Changes YOU'D LIKE TO SEE to the game of golf

Some changes I wouldn't mind seeing

1. Play winter rules-forget about hitting a drive down the middle of the fwy and landing in a sand filled divot.
2. Hit on 100 yards off line? Fuhgeddabout it. 1 mulligan per nine.
3. Make the hole a wee bit bigger. Why does the perfect drive off the tee count as much as a 2 foot putt.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

If your going to have a beer cart, at least make sure the girl is hot.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

[quote name='Full Melt' timestamp='1436154524' post='11894260']
[quote name='Nard_S' timestamp='1436152929' post='11894144']
I'm 52 and have played the game for over 25 years. I carry a bag and can do it under 4 hours so I can keep pace with your foursome. Stepping on someone's line has more effect on the ego than on the actual putt. It's false respect. Chivalry at best When spikes went out, so should have this courtesy.We are not going to agree here. It does slow down the game. People waste time on every green negotiating ball marks and putt lines. For what? Really, for what? If they put that effort into draining the putt, everyone would have a better time.

Whether I play tournaments or not has no bearing because I observe the etiquette all of the time. I just think it's dopey.
[/quote]

Your entitled to your opinion but walking in somebody's line is a dick move. That's not what slows golf down.

The golf course is just like the freeway. All it takes is a few a******* to slow everybody else down.
[/quote]

I'll stand corrected when I see statistical evidence that a footprint effects a putt. What about the group that just holed out? What's the chance that someone pre-stepped in your line? Pretty high. Ironically I observe the etiquette better than most. because I do not even use soft spikes.But then again chances are this has little to do with actual cause and effect.

[quote name='BobbyDPlaysGolf' timestamp='1436172539' post='11894682']
I'm all for everyone playing the game but it would be nice if there was a way to get newer players taking better care of the course. It's really depressing to hit up the local track and see the greens wrecked from unfixed ball marks and marks fixed incorrectly.
[/quote]

agreed! it seems to be getting worse !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

[quote name='Full Melt' timestamp='1436154524' post='11894260']
[quote name='Nard_S' timestamp='1436152929' post='11894144']
I'm 52 and have played the game for over 25 years. I carry a bag and can do it under 4 hours so I can keep pace with your foursome. Stepping on someone's line has more effect on the ego than on the actual putt. It's false respect. Chivalry at best When spikes went out, so should have this courtesy.We are not going to agree here. It does slow down the game. People waste time on every green negotiating ball marks and putt lines. For what? Really, for what? If they put that effort into draining the putt, everyone would have a better time.

Whether I play tournaments or not has no bearing because I observe the etiquette all of the time. I just think it's dopey.
[/quote]

Your entitled to your opinion but walking in somebody's line is a dick move. That's not what slows golf down.

The golf course is just like the freeway. All it takes is a few a******* to slow everybody else down.
[/quote]+1

[quote name='glcoach' timestamp='1436158370' post='11894422']
I would like to see uniform lofts on clubs. 4 degree gaps from a 12 degree driver to a max of 56 degree wedge, plus the putter

So...for instance.

12 degree driver
16 degree fw
20 degree long iron or hybrid or fw
24 degree hybrid or iron
28 iron
32 iron
36 iron
40 iron
44 iron
48 iron/wedge
52 wedge
56 wedge
Putter with a uniform loft of 4 degrees
[/quote]Nice idea, how would you police that, you can still bend clubs 2 or 3 degrees.

[quote name='glcoach' timestamp='1436158370' post='11894422']
I would like to see uniform lofts on clubs. 4 degree gaps from a 12 degree driver to a max of 56 degree wedge, plus the putter

So...for instance.

12 degree driver
16 degree fw
20 degree long iron or hybrid or fw
24 degree hybrid or iron
28 iron
32 iron
36 iron
40 iron
44 iron
48 iron/wedge
52 wedge
56 wedge
Putter with a uniform loft of 4 degrees
[/quote]I like your post, and had to laugh at my wedge lofts:
PW = 44*
AW = 49*

[quote name='hollabachgt' timestamp='1435763179' post='11868962']
[quote name='BillyZ2' timestamp='1435754596' post='11868054']
[quote name='Handfull' timestamp='1435728482' post='11867386']
I did type out a post that probably could have taken up a few pages so this is a bare bones cliff-notes version of what I was originally going to post. I would really like to see golf carts eliminated for all but disabled golfers for these reasons;

