2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

My Review of the C. FLA Courses I've played this Summer

RichieHunt

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, what time of year are the Florida courses in their best condition?

I would say either October-November or February-March.

Tough to tell because it depends on the weather.

If we get a very rainy Fall, then Oct-Nov may not be that great.

Generally, Feb-March the greens are going to be faster though. But if the winter is wet and cold, that changes everything.

RH

Richie I have always enjoyed your in depth posts about Orlando golf. How has winter been so far down there? I have a buddies trip to Orlando toward the end of February, and obviously I'm already counting the days given where I live!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Is Mystic Dunes worth it? Trying to add another round or 2 and was thinking I'd try Mystic.

Ping G410 LST - Tensi CK Series 60 X-Stiff
Ping G400 3W - PING Tour 65 X Stiff 62G
Srixon ZX 2i - UST Recoil 95 X Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW Project X Catalyst 100CW 6.5 100g
Mizuno MP-T7 - 50,54 - Project X LZ 6.5 125g

Taylormade Hi-Toe 58, KBS HI-REV Flex
Odyssey Ten 2-Ball Tour Line
1.2 HC

Fetch;

I've played there twice, both times my group left with the same impression: cool layout / very weird greens. Like there are elephants buried under the greens, weird. No kidding some of the putts you;ll face are a bit silly. However, we liked the routing and condition of the course both times we played. That said; unless they're giving away tee times or it's 2 minutes from where you're staying, I'd say you can do better.

Toulon Chicago

I'll be there last half of March, so finding courses that are not crazy expensive and that are close to Kissimmee is rather challenging. Looking at doing:

ChampionsGate CC

Eaglebrooke

Mission Inn

Mystic

Providence

Falcons

These are all $80usd and under, $105cdn, which is the max I want to pay to play. Not sure what else I can sub for that price at that time.

1.2 HC

I wanted to go thru all of the different courses I’ve played this summer in the area. I think this is a good list for people who are vacationing here to reference.

Baytree National – The layout is fine although you need to watch for the 18th hole as it is not nearly as long as they say from the tips (they apparently stopped using the back tees). I wasn’t happy with the condition of the course. St. Augustine is the grass of choice on the tees and there’s a lot of it in the rough. And the greens were bumpy. Friendly atmosphere, but they charge way too much for what it’s worth.

Bella Collina – Nick Faldo/Steve Smyers design. It’s a different course from your typical Florida courses because it’s extremely hilly. It has a $60 million clubhouse which is gorgeous. The course was in great condition. I had only played it one time earlier and have come to believe that it is a course that the more you play it the more you will like it because you will no where to hit your ball. A bit pricey, but if you can afford it, I think it’s well worth it.

Brooksville CC – The conditioning sucked and I didn’t care for the design. Too many holes where I couldn’t hit driver. And I think the signature holes, #12 and #13 are overhyped. I like #13, but #12 is trash. Not worth the time, money and effort.

Celebration – I swore off Celebration for a while after being treated so poorly on repeated occasions there. But this time the service was exceptional. Very nice bag person and the pro shop notified each player before the round that it was cart paths only. Play moves slowly though when it is cart path only and they could have easily had us on the course with the carts by noon. Course was in brilliant condition. I think the design is pretty good, but not great. If they keep up with the service (and I don’t ask for much), they’ll start seeing me there more and more.

ChampionsGate CC – This is not the resort. It’s not easy to find either. It’s on the higher end of the Clifton and Ezell designs and is in fantastic shape with an incredible finishing hole. I think there are better designs out there and some courses in better conditions. But, the package of design, conditions and service along with affordable greens fees is hard to beat.

DeBary – Liked the design, but the course is in rough shape. Heard they went to temporary greens and their greens are being overhauled. With ‘real’ greens and a good rate, I think it’s worth the trip.

Deltona Club – Love the design and the greens are usually smooth, but slow. The rest of the course is in rough shape. One of the best lunches I’ve had at a golf course despite it just being a small building. Had a Pastrami on rye that was fantastic along with a great hot dog. Seriously, if I lived closer to the area, I would go there for quick lunch all of the time. Anyway, this is a course about value. If the greens fees are good, it’s worth it as long as you don’t expect much from the conditions because the design more than makes up for it.

Duran Golf Club – I had played here a couple of times and came away liking the front nine, but not liking the back nine. Then I played a couple more times in the summer and thinking that the design is better than I originally gave it credit. It has some problems with some of the holes looking similar. But, overall this is a good design and I like playing there. The wind can hurt it because it’s probably going to blow directly in your face on #17 and #18 which makes those holes very hard. Course is always in tip-top condition. A bit pricey, but I don’t think you’ll come away feeling like you badly overpaid for it.

Eagle Creek – Nice design that really turns it up on the back nine. The course had some issues with the rough over the past couple of years, but now it’s in great shape. Has problems with slow play. Last time I played there we were behind a tournament which wasn’t a problem. The problem was that after the tournament finished, 2 goofs cut out on #10 and took 40 minutes to play #10 and #11 (which is a par-3). Nice staff, but they need to keep on top of the pace of play and they need the ownership to back them up.

Falcon’s Fire – Pretty typical Rees Jones design. I like it. Noisy as all hell because they have helicopter rides that go about every 5 minutes (literally). Course was in great shape. Can get a bit pricey, but if you want a solid golf course design that is going to be in good shape, you’re going to get it.

Golf Club at Cypress Head – I actually like the course, but I think most will not because it gives very tight on the first 6 holes. It also doesn’t drain well. This is another value course for me. If you’re looking for a decent place to play at a good value, this is a pretty good choice.

