Gross Disrespect of TW and Each other on WRX.

tiger's a tremendously talented person, but also tremendously flawed, and personally i think he is more of a negative influence in the world and society than a positive. i'm glad he's not with the world at-large on a regular basis, because i think he would be in for a rude awakening. see him on tv, see him in his element, a private golf course, but may we never cross paths anywhere else.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A man loses his game, nerve, or the body gives out, people respect them. They understand you can't be on top forever; these things happen. They appreciate what they did in the game while they were on top.

To a large degree, people feel the same way about Tiger. His game is poor because his body has given out. He gave everyone ten years of sports entertainment. However, there's a difference.

When a man vows to help children around the world like he's the second coming, all while companies pump him down everyones throats to churn a profit... leaves a slightly different taste in your mouth when we all found out the real story. The man created a straight up double life as a front for public consumption. And even in public view, he acted indifferent with fans as a rule of thumb, carried himself poorly on the course fairly often, refused to sign autographs for stretches that suited him (his agent telling him it hurts how valuable they are), his marketing machine putting the media in fear at all times to control any story written... people lose respect. You can't sit up on your high horse and expect that people aren't disappointed or ready to chop you down once your ivory tower is burnt to the ground.

Tiger Woods made his bed. Scolding people for having a lower opinion of him isn't valid. It's how they feel. They don't show more respect at times because frankly, they don't have as much respect for the guy. He knows how to golf a ball and won tournaments for a 10 year span that blew people away... great. He deserves no more respect than the man that faithfully wakes up a 4AM everyday to cut the grass he plays on. You act like a fool, you'll be treated like a fool.

But, everyone deserves redemption. He could make what was once wrong right again. It's not like he's a bad person, and if our standards are low enough, not out of the realm of other professional athletes. Unfortunately his body isn't capable of coming along for the ride this time. His body is a wreck and he's been either hurt or under the knife since 2008 regularly... this story ends in a whimper. It's a pathetic ending to an otherwise amazing story. Like most stars that burn the brightest, they also burn out the fastest.

BTW, Earl predicted he would win 14 majors. Well, it looks like his dad was right again. For all of his accomplishments on the course, for years people will remember the folly associated with his career. The media feeding frenzy. The swing change. The scandals. However, eventually it will be forgotten, and his records will stand as a benchmark among the top players in the game. And in the end, maybe Tiger came to terms with something he never thought was possible, that golf is just not that important after all.

We keep waiting to see superman again, but folks, he's clark kent...

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I've never been a Tiger fan. But, he is one of the greatest golfers in history, if not the best. As far as his personal life and personality, there's not too many public figures that haven't disgraced themselves or their families.

Good manners and etiquette have gone the way of the buffalo. Everywhere, not just against Tiger or on the golf course.

It's just the way it is.

I like Sergio's chances

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I think the problem is people equate his personal life choices to his choices in golf. If I ever had a kid I wouldn't tell them "Be just like Tiger Woods off the course" but would rather encourage them to be like Tiger ON the course. I don't exactly respect his choice, but they are his and he has to live with them. I look forward to the day where he is a competitor again and just rips through the field like he did some years back.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I kind of like reading the Tiger threads. It's like watching a trainwreck where no one gets hurt. Let's face it, it doesn't hurt Tiger (like he gives a rat's a** what we think of him), and immature name calling on an internet forum shouldn't really hurt anyone either. And, if you sift through the slop, you can sometimes come across a post with some actual content.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my take on why Tiger takes such a bashing. I believe if Tiger had been a nicer person to people that he wasn't paying things might be a little different. An example of that was talked about on the Sirius golf channel the other day. One of the announcers for Sirius who is actually a big fan of Tigers game said they were having lunch where all the players eat at the tournament where Tiger was the host. Tigers round was done and he was sitting in the corner eating by himself. When he got up and left he didn't look or even acknowledge anyone in the place. This announcer said he kind of felt sorry for him. He's known him for a long time and has never had a bad word to say about him but he believes he really has very few real friends on tour. I totally agree with the OP that things get carried away but I also am a firm believer in karma. Just my 2 cents.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='ChristopherMcDonald' timestamp='1437176023' post='11969318']
The man is a legend, and even with his play diminishing rapidly, he is still someone who has done a ton for our sport and should be treated with a bit of respect, which is severely lacking. I know you may not care for the man, or be a fan of his, but some of the things said here are rude and lack couth.