1- The health benefits not only help current golfers, but also can grow golf to the fit conscious community and improve golf's image as a sport.
2- May bring back youth caddy programs which I believe is still the best way to grow the game and teach good course etiquette.
3- Makes courses look better and are easier to maintain.
4- Would actually help pace of play issues since groups would play at a more consistent pace as compared to other golf groups ahead.
[/quote]hogwash
[/quote]

How is this hogwash? It's extremely rare to see a cart on a course in GB&I and their pace of play is dramatically better than what we see in the states.
[/quote]

In line with your post,the R & A ..over last winter, completed a world wide survey,in reference to pace of play.People

can google it...it is 30 some pages and has some interesting information..."Pace of play for a round of golf in Europe"

will get you there. Sorry to thread jack your post,but it just seems to fit ..

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1436166043' post='11894604']
If your going to have a beer cart, at least make sure the girl is hot.
[/quote]

I'd rather ensure that the beer is cold. I'll only see the girl for a minute, but I have to drink that warm swill after she leaves. Blech.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The more familiar a player is with the Rules, the more he or she plays by them and respects the Rules. Similarly, it seems to be valid also, that the less a player knows of the Rules, the more critical he or she is. (Not so different from life, I suppose ... often we fear that which we don't understand.)

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

If I had to make changes...

The Tee Box... When I first started playing golf I'd always hear don't be afraid to play from the ladies tees if you are a beginner because it is easier.

My change: Base Tee Boxes off handicap levels. So for example 20+ handicaps play off the first set of tees. 15-20 off the second send, 14 and below off the mens traditional tees. In my opinion if you are first starting off or have a high handicap part of the problem is you probably can't hit the clubs far enough to get a real shot of making par.

Penalties... In casual games most people don't count penalty strokes. So why enforce penalties on casual games.

My change: Create a casual stokes set of rules, same as stroke play but no penalty strokes.

Of course my aim here is to bring people back to the game. Every year course close because they cost to damn much and the game is too difficult. If they setup the game to give high handicapers a more enjoyable experience by not forcing them to play off the mens tees (added pressure to just hit it past the ladies tees). Allow for a more casual format where penalty strokes aren't counted, but the remaining rules stay in affect. I think golf can make a come back.

Club changes...clubs cost too much, way to much and the lofts are crazy different...

My changes: Restrict loft angles to clubs, and all irons have to be within the green zone (http://www.leaderboard.com/loftinfo.htm) for each numbered iron. This is to prevent having a useless club with a hard to hit loft as a waste of money. So for example give a 5* range for each club that they can be in, as opposed to pulling out a 4 iron with a 20* loft that matches your 20* 5 wood.

That is just my two cents

Ban golf carts except when medically necessary.

Revive caddie programs, but not sure how to make this happen -- playing golf is not cheap as is, and adding caddie fees would definitely reduce my rounds played.

Prohibit in-course out of bounds. it's an oxymoron as is! Property is either in bounds or out of bounds. If it is on the course property by definition it cannot also be out of bounds!

Some type of mandatory etiquette instruction.

Eliminate the expectation that your $60 greens fee should buy Augusta National-type conditioning and all the associated chemical use.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

In my last 300 rounds, I may have landed in someones unrepaired divot maybe two or three times. I don't see the need to play that as a GUR as it would open up way too much discussion, confusion, and too many golfers would use it to their advantage.

Requiring walking and no carts allowed is a dumb idea. I play a course that's not possible to walk. There are many like that.

On the fence about OB.

Two things I would recommend are:

pro tracers on every tee box

and

Let people putt into the hole with the pin in. Why should there be a two stroke penalty for hitting a putt that strikes the pin? Stupid. Seriously, who cares if someone doesn't want to remove a pin while putting? Plus, it would speed up play.

I'm pretty adamant about golf carts, but of course it is pie-in-the-sky to ban them. Never going to happen.

To my mind, walking the course is as much a part of the game as bringing the ball up the basketball court. If that's dumb, well, I guess I'm on the wrong side of the bell curve. I'd have no problem seeing courses built with real estate in mind and golf a distant priority close up for good.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1436203736' post='11896972']
I'm pretty adamant about golf carts, but of course it is pie-in-the-sky to ban them. Never going to happen.