Golf Club at Eaglebrooke – A hidden gem in the area. Usually pretty good pricing for a great design that is in great shape. The front nine is solid, the back nine is spectacular. Well worth the money and the trip. I make a point to play there once a year.

Grand Cypress N/S/E – It’s always an impressive facility. I think the greens are better on the these course than on the new course. This is a parkland style design and has some very difficult holes. Oddly, never had a problem with pace of play here.

Grand Cypress New Course – Same as it ever was. Always in great shape. It’s designed after St. Andrews, so it’s very flat. If there’s no wind, it’s an easy course to play. I personally like it, but I know others that don’t. It’s going to be pricey. If you’re uncertain about playing a links style design, you’re probably better off playing the N/S/E courses

Harbor Hills – This is a pretty solid course, although you’re basically hitting from inside the men’s locker room from the back tees on #10. Nothing really jumps out at you here. The only issue I had was the condition was awful. They did just aerify, but it doesn’t explain them not mowing their greens in days nor does it explain the bunkers being left unattended. I probably would not pay much to play there again unless I was rest assured the conditions were sufficient.

Harmony Golf Preserve – It’s not in the condition that it once was. But, it’s still a likeable design and the conditioning is serviceable. I prefer the back nine over the front nine. Usually they have good pricing, so it’s a value type of course, but a higher end ‘value course.’

Juliette Falls – Played there twice. The first time the greens, particularly the fringes, were in rough shape. The second time the course was in fantastic shape. One of my favorite designs in Florida as well. Fun atmosphere. Well worth the trip and expense.

Legends (Clermont) – The front nine is nothing to brag about design wise, but it’s decent enough. Where Legends makes its due is on the design of the back nine. The conditioning is always a bit up in the air. This is a very hilly course by Florida standards with some beautiful views over the lake.

LPGA International – Great facility and I usually enjoy playing there because it’s a facility that exudes having a good time with a lively atmosphere, but still there for golf. Out of the two courses you want to play the Hills course even though it has a crappy finishing hole. It has a good layout that is quite strong on the back nine. The Jones course is more open and simple. Better to help build some confidence. Both courses are usually in remarkable condition with slick greens.

Martin Downs – This is located in Port St. Lucie and this reminded me of those 1980’s big time golf facilities where they set up the club house and the restaurant as a social gathering place with the golf course helping supplement the people. The course was in really good shape despite getting a ton or rain. It gets a little narrow on the back nine, but overall we really enjoyed playing there even with the rain.

Metrowest – Robert Trent Jones design where they overhauled the bunkers and greens a couple of years ago to their great benefit. The greens are really growing into their own (TifEagle). The only issue now is that some of the fairways could be in better condition. If you like RTJ designs you will like this course. Best to play there early in the morning as you start to get crappy golfers that play slow out in the afternoon. Generally, a very friendly staff.

Mission Inn (El Campeon) – I can’t decide whether this course is hard or easy. Every time I play it and I go into it thinking it’s there to be had, it’s hard. Every time I go into it thinking it is hard, I play well and make a lot of birdies. It’s an old school course built in 1917 and extremely hilly in some areas. Not just hilly for Florida, but hilly period. Lots of great holes, although I don’t care for #7 and #17 and I have never seen it in poor condition. One of my favorites in the area.

Mystic Dunes – More of an artistic course than a playability course. The greens have ridiculous swales and undulations and are difficult to make putts on. Most of the holes I like, but I think the designer (Gary Koch) went a little nuts on a few holes. Weak finishing hole. This is more of a course to play if the value is there.

North Shore – Front nine is more links style and the back nine is parkland style. Usually very good greens and decent overall condition. Pace of play tends to suck there. I prefer Eagle Creek (down the road), but it’s not a bad course to get on.

Ocala National – Rees Jones design, so it’s very long and fairly straight away. A few holes I don’t like are #2, #3, #9 and #18. Problem is that he has too many tricky holes and it hurts the ebb and flow of the design and makes those holes, which are not entirely bad, less. Don’t expect this course to be in great condition. It’s another value course. You pretty much try to get in for less than $30 and hope the condition is decent and you’ll be happy.

Orange County National – You really want to play Panther Lake over Crooked Cat. Very much like LPGA International in both will be in good condition and Crooked Cat is not a bad design by any means. But, Panther Lake is clearly better.

Orange Lake Resort (Legends) – One of my favorites in the area if the conditions are pretty good. Usually they should be good in the fall and winter. Arnold Palmer design and he designed a good one here. It’s in my top-15 in Orlando.

PGA Village – I haven’t played the Wanamaker. The Ryder Course is a Fazio design and then there’s the Dye Course which is designed by Pete Dye. If you want to relax, play the Ryder Course. If you’re looking for a challenge, play the Dye Course. The Dye Course was fine, even for Pete Dye. Nothing too crazy, but a challenge…especially if the wind is blowing. I would rank this better than Orange County National, IMO.

Providence Golf Club – Lost their greens a bit for a few months. When I played there (in August) the greens were slow, but smooth and looked fine. This is more of a links style course. You get on the back nine and you’re in the middle of nowhere. I actually like this course quite a bit and would play it more if the trip was not so long.

RedTail Club – One of my favorites in the area. Just a really darn good design and in good shape. Nice mixture of tough versus easy holes with a nice set of finishing holes. I think it has the best value for golf in the area and is always in great condition.

Rio Pinar – Old school course built in 1957 and was the predecessor to Bay Hill. I would avoid playing here if it has rained good the night before because it doesn’t drain well. Challenging course to drive on. Their greens should be good in the fall and winter seasons. Just a good, fun old school design

Royal Oak – Located in Ocala. Another hidden gem of a course that has tremendous value. It will never be in tip top shape, but everything is at least serviceable if not pretty good and the design is one of my favorites.