I'm not exactly a tiger woods nut jocker or anything like that, but I think he deserves at least some respect, which seems to be near non-existent on this message board.

But moreover this is a discussion about the current state of golfWRX and the constant belittling and barrage we offer to each other DAILY.

more or less, can't we all just get along and keep it respectful? I know i'm the worst perpetrator at times, and maybe I should just eat my words, but things have gotten out of control, and I think it's time we change for the better.

Feel free to discuss the disrespect of Tiger, or one another here. LET'S KEEP IT CIVIL, let's try something new.

Enjoy!
[/quote]

Chris,

There is nothing wrong with either hating on Tiger or loving on Tiger. He is a public figure, and he is polarizing. Now, when WRXers start attacking each other and resort to name calling, that is another matter, but this is the internet. IMO, WRX is pretty tame compared with some other internet forums I have participated in. Subjects as innocent as guitar and fishing - they can get really personal and nasty believe it or not. I have heard that on some motorcycle forums members publicly call each other out to meet up and exchange gun fire.

Although I don't usually participate in Tiger threads, I like lurking because there are usually some goods points raised, and it is fun to watch, as someone said, in a train wreck kind of way. BTW, I was a big Tiger fan until around 2005, way before the 9i incident, and I started to see what kind of person he really is.

• 1 month later...

I know I lost a lot of respect for him in 2013. (The illegal dropS, one of which that resulted in a tournament win at the players). Personally I think it would be cool to see him back in his best form before he felt like he needed to cheat the rules to win. (See what I did there!!! I think I'm funny) I think he'd have some competition now!

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Wriggles' timestamp='1437219158' post='11971740']
I've never been a Tiger fan. But, he is one of the greatest golfers in history, if not the best. As far as his personal life and personality, there's not too many public figures that haven't disgraced themselves or their families.

Good manners and etiquette have gone the way of the buffalo. Everywhere, not just against Tiger or on the golf course.

It's just the way it is.
[/quote]
I agree. There is a lovely scene at the end of 'No Country for Old Men'; both in the book and film. I won't bother fetching the book, but basically it is two hard bitten old Texas Law Enforcement Officers having a morning coffee and rehashing what has been a violent s***fight. After a pause one says to the other "once please and thank you goes, all the rest isn't far behind".

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still a noob, so I'm not aware of any member bashing or hyjacked threads .... yet. I've been on numerous car forums and as with most forums .... there will be trolling. It's unfortunate, but that's what you get with an internet forum.

As for TW. What he did with the golf ball was amazing. He obviously will go down in history as the best or 2nd best golfer ever. He was compelling to watch. At least he showed some emotions rather than be a PGA robot. Butttttttt ..... I did not like him as a person. He had that NFL wide receiver prima dona attitude. Stevie didn't help matters.

But is golf on TV exciting anymore without TW? I hope he makes a comeback .... but I doubt that will happen.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree with the OP mostly. I avoid the tour forums but all one has to do is look to one of the editorials or instructional pieces to see how viscous we are toward one another. Sometimes it's the regular few who seem to have nothing better to do than stir the pot but guys can't even respectfully disagree with an article or teaching method. Often immediately resort to calling the author a blithering idiot or worse. Someone makes a response and all of a sudden they are an Word not allowedhole because they have a different opinion. Always amazed at the language and lack of respect for someone taking the time to share they opinion or knowledge.

It's not just in here. It's everywhere you look but I guess I expect more of participants from a so called "gentleman's game."

TM Stealth 2 Plus 10.5°/Ventus Blue TR 5S
Callaway Paradym 15°/Tensei White
PXG 0317X 19°/Tensei White Raw
Taylormade 23 P770 4&5, P7MC 6-PW/MMT stiff
Vokey SM9 50, 54° & 58°
LAB Golf Link1
ProV1X