To my mind, walking the course is as much a part of the game as bringing the ball up the basketball court. If that's dumb, well, I guess I'm on the wrong side of the bell curve. I'd have no problem seeing courses built with real estate in mind and golf a distant priority close up for good.
[/quote]
I enjoy walking, but most of the courses out where I live are simply not walkable. I don't think it has anything to do with real estate in mind or that golf is a distant priority. Courses not walkable should not close up for good. Come up to 8,000 feet above sea level and see how easy it is to walk up and down mountains for 4 hours. If you find that they are not walkable, let me know if you still think they should close up for good. I'd be a bit bummed if they closed because we have some amazing golf out here.

1. Tees should be based on handicap. Shuffle red to a longer tee to remove the stigma, or use completely new colors. Starters, marshalls and course information should clearly present the change and "gently" persuade players to play the correct tees.

2. Public courses should limit the rough length to speed up searches. Still make it penal, just make spotting balls possible.

3. Pin placements and tees on the weekend should be set at near the easiest possible. Trick the course up during the week for the regulars and league nights.

[quote name='mshills' timestamp='1436197660' post='11896348']
Ban golf carts except when medically necessary.

Revive caddie programs, but not sure how to make this happen -- playing golf is not cheap as is, and adding caddie fees would definitely reduce my rounds played.

Prohibit in-course out of bounds. it's an oxymoron as is! Property is either in bounds or out of bounds. If it is on the course property by definition it cannot also be out of bounds!

Some type of mandatory etiquette instruction.

Eliminate the expectation that your $60 greens fee should buy Augusta National-type conditioning and all the associated chemical use.
[/quote]

There is a local course with OB on the right side of a dog leg right par 5. It only exists to keep you from playing up the next fairway and cutting the hole down by a couple hundred yards. I have a feeling it was added after the course was already built.

[quote name='angler99' timestamp='1436203398' post='11896932']
In my last 300 rounds, I may have landed in someones unrepaired divot maybe two or three times. I don't see the need to play that as a GUR as it would open up way too much discussion, confusion, and too many golfers would use it to their advantage.

Requiring walking and no carts allowed is a dumb idea. I play a course that's not possible to walk. There are many like that.

On the fence about OB.

Two things I would recommend are:

pro tracers on every tee box

and

Let people putt into the hole with the pin in. Why should there be a two stroke penalty for hitting a putt that strikes the pin? Stupid. Seriously, who cares if someone doesn't want to remove a pin while putting? Plus, it would speed up play.
[/quote]

I have never been on a course that couldn't be walked. Yes there are some that are harder than others, but no course is impossible to walk. You just may be more tired at the end of the day.

[quote name='FlyPhish' timestamp='1436205589' post='11897190'] 1. Tees should be based on handicap. Shuffle red to a longer tee to remove the stigma, or use completely new colors. Starters, marshalls and course information should clearly present the change and "gently" persuade players to play the correct tees. 2. Public courses should limit the rough length to speed up searches. Still make it penal, just make spotting balls possible. 3. Pin placements and tees on the weekend should be set at near the easiest possible. Trick the course up during the week for the regulars and league nights. [/quote]

There is a huge stigma with tee boxes. Even hitting from the mens tees you are supposed to hit it past the ladies tees... Some golfers can't do this

I like the idea about removing the penalty for hitting the pin. For ever non-putt shot that hit the pin and went in, another hit the pin and stayed out, but would have gone in without the pin. I really don't see the pin as being an advantage on the putting surface.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='jbhawx' timestamp='1436206733' post='11897326']
[quote name='FlyPhish' timestamp='1436205589' post='11897190'] 1. Tees should be based on handicap. Shuffle red to a longer tee to remove the stigma, or use completely new colors. Starters, marshalls and course information should clearly present the change and "gently" persuade players to play the correct tees. 2. Public courses should limit the rough length to speed up searches. Still make it penal, just make spotting balls possible. 3. Pin placements and tees on the weekend should be set at near the easiest possible. Trick the course up during the week for the regulars and league nights. [/quote]

There is a huge stigma with tee boxes. Even hitting from the mens tees you are supposed to hit it past the ladies tees... Some golfers can't do this
[/quote]

True, it would be an uphill battle getting men to play from anything but the back two tees, regardless of color or handicap.

Courses should try at least, slowly change the culture.

