Changes YOU'D LIKE TO SEE to the game of golf

[quote name='Handfull' timestamp='1435728482' post='11867386']
I did type out a post that probably could have taken up a few pages so this is a bare bones cliff-notes version of what I was originally going to post. I would really like to see golf carts eliminated for all but disabled golfers for these reasons;

1- The health benefits not only help current golfers, but also can grow golf to the fit conscious community and improve golf's image as a sport.
2- May bring back youth caddy programs which I believe is still the best way to grow the game and teach good course etiquette.
3- Makes courses look better and are easier to maintain.
4- Would actually help pace of play issues since groups would play at a more consistent pace as compared to other golf groups ahead.
[/quote]hogwash

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1435753500' post='11867958']
[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1435731246' post='11867468']
Many seem to think golf is too hard under the current rules. If you hit the ball out of the field of play or have no idea where the ball went, the penalty should be more severe than a shot into a hazard. As for divot lies, the most basic premise of the game has always been to hit it, find it, hit it again, until it's in the hole. It's not hit it, find it, move it around until it's just right, then hit it again. The OB/lost ball and playing it as it lies rules are NEVER going to be changed by the USGA of the R & A. Never. And rightfully so.

One change I would like is to see some of these fancy new walking only courses be made to offer riding options. They're too tiring to walk, and pace of play would improve.
[/quote]

Excellent post.
[/quote]Not that excellent. I play tournament style golf and play by all the rules, because that's what the rules are. Funny, you don't have a problem hitting one into a hazard and dropping the ball and hitting it from there. But and OB, you do? Not a whole lot of difference between the two instances if you are honest with yourself. So many perfect golfers in here, at least that's what they impress upon the forum.

[quote name='BillyZ2' timestamp='1435754596' post='11868054'] [quote name='Handfull' timestamp='1435728482' post='11867386'] I did type out a post that probably could have taken up a few pages so this is a bare bones cliff-notes version of what I was originally going to post. I would really like to see golf carts eliminated for all but disabled golfers for these reasons; 1- The health benefits not only help current golfers, but also can grow golf to the fit conscious community and improve golf's image as a sport. 2- May bring back youth caddy programs which I believe is still the best way to grow the game and teach good course etiquette. 3- Makes courses look better and are easier to maintain. 4- Would actually help pace of play issues since groups would play at a more consistent pace as compared to other golf groups ahead. [/quote]hogwash [/quote]

I'd like to hear an explanation as to why that was "hogwash"... it sounded pretty good to me.

[quote name='BillyZ2' timestamp='1435755011' post='11868114']
Many seem to think golf is too hard under the current rules. If you hit the ball out of the field of play or have no idea where the ball went, the penalty should be more severe than a shot into a hazard. As for divot lies, the most basic premise of the game has always been to hit it, find it, hit it again, until it's in the hole. It's not hit it, find it, move it around until it's just right, then hit it again. The OB/lost ball and playing it as it lies rules are NEVER going to be changed by the USGA of the R & A. Never. And rightfully so.

One change I would like is to see some of these fancy new walking only courses be made to offer riding options. They're too tiring to walk, and pace of play would improve.
[/quote]

Excellent post.
[/quote]Not that excellent. I play tournament style golf and play by all the rules, because that's what the rules are. Funny, you don't have a problem hitting one into a hazard and dropping the ball and hitting it from there. But and OB, you do? Not a whole lot of difference between the two instances if you are honest with yourself. So many perfect golfers in here, at least that's what they impress upon the forum.
[/quote]

It's different. Why does everything need to be the same? Some people like the fact that hitting into a hazard and hiring OBs are different. Requires a different strategy.

