2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

RECAP: LIVE Q&A with Callaway Golf on Great Big Bertha & Big Bertha Alpha 816 Drivers! Wed August 1

I was hoping for a reply to my question on page 4. I don't care about getting a new driver, nothing is knocking the 815 line from my bag.

Thanks WRX and Callaway for taking the time.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still hoping for my Q's on page 2. And I'll be selfish...I'd LOVE the 816! lol :yahoo::smilie_cally:

One of them was answered, but they used someone else's question (R-Moto differences from last year to this year).

Will the 816 DBD be offered in a lower loft? I currently use the X2Hot (LDA) 6.5*, up to either 7.5* or 8.5* depending on the day/course conditions and only see the 816 offered in 9* or 10.5*.
How do you feel your Adj Perimeter Weighting system is better than that of the SLDR or R15?

Thank y'all for answering all the questions you have so far! Love the attention and the time we get from Cally

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 8.5° w/ Oban Devotion 6 X-Flex
Callaway 816 Alpha 14° w/ Accra AC75 M5 X-Flex
Adams Pro 20° 3h w/ Aldila Tour Red ATX75h X-Flex
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW w/ X-100
Titleist Vokey 50.08 SM5 F-Grind
Titleist Vokey 54.08 SM
Titleist Vokey 58.12 SM
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport

[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1439563176' post='12136368']
[quote name='3woodvt' timestamp='1439562663' post='12136314']
How does these new drivers compare to Ping's G30LS, which I absolutely love?

Which dofferhould I compare the Ping to?
[/quote]In addition,

Here are my numbers from recent fitting.
SS102
Launch 17.1
Ball Speed 152
Carry 252
Vary 7.9
smash 147.7

Thanks for taking the time.
[/quote]Any thoughts from WRX players? See they answered questions about the temperature in the room during the meeting but a lot were ignored and that's fine. I find it confusing w the shear numbers of Drivers they offer. Anyone compare G30 good or bad vs Callaway drivers?

[quote name='kiw1982' timestamp='1439514062' post='12133432']
Ok. Looks there are 19 stock shafts. Good stuff.
But, for me , it is a little cunfusing which shaft will suit on my swing and these heads.
How can I choose my shaft among them?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Great question and it is not easy. As always, getting fit is really important. I tend to recommend playing the lightest shaft you can for maximum speed while still maintaining control. If you tend to be less consistent at a lighter weight, then move into the heaver weight class. Once you know what weight class you fit in best, try the other options in that weight class to see what feels best for you.

Below are a couple good links we have released recently.

http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2015/08/20/shaft-weight-class-qa/
http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/shaft-101-qa-with-all-4-manufacturers/

-Jason Finley

[quote name='Arpeggi' timestamp='1439516198' post='12133708']
Why should I upgrade from the 815 DBD?
[/quote]

The 816 DBD will be more forgiving and offer increased adjustability and trajectory control. With both of these additions you should see increased ball speeds as well.

-Jason Finley

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440167776' post='12182430']
[quote name='kiw1982' timestamp='1439514062' post='12133432']
Ok. Looks there are 19 stock shafts. Good stuff.
But, for me , it is a little cunfusing which shaft will suit on my swing and these heads.
How can I choose my shaft among them?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Great question and it is not easy. As always, getting fit is really important. I tend to recommend playing the lightest shaft you can for maximum speed while still maintaining control. If you tend to be less consistent at a lighter weight, then move into the heaver weight class. Once you know what weight class you fit in best, try the other options in that weight class to see what feels best for you.

Below are a couple good links we have released recently.

[url="http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/2015/08/20/shaft-weight-class-qa/"]http://cmp.callawayg...eight-class-qa/[/url]
[url="http://cmp.callawaygolf.com/shaft-101-qa-with-all-4-manufacturers/"]http://cmp.callawayg...-manufacturers/[/url]

-Jason Finley
[/quote]

I guess this is a huge unanswered question for me - and it goes to the idea that the ingredients can be gourmet worthy, but it comes down to who is doing the cooking...

