2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Cobra Fly-Z+ Driver Review

J.Holmgren

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1430184236' post='11455171']
Ok, I found one on eBay today for $295 new. I should have it on Friday, and will try and get out on the range on Saturday and compare it to my BC+ using the same shaft. I will be interested to see if there is much of a difference in performance.
[/quote]

Mob what color did you get? I have to sell some gear and I want to get another arcane shaft and a white fly z + head. I really loved the fly z plus with the 757 evo but I really am feeling the arcane shaft.

Cobra Speedzone 9.0 Tour AD-GP 6x
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 14.5 Tour AD-TP 7X 
Cobra Speedzone Tour 17.5 Tour AD-HD 8x
Tee CB Pro U 21 Tour AD DI 95x
Cobra King Forged Irons 5-G Nippon Modus 130 S
Cobra King Versatile 56* 60* Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
Kingston KP001 GSS

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Kalicardplayer28' timestamp='1430186206' post='11455403']
[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1430184236' post='11455171']
Ok, I found one on eBay today for $295 new. I should have it on Friday, and will try and get out on the range on Saturday and compare it to my BC+ using the same shaft. I will be interested to see if there is much of a difference in performance.
[/quote]

Mob what color did you get? I have to sell some gear and I want to get another arcane shaft and a white fly z + head. I really loved the fly z plus with the 757 evo but I really am feeling the arcane shaft.
[/quote]

I wanted a black head, and luckily, that was the one I found for considerably less than any other one on eBay (at least in left handed). Arcane is a great shaft, I am currently testing their new Arcane Iron shaft and it is pretty impressive as well.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='mikec3672' timestamp='1430162496' post='11452811']
[quote name='cerv2' timestamp='1430100403' post='11448285']
I have had the Fly Z + for about a month now. I bought an extra 19 gram weight and put the 19g in the back and 15g in the front today.
Played 18 today with this setup and drove the ball incredibly well (for me). I just took a nice smooth swing and the ball just flew very straight and very well struck shots had a slight draw. With just the 19g weight in the back and no weight in the front last time out I had a number of shots with a fade and sometimes a bit of a slice.
Today I didn't have any sidespin at all ! Very straight with authority....extremely happy with this driver !
[/quote]so you have weights in both spots??? what did it do to the swing weight. what length you playing at?

yes....I have the weights in the front and the back....15g in the front, 19g in the back....yes, it is a bit heavy, but it forces me to take a nice smooth swing. I am not a big person or strong (5' 7"), but I can still swing this. The length is 45"....I just thought I would try it out as an experiment this past Sunday and I had a lot of success. We'll see what happens next time out and if I continue to have success with this setup....[/quote]

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1430184236' post='11455171']Ok, I found one on eBay today for $295 new. I should have it on Friday, and will try and get out on the range on Saturday and compare it to my BC+ using the same shaft. I will be interested to see if there is much of a difference in performance.[/quote]

Hopefully you'll see the same difference I did, so go hit some balls and come back to tell us what you feel about the driver compared to BC+

[quote name='J.Holmgren' timestamp='1430201069' post='11456497']
[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1430184236' post='11455171']Ok, I found one on eBay today for $295 new. I should have it on Friday, and will try and get out on the range on Saturday and compare it to my BC+ using the same shaft. I will be interested to see if there is much of a difference in performance.[/quote]

Hopefully you'll see the same difference I did, so go hit some balls and come back to tell us what you feel about the driver compared to BC+
[/quote]

Will do. I have had my eye on this driver since last summer when i bought the BC+, and they said the next one in development (Fly Z+) was going to be better. I have found that the BC+ is a great combination of lower spin and forgiveness, and I really enjoy playing it. I also like the way it looks, but I know some others don't care for it's look. I like deeper faced drivers, because I can tee it higher, and get a positive AoA catching the ball on the upswing. I struggle to do this in drivers that don't have a deep face. This maybe the only thing that keeps the Fly Z + out of the bag. It is supposed to come Friday, so I will get it out there on Saturday and report back.

LEFT HANDED

I have both. I hit them fairly extensively in different configurations this past week. About the only difference I see between them, is the fly z+ being slightly more forgiving. I'm not seeing any real, tangible differences in distance between them, as of yet. I like the deeper face of the BC + over the face shape of the Z+, though. The true test for me, will be when I can get my favorite shaft into both of these heads for a comparison.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

[quote name='JGalls' timestamp='1430235960' post='11458339']
If you guys haven't seen a matte black one, yet....

Such a good looking driver head.

[attachment=2733775:image.jpg]
[/quote]

NIce, was that a Continental job, or Design Lab?

