SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Thanks to Golfwrx for setting up and running the new golf ball testing with your members.. we sent the golf balls out Friday to the list you provided and are excited to hear the reviews in the coming weeks.. and congrats to Jordan Spieth.. true champion and first class guy.. we have many years of great golf to watch ahead with this guy...

Big fan of the Ball. Played with it for the first time on Friday. Definitely as long as the ProV1X if not slightly longer. Makes a completely different sound of the club, especially the driver. With scoring clubs it's very compliant. My only performance gripe would be durability. I found the feel slightly different with the putter but nothing detrimental. Aesthetically I'd prefer the logo and labeling be a touch more discrete but thats just me being petty. I'll be playing with it again once I wipe out my ProV1X stash.

TM SIM 9 degree HZRDUS SMOKE GRN
Cobra F6 3w w/ Fuji Atmos
Titleist 910H 17* Kai'Li
Callaway Apex Forged w/ Shimada Tour
Titleist SM5 50, SM6 Brushed Copper 54, Wedgeworks 58 Low Bounce K Grind
Rife 2-Bar

A couple rounds now trying out the Snells. Performance is good, on par with Srixon XV, Lethal, Provx etc. The complaint i have is the Snells are definitely not durable. They look terrible after a few holes and the cover scuffs and shreds pretty easily. I used a couple snells for 2 short game sessions and they are basically unplayable now. Legal grooves too.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Got 3 rounds with the "My Tour ball" and all I can say is WOW! Great spin near the greens, Longer off the tee.. Best ball I've ever played and I usually play a ProV

Have a few to my buddy's to try out and they all felt the same way, and ordered some

I Just ordered another dozen another dozen of the tour ball, and a dozen of "Get Some" to try out and compare ..

Wish I can buy them Local

Just played 18 with the "My Tour Ball" against a ProV1, chrome soft and lethal. I played 18 with the Snell and a few holes each with the others just to get an idea of how they compare. Overall the My Tour Ball was my favorite. It provided the best combination of distance, feel and spin. At least for this round it did. I wouldn't have trouble gaming any one of those balls but I think Im going to stick with the Snell for the time being. Im going to test it out against the new Srixon XV, Tour Preferred and RZN Platinum because I have a 3 pack of each laying around and because my bag is all set and the only thing left for me to tinker with is my ball haha.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

One round in w/ the balls and I thought they were great. The playing conditions aren't quite up to snuff being up in Minnesota in the early part of the year but from what I could tell, the ball is a winner. Driver distance, short game performance, etc all seem to be great.

Ping G430Max 10k - Ping G425Max 14* - Ping G430 19* - Ping G710 (4,5) - Ping i210 (6-U) - Ping S159 56* - Odyssey 7s - Chrome Tour

One round in w/ the balls and I thought they were great. The playing conditions aren't quite up to snuff being up in Minnesota in the early part of the year but from what I could tell, the ball is a winner. Driver distance, short game performance, etc all seem to be great.

Ping G430Max 10k - Ping G425Max 14* - Ping G430 19* - Ping G710 (4,5) - Ping i210 (6-U) - Ping S159 56* - Odyssey 7s - Chrome Tour

Bought a dozen my tour ball and from the fairway they feel soft and have very good control. Soft and long off the driver - felt like a marshmallow off the wedges and I came up short frequently - even though I knew I had to hit it harder. Not sure if it was the spin or what but they dropped and stopped on the green from a short pitch and did't roll out like I was used to. I really like the soft feel but the overly soft wedges and pitches were not predictable for me. Will play through the dozen and make a final eval.

Bought a dozen my tour ball and from the fairway they feel soft and have very good control. Soft and long off the driver - felt like a marshmallow off the wedges and I came up short frequently - even though I knew I had to hit it harder. Not sure if it was the spin or what but they dropped and stopped on the green from a short pitch and did't roll out like I was used to. I really like the soft feel but the overly soft wedges and pitches were not predictable for me. Will play through the dozen and make a final eval.

Thnaks Golfwrx for the coninued product test postings... love the feedback.. we have also sent some balls to Golfwrx to send out to their selected testers to rate the performance of both models.. this is now an active post under forums/tour-prelease section.. so keep em coming and if anyone has any technical questions related to golf balls or golf ball technology as a whole, I would happy to answer the best I can... dean.

