MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Golf Talk Tuesday : What tee shot, or approach shot gives you the most trouble at your home course?

16 at Pine Ridge. 300 yard dog leg right that slopes right to left. (awesome for draw hitters!) I've been everywhere on this thing, including 30 yards into the first group of trees on the right.

Looking at that pic of 16 again and the fairway looks terrible. Perfect shape now.

dumb question... couldn't you play this as a par 4? pick a club that won't get to the mound right of the bunker (8i?) and then pitch on and 2 putt.

i mean, yeah, this is such a chickenS play but if you actually would take a 4 on this hole every time... and might even squeeze out a 3...

your boy TW did it at cypress point with no qualms.

http://www.golfdiges...ay-up-on-par-3s

this is also the hole that some old timer (hogan? snead? casper?) laid up all 4 days during a tourney, got up and down every single time, and won by 1.

for me, if i call blue mash my home course, it's #17.

Screen_Shot_2016_06_07_at_10_10_01_AM.png

typically around 185 from the blue tees. no bailout. what feels like a narrow green, with a ton of undulation. wind typically into and blowing towards the water. i've hit 3h through 8i, depending on day, wind, and pin. fun hole, if you like late, good round killers.

Pretty much a mirror to mine, at the same spot in the round. Only yours has with no good lay up spot in front.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Timbers 14 is a short downhiller. It doesn't get my vote because the green complex is too simple for a shortie.

The green at MP6 looks like a big tilted plane, but it's actually a very difficult green if you're in the wrong spot. This is a nice hole. I like how the tee box is right next to the previous green, and the NEXT tee box. It's actually a pretty difficult hole to club for because of how down hill it is, and because of the slope. . .anyone can pull one back 20+ feet on that green. If you try punching one in, you risk staying above the hole. I see a 3-putt there every single time I play it.

I think Hobbit's 11 is one of the best 3's in the area, though. It's very nice looking with the plantings, the wall and the water. It's a nice walk up to the tee, back down, and short cutting to the green, then up to the next box.

The green is a perfect green for a wedgey 1 banger. To make birdie, you have to be in the right section of green. And if you're in the wrong section of green, or miss the green, you're going to have a difficult par putt. Water short, and bunkers long, and a swale long that requires a tough shot from there. For a small green, there are really 4 or 5 decent pin positions.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Golf Talk Tuesday : What tee shot, or approach shot gives you the most trouble at your home course?

16 at Pine Ridge. 300 yard dog leg right that slopes right to left. (awesome for draw hitters!) I've been everywhere on this thing, including 30 yards into the first group of trees on the right.

And it's off-camber right to left. Everyone says that course is a "drawers course", but there are holes that are very difficult for right-to-left players. You need to hit a precise 185 shot from the tee to have a good look at the green. Those two trees that are near the bend in the path are perfectly placed. You can take enough club to carry them, but if you tug that shot, or draw it, you're running through the fairway into hazard/trees/sidehill lie. That fairway is always hard, and it's crowned, and it's an uphill shot. All conspire against holding the fairway.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

GTT2 : Favorite short par 3 in the area?

I'll go full Eagle on this one. And this is just holes around 150-160 and less depending on the tees.

For how the hole plays, and how I've generally fared on it, I'll go with 3rd at Belmont CC even though it's peppered with houses. I just like playing it and always do well there.

9635994491_e83f8ebec2_b.jpg

For visuals, as well as being fun to play, Westfields 17th and Brambleton 12th.

15744709336_9a1bbccb33_b.jpg

22547245477_b29a87f412_b.jpg

For "not in the area", because you said "in the area", this was a gem down in JAX. Golf Club at North Hampton, but I forget which hole it is. Only 150 yards, but I dunked two in the water.

20115535799_5cfa98e365_b.jpg

For a little further out of this area, this was from a course in Auckland, New Zealand. Nothing spectacular to look at, but this was fun. The best place/only place to miss was on the green.

16135392642_c368ce83ba_b.jpg

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

I'm kinda stuck between 5 at Waverly, and 11 at Hobbits.