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

[quote name='MrFlapjack' timestamp='1430238168' post='11458623']
[quote name='JGalls' timestamp='1430235960' post='11458339']
If you guys haven't seen a matte black one, yet....

Such a good looking driver head.

[attachment=2733775:image.jpg]
[/quote]

NIce, was that a Continental job, or Design Lab?
[/quote]

Only available at Golf Galaxy I believe. Maybe one other store/site?

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1430248444' post='11460037']
Any comparisons between Fly Z+ and BCP and/or Fly Z+ and R15 430?
[/quote]

Already compared BC+ vs Fly-z+ in this thread. Look it up.

I can compare any clubs of 2015, got them all with different shafts.
I can hit them both (Fly-z+ & R15 430) in Trackman when I have time for it and tell you the results or show you them. Gonna do that next week for you if you'd like :)

[quote name='Swing It!' timestamp='1430250146' post='11460221']
I thought I saw this in another thread so I apoligize if the same question/answer was given... What I understand your current shaft and adapters in all Bio Cells will fit in both of the the Fly Z heads???
[/quote]

Yep all Bio Cell adapters fit in to the Fly-z series, the lofts are wrong on the hosels but that's not really an issue.

Good thread.

Got my Fly Z+ recently and also love the club. Really love the feel off and it does seem very forgiving.

My only complaint is the heads sits a bit upright to me and would love to have a flat setting. Does anyone know if i bought a righty adapter (i am lefty) and set it to a draw setting would it give me a fade bias or maybe just a bit flatter?

[quote name='J.Holmgren' timestamp='1430250018' post='11460201']
[/quote]

I can hit them both (Fly-z+ & R15 430) in Trackman when I have time for it and tell you the results or show you them. Gonna do that next week for you if you'd like :)
[/quote]

If you can do a comparison of Fly Z+ and 430 that would be cool. BCP was referring to Bio Cell Pro, not the plus. I read everything post in this thread which I rarely do.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1430257222' post='11461063']
[/quote]

[/quote]

If you can do a comparison of Fly Z+ and 430 that would be cool. BCP was referring to Bio Cell Pro, not the plus. I read everything post in this thread which I rarely do.
[/quote]

I have seen another thread that compares the BCP (pro) to the FZ+ and it said performance and spin were similar, but the FZ+ was much more forgiving with better ball speeds on heel and toe strikes.

LEFT HANDED

Cobra needs a deep faced version of this club to round out the FlyZ lineup...

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1430257794' post='11461117']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have seen another thread that compares the BCP (pro) to the FZ+ and it said performance and spin were similar, but the FZ+ was much more forgiving with better ball speeds on heel and toe strikes.
[/quote]

I thought I saw one too, but couldn't find it. I'll keep searching.

Hit my new fly z plus yesterday. Stock shaft is pretty nice. The head is so forgiving. I'm coming from a 910d2 and thought it couldnt get any easier tobhit but boy was I wrong. Fly z plus takes forgiveness to another level. My friend who plays an sldr also fell in love with the fly z plus. It spoke volume because he made fun of me when I told him I purchased a cobra driver saying cobra is for posers lol.

[quote name='mikec3672' timestamp='1430269916' post='11462249']Do not agree on comments wrt BC+ and FZ+.
I think the FZ+ is heaps more forgiving.
Likely due to head shape being less deep and more elongated increasing MOI.[/quote]

The speedchannel, the materials in the head, the weight distribution. That's what makes the the Fly-z+ more forgiving. Off center hits usally flies pretty well for me atleast!

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I will do the Fly-Z+ vs R15 430 as soon as I have time for it, then I will post the results here including the Trackman data. Maybe this weekend if I got time otherwise it will be next Thursday! :)

My friend just put one in his bag and he his loving the distance gains. We both have been playing the RBZ stage 2. And we have always competed with similar distance drives with 105-110 swing speeds. He is now consistently 10+ yards ahead of me. I had to try his though not set up for me I was close to his distance again. Also, best sounding driver off the shelf I have heard in awhile.

M1 10.5 Deg. Fujikura Pro 60
R9 FCT 3 & 5 metal Fujikura Motore
Ping I-20 3-PW KBS Tour S
Ping Glide 52SS & 58SS KBS Tour S
Ping Craz-E too putter Ultra Slim
Super Stroke 1.0

[quote name='sea-golfer' timestamp='1430409340' post='11473407']My friend just put one in his bag and he his loving the distance gains. We both have been playing the RBZ stage 2. And we have always competed with similar distance drives with 105-110 swing speeds. He is now consistently 10+ yards ahead of me. I had to try his though not set up for me I was close to his distance again. Also, best sounding driver off the shelf I have heard in awhile.[/quote]

Rbz was even a driver going for distance, to beat that is impressive.
I love the distance gains I get aswell and when I hit my Rzn black balls the sound is really nice!