Nobody is perfect but you knew that already and just had nothing left to argue about so you resorted to the drivel that is your last sentence.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

[quote name='BillyZ2' timestamp='1435754596' post='11868054']
[quote name='Handfull' timestamp='1435728482' post='11867386']
I did type out a post that probably could have taken up a few pages so this is a bare bones cliff-notes version of what I was originally going to post. I would really like to see golf carts eliminated for all but disabled golfers for these reasons;

1- The health benefits not only help current golfers, but also can grow golf to the fit conscious community and improve golf's image as a sport.
2- May bring back youth caddy programs which I believe is still the best way to grow the game and teach good course etiquette.
3- Makes courses look better and are easier to maintain.
4- Would actually help pace of play issues since groups would play at a more consistent pace as compared to other golf groups ahead.
[/quote]hogwash
[/quote]

How is this hogwash? It's extremely rare to see a cart on a course in GB&I and their pace of play is dramatically better than what we see in the states.

[quote name='BillyZ2' timestamp='1435755011' post='11868114']

[/quote]

Excellent post.
[/quote]

Relax friend, just my opinion.

OB, for ME, should be a different penalty as you've managed to not keep it on the field of play. And my feeling regarding dropping from divots I believe, has been established in this thread.

Leave these rules alone imo. Why must everything be made easier? If anything, let's see if we could find a way to pick up the pace. Aside from that, I'm good with the actual rules.

[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1435764150' post='11869078']

OB, for ME, should be a different penalty as you've managed to not keep it on the field of play. And my feeling regarding dropping from divots I believe, has been established in this thread.

Leave these rules alone imo. Why must everything be made easier? If anything, let's see if we could find a way to pick up the pace. Aside from that, I'm good with the actual rules.
[/quote]

As noted earlier, allowing for a provisional for a possible unplayable situation or water hazard would help with the pace. One can play a provision for OB or lost ball, but not an unplayable or water hazard. I understand the logic, but it's still a head scratcher.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1435764723' post='11869168']
[quote name='hogans71' timestamp='1435764150' post='11869078']

[/quote]

As noted earlier, allowing for a provisional for a possible unplayable situation or water hazard would help with the pace. One can play a provision for OB or lost ball, but not an unplayable or water hazard. I understand the logic, but it's still a head scratcher.
[/quote]

I just meant pace in general but I get what you're saying..

[list]
[*]15 Second Shot Timer When Cleared To Play
[/list]
I also agree with the OB penalties. 1 Stroke, don't look for your ball and hit it from the middle of the fairway in a straight line from where the ball crossed OB.

If I'm allowed to nitpick here for a second I'd also like to eliminate double-tap/hit penalties.

[quote name='trapp20' timestamp='1435773141' post='11870234']

If I'm allowed to nitpick here for a second I'd also like to eliminate double-tap/hit penalties.
[/quote]

I could possibly see that. If a stroke is a swing with the intention of hitting the ball, and you don't intend to hit it (a second time), it's not really a stroke. I guess the rationale is that [b]any [/b]unintentional touching of the ball is considered a penalty. This includes touches by one's person or equipment.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='trapp20' timestamp='1435773141' post='11870234'][list]
[/list]
I also agree with the OB penalties. 1 Stroke, don't look for your ball and hit it from the middle of the fairway in a straight line from where the ball crossed OB.

[/quote]

OB should be drop on line of entry, fairway or rough, but as a 2 stroke penalty. (That makes up for the distance portion of the penalty.)

[quote name='Bohsaucey' timestamp='1435777255' post='11870724']
[quote name='trapp20' timestamp='1435773141' post='11870234'][list]
[/list]

[/quote]

OB should be drop on line of entry, fairway or rough, but as a 2 stroke penalty. (That makes up for the distance portion of the penalty.)
[/quote]

No, not really. Dropping farther up can certainly more advantageous than hitting another off the tee, and risking another bad shot. Also, no other penalty involves a drop on the flight path. Dropping within 2 club lengths of the OB fence would be more like it.

I would love to see somebody try the Bandon "golf as it was meant to be" concept at the local/micro level. A simple, minimalist, yet challenging design with no carts and little frills. A starter shack, a place to get a drink and a snack, and a decent practice area. The entire "goal" is to walk and play in a reasonable amount of time. No stress about what tee time you have as you know you will get off and get around, regardless if it is 6 am on Monday, or 2pm on Saturday.

Of course, it will probably go belly up in two years, but one can dream.

[quote name='bullunion3' timestamp='1435864745' post='11877724']
No more course like Chambers Bay
[/quote]

Bah. I'll take a dozen.

