2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway 300 Laser Rangefinder Review

First, I've been a laser rangefinder user for years.

It all started with a Bushnell 400 that I bought ON SALE at Walmart back in the 1900's for $400 (this was when $400 was a lot of money.) After about 8 years of use, I sold it to a guy to be used for hunting.

I upgraded to....

A Bushnell Medalist model with the Pinseeker technology, what a game changer! I would still be using this one except for one very hot day in Las Vegas (110+), the LCD display started to get fritzy, the thing still worked, except sometimes the numbers would be missing segments, especially when it got hot outside.

My next model was the Bushnell V2. This thing works perfectly, great size, super fast number acquisitions, good optics.

Then, through the good folks here at GolfWRX, I was lucky enough to WIN a Callaway 300 Laser Rangefinder.

Even though this laser was "free" to me, I will try to remain unbiased in this review...

Due to my years of laser use, there was no learning curve to the Callaway, I just installed the battery, checked the manual to find out the procedure to switch "modes", measured the distance to my neighbors mailbox, then took it to the course.

There are two modes to use with the laser, scan mode, or, pin acquisition technology mode, (P.A.T).

In scan mode, the number changes as you move the viewfinder, this is a nice feature to get hazard (front and back of bunkers) numbers, distances to the group in the fairway, or anything else you can see.

In P.A.T mode, the number in the display is to the object that is closest to you. This technology is called, pinseeker, or first target priority, or some other catchy phrase, but as a golfer, it's the number you want! Many flags have trees or other "clutter" behind them, the P.A.T technology assures you're getting number to the pin and not the OB fence.

The size of the unit is just about ideal, it's rubberlike coating makes it quite easy to grip, and the wrist strap, although not really needed, is a nice feature.

Optically, I'd say this Callaway is perfect. There is a focus ring on the eyepiece that allowed me to absolutely crystallize the focus. Also, the magnification is 6 times. Some lasers have up to 10 times magnification which for me, is a little much as the more magnification, the steadier your aim needs to be. My friend has a Nikon and I can't (quickly) grab a number with his because the magnification is too much and the viewfinder is really fuzzy (for me). I do use prescription eyeglasses and reading glasses (i.e, my eyes suck)

I've taken it out 6-7 times now and I have to tell you, it's flawless. I get all the information I need almost instantly. Most of my golf is played in a skins format, I hunt pins! I've yet to use this laser on a course with prisms, but even at yardages over 200, grabbing the flag was not an issue.

As I stated, I have used laser for almost 20 years and this Callaway flat out works!

And works great.

Other things.......

This model is listed as waterproof & fog proof. I did have it in the rain and the case got a little wetter than I remembered. The next time I used it it was still wet (insert Homer Simpson DOH!). I let it dry and it still works as it should, so chock one up for waterproof! I'm not sure what fog proof means, so no comment.

I have another case that I use, so I didn't/won't use the included case, it seems nice enough though!

It can easily switch between yards and meters so when I play with my overseas buddies I can offer them metric yardage if they want.

It takes a CR2 battery. After 6 rounds the battery shows no signs of distress, also,I have two rechargeables from my V2, so...YAY!

The Amazon price on this laser is $250. I'm sure you can get it for less. Even at that price-point, this Callaway is a serious contender. I like it better than my V2, and far better than my friends Nikon.

If you're in the market for a laser this model should absolutely be on your short list. There's nothing not to like.

Thanks GOLFWRX!!!!!!

CALLASER3.png

X________________________________ Sign Here

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='roundersmitty' timestamp='1433812776' post='11715264']
Thanks for the review. Before reading this I was thinking about the Bushnell Medalist or this Callaway 300. They are priced very close. Which would you choose?
[/quote]

The Callaway for a few reasons.

1. The Medalist is dated, it's held horizontally, like binoculars.

2. This Callaway grabs the flags far quicker than the Medalist. (I owned a Medalist for years)

If there is any advantage to the Medalist, it's the fact that it uses a 9 Volt battery. Once I bought one on the way to the course at a 7/11.

No criticism intended here, but after the mismanagement of the uPro GPS product (Callaway abandoned it, leaving owners in the lurch), I'd be reluctant to buy this device. And I own Callaway clubs, and love them.

Just concerned about the commitment of a non-optics company to an optical product. Their past stuff was made by Nikon, which I'd be more comfortable with.