If the technology in the new series does what Callaway suggests it does and it sounds awesome - I would like to know who is going to be fitting players and what process are they going to use in order to do that - Given how important this component is and how much of an emphasis Callaway is putting on this piece, I would think there would be some pretty strict guidelines.

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1439549483' post='12135394']
The Big Bertha Alpha 816 is targeted at better players, but the stock shaft is 45.5", a bit longer than the traditional 45". Do you find that better players are moving toward 45"+ drivers?

Anecdotally, I've noticed that a lot of PGA Tour players seem to be edging beyond 45" for their drivers. Is this backed up by data?
[/quote]

We have certainly tested these products in a lot of various configurations. The word "traditional" is certainly changing a bit as well. A slightly longer shaft will certainly help in some cases generate additional headspeed for golfers and most could use that. Some players on Tour have begun using longer shafts than they previously had and some of this is a result of Drivers becoming more forgiving and players having more confidence in being able to keep the ball in play.

We are also certainly able to build drivers in our custom department at 45" if that is your preference.

-Jason Finley

Are some people seeing higher ball speeds out of the GBB over the 816DBD because of the placement of the Gravity Core? What I mean is, if one was to consistently hit the center of the clubface now that the Gravity Core has been moved to the edges for higher MOI, would the ball speeds of the DBD suffer because of the lack of "mass" behind the center of the clubface?

Titleist Vokey 54.08 SM
Titleist Vokey 58.12 SM

[quote name='Wall-E' timestamp='1439562516' post='12136292'] Let me first start off by saying I'm a huge Callaway/Odyssey fan and I really like what you guys are doing. 1) I'm not sure if this can really be answered but here it goes: When focusing on the next model of driver/woods/irons, how to do start putting creative ideas together and how do you decide where to start (besides using the success of the previous model)? 2) Also, I noticed a new Divine 9 club that I'm extremely interested to learn about. What can you tell us about the Divine 9 and it how it differs from the Heavenwood? Keep up the great work guys and I always look forward to seeing what you guys come up with next. [/quote]

For question 1, this process is not always consistent and constantly evolving. Much of it comes down to feedback on what is working with Golfers and happening in the Marketplace. We can have the best technology but if it is not meaningful and beneficial to golfers than that is an idea that we will not bring out. We are always prototyping and working on new technologies and concepts to find what would be best to bring in new products. Depending on the technology this can be a very long time to find their way into a product.

On question 2, in GBB we are offering a Divine Nine in addition to the Heavenwood. In addition to the obvious differences in loft and length, the Heavenwood will be adjustable for the first time in GBB and the Divine Nine will not be. The Divine Nine is designed just like the Heavenwood to be exremely versatile for the golfer who is looking for added forgiveness and versatility in a club that is very easy to get up in the air.

-Jason Finley

[quote name='2012BFT' timestamp='1439564026' post='12136446']
Hi, Guys! I just want to start off by saying how excited I am about this new product line.. as well as many others from Callaway! You guys definitely do an amazing job of really creating the "Excitement Factor" (kudos to Harry and the Zoo Crew!)

Anyway... I currently have the 815 and LOVE it. I have it paired with a Project X LZ60 Handcrafted and honestly don't think I could find a better match... I am very interested in the Great Big Bertha though. At address, how does the head shape compare to the 815? Also, Could you talk about the construction, material, thickness, flexibility and biggest performance improvements of the new "Next Gen" face compared to the original RMOTO? And Lastly, Which of the new drivers do you guys think will have a bigger tour presence?

One more... Based on tour staff (or percentage of fittings you do) do most go core up or core down??? Is one significantly more popular/ common?