Sanctuary Ridge – Scenic views as it is one of the hilliest courses in the area. Conditioning is nothing to brag about and quite frankly I found the place to be a torture chamber and I’ve played there three different times. If you’re really into good views, this is your course. I just wasn’t into it.

Shingle Creek – They roll out the red carpet for you and I like the course and usually it’s in great shape. However, I think it’s a bit overpriced. Still, they will take care of you and you’ll get good conditions.

Skyview at Terra Vista – Located in Hernando and I think it is well worth the drive. Part of the course reminds me of Timacuan, but it’s far more fun and playable. It is WIDE open on the front nine, but still a solid challenge. The back nine is a little more narrow, but fairly open. Some beautiful views here as well and the course was in incredible condition. Plan on definitely going back again.

Southern Dunes – One of my favorites in the area. Just a simple, great golf course and it’s usually in great shape. Has something like 182 bunkers on the course. But the course is certainly get-able. I wish it was closer by as I would play it all of the time. Only about 15 minutes from Disney.

Stone Creek – The design is decent although not overly interesting. They make up for that by keeping the course in impeccable condition. You really can’t go wrong with looking for golf in the Ocala area.

Stonegate (Cypress) – This is a value course. It’s not bad in the least bit, but not great by any means. Usually the course is in good condition, but I would be averse to playing there if it has gotten some good rain because it doesn’t drain well. A bit difficult to get to as it’s not close to anything. If you can get on there for $25, usually well worth it.

Summerglen – Very short course located in Ocala right off I-75 (where the will be 1 accident either going to or from Summerglen). Not overly narrow and it’s really meant for retirees, but anybody can have a decent time there. Another ‘value’ course.

The Majors – Designed by Arnold Palmer and they just installed new greens. This course doesn’t drain well and needs some TLC. Another value course though. I did shoot 70 (-2) there with a double and that was my only time playing it…but I did think it was pretty challenging. Another course if the price is under $30, it should be worth it.

The Villages (Palmer Course, Mallory Hill and Havana Club) – The Villages courses are pretty much the same. Very resort style in design, meant for high handicappers. Usually the greens have lard slopes to them and they let the grass grown higher on the greens s so people are not putting them off the green. Out of all of them, I think the Evans Prairie course is the least resort style-ish.

Timacuan – They installed new Miniverde greens a year ago and they are super nice. This is another ‘1980’s Golf Facility’ type course that is still in good shape. The course could still use some TLC and it’s not one of my favorite designs either. Far more difficult than most would assume going into the course. It’s a test.

Victoria Hills – One of the best designs in Central Florida. The course is a bit brown, but certainly playable conditions. Has a lot of rolling hills and just a lot of good holes out there. It really takes off after #4. And usually it has a great value.

Viera East – starts out a bit shaky on the first 6 holes, but the holes start to grow on you. The conditions are playable, but never great. Gets a bit windy out there as well. Another good value course.

Waldorf Astoria – Playing here is not cheap. It’s located right next to Disney. They really roll out the red carpet for you there. Free range balls, free bottles of water, complimentary valet and the works. The course is a Rees Jones design but outside of 4 holes it’s not incredibly long or overly difficult. It has some gorgeous golf holes and is a treat to play. I would rank it in the top-10 in the area, easily

World Woods – Most will say they prefer Pine Barrens. However, it’s really a close call as both Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks are great courses. I will take Pine Barrens because it is more unique of a course, but I wouldn’t be remotely disappointed in having to play Rolling Oaks instead. When I played both courses were in great shape and the annual trip to World Woods is always a blast.

Busy Summer bro.....I always liked Southern Dunes. Years back we'd make the trip from NY to Grenelefe West, and hit the Dunes, Falcons Fire, and Grand Cypress. Is Eastwood still pretty good? We're going back some years, but those greens used to be perfect......

Got down to play some courses around Orlando about 3 weeks ago. Had not been to that area in 20+ years. We spend some $$ to play some nice courses. Here is how I would rank the 6 that we played.

1. Streamsong-Blue-I liked this course better than the higher rated Red. Just seemed more fun.

2. Bay Hill-not in the greatest of shape, but it is always fun to play where the pros play.

3. Streamsong-Red

4. Waldorf Astoria-played this course on a foggy wet morning. Actually didn't get to see much of the first 11 holes due to the fog. That may have kept me from rating it higher.

5. Reunion-Watson

6. Reunion-Nicklaus

My buddy is in Tampa and I'm in orlando so we usually meet up at southern dunes to golf. Well thanks to your review we've officially making eaglebrook in Lakeland our go to course. What a wonderful wonderful course. The back 9 had 9 heroic holes. Never in my wildest dream would I imagine such a wonderful course in the middle of no where. For the price I will put this course as a 10/10. And I've been to a lot of courses. There was only 1 weak hole the entire course and that's the first hole. Truly a gem that doesn't get much love.

link to photo tour of Eaglebrooke: https://www.flickr.c...157642928297824

13415451353_bb2b6173ba_c.jpg

Eaglebrooke #2 dogleg left from tee

I used to live in Grasslands. Is that still primo, like it used to be?......

Richie I have always enjoyed your in depth posts about Orlando golf. How has winter been so far down there? I have a buddies trip to Orlando toward the end of February, and obviously I'm already counting the days given where I live!

Lived in Saratoga for a few years. How is the Spa course holding up these days?. I was a member at Sagamore....

For golfing in the last half of March, should a single pre-book tee times now or wait for golfnow deals a few days prior?

1.2 HC

Lived in Saratoga for a few years. How is the Spa course holding up these days?. I was a member at Sagamore....

