2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Ping G30 LS Tec Driver

aussiegolferer

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played a late round tonight with some friends. 3 on 3 match. G30LS outstanding performance. 12-14 fairways....sets everything else up... I'm currently a 5 handicap after 15 postings so far this year. 16 of 18 GIR and a 65 tonight. 64 is my previously low round on this course and that was 15 years ago in my prime years. what I'm trying to say is, I was in the fairway with many 100-145 yard W-8iron shots. The G30LS is gonna be with me for quite a few years...not even worried about Ping's next version or anyone else's for that matter.

I know this string and site is getting a lot of love for this club, I'm just upset I didn't get one several months ago. Tournament this weekend and looking so forward to it.

If you're reading this and on the fence...do yourself a favor and go spend the 350 on this club. It's already paid for 20% of the clubs cost after my first match with it. Love Ping G30LS....

Sorry for the brag but it's a round I just don't shoot anymore...very fun afternoon.

Oh and by the way....My opponent did hit his SLDR by me most of the time (about 10) yards on avg...but his two pull hooks left cost him....oh how I remember (recently) how that SLDR would jump up and bite you out of nowhere...so glad I made the switch form SLDR to G30LS.

[quote name='Hathstauwk' timestamp='1435243919' post='11832520']
I recently ordered a Titleist 915 D3 with an Oban Devolution 6 shaft (should arrive next week) but even though it have not played it yet, I am already having buyers remorse. I wonder if I should have taken the G30 LS.

When I tried the G30 LS at the fitter, I was having a bad day as far as my swing (so no consistency to enable a true comparison and the flight scope machine was not working) and the new fitting centre there had bare walls, meaning sound bounced off them easily. Hence, between a bad swing and the echo, I had the feeling that the impact was more of a clang than a thump. Bad description, I know, but I guess I am trying to say that I did not get that effortless feeling of the ball flying off the face.

It is odd, because when I was trying one out in a simulator and NY Golf centre in manhattan before Christmas, it felt pretty good and numbers were good. There, I was able to eliminate the Mizuno driver from consideration but still was eyeing the 915 or G30. I am now considering re-trying the G30 at another fitter who has a simulator as well as access to an outdoor practice facility (going for a TEE fairway wood fitting mainly but thinking of trying another driver, too).

Is it worth the effort to re-try or should I just accept my purchase and forget the G30?
[/quote]I'd play the Titliest and see how it goes...but I'm the wrong one to ask as I can't even imagine an easier more forgiving club to hit than the G30LS. Good luck with 915 and if it's right for you I hope you get the same satisfaction with it as many here have gotten with the G30 series. If you don't like it I'm sure you could probably work a trade out with someone who doesn't have the love for the G30.

Good luck!

[quote name='Whit' timestamp='1435282981' post='11836346']
Here.
[/quote]

Thought that marking with the star shape inside the circle was just supposed to be an empty circle. Is it an aftermarket tip? Never seen one with that marking before.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I bought it brand new from golf town yesterday. I thought I seen befor that the plus was to the club face and the minus to the back when set in neutral position.

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

[quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1435285020' post='11836550']
Here.
[/quote]

Thought that marking with the star shape inside the circle was just supposed to be an empty circle. Is it an aftermarket tip? Never seen one with that marking before.
[/quote]Same here...mine is empty circle.

[quote name='stumblinhorse' timestamp='1435278711' post='11835982']
Any reason I shouldn't put a washer or a couple under the plug to add 6 or 8 grams for a shorter shaft? Only difference I can tell is the plug sticks up higher. I want to try a couple of shafts and SW before finalizing an aftermarket weight. My stock is a 10 gram looks like the heaviest is 16?
[/quote]

Nope. Play with it. 1 sw = ~ 2g

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I picked up a LS 9* head from the BST, looking forward to shafting it and trying it out.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1435269823' post='11835328']