Thanks for this opportunity, and keep up the great work!
[/quote]

Lot's to answer here, I will try to get it all.
-The GBB Driver will appear to have a slightly larger footprint as compared to the BBA 815
-The RMoto face is slightly lighter and will help maximize ball speeds on off center hits
-Early Tour indications are that GBB may be slightly more preferred but it is still early
-The Tour has previously been pretty equally split on Gravity Core High vs Low - little too early to tell where it will vary with the four positions

- Jason Finley

[quote name='Luke7' timestamp='1439605741' post='12140442']
I currently hit the 915 D3, and use it because it is long and forgiving on shots across the face. I hit the 815 DBD last week and shots low on the face didn't perform as well for me with the 815 than my driver. So here's my question. What does the 816 DBD have to make up for the forgiveness that was maybe lacking in the 815 DBD?

Thanks for the opportunity!
Luke
[/quote]

The biggest differences in the 816 DBD and the 815 DBD are that the weight savings in the face allowed for additional weight to be placed in the head for additional forgiveness. Moving the Gravity Core closer to the perimeter of the head also helped to increase the MOI as well.

-Jason Finley

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440196921' post='12185600'][quote name='Luke7' timestamp='1439605741' post='12140442']
I currently hit the 915 D3, and use it because it is long and forgiving on shots across the face. I hit the 815 DBD last week and shots low on the face didn't perform as well for me with the 815 than my driver. So here's my question. What does the 816 DBD have to make up for the forgiveness that was maybe lacking in the 815 DBD?

Thanks for the opportunity!
Luke
[/quote]

The biggest differences in the 816 DBD and the 815 DBD are that the weight savings in the face allowed for additional weight to be placed in the head for additional forgiveness. Moving the Gravity Core closer to the perimeter of the head also helped to increase the MOI as well.

-Jason Finley[/quote]

Awesome! The 815 was really hot and low spinning off the face, so with some forgiveness it will be gold. Love how deep the face sits. Thanks for the reply!

Titleist TSR2 10* Ventus Black 6X
Ping 430 LST 15* Ventus Black 7X

Ping G430 Max 5w ADIZ 8X 
Titleist U500 4 DG TI X100
Titleist T100 5-Pw DG TI S400
Titleist SM9 Raw 50.08F, 54.08M, 60.04T DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X7
WITB

[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1440005181' post='12170164']
I had to get up for a work issue and start at 4am, will not make the live chat unfortuantely.

I huess I will try and get my question answered by posting here.

Will the 816 DBD be not as effective for a person who does not hit the smae place on the face consistently?
I play the 815 DBD, and hit just slightly off center to the heel, but my misses are high/low on the face. How does the 816 DBD handle this type of strike compared to the 815? As in, what if the core is not right behind impact?
[/quote]

The 816 will be better for the golfer who strikes the ball more consistently and one of the benefits of the gravity core in this model is being able to maximize ball speed based on aligning the gravity core closer to your impact location. With the addition of the shot shaping control, this can very powerful for the most consistent golfers.

- Jason Finley

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440169390' post='12182626']
[quote name='Wall-E' timestamp='1439562516' post='12136292'] Let me first start off by saying I'm a huge Callaway/Odyssey fan and I really like what you guys are doing. 1) I'm not sure if this can really be answered but here it goes: When focusing on the next model of driver/woods/irons, how to do start putting creative ideas together and how do you decide where to start (besides using the success of the previous model)? 2) Also, I noticed a new Divine 9 club that I'm extremely interested to learn about. What can you tell us about the Divine 9 and it how it differs from the Heavenwood? Keep up the great work guys and I always look forward to seeing what you guys come up with next. [/quote]

For question 1, this process is not always consistent and constantly evolving. Much of it comes down to feedback on what is working with Golfers and happening in the Marketplace. We can have the best technology but if it is not meaningful and beneficial to golfers than that is an idea that we will not bring out. We are always prototyping and working on new technologies and concepts to find what would be best to bring in new products. Depending on the technology this can be a very long time to find their way into a product.