Spa course is doing well; they have re-done a bunch of bunkers with new, very fine white sand. New green for hole 10 opened last fall, and some parts of the course have had trees taken out to open it up and help the sun get down to a few greens that needed some help. I love the Sagamore; beautiful track. Head up there a few times each year. I'm a member at Saratoga National; shoot me a PM if you're ever in the area and we'll get out!

Toulon Chicago

Got down to play some courses around Orlando about 3 weeks ago. Had not been to that area in 20+ years. We spend some $$ to play some nice courses. Here is how I would rank the 6 that we played.

1. Streamsong-Blue-I liked this course better than the higher rated Red. Just seemed more fun.

2. Bay Hill-not in the greatest of shape, but it is always fun to play where the pros play.

3. Streamsong-Red

4. Waldorf Astoria-played this course on a foggy wet morning. Actually didn't get to see much of the first 11 holes due to the fog. That may have kept me from rating it higher.

5. Reunion-Watson

6. Reunion-Nicklaus

Any specific thoughts on the Reunion courses?

Toulon Chicago

I played Streamsong Blue and Belleview at Biltmore Resort this week.

Streamsong Blue - This is the Tom Doak design. Most people prefer the Red Course (Crenshaw and Coore design). I chose the Blue because I saw a video of a golfer playing both the Red and Blue and thought the Blue was more picturesque. The forecaddy told me that the Red is easier and that's why most prefer the Red. I didn't think the Blue was overly difficult off the tee nor was it overly long. The difficulty was on the undulated greens which are lightning quick (by FLA standards). So if you hit the green, it was tough putting and if you miss the green, it's a tough up-n-down. I will say that I would be skeptical of playing the Blue if it was windy. But it wasn't when we played and I really enjoyed it.

I will get the question 'is it worth it?' That's something I don't think any golfer can answer for another golfer. But, the course is in immaculate shape. I thought the course was fun to play and overall the experience was extremely pleasant. That's the best way I can describe it. And they really roll out the red carpet and the pace of play moves along. So for me, I will go back again.

One side note...they are building a 'Black' course which will be designed by Gil Hanse which will be 7,900 yards. It is supposed to open in Fall 2017. They are going to design one more course and make Streamsong 72 holes.

Belleview at Biltmore is a Donald Ross design that plays to over 6,600 yards (par 71). I grew up in upstate NY where many of the good courses were Donald Ross designs and that influenced local designers, so it was right up my ally. It's pretty narrow, but it's classic Ross. It's also a very walkable course. The greens were rolling well, but the course was soaked from all of the rain. It's probably in great condition when the rain dies down (if it ever does :p ). Definitely worth playing again. Wish more designers would follow Ross' example.

Thanks FLGOLFJUNKIE

Southern dunes is on our list , we rented a house in highland and was just wondering if it is worth playing

I have never played it. But I have not gotten very good reviews from friends that have played it.

RH

You ever play The Sagamore?....

I have and it's alright. Tree lines for miles. I prefer saratoga national. Better well kept when I played 2 years ago. The same for saratoga spa.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

3. Streamsong-Red

5. Reunion-Watson

6. Reunion-Nicklaus

They were both 'ok'. I say that as almost a letdown. Both courses wind in and out of housing tracts. They don't really come into play, but it made me feel as if I was just playing a local public course. The condition was decent, greens were fine, but nothing jumped out at me to give me that 'special' feeling. The Nicklaus course was a bit of a mess, they have a tent for a clubhouse and not much of a driving range and no practice green. We played with a local who plays there every day and he said the 18th hole was brand new. They had to move the old hole to make room for more houses.

I enjoyed the Watson course a little better, but it cut thru trees and had more severe greens. The Watson course is not as forgiving off the tee either.

All in all, there was nothing wrong with either course, but I would not plan a weekend around either one. These are more of a 'throw in' course where you are trying to fill a gap in your schedule if you are planning a trip.

3. Streamsong-Red

5. Reunion-Watson

6. Reunion-Nicklaus

They were both 'ok'. I say that as almost a letdown. Both courses wind in and out of housing tracts. They don't really come into play, but it made me feel as if I was just playing a local public course. The condition was decent, greens were fine, but nothing jumped out at me to give me that 'special' feeling. The Nicklaus course was a bit of a mess, they have a tent for a clubhouse and not much of a driving range and no practice green. We played with a local who plays there every day and he said the 18th hole was brand new. They had to move the old hole to make room for more houses.

I enjoyed the Watson course a little better, but it cut thru trees and had more severe greens. The Watson course is not as forgiving off the tee either.

All in all, there was nothing wrong with either course, but I would not plan a weekend around either one. These are more of a 'throw in' course where you are trying to fill a gap in your schedule if you are planning a trip.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm heading down on a buddy's trip in 3 weeks, we are staying at Reunion in the townhomes/condos on property. The last day of our trip we are playing Palmer in the AM and Watson in the afternoon. It's mostly out of convenience to not be driving around that last day as we fly out early the next morning. I appreciate your review!

Toulon Chicago

I wanted to go thru all of the different courses I’ve played this summer in the area. I think this is a good list for people who are vacationing here to reference.

Baytree National – The layout is fine although you need to watch for the 18th hole as it is not nearly as long as they say from the tips (they apparently stopped using the back tees). I wasn’t happy with the condition of the course. St. Augustine is the grass of choice on the tees and there’s a lot of it in the rough. And the greens were bumpy. Friendly atmosphere, but they charge way too much for what it’s worth.