[quote name='Vardon Grip' timestamp='1435871993' post='11878310']
- Play as it lies
- Putt through the crap
- Hurry up
- Get rid of rough where you can't see below your knees
- Get rid of gas powered carts
- Improve irrigation to save water

And marshals who actually do something, not just volunteer for the free golf later.
[/quote]

[color=#008000]- Get rid of gas powered carts
- Improve irrigation to save water[/color]

You get my vote

[quote name='Vardon Grip' timestamp='1435871993' post='11878310']
And marshals who actually do something, not just volunteer for the free golf later.
[/quote]I agree with this, but it is a two-edged sword for golf courses due to the internet. Golfers who get disciplined by marshals cause them to go online and post bad write-ups about the course. There are tactful ways that marshals can get their point across for slow play, just observing the slow foursome in their plain sight often enough. On the flip side of the coin, I avoid courses that are notoriously slow, and will not play them anymore.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1435596962' post='11855604']
No more ob? No more lost balls?

You'd "rather try to cut a corner, fail and take a one stroke penalty" from WHERE? Yeah just drop it anywhere in the general 40 yard vicinity of where you think maybe you were unable to keep the ball on the golf course. Thats not "more fair" to anybody except the hero in question.

Nothing stops abybody from playing by any rules they want. If its more enjoyable to just randomly drop balls whereever you like, immediately text all your friends that you just "broke 80" go for it! And feel free to try and enjoy that "score", if you can. Just dont keep a handicap
[/quote]
It's easy to find fault with the things people want to see changed, especially if you don't want them changed. But flinging it back into peoples faces while holding your ears and singing loudly in an effort to ignore and drown them out, won't make them go away. It seems that the number of golfers who want to see these changes to the rules, is growing and growing rapidly. Instead of making the hole bigger, which no one seems to want, Perhaps the ruling bodies, in their quest to make the game more accessible and quicker, should look at revising the rules governing OB, LB and divot marks. Appeasing the growing ground swell of support for change ( and it really isn't a lot of change and it would speed play) would definitely help grow the game and more equitable rules would appeal to the sense of fairness that sometimes seems to be missing in the current version of the mentioned rules.
If this kind of change comes about and you are unable to embrace it, then I hope that you will have fun playing by the old rules. Too bad it will no longer be the game of golf, though.....

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

I know I have seen this posted before but it seems like half of the golfers out there now have no golf etiquette. It's frustrating to see people fail to do simple things like repair a ball mark or rake a sand trap. I'm not sure that it can be fixed though. However, my biggest complaint is the speed of play. Again, I'm not sure how or if that can be fixed. Having a wife and kids it's hard to justify the amount of time it takes to play 18.

[quote name='Nard_S' timestamp='1436121317' post='11891576']
I wish the etiquette of stepping on someone's line would gp away. Spikes have been gone for 20 years, why are we still observing this?
[/quote]It's a matter of respect not to dis another golfers line. I wear soft spikes and I can see the "sole" impression on the greens where I just stepped. Etiquette is not that hard to follow.

[quote name='BillyZ2' timestamp='1436141796' post='11893062']
I wish the etiquette of stepping on someone's line would gp away. Spikes have been gone for 20 years, why are we still observing this?
[/quote]It's a matter of respect not to dis another golfers line. I wear soft spikes and I can see the "sole" impression on the greens where I just stepped. Etiquette is not that hard to follow.
[/quote]

Ok the guy has a 6 foot putt for birdie, I get it. A guy has a 30 ft approach putt (even for eagle), I do not get. I could care less if someone steps on my line at any time. Spikes mattered. Soft impressions? Never seen it effect any putt. Not hard to follow but it is pretentious nevertheless.