On question 2, in GBB we are offering a Divine Nine in addition to the Heavenwood. In addition to the obvious differences in loft and length, the Heavenwood will be adjustable for the first time in GBB and the Divine Nine will not be. The Divine Nine is designed just like the Heavenwood to be exremely versatile for the golfer who is looking for added forgiveness and versatility in a club that is very easy to get up in the air.

-Jason Finley
[/quote]

Very interesting! I was considering trying an 18* set to 20* in the 816, as I have been hitting a 816 14* set to 16* for a while now, and LOVING that club. The adjustable heavenwood might be the ticket, instead.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='littled1212' timestamp='1440017546' post='12171590']
[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440017481' post='12171570']
[quote name='Golfingfanatic' timestamp='1439532749' post='12135080']
Why did you went from the glossy finish in the 815 to a more matte finish in the 816?
[/quote]We had a good response to the matte finish on XR and I think it is consistent with trends in and out of golf at the moment.

Alan Hocknell
[/quote]Will the Udesign finish on the new drivers be matte too? Thanks
[/quote]

We will have one Matte option but the balance will be a gloss finish as they have been.

-Jason Finley

Hi Jason,

I have a technical question for one of the really really smart scientists / engineer's that you keep hidden in Skunk Works in Area 57.

On the GBB, I am turning it down to 8 degree's (9 -1,D).
It seems that it would it be more advantages, to turn it down to 8 degree's (9-1,N) and adjust the 10.5 gram weight on the back to draw about 1/4 to 3/8's.
Two reasons 1) Less loft and more open face. Less spin. 2) Gear effect from the 10.5 weight positioning on the back being right on the gear effect curve.
Advise please.

Thanks.

P.S. I would love to get my hands on a 8.5 GBB TP and turn it down to 7.5. Hint Hint. :superman:

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440197497' post='12185654']
[quote name='Warrick' timestamp='1440005181' post='12170164']
I had to get up for a work issue and start at 4am, will not make the live chat unfortuantely.

I huess I will try and get my question answered by posting here.

Will the 816 DBD be not as effective for a person who does not hit the smae place on the face consistently?
I play the 815 DBD, and hit just slightly off center to the heel, but my misses are high/low on the face. How does the 816 DBD handle this type of strike compared to the 815? As in, what if the core is not right behind impact?
[/quote]

The 816 will be better for the golfer who strikes the ball more consistently and one of the benefits of the gravity core in this model is being able to maximize ball speed based on aligning the gravity core closer to your impact location. With the addition of the shot shaping control, this can very powerful for the most consistent golfers.

- Jason Finley
[/quote]

A sincere "Thank You" for taking the time to find my question and answer it Jason, very much appreciated. I love the entire 815 set up I have in the bag now, these new releases are the only thing that would even make me consider a swap.

You guys are on a roll right now with your new products, keep up that fantastic work.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

[quote name='Brent1' timestamp='1440430445' post='12198806']
Hi Jason,

I have a technical question for one of the really really smart scientists / engineer's that you keep hidden in Skunk Works in Area 57.

It seems that it would it be more advantages, to turn it down to 8 degree's (9-1,N) and adjust the 10.5 gram weight on the back to draw about 1/4 to 3/8's.
Two reasons 1) Less loft and more open face. Less spin. 2) Gear effect from the 10.5 weight positioning on the back being right on the gear effect curve.
Advise please.

Thanks.

P.S. I would love to get my hands on a 8.5 GBB TP and turn it down to 7.5. Hint Hint. :superman:
[/quote]

What's stopping you from actually going to the range and trying the alternate configuration? Why not try it and see for yourself?

[quote name='Farrow' timestamp='1440432109' post='12198976']
Hi Jason,

Advise please.

Thanks.

