2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ryoma premia d1

Bigmean

I know this is not new, but is it solid and live up to the ryoma hype? I am expecting long and not too bad on smaller misses.

I am between this and Syard T.388, but found a possible deal on the premia and want to pull the trigger. I have never had a JDM driver, but I want a bomber that is playable and trying to get an older one because i can't justify a driver that is over $350.

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a gut preference with regard to head size in a driver? i.e., do you get along best with 460cc heads? or smaller?

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1435766785' post='11869456']
Don't care. I have a 913 d2 now and it is easily the biggest driver head I have ever played. For some reason size of driver after a little getting used to doesn't bother me like it does with irons. So I guess my answer is I really don't care.
[/quote]

Makes it tougher then. If you preferred one size, there would be no question as they're totally different. The D1 is huge, the t388 is small. They're both VERY long, but with different launch characteristics. The D1 is high traj, the SYard is low bullets. Both are soft and have great sound. The D1 has more of a trampoline effect. The SYard is the purest driver I've ever found, and more of a collector's item as it was a limited edition and will not be made again. Ryoma's are ongoing.

Good luck. Can't go wrong with either.

[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

No, that helps a lot actually becuase it says I am barking up the right trees. Swing speed is 105-112 of that means anything. To hear both feel nice helps. I think the s yard is for me, especially since you said lower. However, i am thinking of I can get both at a decent enough price with shafts I like, I may just get them both and sell the one I dont like. I want my first jdm driver experience to be a good one, and I really want it to beat out my 913 distance wise by a good anount.

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1435772409' post='11870148']
No, that helps a lot actually becuase it says I am barking up the right trees. Swing speed is 105-112 of that means anything. To hear both feel nice helps. I think the s yard is for me, especially since you said lower. However, i am thinking of I can get both at a decent enough price with shafts I like, I may just get them both and sell the one I dont like. I want my first jdm driver experience to be a good one, and I really want it to beat out my 913 distance wise by a good anount.
[/quote]

With that swing speed, I think you're correct in leaning toward the S-Yard. It's more of a tour type driver. Incredibly piercing trajectory, huge roll out. Lower swing speeds tend to like the Ryoma more. But if you're up for trying both, I totally agree, you can sell either one afterward (although I think you'll want to keep the T388 even if you like the Ryoma for now... <g>). It's a stunner, a classic, Kobayashi's "last best driver."

Best of luck.

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1435768931' post='11869684']
[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1435766785' post='11869456']
Don't care. I have a 913 d2 now and it is easily the biggest driver head I have ever played. For some reason size of driver after a little getting used to doesn't bother me like it does with irons. So I guess my answer is I really don't care.
[/quote]

Makes it tougher then. If you preferred one size, there would be no question as they're totally different. The D1 is huge, the t388 is small. They're both VERY long, but with different launch characteristics. The D1 is high traj, the SYard is low bullets. Both are soft and have great sound. The D1 has more of a trampoline effect. The SYard is the purest driver I've ever found, and more of a collector's item as it was a limited edition and will not be made again. Ryoma's are ongoing.

Good luck. Can't go wrong with either.
[/quote]

Just took my Ryoma D1 Maxima out for an inaugural round...Looooong,Forgiving, consistent bombs. My Tour issue Aeroburner is AS long but not every time. The D1 is long every time. Count me a JDM fan now!!! (don't get me started on how great the JDM Callaway Bertha Hybrids are!)

[quote name='chiromikey' timestamp='1435801234' post='11873292']
[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1435772888' post='11870210']
...Neither brand of head is forgiving.
[/quote]

I have to disagree with that statement, at least regarding Ryoma. The D1 V-Spec is as forgiving as I've found and I'd imagine the Premia is even more so.
[/quote]
I agree with you! This head is as forgiving as my
G30 (d1Maxima)

I just got my first JDM driver about a week ago .
It's a Ryoma Maxima Type V 9.5 , shafted with a TRPX Aura in S flex .
I must slso agree that this head has bags of forgiveness and is seriously long !
I'm not familiar with Premia but Maxima is a beast !

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

I've owned both the Premia, Maxima as well as S Yard 388.

Premia is very forgiving and higher launching than the V-spec model. Maxima launches even higher than Premia but with less roll for me. Forgiveness both similar.

S Yard 388 is also very long when you hit it on the screw but not very forgiving. Also launch a lot lower than the two above.

In summary all are great JDM heads to start into the JDM world

I am looking at all of these...I won my auction on premia, but the reserve was not met or something I don't quite follow with yahoo auction as I had the winning yen but it was relisted automatically.

I am not trying to be cheap as much as patient and grab an auction that if I don't like it I can break even or so on eBay here after all my shipping and fees. Basically since I can't test this crap at a store, I want to get it and be able to keep what I like and sell what I dont.

So simple question, is the j beam/crazy longest of all, and is it middle in terms of forgiveness? Perhaps I am better off just getting that, but that is almost the price of the others combined....which is why I wanted to dip my toes in a little.....

Patience.

Pick up a Premia. There a enough that come through Yahoo.jp that sell for a fair price.

Also, you need to know what shaft or type of shaft works best for you. get it right and you will never
look back. You may consider head and shaft purchased individually.

IMO, for overall performance, distance, sound, feel, forgiveness, price, the Premia is the way to start your JDM
driver experience.