Bella Collina – Nick Faldo/Steve Smyers design. It’s a different course from your typical Florida courses because it’s extremely hilly. It has a $60 million clubhouse which is gorgeous. The course was in great condition. I had only played it one time earlier and have come to believe that it is a course that the more you play it the more you will like it because you will no where to hit your ball. A bit pricey, but if you can afford it, I think it’s well worth it.

Brooksville CC – The conditioning sucked and I didn’t care for the design. Too many holes where I couldn’t hit driver. And I think the signature holes, #12 and #13 are overhyped. I like #13, but #12 is trash. Not worth the time, money and effort.

Celebration – I swore off Celebration for a while after being treated so poorly on repeated occasions there. But this time the service was exceptional. Very nice bag person and the pro shop notified each player before the round that it was cart paths only. Play moves slowly though when it is cart path only and they could have easily had us on the course with the carts by noon. Course was in brilliant condition. I think the design is pretty good, but not great. If they keep up with the service (and I don’t ask for much), they’ll start seeing me there more and more.

ChampionsGate CC – This is not the resort. It’s not easy to find either. It’s on the higher end of the Clifton and Ezell designs and is in fantastic shape with an incredible finishing hole. I think there are better designs out there and some courses in better conditions. But, the package of design, conditions and service along with affordable greens fees is hard to beat.

DeBary – Liked the design, but the course is in rough shape. Heard they went to temporary greens and their greens are being overhauled. With ‘real’ greens and a good rate, I think it’s worth the trip.

Deltona Club – Love the design and the greens are usually smooth, but slow. The rest of the course is in rough shape. One of the best lunches I’ve had at a golf course despite it just being a small building. Had a Pastrami on rye that was fantastic along with a great hot dog. Seriously, if I lived closer to the area, I would go there for quick lunch all of the time. Anyway, this is a course about value. If the greens fees are good, it’s worth it as long as you don’t expect much from the conditions because the design more than makes up for it.

Duran Golf Club – I had played here a couple of times and came away liking the front nine, but not liking the back nine. Then I played a couple more times in the summer and thinking that the design is better than I originally gave it credit. It has some problems with some of the holes looking similar. But, overall this is a good design and I like playing there. The wind can hurt it because it’s probably going to blow directly in your face on #17 and #18 which makes those holes very hard. Course is always in tip-top condition. A bit pricey, but I don’t think you’ll come away feeling like you badly overpaid for it.

Eagle Creek – Nice design that really turns it up on the back nine. The course had some issues with the rough over the past couple of years, but now it’s in great shape. Has problems with slow play. Last time I played there we were behind a tournament which wasn’t a problem. The problem was that after the tournament finished, 2 goofs cut out on #10 and took 40 minutes to play #10 and #11 (which is a par-3). Nice staff, but they need to keep on top of the pace of play and they need the ownership to back them up.

Falcon’s Fire – Pretty typical Rees Jones design. I like it. Noisy as all hell because they have helicopter rides that go about every 5 minutes (literally). Course was in great shape. Can get a bit pricey, but if you want a solid golf course design that is going to be in good shape, you’re going to get it.

Golf Club at Cypress Head – I actually like the course, but I think most will not because it gives very tight on the first 6 holes. It also doesn’t drain well. This is another value course for me. If you’re looking for a decent place to play at a good value, this is a pretty good choice.

Golf Club at Eaglebrooke – A hidden gem in the area. Usually pretty good pricing for a great design that is in great shape. The front nine is solid, the back nine is spectacular. Well worth the money and the trip. I make a point to play there once a year.

Grand Cypress N/S/E – It’s always an impressive facility. I think the greens are better on the these course than on the new course. This is a parkland style design and has some very difficult holes. Oddly, never had a problem with pace of play here.

Grand Cypress New Course – Same as it ever was. Always in great shape. It’s designed after St. Andrews, so it’s very flat. If there’s no wind, it’s an easy course to play. I personally like it, but I know others that don’t. It’s going to be pricey. If you’re uncertain about playing a links style design, you’re probably better off playing the N/S/E courses

Harbor Hills – This is a pretty solid course, although you’re basically hitting from inside the men’s locker room from the back tees on #10. Nothing really jumps out at you here. The only issue I had was the condition was awful. They did just aerify, but it doesn’t explain them not mowing their greens in days nor does it explain the bunkers being left unattended. I probably would not pay much to play there again unless I was rest assured the conditions were sufficient.

Harmony Golf Preserve – It’s not in the condition that it once was. But, it’s still a likeable design and the conditioning is serviceable. I prefer the back nine over the front nine. Usually they have good pricing, so it’s a value type of course, but a higher end ‘value course.’

Juliette Falls – Played there twice. The first time the greens, particularly the fringes, were in rough shape. The second time the course was in fantastic shape. One of my favorite designs in Florida as well. Fun atmosphere. Well worth the trip and expense.

Legends (Clermont) – The front nine is nothing to brag about design wise, but it’s decent enough. Where Legends makes its due is on the design of the back nine. The conditioning is always a bit up in the air. This is a very hilly course by Florida standards with some beautiful views over the lake.

LPGA International – Great facility and I usually enjoy playing there because it’s a facility that exudes having a good time with a lively atmosphere, but still there for golf. Out of the two courses you want to play the Hills course even though it has a crappy finishing hole. It has a good layout that is quite strong on the back nine. The Jones course is more open and simple. Better to help build some confidence. Both courses are usually in remarkable condition with slick greens.

Martin Downs – This is located in Port St. Lucie and this reminded me of those 1980’s big time golf facilities where they set up the club house and the restaurant as a social gathering place with the golf course helping supplement the people. The course was in really good shape despite getting a ton or rain. It gets a little narrow on the back nine, but overall we really enjoyed playing there even with the rain.