[/quote]

What's stopping you from actually going to the range and trying the alternate configuration? Why not try it and see for yourself?
[/quote]

Good Question.
For a 1-2% improvement, it is almost impossible to notice on a range or even Trackman without doing it repeatedly on different days over a long time.
What if I just happen to really on at that time, hitting on at one setting, but off on the other or just have some statistical anomalies on a few swings?

In answer to your question, I will be working it both on Trackman and at the Long Range (I take into account, wind, air temperature and DA as well on the range) to test out my theory.
What I want to see is what the smart guys have to say without any prejudice from myself.

Also they can hook it up to their robot for a few shots at the same exact LA.

It would be an advantage specific to this design if I am correct on using the curve of the gear effect.

Hence, the question stands.

[/quote]

Ooohhh...would be deadly! I have a 6.5° X2Hot turned up to 8.5 (or 7.5 if windy/fairways are hard). An 8.5° with the ability to turn up to 9.5-10.5 during wet conditions would be ideal!

Titleist Vokey 54.08 SM
Titleist Vokey 58.12 SM

[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440016528' post='12171440']
[quote name='knudson81' timestamp='1440016314' post='12171400']
[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440016263' post='12171394']
[quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1440015640' post='12171292']
Jason Finley, Harry, and Chad,

What is currently in your bags?
[/quote]

GBB Driver
BBA 816 14deg
XR Pro 20deg and 23deg
XR Pro 5-P,A
MD3 58W
64 Proto Wedge
Odyssey Works #7CH

-Jason Finley
[/quote]

We need pictures of this "64 Proto" or you are a liar!
[/quote]

I believe there is a previous picture on WRX taken by Richard of that wedge. He has also seen it in action and donated to my kids college fund as a result of it.

-Jason Finley
[/quote]

I have that damn image. I looked for 30 minutes and cant find it. The wedge is a one off from memory and was dark with a small amount of orange paint fill. I wanted it the second I saw it.

R

Question for Alan. In the video that you did with Mark Crossfield, I believe that you said that with the heavier weight in the rear position, the new Big Bertha Alpha 816 has the highest MOI of any fairway wood that Callaway has ever made. Is that correct? Would you say that it is more forgiving and easier to launch off the deck than the new Great Big Bertha fairway wood?

Thanks.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1440472255' post='12203204']
[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440016528' post='12171440']
[quote name='knudson81' timestamp='1440016314' post='12171400']
[quote name='Callaway Golf Official' timestamp='1440016263' post='12171394']
[quote name='sandiegonative' timestamp='1440015640' post='12171292']
Jason Finley, Harry, and Chad,

What is currently in your bags?
[/quote]

GBB Driver
BBA 816 14deg
XR Pro 20deg and 23deg
XR Pro 5-P,A
MD3 58W
64 Proto Wedge
Odyssey Works #7CH

-Jason Finley
[/quote]

We need pictures of this "64 Proto" or you are a liar!
[/quote]

I believe there is a previous picture on WRX taken by Richard of that wedge. He has also seen it in action and donated to my kids college fund as a result of it.

-Jason Finley
[/quote]

I have that damn image. I looked for 30 minutes and cant find it. The wedge is a one off from memory and was dark with a small amount of orange paint fill. I wanted it the second I saw it.

R
[/quote]

This one?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1982037

And the winners of the #GBBWeek giveaway are...

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/21968-orutravis/"]ORUTRAVIS[/url]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/40205-dmeyer1982/"]dmeyer1982[/url]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/1598-ram01002/"]ram01002[/url]

Each receives a Great Big Bertha or Big Bertha DBD of choice!

Thanks to everyone who participated in our chat!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1440515865' post='12205482']

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/21968-orutravis/"]ORUTravis[/url]

[/quote]

Wow! so excited to try the new GBB! I'll post a full review once I'm able to get it on the course. Many thanks to Golfwrx and Callaway!

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1440515865' post='12205482']

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/21968-orutravis/"]ORUTravis[/url]

[/quote]

Congratulations.
Finding a great driver is like finding a great woman.