I did type out a post that probably could have taken up a few pages so this is a bare bones cliff-notes version of what I was originally going to post. I would really like to see golf carts eliminated for all but disabled golfers for these reasons;

1- The health benefits not only help current golfers, but also can grow golf to the fit conscious community and improve golf's image as a sport.
2- May bring back youth caddy programs which I believe is still the best way to grow the game and teach good course etiquette.
4- Would actually help pace of play issues since groups would play at a more consistent pace as compared to other golf groups ahead.
[/quote]hogwash
[/quote]

How is this hogwash? It's extremely rare to see a cart on a course in GB&I and their pace of play is dramatically better than what we see in the states.
[/quote]

You can probably eliminate half of the courses in Florida as a lot of them are designed into neighborhoods. Walking 6-7 miles in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity isn't something a lot of people are wanting/willing/able to do. I'm not against the sentiment that this game was made to walk but it's functional application doesn't seem feasible to address the underlying issues. Slow players are just slow players. Walking/riding/hoverboarding, those players will take more time.

One suggestion would be to eliminate the idea of foursomes. I know it was created as a way to get more people out on the course at one time and make more money, but time increases exponentially the more players you keep adding.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

[quote name='FlyPhish' timestamp='1436207849' post='11897466']
[quote name='jbhawx' timestamp='1436206733' post='11897326']

[/quote]

True, it would be an uphill battle getting men to play from anything but the back two tees, regardless of color or handicap.

Courses should try at least, slowly change the culture.
[/quote]

Or simply change the yardage. I played several rounds this past weekend, and the blue tees were roughly 6300 yards, whereas they are typically in the 6500 to 6800 yard range.

[quote name='pheenomz4774' timestamp='1436207910' post='11897472']

[/quote]hogwash
[/quote]

[/quote]

You can probably eliminate half of the courses in Florida as a lot of them are designed into neighborhoods. Walking 6-7 miles in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity isn't something a lot of people are wanting/willing/able to do. I'm not against the sentiment that this game was made to walk but it's functional application doesn't seem feasible to address the underlying issues. Slow players are just slow players. Walking/riding/hoverboarding, those players will take more time.

One suggestion would be to eliminate the idea of foursomes. I know it was created as a way to get more people out on the course at one time and make more money, but time increases exponentially the more players you keep adding.
[/quote]
I don't think it is exactly exponential increase. If that were the case then if a single would take say 2 1/2 hrs to play 18, then a twosome would take five hours, a threesome ten, and a foursome 20.

Kind of the reverse of another tread where someone said each additional player should add five minutes to the round - so a twosome would be 2 hrs 35 min, a threesome 2 hrs 40 mins, and a foursome 2 hrs 45 mins.

I don't believe either is exactly right...

More well designed 9 hole courses. I find lately that playing 9 a couple times a week is more enjoyable than slogging around the slow players.

Maybe design an advertised fee structure that can allow you to buy into the second 9 if you decide to keep torturing yourself. I assume most golf courses would make the deal if you were to ask, but I think that an advertised rate would be much more effective. It would require honesty by players not to just jump to the back without paying, but hopefully most people are responsible enough to do so.

[quote name='jbhawx' timestamp='1436205435' post='11897172'] I don't get the ban golf cart changes. Why? Bannig carts does nothing to bring people back to the game (I figured that was the purpose of the thread). If anything make it cheaper for equipment and to play. [/quote]

I will make the following point by prefacing it with FULL DISCLOSURE that I'm simply speculating and have no concrete data to back it up. The data may exist, but I don't have it so the following is obviously very much just speculation...

How much do golf carts cost to buy, and then maintain? I would assume that the price of a golf cart multiplied by the number of carts that an average course owns, would make the total cost extremely high. Add to that the cost of gas (or electric for those that have gone "green"), and then add in the regular maintinence to the carts, and we have very high overhead before we even factor in the golf course.

Now, let's add in the cost of paving a cartpath and the cost to fix damage to the golf course caused by golf carts.

I would assume that if you truly wanted a golf course to be high quality AND cheap, eliminating golf carts would be a great place to begin...

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1436207776' post='11897448'] I like the idea about removing the penalty for hitting the pin. For ever non-putt shot that hit the pin and went in, another hit the pin and stayed out, but would have gone in without the pin. I really don't see the pin as being an advantage on the putting surface. [/quote]

I'd second this. I would never want to putt with the pin in, but I agree with your point. To benefit from the pin in you would need to hit a putt pretty near dead center, and if your speed is excessive you would be likely to ricochet off anyway. Not a bad rule change because there wouldn't be a significant change, but the possibility of speeding up play would be there, which is always nice...