2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura - need some help

voip_man

guys, need some input please...

I have played blades for a very very long time.. baby blades, tournament blades, retro blades, and now I am playing a set of Don White ground scratch blades and like them very much..

The question is I am looking to build another set.. It is between the miura 501 and tournament blades.. Getting older and am thinking I might need some help.. Seems all the good players I know are not playing blades...

I have never hit the 501's but I can not get any comparisons between the 501's and the blades.. thoughts???

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be listing my 501s on BST tomorrow so I'm much too biased.... I've played blades for a long time. Career, wife, 2 kids later, didn't play enough for the blades. The 501s were a perfect next step for me. In the past 15 months I've had two hole in ones and a double eagle with my 501s. They're so freaking pure when you hit them. For me they played as pure as blades with a bigger sweet spot. I can't describe the feeling as anything other than "pure" when you hit them. They're not a GI club, that's for damn sure. But coming from blades, I would be shocked if you didn't love them. I play even less now and I need a less digger club, so I'm moving on.

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M

[quote name='FyteOn' timestamp='1435541013' post='11852312']
I'm going to be listing my 501s on BST tomorrow so I'm much too biased.... I've played blades for a long time. Career, wife, 2 kids later, didn't play enough for the blades. The 501s were a perfect next step for me. In the past 15 months I've had two hole in ones and a double eagle with my 501s. They're so freaking pure when you hit them. For me they played as pure as blades with a bigger sweet spot. I can't describe the feeling as anything other than "pure" when you hit them. They're not a GI club, that's for damn sure. But coming from blades, I would be shocked if you didn't love them. I play even less now and I need a less digger club, so I'm moving on.
[/quote]

If you are not holing 2 aces every 12 months, with an eagle every other... well then, definitely time to toss the bag. Cut him a deal since they only ace twice every 15mo.

[/quote]

Thank you.. This is what I needed to hear....

When you go for your fitting check out the MB001s and the CB57s .
The MB001s are a great result and for mine are a much more approachable model than the Tournament blade .
Same with the 57 as opposed to the 501 .
The thing they have in common is the leading edge grind that provides great turf interaction .
Good luck and looking forward to hearing what your set ends up being .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

[quote name='voip_man' timestamp='1435526686' post='11851084']
guys, need some input please...

I have played blades for a very very long time.. baby blades, tournament blades, retro blades, and now I am playing a set of Don White ground scratch blades and like them very much..

The question is I am looking to build another set.. It is between the miura 501 and tournament blades.. Getting older and am thinking I might need some help.. Seems all the good players I know are not playing blades...

I have never hit the 501's but I can not get any comparisons between the 501's and the blades.. thoughts???
[/quote]
Take the best of both worlds, combo set.
I game 501 3-5 iron, MB 001 the rest. Really wanted the CB 57 in place of the 501, but in the Cool Clubs fitting could not hit a decent shot with the CB 57.
The 501 is a great, would not mind having it in a full set as well.

I've played blades virtually my entire life. I went with the Tournament Blades (Limited) about 3 years ago and loved them. During the winter I got bored and ordered a set of the CB-57s and they are really good clubs. I realize they aren't the 501s but it's all the comparrison I've got for you.

The only transition issue I've had is that the CB-57s launch higher. My game has always been a lot of punchy knockdown type stuff in my shorter irons and the 57s just want to get the ball up....it seems.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

While I agree the 501's are wonderful irons I found the CB57's to be better. I like the almost blade feel, looks and sole grind. I have found them to launch just a bit higher than the 501's but really carry and land soft, would think getting the correct shaft for your swing would be a plus on finding a good trajectory.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

• 1 month later...

I just switched from the Titleist 712MBs to Miura MB001/CB57...

I noticed that in order to hit the irons flush, I need to set up slightly to the heel.

So on the titleist, I'd set up in the center at address, but with the Miura's, I'd have to set up maybe 2mm closer to the heel in order to strike them flush?

Is it just me, or you guys finding something similar as well?

If you've tried the 57's and couldn't hit 'em, the 501's are the next line.

However, I'd give the 57's another shot. Just my opinion but they are that good.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 4 weeks later...

I have both the 501 and tournament blades. The 501s are definitely a players set. Ball striking is my strength so i have no problem hitting blades. Im going to switch back to the 501s because they are more forgiving and better in wet conditions. When i say forgiving, its not going to turn a bad shot into a good shot, that would be a game improvment club. But the sole design is way more forgiving. When struck pure you cant tell the difference, besides ball flight being higher with 501s. The 501s are just as workable. You can't go wrong with the 501s. Mishits with the 501s will still be mishits but way more manageable. One thing that i noticed between the two is the sweet spot. For the blades it is closer to the hosel and for the 501s it is slighty more center with slight bias toward hosel. The main reason why i prefer blades is distance control. With blades the clubs are way more consistent. Perfect contact will yield you a consistent yardage. With non blade clubs my experience has been that yardages are not as consistent. A perfect shot could lead to up to 10 more yards. However, this is not the case with the 501s. I play both sets in the same shaft. The 501s are about a club to a half a club longer mainly because of launch conditions, (my guess is the weight bar and sole design). Once you are dialed in though it is consistent. With other players clubs i had much more inconsistent results. Feel wise i actually prefer the 501s. At first i had to get used to the feeling of Miura. Since feel is so subjective its hard to describe, but the typical description of most blades are soft, buttery, etc. For me i would say Mizunos have that type of feel. Miura's are way more dense and solid feeling which i prefer. It feels solid like a hammer hitting a nail vs a hammer hitting a wooden tee if that makes sense. The 501s feel more dense and solid than the blades. Hope that helps.

[quote name='kaaayelll' timestamp='1440676276' post='12217074']
Definitely true of the Baby Blades. My estimation was that it was owed to the thicker (and maybe slightly longer) hosels.
[/quote]

The baby blades love to be hit toward the heel. My tendency is a heel miss, which aside from straight hosel rockets that thankfully only happen at the range, is probably why I really do love my small blades. They feel almost flush surprisingly far to the heel.

[/quote]

Until I read your final sentence I must admit my thought was, "This is the quintessential GolfWRX post."

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread several times I finally pulled the trigger and bought a set of MB001 irons because of the favorable comments here. I couldn't be happier. My first strike was with the 6 iron that sailed out to 185 yards, that's long for me by 20 yards, the feedback was smooth and silky like nothing I have felt before in an iron. The rest of the set was just as terrific in response.....I just wanted think the members here for their input and opinions. I now have a dream set of irons that I am very delighted with. Thank you!
Robert

Callaway OptiFit 440cc 9.5 degrees TourAD DI6 SR flex
Callaway X2Hot 4 wood Aldila Tour Blue S-flex
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 20 degree hybrid Aldila Tour blue s-flex
Callaway X2 Hot Pro 23 degree hybrid Aldila Tour Green s-flex
Miura MB001 5-pw Project X 5.5 shafts
Titleist 52 and 56 degree wedge
SeeMore putter