SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Dean Snell is known for high quality urethane golf balls. I'd suggest drop the low end two piece ball. I can't see people in that market ordering them online - rather they'd just go to Walmart or Dicks and get the cheap daily special. Instead offer a second urethane ball like all the competitors offer. Either a high and low flight ball, or a high and low compression ball, etc. Cater to the serious golfer looking for a better price. Just my two cents here.

[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1430615017' post='11488137']
Dean Snell is known for high quality urethane golf balls. I'd suggest drop the low end two piece ball. I can't see people in that market ordering them online - rather they'd just go to Walmart or Dicks and get the cheap daily special. Instead offer a second urethane ball like all the competitors offer. Either a high and low flight ball, or a high and low compression ball, etc. Cater to the serious golfer looking for a better price. Just my two cents here.
[/quote]

I think you hit it -

My Tour Ball is very good performance-wise....with value that stands out relative to price vs more expensive balls

Once established - there may be a market for a 2nd urethane ball

I agree the Get Sum ball likely works for the guy that typically buys whatever is on sale/clearance

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Pre ordered My tour Ball . After 4 rounds here is what I found for my 98 to 105 driver SS

Snell longer off driver by 5 to 8 yds

Irons no significant difference except in feel . Softer than usual Pro VIX less click in sound off iron face.
Irons Mizuno MP 69 with Modus 120 s flex

Softer off putter face ( See More SB1 mallet)

Chipping one or two hops the rollout similar to putt

Long irons appear to have slightly higher flight than Pro V IX

Excellent spin 95 yds and less.

Doug Ferreri

www.PaulBertholy.com

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

[quote name='otw' timestamp='1430690003' post='11491649']
Pre ordered My tour Ball . After 4 rounds here is what I found for my 98 to 105 driver SS

Snell longer off driver by 5 to 8 yds

Irons no significant difference except in feel . Softer than usual Pro VIX less click in sound off iron face.
Irons Mizuno MP 69 with Modus 120 s flex

Softer off putter face ( See More SB1 mallet)

Chipping one or two hops the rollout similar to putt

Long irons appear to have slightly higher flight than Pro V IX

Excellent spin 95 yds and less.

Doug Ferreri

www.PaulBertholy.com
[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback...appreciate you taking the time to play and post...

[quote name='tmfool ' timestamp='1430678485' post='11490803']
[quote name='cristphoto' timestamp='1430615017' post='11488137']
[/quote]

I think you hit it -

My Tour Ball is very good performance-wise....with value that stands out relative to price vs more expensive balls

Once established - there may be a market for a 2nd urethane ball

I agree the Get Sum ball likely works for the guy that typically buys whatever is on sale/clearance
[/quote]
thanks.. we are always looking at new protos, and in fact just got in some new protos for testing this week... so stay tuned... love the feedback from players so keep them coming.

I think the only question that remains to be answered is :

can a high performance ball - that is priced 30% lower than competition - be successful using the "direct to consumer" business model?

I know I'd rather spend $32 vs $48 - for the same performance

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

Agree. This does have to be answered. I hope to provide consumers with a little more than just a golf ball on the shelf. We have a tech forum on the site that can answer any questions people may have. I am also willing to answer any here on golfwrx if that helps. Not just about snell golf but also about golf ball technology. Agree it is a new model. And takes some planning on both ends. I think back a bit how people bought rental movies. How they shopped for electronics. How they also bought Xmas presents. Not sure anyone would have guessed a big swing in these purchasing habits to using or buying on line. One of my favorite sayings is Let it Develop. I am a big fan of the crawl walk and run system. Take it slow, learn and try to do things right. Going too big too fast results in too many mistakes. So I appreciate those who have giving the ball a try and purchased online. I hope you will like the performance and savings and continue to grow this new way together.