Metrowest – Robert Trent Jones design where they overhauled the bunkers and greens a couple of years ago to their great benefit. The greens are really growing into their own (TifEagle). The only issue now is that some of the fairways could be in better condition. If you like RTJ designs you will like this course. Best to play there early in the morning as you start to get crappy golfers that play slow out in the afternoon. Generally, a very friendly staff.

Mission Inn (El Campeon) – I can’t decide whether this course is hard or easy. Every time I play it and I go into it thinking it’s there to be had, it’s hard. Every time I go into it thinking it is hard, I play well and make a lot of birdies. It’s an old school course built in 1917 and extremely hilly in some areas. Not just hilly for Florida, but hilly period. Lots of great holes, although I don’t care for #7 and #17 and I have never seen it in poor condition. One of my favorites in the area.

Mystic Dunes – More of an artistic course than a playability course. The greens have ridiculous swales and undulations and are difficult to make putts on. Most of the holes I like, but I think the designer (Gary Koch) went a little nuts on a few holes. Weak finishing hole. This is more of a course to play if the value is there.

North Shore – Front nine is more links style and the back nine is parkland style. Usually very good greens and decent overall condition. Pace of play tends to suck there. I prefer Eagle Creek (down the road), but it’s not a bad course to get on.

Ocala National – Rees Jones design, so it’s very long and fairly straight away. A few holes I don’t like are #2, #3, #9 and #18. Problem is that he has too many tricky holes and it hurts the ebb and flow of the design and makes those holes, which are not entirely bad, less. Don’t expect this course to be in great condition. It’s another value course. You pretty much try to get in for less than $30 and hope the condition is decent and you’ll be happy.

Orange County National – You really want to play Panther Lake over Crooked Cat. Very much like LPGA International in both will be in good condition and Crooked Cat is not a bad design by any means. But, Panther Lake is clearly better.

Orange Lake Resort (Legends) – One of my favorites in the area if the conditions are pretty good. Usually they should be good in the fall and winter. Arnold Palmer design and he designed a good one here. It’s in my top-15 in Orlando.

PGA Village – I haven’t played the Wanamaker. The Ryder Course is a Fazio design and then there’s the Dye Course which is designed by Pete Dye. If you want to relax, play the Ryder Course. If you’re looking for a challenge, play the Dye Course. The Dye Course was fine, even for Pete Dye. Nothing too crazy, but a challenge…especially if the wind is blowing. I would rank this better than Orange County National, IMO.

Providence Golf Club – Lost their greens a bit for a few months. When I played there (in August) the greens were slow, but smooth and looked fine. This is more of a links style course. You get on the back nine and you’re in the middle of nowhere. I actually like this course quite a bit and would play it more if the trip was not so long.

RedTail Club – One of my favorites in the area. Just a really darn good design and in good shape. Nice mixture of tough versus easy holes with a nice set of finishing holes. I think it has the best value for golf in the area and is always in great condition.

Rio Pinar – Old school course built in 1957 and was the predecessor to Bay Hill. I would avoid playing here if it has rained good the night before because it doesn’t drain well. Challenging course to drive on. Their greens should be good in the fall and winter seasons. Just a good, fun old school design

Royal Oak – Located in Ocala. Another hidden gem of a course that has tremendous value. It will never be in tip top shape, but everything is at least serviceable if not pretty good and the design is one of my favorites.

Sanctuary Ridge – Scenic views as it is one of the hilliest courses in the area. Conditioning is nothing to brag about and quite frankly I found the place to be a torture chamber and I’ve played there three different times. If you’re really into good views, this is your course. I just wasn’t into it.

Shingle Creek – They roll out the red carpet for you and I like the course and usually it’s in great shape. However, I think it’s a bit overpriced. Still, they will take care of you and you’ll get good conditions.

Skyview at Terra Vista – Located in Hernando and I think it is well worth the drive. Part of the course reminds me of Timacuan, but it’s far more fun and playable. It is WIDE open on the front nine, but still a solid challenge. The back nine is a little more narrow, but fairly open. Some beautiful views here as well and the course was in incredible condition. Plan on definitely going back again.

Southern Dunes – One of my favorites in the area. Just a simple, great golf course and it’s usually in great shape. Has something like 182 bunkers on the course. But the course is certainly get-able. I wish it was closer by as I would play it all of the time. Only about 15 minutes from Disney.

Stone Creek – The design is decent although not overly interesting. They make up for that by keeping the course in impeccable condition. You really can’t go wrong with looking for golf in the Ocala area.

Stonegate (Cypress) – This is a value course. It’s not bad in the least bit, but not great by any means. Usually the course is in good condition, but I would be averse to playing there if it has gotten some good rain because it doesn’t drain well. A bit difficult to get to as it’s not close to anything. If you can get on there for $25, usually well worth it.

Summerglen – Very short course located in Ocala right off I-75 (where the will be 1 accident either going to or from Summerglen). Not overly narrow and it’s really meant for retirees, but anybody can have a decent time there. Another ‘value’ course.

The Majors – Designed by Arnold Palmer and they just installed new greens. This course doesn’t drain well and needs some TLC. Another value course though. I did shoot 70 (-2) there with a double and that was my only time playing it…but I did think it was pretty challenging. Another course if the price is under $30, it should be worth it.

The Villages (Palmer Course, Mallory Hill and Havana Club) – The Villages courses are pretty much the same. Very resort style in design, meant for high handicappers. Usually the greens have lard slopes to them and they let the grass grown higher on the greens s so people are not putting them off the green. Out of all of them, I think the Evans Prairie course is the least resort style-ish.

Timacuan – They installed new Miniverde greens a year ago and they are super nice. This is another ‘1980’s Golf Facility’ type course that is still in good shape. The course could still use some TLC and it’s not one of my favorite designs either. Far more difficult than most would assume going into the course. It’s a test.

Victoria Hills – One of the best designs in Central Florida. The course is a bit brown, but certainly playable conditions. Has a lot of rolling hills and just a lot of good holes out there. It really takes off after #4. And usually it has a great value.

Viera East – starts out a bit shaky on the first 6 holes, but the holes start to grow on you. The conditions are playable, but never great. Gets a bit windy out there as well. Another good value course.

Waldorf Astoria – Playing here is not cheap. It’s located right next to Disney. They really roll out the red carpet for you there. Free range balls, free bottles of water, complimentary valet and the works. The course is a Rees Jones design but outside of 4 holes it’s not incredibly long or overly difficult. It has some gorgeous golf holes and is a treat to play. I would rank it in the top-10 in the area, easily

World Woods – Most will say they prefer Pine Barrens. However, it’s really a close call as both Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks are great courses. I will take Pine Barrens because it is more unique of a course, but I wouldn’t be remotely disappointed in having to play Rolling Oaks instead. When I played both courses were in great shape and the annual trip to World Woods is always a blast.

For the most part, I pretty much agree with you on all the courses.

I would disagree with Bella Colina in a couple of ways. its a very quirky course and I feel that a few of the holes were added because they got to a place and said OOPS i need a par-3. And the marking of where to go next is lacking severely. its way over-priced for most rounds but if you can get a good deal, certainly worth playing as you indicated. And it is very very gettable, especially with more knowledge.

I love Falcons Fire as well but have stopped playing there due to my last 5 rounds all lasting more than 5 hours each. And that's inexcusable in my opinion.

The day I played Ritz the conditions were marginal and the treatment was not good by the rangers to the point, the two guys i was with were going in to try and get some of their money back.

I also love Southern Dunes and would play it a lot more if it weren't so inconvenient.

I seem to hit the courses when they are having troubles with pace of play as I've found the Waldorf with a lot of issues that way as well. I almost became a member there but after my 4th straight + 5 hour round, I had it when the pro said live with the pace of play and expect it.

Streamsong Red is way more spectacular and tougher driving / iron play. Blue requires more short game and putting skills and more approach to green skills. Red will get higher ratings due to various visual clues but I personally feel Blue is overall stronger course. They had to slow the greens down on Blue because it was too difficult for most players they were getting. This is my opinion after 10-20 times on each course. And everyone needs to play both at least once just to see the design differences between the two architects. Both are exceptional courses and most assuredly not typical Florida courses. It'll be interesting to see how the Hanse course compares.

Understand that I'm now looking at the courses from a different point of view. I used to play the tips but got old and decrepid so had to move up and now play the whites generally. So one additional critical criteria that I use is how playable from the whites is the course. Can an average golfer reasonably play the course? For example, there's a par-3 on Champions Gate New course that was 210 yards from the white tees to the flag (with wind blowing into the players face). Most average 18 handicap can't reasonably expect to hit the green on a hole like that (avg drive 200+20 yards carry). that's not fair. i downgrade my opinion of courses that have those types of holes.

I'm not looking for easy, but is it reasonably possible to play the hole or does it require a perfect shot to play with no room for any type of error. If perfect only, then its not fair in my opinion. I could care less if it is super duper difficult and requires you to execute correctly as long as you have a chance. Making someone carry a waste area 250 off the tee and they only normally hit it 220 is not fair.

But your opinions and mine for 99% of your courses correspond exactly, surprisingly. We need to get together sometime in the Orlando / Tampa area.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to give us your top 10 in the Orlando Area? Thanks in advance.

Tough to say because there's a lot of quality courses in the area, but very few really stand out from the others. Then it boils down to condition, pace of play and customer service. I really don't ask for much as a customer. I enjoy giving out big tips as well. But, there are courses that have staff that don't care or the management is so bad that it makes things impossible for the staff.

So, it's always interchanging.

Here's my top-10 right now that I have played and that are public. They are not in order:

Streamsong Blue - Great experience and worth the $$$$ if you have no problem with forking over the money. Fantastic conditions and it's golf oriented and fun oriented.

GC at Eaglebrooke - The back nine is superbly designed. I think it's arguably Ron Garl's best design (very, very underrated designer). The front nine is very solid, but the back nine is ridiculously awesome. Especially #17 and #18

World Woods Pine Barrens - A unique experience for sure. Sort of a poor man's Streamsong, but many like the design here better. The only tough part is the conditioning which can be lacking for what you pay...like the last time I played there.

World Woods Rolling Oaks - Another fantastic course that tends to appeal to the golfer that Pine Barrens is a little too much for. When this course is in good condition, it's a knockout.

Juliette Falls - One of the best layouts in the area. They didn't overseed, but the greens were still good. Get them when the Bermuda starts growing again and you've got a course that is as good as it gets. Great atmosphere as well as the members are friendly and there to have a good time and play golf.

Bella Collina - You have to play there twice to appreciate the course or go there with somebody that really knows the course. The first time I played there I didn't enjoy it. The second time I had a blast. It's certainly different.

Orange County National - Panther Lake - Generally it's in fantastic shape and it's a fun design and they take care of you. However, it's usually very crowded there and that can slow pace of play.

Southern Dunes - Just a really good, sound course with no gimmicky holes and is usually in fantastic shape. Great atmosphere as well.

Ritz Carlton - Many people don't like the course, but I think the design is really good and it's in impeccable condition. The pricing is the problem. But, if you can afford it, it's a good one.

