2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Footwear for Senior Walkers

rony

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOLZ! Trolling? 1.5 hours from posting to deletion. Evidently doesn't realize we're old(er) around here, takes a little time for us to get around to things.

But, kinda like the premise of the thread. A corollary to the "Best Traditional Shoe" thread elsewhere. While I love the look of those classic shoes, not sure if the feet would like walking a round in them. Have been very happy with my Ecco Biom Hybrid shoes that I picked up last year. Fit is just right (have been finding a lot of size inconsistency these days in all shoes). Super comfortable to walk in. Almost like wearing the "fluffy bedroom slippers" mentioned above.

Then sometimes just wear my sneakers or sandals. Doesn't have much impact in my game, near as I can tell. Do you have riding shoes and walking shoes or are they one in the same?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Ecco golf shoes. Or loafer style that Freddie couples wear.

Last resort, just wear tennis shoes.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Try Footjoy Contour Casuals. One style is on sale at Budget Golf. My wife and I both wear that brand. Very comfortable right out of the box.

[url="http://www.budgetgolf.com/FootJoy-Contour-Casual-Dark-Brown-Crimson.html?utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Deal+of+the+week+8-11-15+Campaign"]http://www.budgetgolf.com/FootJoy-Contour-Casual-Dark-Brown-Crimson.html?utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Deal+of+the+week+8-11-15+Campaign[/url]

You might not get many replies since "What (blank) is best for me" is a question with way too many variables to give a concise recommendation.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Also, a good insole can make a VG shoe a great one. I have flat feet, so a good insole is a big improvement over stock ones (the ECCO were better than typical). Use the Powerstep brand (don't remember the model but it's blue) that's $20 or so. Read good things about the Superfeet brand. But a little tricky to pick the right one and significantly more $.

Get something with plenty of width oh the toe box A good pair of orthotics will make a world of difference...in street shoes as well as golf shoes.so get a shoe that has a removable insole. You can end a couple hundred bucks on a pair of good orthotics. But the Dr. scholl fitting ,aching at wall,art can put you into pretty good feeling orthos for under 40 bucks.
If you are diabetic and or have neuropathy, good orthotics can be a real godsend.

True Linkswear are what I wear on the course now, after having tried them three or four years ago. Have four pair, even wear the Sensei model as a regular walking shoe, off and on.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I played in a pair of lightweight hill walking boots when in Sweden recently, It was hot, I was tired and the ground conditions were firm. They were excellent, light and loads of support and grip from the non aggressive patterned soles.
Brashers is the brand, probably a UK only brand, but as a principle they work surprisingly well. Designed by Chris Brasher, a better than decent middle distance runner turned fell runner and mountaineer.

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1439485360' post='12130756']
I played in a pair of lightweight hill walking boots when in Sweden recently, It was hot, I was tired and the ground conditions were firm. They were excellent, light and loads of support and grip from the non aggressive patterned soles.
Brashers is the brand, probably a UK only brand, but as a principle they work surprisingly well. Designed by Chris Brasher, a better than decent middle distance runner turned fell runner and mountaineer.
[/quote]

I probably play over half my rounds in a similar shoe from Columbia. Lighter, a better fit and a darn sight more water proof than my Ashworth Cardiffs. I used to wear FJ Contours, but I much prefer spikeless.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1439323499' post='12118514']I deleted post. Nobody answers anything here.[/quote]Spoken like a grumpy old man (hence I'd wager you're not a forum troll) - welcome to the club! Footjoy and currently Adidas fit me good - both brands offerings bombproof enough for subtropical winter golf.

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1439432110' post='12127346']Get something with plenty of width oh the toe box A good pair of orthotics will make a world of difference...in street shoes as well as golf shoes.so get a shoe that has a removable insole. You can end a couple hundred bucks on a pair of good orthotics. But the Dr. scholl fitting ,aching at wall,art can put you into pretty good feeling orthos for under 40 bucks.
If you are diabetic and or have neuropathy, good orthotics can be a real godsend.[/quote]x2!

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1439474448' post='12129428']
True Linkswear are what I wear on the course now, after having tried them three or four years ago. Have four pair, even wear the Sensei model as a regular walking shoe, off and on.
[/quote] Still wear the originals! Very comfortable even though some of the old guys in the group call the clown shoes but what do I care! Own 2 pair and a pair of Skeechers as well on the dry days.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CHE KJARRVERA' timestamp='1439971274' post='12167622']
[quote name='rony' timestamp='1439323499' post='12118514']I deleted post. Nobody answers anything here.[/quote]Spoken like a grumpy old man (hence I'd wager you're not a forum troll) - welcome to the club! Footjoy and currently Adidas fit me good - both brands offerings bombproof enough for subtropical winter golf.

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1439432110' post='12127346']Get something with plenty of width oh the toe box A good pair of orthotics will make a world of difference...in street shoes as well as golf shoes.so get a shoe that has a removable insole. You can end a couple hundred bucks on a pair of good orthotics. But the Dr. scholl fitting ,aching at wall,art can put you into pretty good feeling orthos for under 40 bucks.
If you are diabetic and or have neuropathy, good orthotics can be a real godsend.[/quote]x2!
[/quote]

Actually, I am the person who suggested to the people who run this forum that there should be a category for "Seniors" to post in. It was quite a while ago and I don't know how to find the post to document that, but they took my suggestion and set it up. At first it was called something like Senior Golfers or something like that, and then they changed the name to Classic golf and golfers. Initially, it was a big success, however they could not stop people who were NOT seniors from posting and it lost it's glitter. In today's world, in my opinion, a "Senior Forum" should be for people who are over the age of 65. I've been a member since 2006. The reason that I suggested this was that I noticed that the older members were much more cordial with better manners and for a while, it was very nice. However it did not last long. This forum is probably the best golf forum on the internet, but it is nothing like it originally was. :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='ripper911' timestamp='1441905566' post='12294134']
So, I shouldn't be in here.

I'll get off of your lawn once I get done talking about old clubs and knickers. :)
[/quote]

No that's fine. You seem to have good manners! (LOL)

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

...and what would the "senior tour" be like if the age qualifier were 65, instead of 50?

Just saying...

btw, I am glad I get "senior" discounts at my young age of 62.

On a more positive note. Thank you for suggesting this forumn. It was an oasis in the desert for me during my surgery and recovery, and continues to be a shining light among virtual meeting places.

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1441909667' post='12294628']
[quote name='ripper911' timestamp='1441905566' post='12294134']
So, I shouldn't be in here.

I'll get off of your lawn once I get done talking about old clubs and knickers. :)
[/quote]

No that's fine. You seem to have good manners! (LOL)
[/quote]

I deal with a lot of old folks working in a funeral home. ;) I'll play nice.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1439474448' post='12129428']
True Linkswear are what I wear on the course now, after having tried them three or four years ago. Have four pair, even wear the [b]Sensei model [/b]as a regular walking shoe, off and on.
[/quote]

I just got a pair of these, love them so far. Comfortable right out of the box.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Glad you're enjoying yourself here DY.. We try hard to be all inclusive and without judgement as pretty much anything goes. You're absolutely right about the depth of knowledge in this forum, information you will learn nowhere else.

Enjoy yourself, contribute, post some pics, tell us your successes and failures. Just don't be a stranger.

There are no age requirements or restrictions for appreciating the merits of classic golf and clubs.