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1430864758' post='11505621']
Agree. This does have to be answered. I hope to provide consumers with a little more than just a golf ball on the shelf. We have a tech forum on the site that can answer any questions people may have. I am also willing to answer any here on golfwrx if that helps. Not just about snell golf but also about golf ball technology. Agree it is a new model. And takes some planning on both ends. I think back a bit how people bought rental movies. How they shopped for electronics. How they also bought Xmas presents. Not sure anyone would have guessed a big swing in these purchasing habits to using or buying on line. One of my favorite sayings is Let it Develop. I am a big fan of the crawl walk and run system. Take it slow, learn and try to do things right. Going too big too fast results in too many mistakes. So I appreciate those who have giving the ball a try and purchased online. I hope you will like the performance and savings and continue to grow this new way together.
[/quote]I own 3 businesses myself so I understand what my upcoming question means to a business but I'm going to ask anyway... Have you considered customization options? For example; I love the "My Number" option with TaylorMade balls and the custom printing available at sites like golfballs.com. Personally, I'm much more likely to order something online and wait if I can have it customized. Of course, customization isn't exactly an inexpensive option for a business so it is a double edged sword. Thoughts?

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread

We are actually qualifying a custom ink option as we speak. Have samples coming back for testing and if all looms good we should be good to go with that option. That would be for custom side stamps and personal logos on side. Not for individual numbers. That would be very hard to do logistically for us at this time. And you are right can be expensive. We could look to price it out but think it would be very expensive for the volume size.

Honestly I have seen many good comments in durability and a few comments on the ink fading a bit with some shots. I am actually looking into the ink and think I can change the process to improve that. I have also heard a few comments about ink when hit out of sand. So yes have heard a few durability comments. But for the most part I think most of them have been fairly positive. This is without a doubt the toughest part of the ball design. So many different players. Different impacts. Different speeds. Different grooves. New and old clubs. Wet and dry conditions. When players play early in the wet grass the durability is typically worse than dry. So a lot of variables that we continuously study to hopefully get better.

I am on my second sleeve of the my tour ball,I love this ball. As others have said the distance is as good as prov1's and much more durable.I seem to get some extra distance on my 4 wood with this ball. I am picky about what I putt with and prefer a softer feel, this ball has an excellent feel off my bettinardi milled face putter.I will be ordering more today. Thank you Mr. Snell for producing a high quality ball at a reasonable price.Also thanks to all who contribute to this forum, I never would have discovered this ball without you.

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1430866849' post='11505845']
Honestly I have seen many good comments in durability and a few comments on the ink fading a bit with some shots. I am actually looking into the ink and think I can change the process to improve that. I have also heard a few comments about ink when hit out of sand. So yes have heard a few durability comments. But for the most part I think most of them have been fairly positive. This is without a doubt the toughest part of the ball design. So many different players. Different impacts. Different speeds. Different grooves. New and old clubs. Wet and dry conditions. When players play early in the wet grass the durability is typically worse than dry. So a lot of variables that we continuously study to hopefully get better.
[/quote]

Great to have you here answering questions direct to golfers...And I am hoping to be giving these a test very soon.

One part of the above quoted statement is very interesting and now I'm curious to understand more about how wet grass can have a greater effect on durability.

If you could possibly explain this a bit more that would be very cool. My intuition would have me initially believe that with less friction, durability would increase.

Friend of mine was playing these last weekend and swears by them. I'll give them a try when I need more balls.

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Time for a completely shallow question, but one that has always been on my mind in regards to golf balls. The question is this: WHY do companies, including Snell, choose the ball numbers they do? Seriously, this has been a question for me for quite a while. Certain companies refuse to use 4 as the word in Chinese and Japanese is too close to the word for death if I remember correctly (Vegas hotels do this too for ones that specifically cater to Asian clientele).

Why did you choose 00, 22, 33, 99 versus 11, 22, 33, 44 or a 55, 66, 77, 88 approach? I know there must be some logic to this and I must know why.

[quote name='tobybear' timestamp='1430963133' post='11513973']
[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1430866849' post='11505845']
[/quote]

Great to have you here answering questions direct to golfers...And I am hoping to be giving these a test very soon.

One part of the above quoted statement is very interesting and now I'm curious to understand more about how wet grass can have a greater effect on durability.

