and I think that is apt as they seem to be a better comparison flight wise to the 300s vs say the 120s. Again, I am 3 range trips and working on a new tempo/sync more than swing with new clubs so I guess the best I can do is say they are VERY comfortable in flight and direction.

Thanks, you stated that well.

I am growing fonder of DG on irons ( liking the kick) but Nippons really intrigue and any insight on the nuances of 120 vs 125 vs 130, especially in relation to S300's is quite helpful.

Looking to re-shaft the Maruman's (which are spectacular) and Precision 6.5's await but I was maybe considering Modus shafts for them. The heads are worth vetting all options on.

I recently snagged a set of MacGregor 1025CM irons from Flatstik in the GEA swap shop. I have always loved the look of these irons, and never thought I had the game for them…well…what a mistake that was.

Upon buying them, I had them lengthened to play off of a 39" 5 iron, and re-gripped them. I left the lie angles alone.

Look at address is simply what you expect…intimidating as hell, tiny, skinny top line, very little offset, and a fairly sharp leading edge..you know, a blade.

The first few swings took a bit to build some confidence, but it was not long before I was just smashing the ball, clean and pure.

The ball flight is what I like…very penetrating, and kind of flat, it's as if the ball jumps up high, flattens out and just goes. These have older factory installed Tour flighted Rifle 6.0 shafts, which I've had before, and love them.

Out of the rough is interesting…the first few times, I did not fair well, but I sort of figured out how to come in a bit steeper and catch the ball FIRST and not get tangled up, and now these clubs are magic out of the rough.

I have two shots I like to hit, and for some reason, these irons just set up beautifully for me to do that and allow me to execute it. I like to hit a high cut with a 8 iron or less, and I like to hit a hot little knock down from 100 yards or less with the PW that comes in low with a lot of spin, and it pretty much just hopes once and then releases and rolls a bit. it's a very good shot into the wind.

The clubs feel incredibly solid, and it's kind of like a very muted CLICK at impact on a good shot. Shots on the toe feel less than good, but ball flight and distance penalties are actually no worse than with my Callaway X18 irons.

Additionally…these clubs are magic around the greens for hitting a little running chip shot.

I know a lot of folks have argued about playing blades or not playing blades to improve your ball striking, etc. Well…I can tell you that playing these has helped me. When I approach a shot now, I really focus on contacting the ball first and hitting the center of the club face. When I have an approach or tee shot, I now feel confidence that I am going to hit a very solid shot and more than likely achieve what I was looking to accomplish with that shot. Maybe I'm just slowing down my routine a bit and thinking a bit more about it.

I am still embarked on my quest to break 80, and shot an even 80 today, and got hosed on the last hole. I needed a par for a 79, and hit an approach from 150 that was executed as I wanted it to…it landed about a foot short and instead of bounding forward onto the green…it hit a small ground under repair spot and rolled back down the front of the green. I couldn't get my chip close enough to save par. Regardless…I hit the ball very well off the tee, my approach shots were crisp and clean, and I had 5 legit birdie opportunities that I did not convert, and I managed to save par a couple of times when I was looking at a bogey.

You picked a great model blade to start on. One of the modern classics IMO.

Congrats on proving to yourself what is real and what is ingrained marketing!

Breaking 80 for the first time is really really difficult. It becomes a number you get fixated on and that in turn creates more pressure. You can't play free, you play keeping track of shots given up and holes left , it still plagues me.

Yeah nard, dg is the gold standard pun intended in what we expect in terms of a controlled shot. the heavier nippons are really just like na ultra refined version, but the 130 to me is by far most like dgs. I am going to want to play my new clubs on sat in that scramble I have coming up, I hope it is not a mistake if I do. I saw the guy who invited me and said "so you aren't like trying to win this are you?".....bad question, he looks at me funny and says "well I assembled the best team I could from guys I know and I am expecting at least 14 under....to which I said "well I just started with a new guy and am making some swing adjustments and it is pretty touch and go right now so I am not sure what I can bring, I am even messing with my putting stroke. If I read him correctly aside from his words he didn't want to hear that hahaha.

Between the cheating in scrambles and the fact it just comes down to making putts, who knows. Of course he shoots in the mid 90s but apparently his other 2 are "good ". who knows, I just know he is that guy that wants to show well with good team. I wouldn't feel like I had a chance to win a scramble unless I was at least tied for worst golfer in group with other 2 being strong.

You picked a great model blade to start on. One of the modern classics IMO.

Since you are new here Osnola, I will let you know that if Oldplayer says you have a great iron set.........you have a great iron set.....

In this brothel of most lascivious blade users, Oldplayer is the house madam.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Haxie! Welcome to the Land o' Blades! :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors