2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

I have a garage setup and can answer some.
1-I mounted my mat to boards that are attached to the wall of the garage on hinges, that way i can fold up out of the way when needed. My screen is mounted on a steel cable with turnbuckle and it uses carabiners so i can slide the screen out of the way. I can park cars in there when bad weather hits.
2-Yes short throw will work. Standard throw may also work, you would have to check. I have a standard throw mounted about 9 1/2' high and i don't get shadows.
3-Currently yes, but they have a PC beta version out now that works. I don't have WGT anymore so i can't answer that part.
[quote name='teamacacia' timestamp='1446596300' post='12548602']
Fantastic thread Dorn!!! I have been telling the wife that I want to do something like this for over the winter here in OK and then a week later I happen onto this thread. I look forward to your updates.

I like the modularity of your set up in that I only have a two car garage and it would have to be stowed away so that both vehicles could be inside during inclement weather. Here are a couple concerns that you or others may help me figure out results to....

1. Your hitting mat is velcro'd to the floor. This would be something I'd like to do to keep some setup consistency, but what kind of solution to keep rain/snow/ice off of it the rest of the year?

2. My ceilings are a good 10'. Can you do a ceiling mounted short throw projector from there?

3. Is the whole system, including the WGT stuff, running over wifi? If so, I will need to figure out how to strengthen the signal in my garage as I routinely get spotty reception there for some reason.
[/quote]

[quote name='wbond' timestamp='1446672077' post='12553250']
I have a garage setup and can answer some.
1-I mounted my mat to boards that are attached to the wall of the garage on hinges, that way i can fold up out of the way when needed. My screen is mounted on a steel cable with turnbuckle and it uses carabiners so i can slide the screen out of the way. I can park cars in there when bad weather hits.
2-Yes short throw will work. Standard throw may also work, you would have to check. I have a standard throw mounted about 9 1/2' high and i don't get shadows.
3-Currently yes, but they have a PC beta version out now that works. I don't have WGT anymore so i can't answer that part.
[quote name='teamacacia' timestamp='1446596300' post='12548602']
Fantastic thread Dorn!!! I have been telling the wife that I want to do something like this for over the winter here in OK and then a week later I happen onto this thread. I look forward to your updates.

I like the modularity of your set up in that I only have a two car garage and it would have to be stowed away so that both vehicles could be inside during inclement weather. Here are a couple concerns that you or others may help me figure out results to....

1. Your hitting mat is velcro'd to the floor. This would be something I'd like to do to keep some setup consistency, but what kind of solution to keep rain/snow/ice off of it the rest of the year?

2. My ceilings are a good 10'. Can you do a ceiling mounted short throw projector from there?

3. Is the whole system, including the WGT stuff, running over wifi? If so, I will need to figure out how to strengthen the signal in my garage as I routinely get spotty reception there for some reason.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Mind posting some pics of your setup?

Callaway Epic subzero 
Srixon u85 18 degree 
Srixon 975/z-forged
Cleveland RTX 4
Taylormade spider
Srixon XV

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1446602827' post='12549236']
[quote name='avinash' timestamp='1446601217' post='12549098']
I recently got Skytrak and I have been using it a little. One thing I noticed is the distance seems to be a little off and it's showing crazy spin numbers. Skytrak driving range distances are off 10-15 yards with irons.

i only have 5-6 feet between the mat and the net. would that cause any problems? attached are the numbers I got for 7 iron and I usually hit the 7 iron about 160.
[/quote]

Have you updated the firmware? I read on golfsimforum that the updates help correct these issues.
[/quote]

Firmware? How do update the firmware. I know the app is updated recently to 2.0. Perhaps Software update is what you meant. If not please let me know. My carry yardages seem low for irons as well.

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

[quote name='spider' timestamp='1446757047' post='12558024'][quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1446602827' post='12549236']
I recently got Skytrak and I have been using it a little. One thing I noticed is the distance seems to be a little off and it's showing crazy spin numbers. Skytrak driving range distances are off 10-15 yards with irons.

i only have 5-6 feet between the mat and the net. would that cause any problems? attached are the numbers I got for 7 iron and I usually hit the 7 iron about 160.
[/quote]

Have you updated the firmware? I read on golfsimforum that the updates help correct these issues.
[/quote]

Firmware? How do update the firmware. I know the app is updated recently to 2.0. Perhaps Software update is what you meant. If not please let me know. My carry yardages seem low for irons as well.[/quote]

I think the thread I read misused that word too. wbond knows way more, I'll default to him at least until mine is delivered.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1446762024' post='12558352']
[quote name='spider' timestamp='1446757047' post='12558024'][quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1446602827' post='12549236']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Firmware? How do update the firmware. I know the app is updated recently to 2.0. Perhaps Software update is what you meant. If not please let me know. My carry yardages seem low for irons as well.[/quote]

I think the thread I read misused that word too. wbond knows way more, I'll default to him at least until mine is delivered.
[/quote]

The actualy SkyTrak has firmware in it. From what I read, the latest software for iOS automatically updates the firmware on the actual device.

• 3 months later...

What changed with the 2.2 software update? Looking to pick one of these boys up.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

What changed with the 2.2 software update? Looking to pick one of these boys up.

Edit: V2.2 isn't out yet.

From Golf Simulator forum. This btw is a great resource. Here is link to http://golfsimulator...m/forum/skytrak

Seth from skytrak posted this

I'm finally back. It's been an insane last few weeks. I wanted to pop in quickly and give an update on a few things:

1) v2.2 - We had an unexpected body of development work come out of the PGA show. It had to do with how the SkyTrak unit communicates with the software and was a huge change, but it is certainly for the best and improves the connection stability. The changes we made will directly affect all of our simulation partners as well and make for a more enjoyable game play experience. I have been in contact with some of you and used your accounts to test the data sync issues - I have been successful on all accounts, syncing data in every connection scenario possible. We still have a few small items to take care of in the background and I hate to release anything on a Friday, but here's the deal - I will give you guys what I have right now for PC to play around with over the weekend. Install at your own risk and please don't call customer support on it. I'll be back on Monday to handle any and all concerns.

v2.2.0

- Added new Practice Green Feature

- Added unit internal leveling information

- Added player ball markers in multi-player challenges

- Added Undefined Club option

- Added ability to choose club during challenges

- Improved Profile History

- Improved Device Connection Stability

- Improved Data Sync process (indicator now in Profile)

- Improved local database

- Adjusted scale of shot plotting graph

- Added Alignment Mode reminder

- Added fine-tune adjustment to Target Challenge

- Added loading screen to enter Practice

- Added side spin to session export

- Refreshed Challenge Dashboard Icons

- Temporarily disabled Stats

- Numerous behind-the-scenes bug fixes

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've got about 14 feet to work with, would I still need a short throw projector? I'm not planning on spending $1k on the projector, since it will only ever be used for the golf room.

Gonna go with the Epson home cinema 640. Got a solid recommendation from wirecutter as an all around good projector under $500 and I don't think I need short throw.

All the home simulator info you could ever want is on another forum. Google golf sim forum, and you'll be there.

Everyone on this site that has posted about theirs most likely got all their info from that forum.

Including best options for projectors...and everything else.

Yeah, that site has been mentioned already. It's definitely a wealth of information and a site that I visit frequently to keep up on SkyTrak news as they post there.

I've got about 14 feet to work with, would I still need a short throw projector? I'm not planning on spending $1k on the projector, since it will only ever be used for the golf room.

Gonna go with the Epson home cinema 640. Got a solid recommendation from wirecutter as an all around good projector under $500 and I don't think I need short throw.

If I remember correctly, I had 15-16 feet and without a short throw, I'm rocking a 110" screen which is enormous. Just check the manufacturers info for whatever projector you're looking at and they should have the max screen size for the distance you have to work with. A short throw would be a nice addition, but anything new would definitely put you into a much higher price point.

Like I said in the original post, I spent $320 on mine and for a garage setup, I couldn't be happier. It has been perfect. If I were building a home theater, then I definitely opt for a short throw higher end projector, but it's really not needed if you can get a long throw to work.

All the home simulator info you could ever want is on another forum. Google golf sim forum, and you'll be there.

Everyone on this site that has posted about theirs most likely got all their info from that forum.

And the people that really are the backbone of that forum learned everything they know on the Ottawa golf simulator forum. Small world.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

And the people that really are the backbone of that forum learned everything they know on the Ottawa golf simulator forum. Small world.

Yes we did.

Yup, it seems like a great site. I sort of doubt the forums ability to let me know what dornstar's experience with the projector he bought has been though.

CCE mats are totally worth it. If you want a more "realistic" feel...that's where it starts. The mat you hit off during practice is just as important as the machine you use in my opinion. No point in paying $2000+ just for the system to save $300 for a cheap mat.

I have the 4x5 CCE mat, which you can also stick tees in.

Also, and this is a big also, if you use a CCE mat and have forged clubs it will not bend your irons like harder "bouncier" mats do because the club doesn't bounce it grabs.

How many shots do you think you have improved since getting the simulator?

Quite a bit actually, but it's hard to explain since I was already a + handicap golfer. I've gone from a +1.1 to a +2.1, but the difference is much greater than that would indicate....

BEFORE

Despite being a +1 handicap golfer, I was EXTREMELY erratic. I could go out one day and shoot a 68 and turn around the next and shoot a 80 and under tournament pressure, I would often blow up because I really didn't have command of my swing. I didn't trust my swing at all and put way too much pressure on my short game. It was either on or it wasn't and if it wasn't, I was dead in the water and had zero ability to fix it on the fly. My scoring average was horrific. Sure, I carded a + handicap, but my average play was closer to a 3-5 handicap.

AFTER

It became immediately clear after building the simulator that I put too much "sidespin" on the ball whether the shot was good or bad. Good shots could have 1200+ sidespin and bad shots would be in the 2000+ range. There was just way, way too much curvature which made it unpredictable. Also, the starting angle of my shots was too erratic. On average, I could start the ball anywhere from 2 degrees right to 2 degrees left and the difference between those is enormous.... like a 5 yard draw vs a 30 yard hook. My ideal ballflight is a push draw and my miss was always a straight hook, so I set out to fix that which took a solid 2 months of hitting about a 1000 balls per day. I straight up went all holy jihad on my swing.

For the first few weeks, I didn't nothing but tried to start my ball 2 degrees to the right. I didn't care what happened after that, I just wanted to start the ball in a consistent direction. It took a few grip and swing changes, but eventually I got to where I was hitting that number almost every time. From that point, I started working on the curvature and trying to get less than 600 spin which was easier of the two to fix. During this process, I didn't play a single round of golf during this process, but when I came out of it, I had a stock 5 yard push draw that I could trust. On top of that, I understood my tendencies and the corrections that needed to be made to get back on track WHICH WAS HUGE. My first round out, I think I shot in the 60s despite a rusty short game since I hadn't chipped or putted in 2 months. I was DIALED IN.

On top of the improved full swing, my wedge game improved dramatically. Every morning, I make my coffee and go into the simulator to do ladder drills from 20 to 100 yards working my way up and back down. I'm at the point now that I have my family come in and call out shots and I'm almost always within 3 yards of that distance. We usually throw a little bet on it like who does the chores that night to add some pressure. If I'm within 3 yards, I get a point. If not, they do. At first, I was always losing, but now they don't even like to do it because they know they're going down. On the course, I am straight up licking my chops with a wedge in my hands.

So, to answer your question, my handicap has improved a little, but my overall ability as a golfer has improved dramatically as has my consistency. I don't have the wild swings in scores and my scoring average is down nearly 3 strokes. I'm a +2.1 handicap and I play like it.

Here's and example of 20 shots with a 4 iron a few months back and I've improved more since this. Furthest right is 7 yards. Furthest left is 10. I'm not a pro by any stretch, so from 210 out, that spread is pretty damn impressive and all extremely playable shots. I don't have an image of before I when through my swing evolution, but let's just say that you would have seen shots all over the freaking place.

411673588.jpg

I don't have the whole thing set up yet, should be done this weekend, but i have been hitting off the mat and I gotta say I love it. What makes the CCE worth an extra $400?

Well, I'm getting ready to have surgery on my right elbow and I'm pretty sure the mat played a huge role in the injury, so it's definitely worth it. The quality difference between the All Turf mat and the CCE is dramatic. The CCE has about 3/4" padding under it and the fibers are more dense. The All Turf has about 1-2mm of padding and the fibers aren't nearly of the same quality. There's so much less impact and drag of the club going through the ball with the CCE. Seriously, it lives up to the hype. With the injury, my elbow is extremely sensitive right now and the difference between hitting off the two is enormous.

If you only hit a bucket or so worth of balls a day, the All Turf is probably sufficient. If you're a range rat like me who can hit upwards of a thousand balls in a day, it's not going to cut it.

This is awesome stuff dorn. I'll blame you, since this thread is what got me started on this idea a few months back! I've got the mat and screen all set up and just did a demo of the flightscope Xi+. I am leaning heavily in the Xi direction for the additional data that it provides over Skytrak, but the ball flight control and drills you've described are awesome and exactly what I'm looking to solidify. The Skytrak is still temping with the ability to use TGC though.....Best of luck with the elbow surgery, sorry to hear that!

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Drew I'll add that the practice green stuff is awesome too - pick any yard distance and hit into greens of various sizes. It adds an ever more "game" feel to it when you're doing the contests as well.

This is awesome stuff dorn. I'll blame you, since this thread is what got me started on this idea a few months back! I've got the mat and screen all set up and just did a demo of the flightscope Xi+. I am leaning heavily in the Xi direction for the additional data that it provides over Skytrak, but the ball flight control and drills you've described are awesome and exactly what I'm looking to solidify. The Skytrak is still temping with the ability to use TGC though.....Best of luck with the elbow surgery, sorry to hear that!

Outside of the obvious price limitations, the reason I went with the Skytrak is that I only have about 16-17 feet to work with, so any doppler radar based launch monitor was pretty much eliminated. The Skytrak has been great though. You just need to put in your due diligence to make sure it is setup as straight as possible to get the most accurate readings. I do wish I had club data, but with the launch direction and sidespin, it's not too hard to figure out what your face and path is doing.