I would definitely defer the Oban. It's not to say it won't be better, but you should give the stock tour 65 a shot. I think people undervalue that shaft. It's a great head, but the shaft has been the star. It's very stable... not quite Chrome stable, but excellent. It has a little more torque at the end, but it's one that lets go at the very last moment. It's a very satisfying feeling, and I'd take it on head-to-head. If you are a money-no-problem guy, get the Oban pre-tipped. There's no reason to think you won't actually benefit from switching based on how your swing has been lately. I don't expect you to see a lot of performance difference, other than maybe a degree lower ball flight out of the Oban, all things equal. Is the t65 good enough? Absolutely.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I will try it out at the fitter in a couple weeks. I will give it a try with the Tour 65 shaft as you suggest. I have heard good things about that and the Tour 80 but I imagine the Tour 80 is more than I need given a ss approximately 103, with an inconsistent swing and being 46 yrs old (not as flexible as 20 yrs ago, oddly enough). When I hit a good one, it get out around 300-310 but a normal strike, for the rare times in the fairway, I would estimate more like around 280-290, including any roll. (As a reference, I hit a Ping i20 8 iron about 155 yards). I am not the longest hitter by any means but not short, either.

If I decide to buy it, I will try selling my Titleist, with or without the Oban, depending upon demand. Hopefully with, because I have no need to hang on to a different shaft. I just hope there is a decent market for clubs here in France. I have not tried before. I will be selling it as used because in fairness, I have to give the Titleist a chance to perform, first. Will hit balls on my own with it, then put head to head versus the Ping and see how it fares. I will let you know.

Thanks again for the reply!!

Cheers.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1435283651' post='11836400']

I'd play the Titliest and see how it goes...but I'm the wrong one to ask as I can't even imagine an easier more forgiving club to hit than the G30LS. Good luck with 915 and if it's right for you I hope you get the same satisfaction with it as many here have gotten with the G30 series. If you don't like it I'm sure you could probably work a trade out with someone who doesn't have the love for the G30.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Will give a fair shake to the Titleist first and test the G30 at the fitter. Will base decision on results from both the monitor (indoor) and on an outdoor facility the fitter has nearby.....plus, how it feels.

Thanks!

Edit: I will also put it up against a TEE driver as I have never tried one and am curious how it is, given how I love their fairway woods. The latter is the reason I am seeing the fitter as he is the only TEE dealer in France and I want to replace my TEE 3w with a new one

Ping Anser 2i isopur

Here.
[/quote]
[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1435286114' post='11836652']
Here.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Empty circle is RH tip, yours with the hashing is an LH tip.

[quote name='Hathstauwk' timestamp='1435304902' post='11837496']
[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1435283651' post='11836400']
I'd play the Titliest and see how it goes...but I'm the wrong one to ask as I can't even imagine an easier more forgiving club to hit than the G30LS. Good luck with 915 and if it's right for you I hope you get the same satisfaction with it as many here have gotten with the G30 series. If you don't like it I'm sure you could probably work a trade out with someone who doesn't have the love for the G30.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Will give a fair shake to the Titleist first and test the G30 at the fitter. Will base decision on results from both the monitor (indoor) and on an outdoor facility the fitter has nearby.....plus, how it feels.

Thanks!

Edit: I will also put it up against a TEE driver as I have never tried one and am curious how it is, given how I love their fairway woods. The latter is the reason I am seeing the fitter as he is the only TEE dealer in France and I want to replace my TEE 3w with a new one
[/quote]Funny same age and type of player. I use to be considered long but Father time catches up to you doesn't it. Good luck curious to see your outcome. I have a few friends who are just as much in love w their 915. Good luck again.

[quote name='DeepSixer' timestamp='1435305165' post='11837504']
Here.
[/quote]
[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1435286114' post='11836652']
Here.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Empty circle is RH tip, yours with the hashing is an LH tip.
[/quote] Sweet thank you. So would I be correct in thinking that I just put it to the big plus if I want to make it play minus 1 degree?

Titleist TS3, 9.5, Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 8
Callaway xforged utility 18, AD DI 105
Taylormade p770 4-pw, Project X 
Titleist Vokey 50,54,58 Project X 
Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2

Testing is over. I tested with my 10.5 LS head, dialed down to 9.9.

Shafts I tested were:

- UST Elements Chrome 7X
- Kiyoshi Tour Limited 6X
- Matrix TP6HD
- USPG Black Ops Pearl 8X
- Talamonti LS 70X
- Fubuki J50X

I tested only with my eye and feeling on the range and on course - no tracking etc.I tested a lot with ballmarking. Most of the time my girlfriend was so kind and stood at the back of the range and did that for me to get an overview about length and dispersion - if you should read that, thank you for that :) My final two competitors were the Kiyoshi Tour Limited and the Elements Chrome.