[color=#181818][size=3][background=rgb(253, 252, 250)]I get asked alot of times how players should test golf balls... today, we make tour balls and 2-pc balls with the same spin and launch, so they all go around the same distance... but they are truly different from 100 yards and in.. on full sand wedges, tour balls can have twice the spin over some 2-pc balls, thus resulting in more control into the greens.. and average players miss 16 or so greens a around (18 handicappers) so effectively they have 16 or so short par three's to play... so you should want the ball to have more spin on these shots to help stop closer to the pin, and maybe cut some of the 3 putts down... maybe even make a few up and downs to save par or bogey... take the various golf ball models out on a course.. play 4 or 5 holes from 100 yards and in.. hit several shot.. 100, 70, 30 yards, chips putts... get a goof feel of how they react or feel or spin... find the ball you like on these shots, and trust that they will all go similar off the driver... you play most of your golf around the greens, so heres where you can take shots off your game using technology... if you walk off the course saying you cannot tell any difference from tour balls and 2pc balls, then buy the cheapest one... [/background][/size][/color]

I know I stay away from tour type balls due to my swing speed, 85 with driver, and hearing people say they are much harder to control off the tee.

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

@bwhitish In my opinion, you do not have to worry about swing speed and driver distance in golf balls.. EVERY player compresses the ball enough to activate all layers in the ball. The covers are actually only 0.030" to 0.070" thick depending on ball types.. so easy to get through the covers and into the speed of the ball... there are lots of high speed video that shows all swing speeds compress the ball... and driver spin rates on tour balls are very similar (nowadays) to 2-pc golf balls... I like to put it this way... think about your round.. or even narrow it down to a hole.. say 400 yards.. you hit one drive lets now say that you "think" you hit the lower compression 2-pc ball great and it went 250 yards... and now you have 150 yards left.. where you have to play your next 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 shots.. and you are sitting in a fairway with very low spinning low compression ball that now you have to finish the hole with... this is where average players need spin to help stop on the greens.. help closer to the pin.. reduce putts, and lower scores... but you are out there 150 yards out with a ball that does not have any of this spin...so you one tee shot of 250 has you left with limited performance for the rest of the hole.. now multiply that by 14 holes (assuming 3 par threes which you also do not have any spin on the ball) and thats a lot of potential shots that could be improved... if you hit the tour ball out there and if in your mind you think it is 0.5 mph slower cause you cannot compress it, well you driver is not 249.5 yards... and you have 150.5 yards left to play with a ball that has a lot more performance to help you... So, sorry for long example here, but I can tell you that today most balls all go similar distances off the tee no matter what the players swing speed it... but the true differences in performance is 150 yards and in... where you play the most and need it the most.. hope this helps..thanks

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1430135413' post='11449593']
@bwhitish In my opinion, you do not have to worry about swing speed and driver distance in golf balls.. EVERY player compresses the ball enough to activate all layers in the ball. The covers are actually only 0.030" to 0.070" thick depending on ball types.. so easy to get through the covers and into the speed of the ball... there are lots of high speed video that shows all swing speeds compress the ball... and driver spin rates on tour balls are very similar (nowadays) to 2-pc golf balls... I like to put it this way... think about your round.. or even narrow it down to a hole.. say 400 yards.. you hit one drive lets now say that you "think" you hit the lower compression 2-pc ball great and it went 250 yards... and now you have 150 yards left.. where you have to play your next 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 shots.. and you are sitting in a fairway with very low spinning low compression ball that now you have to finish the hole with... this is where average players need spin to help stop on the greens.. help closer to the pin.. reduce putts, and lower scores... but you are out there 150 yards out with a ball that does not have any of this spin...so you one tee shot of 250 has you left with limited performance for the rest of the hole.. now multiply that by 14 holes (assuming 3 par threes which you also do not have any spin on the ball) and thats a lot of potential shots that could be improved... if you hit the tour ball out there and if in your mind you think it is 0.5 mph slower cause you cannot compress it, well you driver is not 249.5 yards... and you have 150.5 yards left to play with a ball that has a lot more performance to help you... So, sorry for long example here, but I can tell you that today most balls all go similar distances off the tee no matter what the players swing speed it... but the true differences in performance is 150 yards and in... where you play the most and need it the most.. hope this helps..thanks
[/quote]

Have always loved the idea of fitting backwards Masshole :) (inside joke from tmag seminar)
Whatever balls fits you best in your short game.
Love the Fitting pack idea also.