[quote name='Nard_S' timestamp='1436143877' post='11893262']
[/quote]

Ok the guy has a 6 foot putt for birdie, I get it. A guy has a 30 ft approach putt (even for eagle), I do not get. I could care less if someone steps on my line at any time. Spikes mattered. Soft impressions? Never seen it effect any putt. Not hard to follow but it is pretentious nevertheless.
[/quote]Nard, nobody is telling you that you can't walk on other's line, ever, especially if it is accepted within your own foursome. It will never bother me if you keep it in your own foursome. Although, don't try it when playing with people you aren't familiar with, or especially in tournament style golf, because you might get harshly disciplined. The pros don't do it, for good reasons, nor should any golfer where it might cause a problem, which is about 95% of golfers. If you and your buddies like to tromp over other's putting line, take 5 foot gimmies, use foot wedges, play with earbuds in, take 2 or 3 mulligans, etc, etc, etc, that's fine with me, cause it's within your foursome. Although many golfers don't appreciate such things.

[quote name='BillyZ2' timestamp='1436145193' post='11893380']
[/quote]

[/quote]Nard, nobody is telling you that you can't walk on other's line, ever, especially if it is accepted within your own foursome. It will never bother me if you keep it in your own foursome. Although, don't try it when playing with people you aren't familiar with, or especially in tournament style golf, because you might get harshly disciplined. The pros don't do it, for good reasons, nor should any golfer where it might cause a problem, which is about 95% of golfers. If you and your buddies like to tromp over other's putting line, take 5 foot gimmies, use foot wedges, play with earbuds in, take 2 or 3 mulligans, etc, etc, etc, that's fine with me, cause it's within your foursome. Although many golfers don't appreciate such things.
[/quote]

For the record,I never do it, nor do I do any other of things you listed. I let others know that I do not care if they step on my line.The etiquette is archaic and full of pretense and does a lot to slow down weekend golf.

[quote name='Nard_S' timestamp='1436146480' post='11893530']
[quote name='BillyZ2' timestamp='1436145193' post='11893380']
[/quote]

[/quote]

For the record,I never do it, nor do I do any other of things you listed. I let others know that I do not care if they step on my line.The etiquette is archaic and full of pretense and does a lot to slow down weekend golf.
[/quote]Etiquette and respect for another is NEVER archaic, although today's younger generation it is not as common as it used to be. Also, not stepping on another's line doesn't slow the game down, that's foolishness. I can play in with my usual fousome, if the course isn't slowed by others, in less than 4 houers. Nard, have you ever played tounament golf?

I'm 52 and have played the game for over 25 years. I carry a bag and can do it under 4 hours so I can keep pace with your foursome. Stepping on someone's line has more effect on the ego than on the actual putt. It's false respect. Chivalry at best When spikes went out, so should have this courtesy.We are not going to agree here. It does slow down the game. People waste time on every green negotiating ball marks and putt lines. For what? Really, for what? If they put that effort into draining the putt, everyone would have a better time.

Whether I play tournaments or not has no bearing because I observe the etiquette all of the time. I just think it's dopey.

[quote name='Nard_S' timestamp='1436152929' post='11894144']
I'm 52 and have played the game for over 25 years. I carry a bag and can do it under 4 hours so I can keep pace with your foursome. Stepping on someone's line has more effect on the ego than on the actual putt. It's false respect. Chivalry at best When spikes went out, so should have this courtesy.We are not going to agree here. It does slow down the game. People waste time on every green negotiating ball marks and putt lines. For what? Really, for what? If they put that effort into draining the putt, everyone would have a better time.

Whether I play tournaments or not has no bearing because I observe the etiquette all of the time. I just think it's dopey.
[/quote]

Your entitled to your opinion but walking in somebody's line is a dick move. That's not what slows golf down.

The golf course is just like the freeway. All it takes is a few a******* to slow everybody else down.

Ping Anser 10*
TaylorMade SLDR 14.5*
Adams DHY Pro 18* & Super 21*
2007 Callaway X-Forged 5-PW
Cleveland CG12 50*, Titleist SM5 56* 60*
2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

I would like to see uniform lofts on clubs. 4 degree gaps from a 12 degree driver to a max of 56 degree wedge, plus the putter

So...for instance.

12 degree driver
16 degree fw
20 degree long iron or hybrid or fw
24 degree hybrid or iron
28 iron
32 iron
36 iron
40 iron
44 iron
48 iron/wedge
52 wedge