[quote name='MaxBuck' timestamp='1434059264' post='11734476']
No criticism intended here, but after the mismanagement of the uPro GPS product (Callaway abandoned it, leaving owners in the lurch), I'd be reluctant to buy this device. And I own Callaway clubs, and love them.

Just concerned about the commitment of a non-optics company to an optical product. Their past stuff was made by Nikon, which I'd be more comfortable with.
[/quote]

I believe this is made by Nikon as well..no?

• 2 weeks later...

In part due to 3putt's review and some hands on experience with the callaway 300 I decided to ask for one for Father's Day, and I got one!

Now I have the best of both worlds with a gps watch (neo x) and the laser. While nothing beats the watch for blind shots and green distance, the laser is great for measuring layups, dog legs trees, hedge rows etc and of course pin distance.

If you decide to buy one there is a $30 rebate on purchases made through early July 2015.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1435145844' post='11824588']
In part due to 3putt's review and some hands on experience with the callaway 300 I decided to ask for one for Father's Day, and I got one!
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you'll be thrilled with the Callaway.

I've used mine several more times since I started this thread, it gets better and better. No complaints at all. In my experience, it is far better than my old V2.

Also, after hundreds of measurements, I'm still on battery 1.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1435152532' post='11825040']
[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1435145844' post='11824588']
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you'll be thrilled with the Callaway.

I've used mine several more times since I started this thread, it gets better and better. No complaints at all. In my experience, it is far better than my old V2.

Also, after hundreds of measurements, I'm still on battery 1.
[/quote]

Yeah I can't imagine not being happy unless it craps out prematurely. I was also looking on Amazon and users gave it rave reviews.

I didn't really need one because the watch is really all I need 90% of the time, but I like gadgets, I had some discounts and the rebate made it an offer I couldn't pass up.

Given your extensive years as a laser user carried a good amount of weight in my decision making, combined with other reviews and the fact that I demo'd it.

Thanks again for your review.

[quote name='sheldonjhacker' timestamp='1435190652' post='11829188']I thought Cally was out of the rangefinder biz? I had a Callaway Nikon...which busted....and was replaced with a Nikon Coolshot 40...and it's a great rangefinder.[/quote]

Callaway is doing this through an Izzo golf partnership. Callaway has stood behind their products in the past and Izzo is a decent company so I felt comfortable with this arrangement.

[quote name='Andy L' timestamp='1435244621' post='11832596']
[quote name='sheldonjhacker' timestamp='1435190652' post='11829188']I thought Cally was out of the rangefinder biz? I had a Callaway Nikon...which busted....and was replaced with a Nikon Coolshot 40...and it's a great rangefinder.[/quote]

Callaway is doing this through an Izzo golf partnership. Callaway has stood behind their products in the past and Izzo is a decent company so I felt comfortable with this arrangement.
[/quote]

Izzo is running the GPS stuff and optics are still provided by Nikon on the 300 - Really a solid product here

• 2 weeks later...

Since it's been about a month since I initially posted this review I figured it might be time for an update...

I've played almost 20 rounds with the unit and have absolutely ZERO complaints. That by itself is amazing because I tend to b**** about everything.

I'm still on the original battery, and aside from using the thing, it's required no maintenance. I tend to abuse my stuff and this is no exception, although it does live in its case.

Unfortunately, it's been almost nothing but rain around here this season and the Callaway has gotten soaked several times. I can attest that it is indeed waterproof. I wouldn't take it swimming, but the thing works flawlessly after getting ridiculously wet.

My league partner has a Nikon and I can get the "number" with the Callaway far faster than he can with his Coolshot. It's not even a fair fight. My Saturday buddy just got a Bushnell with Jolt, same thing (but he's old, so there's that).

The Callaway is as fast and as accurate as anything out there. I play lots of golf and just about everyone has a laser. This one is as good (and in most cases better) than any of them.

Because it works so well, If I were buying someone a laser rangefinder as a gift, I would get them this one.

BulleRockCC2Behind.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='MaxBuck' timestamp='1434059264' post='11734476']

[/quote]

I feel THE SAME WAY ... I trust Callaway's commitment when it comes to golf clubs, but after owning the original uPro & Callaway ending their support on those products, I'd find it hard to commit to anything else but golf clubs from Callaway.