If you could possibly explain this a bit more that would be very cool. My intuition would have me initially believe that with less friction, durability would increase.
[/quote]
What happens at impact with irons is that the ball has a tendency to roll along the face. Therefore when the covers are softer the ball will compress a bit and the ball will roll along the face and come off lower with more spin. This is evident in softer covered tour type balls. On firmer covers the ball has a tendency to slide a bit along the face. Hence the higher flight and less spin. So when the club face gets wet, these tour type balls will also start to slide a bit more than roll. As the softer covers slide across the wet face they are more apt to be cut with the grooves. This the durability is worse. The water creates a barrier that prevents the ball from rolling Along the face like a normal shot will do. A lot of companies will actually spray the club face with water before hitting to test the shear durability.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1430976918' post='11515061']
Time for a completely shallow question, but one that has always been on my mind in regards to golf balls. The question is this: WHY do companies, including Snell, choose the ball numbers they do? Seriously, this has been a question for me for quite a while. Certain companies refuse to use 4 as the word in Chinese and Japanese is too close to the word for death if I remember correctly (Vegas hotels do this too for ones that specifically cater to Asian clientele).

Why did you choose 00, 22, 33, 99 versus 11, 22, 33, 44 or a 55, 66, 77, 88 approach? I know there must be some logic to this and I must know why.
[/quote]
Well as you know, golf balls are typically sold in 4 sleeves with 4 different numbers. This goes way back to where if the whole foursome were to play the same ball, there would be 4 different numbers to help identify. The numbers are whatever we want them to be. They are not part of the USGA submission to be conforming. That's why some companies can offer your own personal number. I have spoken to a lot of players over the years and found that the traditional single digit numbers are preferred by the serious players. Not all. But most. And double digits are preferred by avid or recreational players. So I mixed it up on the two balls. I have heard that people like the double digits and like the loom of the same numbers. I personally like 00. And being a former hockey player and huge fan still, like 99 for Gretzky. Then in all honesty I showed my kids the others and they liked 22 and 33. Nothing real scientific here. Haha. Thanks again for the question and support.

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1431000817' post='11515629']
[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1430976918' post='11515061']

[/quote]
Well as you know, golf balls are typically sold in 4 sleeves with 4 different numbers. This goes way back to where if the whole foursome were to play the same ball, there would be 4 different numbers to help identify. The numbers are whatever we want them to be. They are not part of the USGA submission to be conforming. That's why some companies can offer your own personal number. I have spoken to a lot of players over the years and found that the traditional single digit numbers are preferred by the serious players. Not all. But most. And double digits are preferred by avid or recreational players. So I mixed it up on the two balls. I have heard that people like the double digits and like the loom of the same numbers. I personally like 00. And being a former hockey player and huge fan still, like 99 for Gretzky. Then in all honesty I showed my kids the others and they liked 22 and 33. Nothing real scientific here. Haha. Thanks again for the question and support.
[/quote]

77 for the great Ray Borque for sure, and 99 is a given but don't want his scores on the greens. :) I would love to play 8 or 13 for Flash (Selanne), but the season I wore 13 on the ice is when I took a slapshot to the hand and broke my finger and 8 is a number you never want to see on the scorecard.

Played a My Tour Ball for the first time today. I really liked the ball. I have a 94-95 MPH driver swing speed and drove the ball excellent once I got my swing together on the back nine. I don't spin my short irons that much (15 hdcp) with a B330-RX but I had a number of mid-irons and short iron stick the greens today. I don't know if my swing speed is a fit for this ball but I really like the feel. Shot one of my best ever nines today at +2. Coincidence? Maybe, but I will continue to play this ball. Plus, I played one ball for 18. Fairway sand traps, rough, I put this ball through hell. Here are pictures of my ball from today and a new ball.

[quote name='preiter20' timestamp='1431214876' post='11529374']
Played a My Tour Ball for the first time today. I really liked the ball. I have a 94-95 MPH driver swing speed and drove the ball excellent once I got my swing together on the back nine. I don't spin my short irons that much (15 hdcp) with a B330-RX but I had a number of mid-irons and short iron stick the greens today. I don't know if my swing speed is a fit for this ball but I really like the feel. Shot one of my best ever nines today at +2. Coincidence? Maybe, but I will continue to play this ball. Plus, I played one ball for 18. Fairway sand traps, rough, I put this ball through hell. Here are pictures of my ball from today and a new ball.
[/quote]
Great news. Thanks for the review. Glad you like the performance.