To the shaft that didn’t made it to the final stage and the explanation why:

Matrix TP6HD: the combo just didn’t work out. The shaft felt dead and I had the feeling that I have to work a lot to get results. Even the good results were not good enough to compete with the others. By far the worst of the tested combos.

Talamonti LS 70X: I loved this shaft combined with the Callaway RFX, so I thought I’ll give it a try and maybe it will revive my love. Well nope…it didn’t. Same as the Matrix: a lot of work to get it out of the teebox. It felt heavy and dead.

Fubuki J50X: Man…that’s a beast of a shaft! You can feel the power in your hands when you grip it and rip it. The power transfer felt phenomenal. Issue: very high launch (even at 9.5) and LIVELY. It is best described with rodeo. I had a lot of fun with this shaft, but some very (very very very...) bad misses too. Maybe this shaft would work out better in a 9.0 head, dialed down to 8.0, where I would not need to give so much, to keep the ball “low”.

USPG Black Ops Pearl 8X: If you need a shaft that performs: this is your shaft. I never had a miss with this shaft – simply never. It is predictable like no other and performs with each shot completely equal as the shot before - consistency as its best. Well…the problem was, it wasn’t the longest of the bunch. I lost on average about 7-12 meters against my finalists. That was the dealbreaker for me. 10 meters are a full club more into the green, which I not prefer.

The finalists:

Kiyoshi Tour Limited 6X: I played this shaft a lot! I don’t know how many swings I made with this shaft…It is absolutely a bomber shaft – it even looks cool and matches the G30 color. What I liked about this shaft is its predictability, similar to the USPG Black Ops Pearl, just with more power and feel. I’m lucky enough that wind is always available here where I live and play. It often changes the direction 180° by noon, therefore I was able to test it with down- and headwind. The Kiyoshi Tour Limited shines when there is wind. It was almost not affected by the wind. I crushed several drives (on wet fairways) 250 meters with headwind – which is stunning for my abilities.

UST Elements Chrome 7X: This shaft I played for over a year in my SLDR. I loved it and I still do. The feel, the performance and the possibility to whip it without losing control is just amazing. Everyone who played it, knows what I mean. Firstly it was very bad performing in the G30 LS, which disappointed me a lot. It felt some kind of slack and had no energy off the face. As I wanted to give it another try and a mistake by myself during the shaft switching, I put it back in, in the 9.5 setting. Well...HELLO THERE! It was back – I don’t know what it was, I just could not believe what happened. Straight, long and with that Elements Chrome power off the face. You can imagine, I never switched back the setting to 9.9.

Final testings:

So there I was…only two competitors left. What I can say, without a doubt, I could use both without any question. The Kiyoshi and the Chrome just perform veeeery equal! It makes a lot of fun to play with both. Even the last few tests on the range (again with marking the balls etc…) were tough to differ between those two. Dispersion wise was the Kiyoshi a little bit better, but the Chrome a bit longer. At the end these two differed maybe just “their” background. As I know the Elements Chrome since over a year, I choose it over the Kiyoshi Tour Limited. Another aspect might have been the weight. As the Kiyoshi weights 69 grams and the Chrome weights 77. I know it’s not much but maybe it was also in my head. I always liked to play heavier shafts in my drivers and that 7 made me maybe a bit more comfortable.

As I said before – both finalists were brilliantly performing. Actually none of the shafts could be classified as THE winner. It is always just these nuances which make the difference.

TaylorMade M2 2016, 8.0* UST ATTAS GoGo 5 6X
TaylorMade SLDR 14.3* UST Chrome 8FT5
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* Speeder TS HB 9.8X
Srixon Z 765 4-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S
Titleist SM6 50F, 56M, 60K Kuro Kage TiNi LBP 105TX
Evnroll ER2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921839-first-witb-guess-where-im-from/"]WITB Link[/url]

Swapped my broken G30 for this yesterday. It worked REALLY well in the sim, as did the Nike Vapor Pro but this mishits were way worse with Nike. I have it set at 10 degrees, only missed 1 fairway during my first 9 holes so Im hoping I can keep it up. I really like the launch of this driver and for once I am actually getting quite a bit of roll. With the 10.5 G30 it fell from the sky on didnt go too far.