I'm mostly just trying to not be too much of a Hobbits Homer though, to be honest. The 11th is a fantastic hole. The view from the tee is pleasing, the green is wonderfully complex, and trouble lurks everywhere. Playing downhill to a green where you have to hit your spot and stop it really requires you hit a shot with controlled spin. The front-right pin is about the only "easy" location on that green. The little shelf on the back-middle-right is a really cool spot. The way the ridge runs through that green makes for some pins where you can end up with putts where you basically have to try and sling one around the ridge.

I do quite enjoy playing the 5th at Waverly as well though. I don't think it's quite as interesting overall, but it's a fun hole.

Like a good short 4, I think having a good short 3 really adds a lot of value to a course.

Just thought about a few more holes/approaches that I cannot play for the life of me, the 12th AND 13th at Blue Mash. The approach at 12 always takes my lunch money, although I've never tried to lay up there (is there even a spot to lay up?), and the 13th green looks so "off" to my eye that I always do something dumb with my tee shot. Either way, I need to get out there again soon, I like that course, esp all the other par 5s.

Toulon Palm Beach

Just throwing out a list of some good shorties, before I come up with a final choice later.

- Rocky Point 11

- Mount Pleasant <whatever hole that really downhill short 3 is>

- Waverly 5

- Hobbits 11

- PB Dye 11

- Blue Mash 6

Common theme emerging - short 3s that play downhill.

This also tells me that I need to get out to MD more, having played none of those but for Blue Mash.

Toulon Palm Beach

And it's off-camber right to left. Everyone says that course is a "drawers course", but there are holes that are very difficult for right-to-left players. You need to hit a precise 185 shot from the tee to have a good look at the green. Those two trees that are near the bend in the path are perfectly placed. You can take enough club to carry them, but if you tug that shot, or draw it, you're running through the fairway into hazard/trees/sidehill lie. That fairway is always hard, and it's crowned, and it's an uphill shot. All conspire against holding the fairway.

"off-camber" nice. 15 also is no dream for drawers. A drive down the center could end up in the water, depending on conditions

I'm ashamed with all of you.

Y'all know #17 @ Gunpowder is where it's at!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

I like 5 at hobbits when played from the left tees

Put that pin in the back or on the right and it's really a good shot to get the ball near that pin

Hard tee shot- hobbits is all around interesting for me. 2, 7, 10, and 17 all require me to play down some clubs. If I don't I have to hit a perfect shot. I like that all four holes allow me to try different things and reward a great shot but also allow you to play smart and make it easier.

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

I found a cool pic of 11 at Hobbits, shot from behind the green.

WddStyM.png

Photo credit to Ronald Reid.

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/hobbits-glen-signature-11th-hole-ronald-reid.html

He's got some cool pics of other holes in the area, including from Pine Ridge, and Musket Ridge.

http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/ronald-reid.html?tab=artwork

Toulon Palm Beach

Just throwing out a list of some good shorties, before I come up with a final choice later.

- Rocky Point 11

- Mount Pleasant <whatever hole that really downhill short 3 is>

- Waverly 5

- Hobbits 11

- PB Dye 11

- Blue Mash 6

Common theme emerging - short 3s that play downhill.

I like Waverly 5, Hobbits 11, PB 11, and haven't played the first two. But I think #6 at Blue Mash is pretty blah. I like it as it fits within Blue Mash, as a shorter easier par3 compared to the other tough ones. By itself there is nothing remarkable about it though.

I'd probably say the two #11s are at the top for me: Hobbits and PB Dye. I also like PB Dye #2 for a short 3.

I change my answer.

#17 at Gunpowder.

If 13 at BM is "short", I think it's a better hole than BM6. More interesting green surface, IMO.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

GTT2: Have I told you guys about this course called Bedford Springs? #14 "Tiny Tim" 136 yards from the tips.

tinytimbedford-1200x1004.jpg

I can't wait to drive through Breezewood to play that course with you sometime.

I'm obviously joking about F'ing Breezewood, but not about making a day trip out of that sometime. Let's do it this fall. Looks like it would be GD MF'ing gorgeous in the fall.