Getting a lot of corroboration on here that the My Tour ball is longer than the ProV1x, but how does it compare spin-wise off the driver?

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1431361595' post='11538346']
Getting a lot of corroboration on here that the My Tour ball is longer than the ProV1x, but how does it compare spin-wise off the driver?
[/quote]
We have seen the Snell MY TOUR BALL have a slightly higher launch angle off the driver, with around 150 rpm less spin.. so this higher launch and lower spin is what will make the ball be longer with a driver.. remember to always try to get your launch angle up and driver spin down to increase distance.. a good target to shoot for is around 14 deg launch with 2200 -2300 backspin.. hope this helps.

Hi, I've used the ball and love it. Couple opinions (for what they're worth) as a small business owner:

Offer more shipping options. If people are late planners like me an overnight shipping option is welcome option, or two day, obviously a paid upgrade, since you can't run down to the local store to purchase them.

Can you offer them on Amazon? It might open up your market a bit more and I believe you could still be the exclusive provider.

This ones is kind of harsh, but honest. The graphics look a little amaturish to me (I have a background in design, but I do realize this is still a subjective thing). You might consider having another pro have another go at them. You could even come up with some options and post for feedback here!

[quote name='countach711' timestamp='1431369028' post='11539228']
Hi, I've used the ball and love it. Couple opinions (for what they're worth) as a small business owner:

Offer more shipping options. If people are late planners like me an overnight shipping option is welcome option, or two day, obviously a paid upgrade, since you can't run down to the local store to purchase them.

Can you offer them on Amazon? It might open up your market a bit more and I believe you could still be the exclusive provider.

This ones is kind of harsh, but honest. The graphics look a little amaturish to me (I have a background in design, but I do realize this is still a subjective thing). You might consider having another pro have another go at them. You could even come up with some options and post for feedback here!
[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback... appreciate the options.. we are actually working on setting up the system to have 2 day and overnight rates.. just trying to finish the logistics on the website and should be good to go... as for now, we will gladly ship best rate we can to anyone next day or second day.. they just have to email us at [email protected] or call us at the toll free number and we will take the order and get the rate, and get it shipped out immediately.

[quote name='Snell Golf' timestamp='1431368957' post='11539216']
[quote name='Auditor_Kevin' timestamp='1431361595' post='11538346']
[/quote]
We have seen the Snell MY TOUR BALL have a slightly higher launch angle off the driver, with around 150 rpm less spin.. so this higher launch and lower spin is what will make the ball be longer with a driver.. remember to always try to get your launch angle up and driver spin down to increase distance.. a good target to shoot for is around 14 deg launch with 2200 -2300 backspin.. hope this helps.
[/quote]

Although, it may have been a few yards longer than the Pro V1x for me I felt that it was more susceptible to the wind than the V1x has been for me. I'm not exactly sure why though. With the lower spin, I'd expect it to be more stable in the wind but that is not the result that I saw. You can read more about it in my review in the GolfWRX member testing thread but, in summary, what I noticed was that into the wind, I saw more distance loss than I expected and in cross winds the ball was more affected by wind than what I'm used to as well. Downwind, the ball also landed hotter than I'm accustomed to. I did hit a few balls side by side w/the V1x, hence my comment above, but for the most part I was comparing the MTB w/my current ball, the 2010 Penta.

At the conclusion of my MTB review, what I really wanted to see was a lower spin version of the MTB. Perhaps, based on Dean's comment above, what I really should be asking for is lower launching version instead? Dean, any idea how the MTB compares to the 2010 Penta or is that ball too old to warrant comparison testing?

Stealth2+ 9 Atmos RWB 6x / MyStealth+ 9 Atmos Blue 6x | Stealth2+ 15, Ventus Red 8x
TI P770 2 | P770 3, P7MC 4-5, P7MB 6-9 / Miura 1957 4-9, $-Taper 125
TI MG3 46, 50, 54, $-Taper 125 | TI MG3 58 / HT 58, KBS Tour 120 SS
Mann Mini / Cameron CT, MC Smooth | TP5x | My WITB Thread