2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

New Epon Iron Pics on tsg

flopshot99

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='flopshot99' timestamp='1422806007' post='10861923']
Chris posted the epon 303 and new af tour pics and hybrid. My friend In Japan tried both new irons and said they were sensational. Epon is definately considered the best, the pricing is high though.
[/quote]

Flop,

I love you man, but to say "Epon is definitely the best" is just not accurate.
What is best is what works for each individual player.

Epon, is special, no question but so are a lot of other brands.

I quickly tried to find a club ranking to prove my point and Epon did not even make mention by TourSpecGolf in Sept 2014.
http://www.tourspecgolf.com/japanese-golf-club-rankings

I know if I dig further, I'd find a difference of opinion.

Again, Epon is special and I almost bought a set but I wanted something with less offset.

[quote name='Hack1' timestamp='1422809202' post='10862279']
Chris posted the epon 303 and new af tour pics and hybrid. My friend In Japan tried both new irons and said they were sensational. Epon is definately considered the best, the pricing is high though.
[/quote]

Flop,

I quickly tried to find a club ranking to prove my point and Epon did not even make mention by TourSpecGolf in Sept 2014.
[url="http://www.tourspecgolf.com/japanese-golf-club-rankings"]http://www.tourspecg...f-club-rankings[/url]

Again, Epon is special and I almost bought a set but I wanted something with less offset.
[/quote]

Epon is not in TSG's rankings b/c TSG is no longer an authorized Epon dealer

The last sentence in the link clarifies which products qualify for ranking

[color=#000000]"All clubs that are still current in a brands lineup and offered through the Tourspecgolf.com store qualify."[/color]

[/quote]

Flop,

[url="http://www.tourspecgolf.com/japanese-golf-club-rankings"]http://www.tourspecg...f-club-rankings[/url]

[/quote]

Tourspecgolf USED to distribute Epon clubs... but at the time of your 'rankings' you should realise they had been stopped from selling Epon clubs for some time... and had been acting quite butt hurt about it.

You could look back at the Tourspecgolf review of the Epon AF-302 for instance:-
http://www.tourspecgolf.com/blog/epon-af-302-forged-iron-review/

"[color=#242424][size=5]I love a lot of things about this iron and easily put it in the [/size][/color][b]top 5 cavity backs of all time[/b][color=#242424][size=5], That's right of ALL TIME it's got too many pro's to be overooked and it's con's are few and far between. It takes a club snob like myself to spot them out and even my criticisms may not be correct to many. Epon continues to put out astounding product!"[/size][/color]

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

That 303 sure is going to create a lot of buzz .
I'm going to be very interested to hear from guys once they get to try it to see how it stacks up to the 302 .
Any one know when the official release is ?

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[/quote]

Flop,

[/quote]

Epon is Endo's house brand. That should tell you something.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

For some reason those 2 looked like the Japanese version of the s55 and i25

Callaway Big Bertha Epic Sub Zero 9* - Fujikura Atmos Tour spec 6S
Bombtech Grenade 3 wood
Callaway Apex UT 21* - NS Pro Modus Tour 105S
Honma 727V 4-PW with NS Pro Modus Tour 120s
Titleist SM5 50*
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD3 58*
Wilson 8802

[quote name='Batman1971' timestamp='1422823209' post='10863793']
I'm going to be very interested to hear from guys once they get to try it to see how it stacks up to the 302 .
[/quote]

I have 2 sets of 302s and for me I will be ordering the AF Tours. I think the AF Tours are the replacements for the 302 and not the 303 version. IMO

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1422900261' post='10869095']
[/quote]

I have 2 sets of 302s and for me I will be ordering the AF Tours. I think the AF Tours are the replacements for the 302 and not the 303 version. IMO
[/quote]

It's certainly an interesting evolution that Epon has taken here .
There were a lot of people that were surprised when Epon had the pocket cavity in the scoring irons of the 503s . The 303s look very similar to the 503s but without the pocket cavity of course .
They seem to be a lot more GI than the previous 300 series . It's almost like the 303s are falling right in the middle of the 500s & 300s .
I will be interested to hear how they & the AF Tours play .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1422863048' post='10867117']
[/quote]

Flop,

[/quote]

[/quote]
They take the same carbon, use the same people, tweek some designs and charge the unsuspecting golfer more for the same work, what does that tell me? There is no significant innovation here really. Having said that, would I buy the new 303 if I had the dough, tested them and wanted them. Of course I would. People buy Honda's with an Acura badge, Ford's with a Lincoln badge, Chevy's with a Cadillac badge etc. etc.