Went out to Worthington this morning to play as a single. There was a twosome on the practice range though, and it happened to be Dominic, who I played with at the DCGT event there two weeks ago. So I paired up with them. He was playing with a friend who is going to play in the US Am qualifier there, so they were tipping it out and I played the blues. Both really solid players who played some competitive college golf, so they are both in the neighborhood of scratch, though I'm not sure on which side of it.

I shot an all over the place 44/46=90 with a triple on a par 5 on each side. On #13 I was just right of the cart path with my 3rd, in a bare dirt spot, trying to go over the bunker to a short sided pin. Hit it thin, it nails the side of the cart path and comes back and hits me right in the arm. First time I've had to take a penalty like that! Couple of penalties, couple of 3 putts, but also made a few up and downs that salvaged a score. On #18 I made bogie from 70 yards out after shanking it in to the bunker, leaving it in the bunker, then getting up and down from that 2nd sand shot. 8 1-putts overall which is really high for me, though 2 of those were CityGame 1-putts from the fringe :). A 90 from those tees is still a sub-13 differential (ESC 88), which keeps it right in line with my cap.

Breezewood..

Sounds like a great place for a BoB tourney.

Is that still happening---looking at you Domes ----

protos F4

Went out to Worthington this morning to play as a single. There was a twosome on the practice range though, and it happened to be Dominic, who I played with at the DCGT event there two weeks ago. So I paired up with them. He was playing with a friend who is going to play in the US Am qualifier there, so they were tipping it out and I played the blues. Both really solid players who played some competitive college golf, so they are both in the neighborhood of scratch, though I'm not sure on which side of it.

I shot an all over the place 44/46=90 with a triple on a par 5 on each side. On #13 I was just right of the cart path with my 3rd, in a bare dirt spot, trying to go over the bunker to a short sided pin. Hit it thin, it nails the side of the cart path and comes back and hits me right in the arm. First time I've had to take a penalty like that! Couple of penalties, couple of 3 putts, but also made a few up and downs that salvaged a score. On #18 I made bogie from 70 yards out after shanking it in to the bunker, leaving it in the bunker, then getting up and down from that 2nd sand shot. 8 1-putts overall which is really high for me, though 2 of those were CityGame 1-putts from the fringe :). A 90 from those tees is still a sub-13 differential, which keeps it right in line with my cap.

All of that and I'm only laughing that you hit yourself....

protos F4

I mean it could of been worst..

ChiChiGIF.gif

protos F4

royalnewkent_18.jpg

Now that Im not in the car i can get into this - how about this finishing hole

I hit my tee shot into the left bunker on the right side - i chipped out a few yards towards the water because i was pretty close to the lip. I then hit the middle of the green and two putted.

From the sky it doesnt look too bad because you can see all of the fairway- but from the tee you just really see the beginning part of the fairway which is narrower between the bunkers.

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

I shot an all over the place 44/46=90 with a triple on a par 5 on each side. On #13 I was just right of the cart path with my 3rd, in a bare dirt spot, trying to go over the bunker to a short sided pin. Hit it thin, it nails the side of the cart path and comes back and hits me right in the arm. First time I've had to take a penalty like that! Couple of penalties, couple of 3 putts, but also made a few up and downs that salvaged a score. On #18 I made bogie from 70 yards out after shanking it in to the bunker, leaving it in the bunker, then getting up and down from that 2nd sand shot. 8 1-putts overall which is really high for me, though 2 of those were CityGame 1-putts from the fringe :). A 90 from those tees is still a sub-13 differential (ESC 88), which keeps it right in line with my cap.

Av9bfl.gif

Nice cringemanship, there, Sully.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Threw my Links magazine that I got yesterday in the trash can, might have to dig it back out. Sounds like a fresh change of pace from the usual golf rags.

Had a chance to stop at Waverly on my way back from BWI on Sunday but the Armageddon-esque storm that was approaching changed my mind. Haven't played anything up I 70, their rates on the website seemed decent if not a touch high for twilight rounds. I am used to the glorified municipal courses around my way though so I need to make the trip back and check it out.