Ok, I got my Fly Z + a few hours ago and went straight out to the range to test it against my BC+. Here is a synopsis of my impressions.

Test conditions: 58 degrees and headwind of 13 mph. Test ball: practice Titleist NXT Tour
Test shaft: Aldila Rogue 125 msi TS 60 gram

Initial impression: These are two very different drivers that play and feel very differently. In fact, they could be from two different companies. The Bio Cell + has a sweet spot that feels lively and hot. It almost feels as if you can tell that the face is flexing and shooting the ball off the face at impact. The Fly Z + feels hard at impact. Not a bad feeling, just very different. When hit on the sweet spot, it has a very solid feel. I would classify the Fly Z + as a forgiving SLDR, much more than I would consider it the successor to the BC+. I now understand why these clubs each have a different following, and why people seem to prefer one or the other.

[u]Winners in each category[/u]

[u]Feel:[/u] [b]BC+[/b]. I think you either like the softer, flexing feeling face that feels like you nutted the ball, or you prefer the harder impact feeling that is very solid and seems to be common in lower spin heads with low COG. I have noticed this same feeling in: SLDR 430, Adams Launch Lab, and jBeam 435, all of which are low spin, low COG bombers.

[u]Ball Flight:[/u] [b]No winner[/b]. The BC+ launches a little higher with a penetrating trajectory. The Fly Z + launches lower but also has a very penetrating trajectory. I did not see either driver balloon into a 13 mph headwind even once in over 120 drives between the two. I hit a few hooks with the Fly Z +, but that was early on as I was getting used to it. Once I got used to it, I didn't see this again. Sidespin seems to be fairly low with both heads. Slight pulls and pushes, but those were clearly swing issues.

[u]Spin:[/u] [b]Fly Z +. [/b] Both are low spin heads, but the Fly Z + seems to be a little lower spin. This is based on a visual observation only. I cannot quantify it as this testing was done without a launch monitor. When it comes to spin, both heads are great.

[u]Appearance[/u]: [b]No winner. [/b]Both are great looking heads with nice shapes. I slightly prefer the BC+ shape, but I know that is just a personal preference and meaningless to anyone else.

[u]Distance:[/u][b] Unsure. [/b] I can see that there may be potential for the Fly Z + to be longer, due to the lower spin, but distance was hard to assess during this test. Cold temperature and wind affected distance with all drives. I was more comfortable swinging the BC+ which may have helped it's distance performance.

[u]Sound:[/u][b] BC+. [/b]After hearing people describe the Fly Z + as having muted sound, I was expecting that. Mine didn't have that muted sound, but slightly more of a hollow sound. Not a bad sound, just not what I was expecting based on what everyone has said. Not concerned about this, as a few cotton balls can fix it.

[u]Overall:[/u][b] BC+[/b]. There is a caveat to this claim. I am much more used to the BC+ as I have been playing with it since August, with a recent shaft change. I have a preference for deeper faced drivers, and the BC+ wins in this category. I struggled at first finding the right tee height for the Fly Z +, and ended up getting used to a lower tee height with the ball only slightly above the top of the face (equator of the ball is below the top of the club face).

This is my initial impression only, after an hour or so on the range. I am going to get it out on the range again tomorrow evening, and then out on the course on Saturday. The Fly Z + caught me a little off guard, as I wasn't expecting that "hard" feeling at impact. As I got used to it, and started hitting it in the sweet spot, I got used to the "solid" feel, and started to enjoy it. I started to see potential with it, and could see it being perhaps longer than the BC+ once I get used to it. I really would describe it as a more forgiving SLDR with much better performance than the SLDR on off center strikes. Conversely, I do think the BC+ is a little easier to hit, at least for me. That hard feeling of the Fly Z + affects the way I swing the club, and throws me off just a little bit.

LEFT HANDED

[quote name='paulchung' timestamp='1430444687' post='11477059']
Ive heard flipping the weight in the back position makes the fly z + sound and feel different
[/quote]

Yes, I forgot to mention this. By putting the weight in the back position, the ball immediately flew on a higher trajectory. The feel and sound changed as well. Feel became "less hard" and felt more like other drivers. Sound also became less hollow. It really was like having two different drivers in one head. Pretty amazing how much of an impact this had. In the end, I put the weight in the forward position, because I got it for the low spin, low trajectory effect.

LEFT HANDED