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1422900261' post='10869095']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would have disagreed but more pictures have been posted, you are definitely right. 4/5 303, 6-P AF tour would be an awesome set. Give us an update when you hit these, and maybe a PM on where you find them locally now that PI is no more.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='Doublebuck' timestamp='1423283783' post='10904039']
[quote name='mdgboxx' timestamp='1422863048' post='10867117']
[/quote]

Flop,

[/quote]

[/quote]
They take the same carbon, use the same people, tweek some designs and charge the unsuspecting golfer more for the same work, what does that tell me? There is no significant innovation here really. Having said that, would I buy the new 303 if I had the dough, tested them and wanted them. Of course I would. People buy Honda's with an Acura badge, Ford's with a Lincoln badge, Chevy's with a Cadillac badge etc. etc.
[/quote]

Every OEM has proprietary specs for the designing/making of their clubs.

Acushnet was making Spalding (Top Flite) golf balls with a Titleist badge, and guess what happened to them. It's called patent infringement.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

[quote name='vanla01' timestamp='1422806847' post='10862017']
Here ya go!
[/quote]

The AF Tours looks similar to the AF 301.

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero Double Diamond Ventus TR Blue 6S tipped 1.5"

Callaway Epic Flash Subzero 15* bonded Ventus TR Blue 7S tipped 1.25"

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 20* Ventus TR Blue 8S tipped 1.5"

Epon AF Tour 4-PW Modus 105 Stiff
Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 51, 55, 59 Modus 115 and 125 Wedge Shaft

Byron Morgan 612 GSS

Anybody that hasn't tried an Epon are missing something.........

One of the things not yet mentioned about their irons is that they are all to spec..... Really tight tolerances, if that matters to you then give these boys a whirl, the feel is very soft, maybe that is something you like but maybe you like something a little clickier.

I used to buy nEw clubs every year, bought my 302s 5 years ago and still haven't found anything as good.

[quote name='corky' timestamp='1423699256' post='10934655']
Anybody that hasn't tried an Epon are missing something.........

One of the things not yet mentioned about their irons is that they are all to spec..... Really tight tolerances, if that matters to you then give these boys a whirl, the feel is very soft, maybe that is something you like but maybe you like something a little clickier.

I used to buy nEw clubs every year, bought my 302s 5 years ago and still haven't found anything as good.
[/quote]

Have you tried Miura? ;)

Couple points here:

- For those who say that a piece of metal is a piece of metal, or a forging is a forging...I don't think that captures the whole story. Materials do differ, and design and manufacturing tolerances matter (Endo does not apply the same tolerences when they produce as OEM as they do making Epon unless they are paid to do so). Armani and Banana Republic are not the same. You may find value in the differences, and that is certainly your prerogative, but they are not the same. Club builders will tell you that by and large.

- Resale value is a funny bird. Epon and Miura may not hold their value that much better than others, depending on the time frame in question. $1,000-1,200 resale for a $2,800-3,000 set of irons is not that fantastic for the original owner. Now, they tend to hold value longer because JDM releases new models less frequently in general, but there is a pretty significant drove-it-off-the-lot effect. Additionally, when new models are released, resale drops pretty dramatically if the new model is deemed better.

On the first point, JDM is worth the difference to me, but I understand those for whom it is not. On the second point, that's all part of the equation of deciding if or when to get into the market.

I was hoping the Epon 302s would shave stopped my club buying and save me some cash but sadly it has gotten worse and even more expensive !!!! I started out with a set of used copper AF302s and then graduated to a new set of coppers and then bought a set of satin 302s to use because the coppers were no longer being made and then purchased a set of SUS plated and then a set of non plated and then a set of chrome 302s which i was planning to refinish in black and then a absolutely stunning set of Personals and then a set of Aftour/302 combos followed by another set of satin 302s now I'm eyeing the 303s !

[quote name='puresurfr' timestamp='1423842647' post='10945609']
I was hoping the Epon 302s would shave stopped my club buying and save me some cash but sadly it has gotten worse and even more expensive !!!! I started out with a set of used copper AF302s and then graduated to a new set of coppers and then bought a set of satin 302s to use because the coppers were no longer being made and then purchased a set of SUS plated and then a set of non plated and then a set of chrome 302s which i was planning to refinish in black and then a absolutely stunning set of Personals and then a set of Aftour/302 combos followed by another set of satin 302s now I'm eyeing the 303s !
[/quote]

TSG has a two layer refinish, there are pics of copper under a dark satin, the copper comes through but barely. That's the plan when mine wear out. I applaud your ho'ing though

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='puresurfr' timestamp='1423842647' post='10945609']
[/quote]

How did you get a set of chrome 302 irons, I don't recall that being an option? How does the feel and looks compare for the sus 316s?

I recently noticed on the epon US site a "seen on the pga tour logo" for the 302s, any idea who's gaming these for free? Thanks.

http://epongolf.us/products-af-302.html