JWF

ALL Taylormade :)

Dean thanks for the answer! Im going to give the My Tour Ball a try. Really like the idea of more spin on chips than my current Callaway Supersoft.

PXG 0811 XF Gen 4 10.5 Evenflow Riptide 50 A
PXG 0211 5 Wood 18 Evenflow Riptide 50A
PXG 0211 Hybrid 22 Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
PXG 0211 XCor 2 6-LW Mitsubishi MMT 60 A
Ping Anser 2 Karsten 1959

Ping Traverse

Kirkland Performance Plus V2

[quote name='jwfgolfpro' timestamp='1430135855' post='11449613']
[/quote]

Have always loved the idea of fitting backwards Masshole :) (inside joke from tmag seminar)

JWF
[/quote]
I got the inside joke.. good memory... one of the things I hope to be able to offer the Golfwrx Forum readers is some insight on golf ball technology like the one listed here.... have had lots of questions in the past about fitting, compression, temperature, tour testing, etc.... and if I can help answer any of these, would be happy to do so... either on this link here or another new topic..I'm new to this stuff on line, so I will let someone take the lead on best way to get some answers to the readers...will try to get on line daily and answer as many as I can...Thanks again for the support and feedback on the golf balls...

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1430181079' post='11454779'][quote name='jwfgolfpro' timestamp='1430135855' post='11449613']
[/quote]

JWF
[/quote]
I got the inside joke.. good memory... one of the things I hope to be able to offer the Golfwrx Forum readers is some insight on golf ball technology like the one listed here.... have had lots of questions in the past about fitting, compression, temperature, tour testing, etc.... and if I can help answer any of these, would be happy to do so... either on this link here or another new topic..I'm new to this stuff on line, so I will let someone take the lead on best way to get some answers to the readers...will try to get on line daily and answer as many as I can...Thanks again for the support and feedback on the golf balls...[/quote]

Great idea Dean! We have Tom Wishon as an active contributor for all things club related, now we will have Dean Snell as our resident ball expert!

Jorge

I haven't had a chance to check out the My Tour Ball yet, but Dean needs to bring back the TP/RED.LDP or something very similar. I've still got 2 dozen brand new that I'll never play because I can't replace that ball. :(

TM '16 M2 9.5*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3w 15*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3h 19*/stock S
TM RSi TP 4-PW/KBS Tour S
TM Milled Grind 52*/56*/60*
TM Ghost Tour Black Daytona SuperStroke

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1430181079' post='11454779']
I got the inside joke.. good memory... one of the things I hope to be able to offer the Golfwrx Forum readers is some insight on golf ball technology like the one listed here.... have had lots of questions in the past about fitting, compression, [color=#ff0000][b]temperature[/b][/color], tour testing, etc.... and if I can help answer any of these, would be happy to do so... either on this link here or another new topic..I'm new to this stuff on line, so I will let someone take the lead on best way to get some answers to the readers...will try to get on line daily and answer as many as I can...Thanks again for the support and feedback on the golf balls...
[/quote]

Would you mind sharing your thoughts/experience on temperature a bit? I play in MN and temperature is always a huge issue here, especially at this time of year. Last week I played in what I would consider cold temps, low-mid 40's. I've played in temps as cold as the mid-upper 20's before and as warm as 110'+. To me, the ball always feels harder in cold temps and seems to play that way as well. It doesn't travel as far, sometimes noticeably shorter and seems to land a bit "hotter" too. As a result, I've always gravitated toward super soft and low compression balls in the cold weather. I've even played a fair number of "ladies" balls over the years when the weather was bad. Of course, I don't know how much of this is due to the ball vs personally being bundled up and cold. When it's really hot out, the ball just has a little softer feel but I don't notice much changes in behavior, if any. It would be great to get a better understanding of what is actually going on with the ball when it's 35' out vs 95'. Thanks!

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

Played back to back rounds at Bethpage State Park (Red then Green) a couple weeks ago playing a Top Flite Gamer for the first round and a Snell My Tour for the second. I'm a 15 handicap factor who is terrible chipping and putting. My observations were as follows:

-My tee shots and fairway woods were significantly straighter with the Top Flite - Now this could have been a swing change from one day to the next but the Snell ball did seem to move a lot more left to right when I brought out the long sticks. Sent two tee shots out of bounds with the Snell (but fortunately recovered one from the other side of the fence). Didn't lose any Top Flites, finishing the first round penalty free.