Waldorf Astoria - A higher end design from Rees Jones. Has more of a championship golf type of feel. Fantastic conditions and they always roll out the red carpet for me and my friends, even when it's July and we're paying $40 for greens fees. I dig a lot of the holes on the course.

Honorable Mention

Bay Hill - They are changing their greens (you'll hear them complaining when the Tour plays there) and it doesn't drain well. But, it's a classic Palmer design and you can even see The King there from time to time.

RedTail - Really good design although it can beat you up off the first hole and the last few holes. Also dependent upon the weather over the past few days.

LPGA International (Hills Course) - The first time I played there it was one of the best conditioned courses I had ever played in Florida and that was in July. After that it has never hit that same level of condition. They have a TON of junior events out here which is a pain. And the 18th hole sucks, but the other 17 are really good.

Victoria Hills - I really wish the course was in good shape from tee to green. Masterful design that if the course had the conditioning....it would be one of the most talked about courses in all of Florida.

Dye Course at PGA Village (Port St. Lucie) - I probably would have voted for it in the top-10 if it weren't in Port St. Lucie. Has some Pete Dye nuttiness to it, but nothing too ridiculous, especially if the wind dies down which is almost never.

RH

Would it be possible to give us your top 10 in the Orlando Area? Thanks in advance.

Tough to say because there's a lot of quality courses in the area, but very few really stand out from the others. Then it boils down to condition, pace of play and customer service. I really don't ask for much as a customer. I enjoy giving out big tips as well. But, there are courses that have staff that don't care or the management is so bad that it makes things impossible for the staff.

So, it's always interchanging.

Here's my top-10 right now that I have played and that are public. They are not in order:

Streamsong Blue - Great experience and worth the $$$$ if you have no problem with forking over the money. Fantastic conditions and it's golf oriented and fun oriented.

GC at Eaglebrooke - The back nine is superbly designed. I think it's arguably Ron Garl's best design (very, very underrated designer). The front nine is very solid, but the back nine is ridiculously awesome. Especially #17 and #18

World Woods Pine Barrens - A unique experience for sure. Sort of a poor man's Streamsong, but many like the design here better. The only tough part is the conditioning which can be lacking for what you pay...like the last time I played there.

World Woods Rolling Oaks - Another fantastic course that tends to appeal to the golfer that Pine Barrens is a little too much for. When this course is in good condition, it's a knockout.

Juliette Falls - One of the best layouts in the area. They didn't overseed, but the greens were still good. Get them when the Bermuda starts growing again and you've got a course that is as good as it gets. Great atmosphere as well as the members are friendly and there to have a good time and play golf.

Bella Collina - You have to play there twice to appreciate the course or go there with somebody that really knows the course. The first time I played there I didn't enjoy it. The second time I had a blast. It's certainly different.

Orange County National - Panther Lake - Generally it's in fantastic shape and it's a fun design and they take care of you. However, it's usually very crowded there and that can slow pace of play.

Southern Dunes - Just a really good, sound course with no gimmicky holes and is usually in fantastic shape. Great atmosphere as well.

Ritz Carlton - Many people don't like the course, but I think the design is really good and it's in impeccable condition. The pricing is the problem. But, if you can afford it, it's a good one.

Waldorf Astoria - A higher end design from Rees Jones. Has more of a championship golf type of feel. Fantastic conditions and they always roll out the red carpet for me and my friends, even when it's July and we're paying $40 for greens fees. I dig a lot of the holes on the course.

Honorable Mention

Bay Hill - They are changing their greens (you'll hear them complaining when the Tour plays there) and it doesn't drain well. But, it's a classic Palmer design and you can even see The King there from time to time.

RedTail - Really good design although it can beat you up off the first hole and the last few holes. Also dependent upon the weather over the past few days.

LPGA International (Hills Course) - The first time I played there it was one of the best conditioned courses I had ever played in Florida and that was in July. After that it has never hit that same level of condition. They have a TON of junior events out here which is a pain. And the 18th hole sucks, but the other 17 are really good.

Victoria Hills - I really wish the course was in good shape from tee to green. Masterful design that if the course had the conditioning....it would be one of the most talked about courses in all of Florida.

Dye Course at PGA Village (Port St. Lucie) - I probably would have voted for it in the top-10 if it weren't in Port St. Lucie. Has some Pete Dye nuttiness to it, but nothing too ridiculous, especially if the wind dies down which is almost never.

RH

Thanks for responding. I'm going to be down in the area at the beginning of April. I will have one day to play two courses. I'd like to keep it under 200. Currently leaning towards OCN panther and not sure about the second. Would prefer to keep it within 40 minutes of the convention center area in Orlando. What would you suggest for a great experience in Orlando?

Thanks for responding. I'm going to be down in the area at the beginning of April. I will have one day to play two courses. I'd like to keep it under 200. Currently leaning towards OCN panther and not sure about the second. Would prefer to keep it within 40 minutes of the convention center area in Orlando. What would you suggest for a great experience in Orlando?

There's nothing wrong with Crooked Cat. It's a solid course.

RH

There's nothing wrong with Crooked Cat. It's a solid course.

RH

I noticed that you put Streamsong Blue on your list, but not Streamsong Red. Care to elaborate on that?

Also, how easy is it to get on Streamsong as a single? I noticed you can only book as a 3 or 4 some on their website.

I noticed that you put Streamsong Blue on your list, but not Streamsong Red. Care to elaborate on that?

Also, how easy is it to get on Streamsong as a single? I noticed you can only book as a 3 or 4 some on their website.

I have yet to play the Red.

I got on Streamsong as a single back in September. Not nearly as busy there. I would imagine trying to get on in the Spring would be very difficult unless you book way ahead.

RH