Now if price is not an issue......

Don't leave me hangin!

Price is always a part of the equation, but......

Yes, the shaft thing is patience comes in. Otherwise there are plenty of deals good enough to just grab something. Right shaft and loft is the waiting game. Trying a ryoma driver seems to me to be the JDM equivalent of hitting miura irons. It may not be for you, but hard to find bad words about them.

So on that note, am I safe with anything with "D1" in the name??? Is there a dud or lesser head I should watch out for (like the beam variations). I would like to cast as big a net as possible on the search without introducing possible ducks.

Thanks for all the help from everyone. This kind of feedback is invaluable as otherwise I am just throwing darts....

I'm in the midst of finding the perfect combination myself. I wish these JDM heads had interchangeable shafts. So far I've tried:
jBEAM 435 w/ Basileus Fiamma
D-1 Premia w/ Tour AD BB-6
T.388 w/ Diamana Whiteboard
Grand Prix Platinum w/ Basileus Fiamma
Crazy CRZ450 w/ TRPX X-Line
Yamaha V202 w/ Tour AD DI-7
Epon AF-151 w/ Tour AD
Srixon ZR-700 w/ Tour AD Quattrotech
PRGR Egg7 w/ stock shaft

On the way to me are:
Astro Tour VII w/ Quadra Fire Express WBQ
Justick Proceed 460R IV w/ TRPX X-Line

I might have been better off starting with a 7 Dreamers custom shaft but I don't know which head to pair with it.

What I determined so far is I like DAT55 face material and the TRPX X-Line shaft combo even though the X-Lines are supposed to be more for hitters than swingers and doesn't match my profile. The CRZ450 (DAT55 face) is in the lead right now, based on my total driving performance a couple of rounds ago.

Your mileage may vary...

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

my 2c...

id argue very strongly that the fist JDm driver people shud look VERY HARD AT is "a " ryoma...., of sorts.
there are so many modles out now its hard to keep track of them ..
wheni first found them there was only the one, the v-spec d1.
thats the best of them over all.
(its not the longest driver there is ,but its the longests and straightest consistantly......)

that was a humongous hit with everyone that tried it.

still remember the first post , i was at the driving range with my clubbuilders stinger shafted one brand new out of the packlet bascially... this cost a mint back then...
i was posting updates. going this is unreal, this is amazing, it just ONLY went straight.
i bought one that night. bec id never hit anything like it before.

got phoophooed immediatly tho on the site, bec they weren on a "for sale list"

then all of a sudden they were and they were selliing TONS of them.

ive still got 2.

there wont be a day i wont have at least one in my rotation,
esp for comps , these tend to get a nod, and ESP if its windy!

the thing about the d1 is the way it stays true when u dont quite nut it.
everyting is unreal when u middle it , but the d1 has that x-factor that is unbeatable if u tend to miss,
ESPECIALLY if u miss high and toe!
man this thing is LONG slightly high and toed!

but other than that its just the most relaible driver there is.

if thats not ur thing, try others,,, but for a first off..

be hard pressed not to get a ryoma which ever one sorts u out.
formy mooola i wotn even look at others , its the d1 by a street.

owari !

[quote name='tsupo' timestamp='1435896625' post='11880372']
my 2c...

id argue very strongly that the fist JDm driver people shud look VERY HARD AT is "a " ryoma...., of sorts.
there are so many modles out now its hard to keep track of them ..
wheni first found them there was only the one, the v-spec d1.
thats the best of them over all.
(its not the longest driver there is ,but its the longests and straightest consistantly......)

that was a humongous hit with everyone that tried it.

still remember the first post , i was at the driving range with my clubbuilders stinger shafted one brand new out of the packlet bascially... this cost a mint back then...
i was posting updates. going this is unreal, this is amazing, it just ONLY went straight.
i bought one that night. bec id never hit anything like it before.

got phoophooed immediatly tho on the site, bec they weren on a "for sale list"

then all of a sudden they were and they were selliing TONS of them.

ive still got 2.

there wont be a day i wont have at least one in my rotation,
esp for comps , these tend to get a nod, and ESP if its windy!

the thing about the d1 is the way it stays true when u dont quite nut it.
everyting is unreal when u middle it , but the d1 has that x-factor that is unbeatable if u tend to miss,
ESPECIALLY if u miss high and toe!
man this thing is LONG slightly high and toed!

but other than that its just the most relaible driver there is.

if thats not ur thing, try others,,, but for a first off..

be hard pressed not to get a ryoma which ever one sorts u out.
formy mooola i wotn even look at others , its the d1 by a street.
[/quote]

<What he said!>

Let me put it to you this way .

A family could live very nicely on what I spend on golf clubs a year .

I am far more than a ho.

But hands down Ryoma make the best drivers.

Now what shaft suits you is a different matter , but if you go with Ryoma you will not better it with anything else and if you find a better head please PM me .

Need a question answered to clarify. So the jbeam and crazy 435 are the same thing? Also, it says FX on it? Has like three weights (heel and toe forward and one in rear). And if I got a crazy or j beam, it would be the same exact thing?

I like the idea if the s yard, and a strikers driver, but the reality is that driver has always been a little weak for me, so I am scratching the s yard and seeing if I can stretch a ryoma and a j beam........then sell either of those of my 913.....

Agree with tsu then -- go with a Ryoma.