-Snell ball flew significantly higher on mid iron and short iron approaches - expect this is due to increased back spin spin rate. Made some great aproaches from 140-170 yards as a result. First ever birdie in the state of new york with a Snell!

-Greens were pretty shaggy so it was difficult to judge differences in green side spin. Generally both balls sat down pretty well

-Snell ball makes for more interesting conversation - although I am pretty proud of the Top Flite balls I bought last year at $10 a dozen

-Finished the first round with 86 (Top Flite) and the second with 90 (Snell). The difference is really attributable to the two OB tee shots

Playing again a couple times this week at my home course in Canada which has just opened up. Look forward to giving the Snells another few gos. From what I can tell, they perform just as well as the pro v1s and other premium balls I've played. It's really just a matter of proving to myself that they perform better than the top flites I stocked up on last year.

[quote name='rebby' timestamp='1430237011' post='11458469']
[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1430181079' post='11454779']
I got the inside joke.. good memory... one of the things I hope to be able to offer the Golfwrx Forum readers is some insight on golf ball technology like the one listed here.... have had lots of questions in the past about fitting, compression, [color=#ff0000][b]temperature[/b][/color], tour testing, etc.... and if I can help answer any of these, would be happy to do so... either on this link here or another new topic..I'm new to this stuff on line, so I will let someone take the lead on best way to get some answers to the readers...will try to get on line daily and answer as many as I can...Thanks again for the support and feedback on the golf balls...
[/quote]

Would you mind sharing your thoughts/experience on temperature a bit? I play in MN and temperature is always a huge issue here, especially at this time of year. Last week I played in what I would consider cold temps, low-mid 40's. I've played in temps as cold as the mid-upper 20's before and as warm as 110'+. To me, the ball always feels harder in cold temps and seems to play that way as well. It doesn't travel as far, sometimes noticeably shorter and seems to land a bit "hotter" too. As a result, I've always gravitated toward super soft and low compression balls in the cold weather. I've even played a fair number of "ladies" balls over the years when the weather was bad. Of course, I don't know how much of this is due to the ball vs personally being bundled up and cold. When it's really hot out, the ball just has a little softer feel but I don't notice much changes in behavior, if any. It would be great to get a better understanding of what is actually going on with the ball when it's 35' out vs 95'. Thanks!
[/quote]

The golf ball can be very sensitive to temperature, especially in real cold or even real hot temps.. A golf ball has its optimal performance when stored and played at between 70-90F.. when the temps get colder, the materials can stiffen, lose elasticity and subsequently feel firmer, have less spin and lose velocity and distance. I have seen some golf ball constructions lose 6 to 7 mph in driver ball speed when tested at 40F.. that can be 10-15 yards in distance loss... conversely, when the temp gets about 90, up in to the 100F or 110F, the covers can soften a bit, thus increasing the spin rate and losing ball speed.. higher spin and slower speeds can also be a big distance loss... So, my suggestion is to always store your golf balls in your home or where the temp will be around 70F... then even if you go out to play at 40F, the balls will not ever get to that temp in a round, so the distance loss is reduced... same at 100F.. if stored and start the round around room temp (70F) they will never get up to 100F during the round... so if you keep a couple of golf balls in your pocket, and rotate them from hole to hole, you should help reduce this distance, feel and spin change... do not leave them in your car overnight in MN or WI or anywhere cold, then go play in the morning... that is the worst case scenario... keep them indoors until time to tee em up when weather is real hot or real cold...

Oh great, Dean is going to start selling temp controlled golf ball humidors lol!

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

[quote name='slicktry' timestamp='1430333885' post='11467169']
Oh great, Dean is going to start selling temp controlled golf ball humidors lol!

God Bless
Jer
[/quote]

Actually, for people in certain places (i.e. desert in the summer, everywhere that snows in the winter) that might not be a bad idea. Take an old cigar humidor or a wine cooler and set to optimal temp and humidity. I'm a big fan of the shelf as far from sun and fluctuations in temperature and humidity as I can get in my place.

I smell a "do-it-yourself" kit coming from Snell Golf. Turn any household box into a golf ball storage system. :)