I have a ProForce V2 in stiff that I want to try out so I need to find an adaptor, and if that doesnt work out I will be looking for the tour 65 shaft, it felt really nice in the sim. I asked for that shaft at the store but they had to order it and they said it may take 2 or more weeks so Im a bit disappointed in that.....

IMG_20150625_114548378_zpsim8tgsg3.jpg

Here are a couple of the best hits, I tend to really slow down my swing in the sim, I should do that on the course also. I am honestly super nervous about hitting the wall behind me on my follow through. Later on while we were just having fun waiting around my ss went back up to 105 and I was hitting it a bit further, my GF was wandering the store at that point and had my phone so I didnt get a pic of those ones. I think the carry was about the same as the total on these slower hits, Less roll though because they launched a bit higher..

IMG_20150625_113352114_zpstxomzt96.jpg

I've been swapping back and forth between DI and rogue and haven't settled on one yet. Still think it's a great driver, very long, my miss has been pretty bad though. I keep up with guys 10mph faster than me off the tee. I should drop the tour65 in for a round or two just for the hell of it although the other two are playing 44.5".

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1435324243' post='11838248']
I've been swapping back and forth between DI and rogue and haven't settled on one yet. Still think it's a great driver, very long, my miss has been pretty bad though. I keep up with guys 10mph faster than me off the tee. I should drop the tour65 in for a round or two just for the hell of it although the other two are playing 44.5".
[/quote]

Which DI? and rogue? if you don't mind me asking.

I currently have DI 7s in my G30 LS. Launch was a little too high which was kinda expected since the DI is more high launch than mid.J

Just received a Rogue Silver 70 MSI 110 stiff flex that I want to try in hopes of bringing the launch down.

Question for you guys, if the ball just falls out of the sky, does that mean too much spin? or not enough spin?

You would need to give a little more info but I'm guessing too little spin. Although you said your hitting it high. Either it's falling early and running or the descent angle is too high and it wouldn't be far from the landing spot, should be easy to spot on the course.

I've got a 6s and a 125 50TX. The DI actually flies a little lower because of the weight I think but the rogue spins less. I'm on the lookout for a BB or DI 6x too. Ballflight is optimal, my miss has just been brutal.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1435327287' post='11838554']
You would need to give a little more info but I'm guessing too little spin. Although you said your hitting it high. Either it's falling early and running or the descent angle is too high and it wouldn't be far from the landing spot, should be easy to spot on the course.

I've got a 6s and a 125 50TX. The DI actually flies a little lower because of the weight I think but the rogue spins less. I'm on the lookout for a BB or DI 6x too. Ballflight is optimal, my miss has just been brutal.
[/quote]

Thanks swiz. This was at the range and hard to tell. Another factor could be the range balls. I plan to play tomorrow on the course and will report back.

[/quote]

I would imagine the DI 6s would play a good bit softer than the Rogue 125 50TX. For me, the Rogue 125 70TS played quite a bit more stiff than the DI 7s. Have you found this to be the case?

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

[quote name='Peanut191' timestamp='1435327779' post='11838614']

[/quote]

I would imagine the DI 6s would play a good bit softer than the Rogue 125 50TX. For me, the Rogue 125 70TS played quite a bit more stiff than the DI 7s. Have you found this to be the case?
[/quote]

I don't think so and I think its the weight. I've got a quick transition and maybe should be playing X anyways. Your comparison is more apples to apples whereas the rogue 50 feels a little looser because its lighter. Personally I always thought the higher weight GD shafts got pretty firm to flex so maybe our swings just aren't very similar.

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1435327560' post='11838584']

[/quote]

Thanks swiz. This was at the range and hard to tell. Another factor could be the range balls. I plan to play tomorrow on the course and will report back.
[/quote]

I bet its the range balls. I noticed that too when I'm on the range. If its flying nice and high I'd be surprised if spin was too low unless your launch angle is crazy high.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1435329969' post='11838846']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't think so and I think its the weight. I've got a quick transition and maybe should be playing X anyways. Your comparison is more apples to apples whereas the rogue 50 feels a little looser because its lighter. Personally I always thought the higher weight GD shafts got pretty firm to flex so maybe our swings just aren't very similar.
[/quote]

I agree with the GD shafts playing more stout than average when you go up in weight(ex. Ahina 70 feels a little more stout than Ahina 60, but DI 7 feels a good bit more tight by comparison than DI 6).

Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

Second round with the g30lst and just shot my best round ever 74 on a par 71. Usually golf anywhere from 78-85.
Was just bombing them with a nice cut

DriVer- Ping G30 lst 9*
3wood- Cobra amp
hybrid- Ping i20 20*
Irons- Cobra amp cell 4-pw, 2* upright, golf pride mcc+4 midsize
Wedges- 50* Cleveland cg14, 56* titleist sm5 f grind,60* titleist sm5 s grind
Putter- Scotty Cameron notchback
Bag- Sun mountain 4.5

[quote name='Hathstauwk' timestamp='1435303862' post='11837460']
[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1435269823' post='11835328']
I would definitely defer the Oban. It's not to say it won't be better, but you should give the stock tour 65 a shot. I think people undervalue that shaft. It's a great head, but the shaft has been the star. It's very stable... not quite Chrome stable, but excellent. It has a little more torque at the end, but it's one that lets go at the very last moment. It's a very satisfying feeling, and I'd take it on head-to-head. If you are a money-no-problem guy, get the Oban pre-tipped. There's no reason to think you won't actually benefit from switching based on how your swing has been lately. I don't expect you to see a lot of performance difference, other than maybe a degree lower ball flight out of the Oban, all things equal. Is the t65 good enough? Absolutely.
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I will try it out at the fitter in a couple weeks. I will give it a try with the Tour 65 shaft as you suggest. I have heard good things about that and the Tour 80 but I imagine the Tour 80 is more than I need given a ss approximately 103, with an inconsistent swing and being 46 yrs old (not as flexible as 20 yrs ago, oddly enough). When I hit a good one, it get out around 300-310 but a normal strike, for the rare times in the fairway, I would estimate more like around 280-290, including any roll. (As a reference, I hit a Ping i20 8 iron about 155 yards). I am not the longest hitter by any means but not short, either.

If I decide to buy it, I will try selling my Titleist, with or without the Oban, depending upon demand. Hopefully with, because I have no need to hang on to a different shaft. I just hope there is a decent market for clubs here in France. I have not tried before. I will be selling it as used because in fairness, I have to give the Titleist a chance to perform, first. Will hit balls on my own with it, then put head to head versus the Ping and see how it fares. I will let you know.

Thanks again for the reply!!

Cheers.
[/quote]

Good luck on trying to improve on those distances that you stated. Over 300 yards with a swing speed of about 103. The Oban must be a magical shaft.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1435329969' post='11838846']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you've got a quick transition, the AD DI isn't the shaft for you in any flex. The AD's like a very moderate transition in order to give them a little time to load. Next time you're out, try smoothing out your tempo. The longest shot's I've hit with my LS and AD DI 6x combo have been ones where I've really focused on a smooth transition. When it kicks just right, you feel it, and it feels amazing.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I just put a new grafalloy Blue 75s in mine and tipped it an inch (the blue S is stiffer then a whiteboard 73x in every clamp position but the tip) cut it to 44.75" and I'm really digging it

My Bag
Callaway Epic SZ 9* Rogue 125msi 70x
TM M1 3w Kuro Kage 80x
Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
Titleist SM6 52,54,60
odyssey big T

[quote name='michigander' timestamp='1435331665' post='11839028']

Good luck on trying to improve on those distances that you stated. Over 300 yards with a swing speed of about 103. The Oban must be a magical shaft.
[/quote]

I am not trying to improve on my distances. I am happy with how far I hit it. I just want more in the fairway, that's all!

Also, not sure what you say my swing speed should not get those distances. They are not exactly bombs that I am hitting. Besides, the 300+ was stated as a once in a while and I also said a normal hit is more like 280-290 including roll. I am not talking distances on the fly.

The Oban goes into play when my new 915 arrives next week. Currently playing a 913 D3. Previously, was playing a Nakashima NP-1 with a motore F1 shaft.

Ping Anser 2i isopur

[quote name='KPH808' timestamp='1435302311' post='11837422']
I picked up a LS 9* head from the BST, looking forward to shafting it and trying it out.
[/quote]

curious to see how the LS stacks up with the D4. Make sure you report back

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH