$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

The 12.9 iPad Pro has zero delay, just an FYI

Get the CCE mat as well, there is no better one on the market.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Stumbled across this thread yesterday and found it interesting as I've wanted to build out a simulator/launch monitor for practice(and fun) for some time but wasn't going to spend 10k+.

Some questions if you will as I may purchase a similar setup this week:

- I have a large basement(10 ft ceilings, 30 feet of space each way). Would someone still recommend the The SkyTrack or something else? Would be nice to also measure swing speed and understand how it's accelerating, swing path, etc...

-Does anyone have camera's they use with the setup, or something like SkyPro(seems this may measure speed/path, etc.

Also, it sounds like it's a no brainer to go with the CCE mat.

Thanks

-DP

Stumbled across this thread yesterday and found it interesting as I've wanted to build out a simulator/launch monitor for practice(and fun) for some time but wasn't going to spend 10k+.

Some questions if you will as I may purchase a similar setup this week:

- I have a large basement(10 ft ceilings, 30 feet of space each way). Would someone still recommend the The SkyTrack or something else? Would be nice to also measure swing speed and understand how it's accelerating, swing path, etc...

-Does anyone have camera's they use with the setup, or something like SkyPro(seems this may measure speed/path, etc.

Also, it sounds like it's a no brainer to go with the CCE mat.

Thanks

-DP

Right now the other option which is going to cost a bit more is the es16. But it doesn't have full functionality yet and they are saying it will measure club path ect.. I have skytrak and I don't see a need for anything else. I find it very accurate and easy to use. I don't really care about measuring my clubhead because I know what it is doing based on the flight.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an issue for some time where I 'release' the clubhead too early. I assume I'm decelerating when I get to the ball resulting in lost yardage. Guessing the SkyPro would help identify when my decal starts.

I don't think Skypro or Skytrak will give you a club acceleration profile. To get that you will need a much more expensive setup. Some choices:

Foresight GC2 with HMT ~ $12,000

Trackman ~ $20,000

Ernest Sports ES16 when released for about $6,000

Flightscope Xi+ ~ $5,000

If you don't need clubhead acceleration or path, face angle etc. You could get a Skytrak for $2000 of a Flightscope Xi for $2500.

Skypro does

It will provide a number of outputs like plane, Clubhead impact speed, tempo etc. It won't provide club acceleration profile or face angle at impact.

I think Optishot will also provide those for what it's worth. Not sure on accuracy levels though.

Look here at Sky Pro web site.

It gives a club head acceleration profile through the entire swing.

You can see if you've peaked to early etc.

http://www.golfskypro.com/checkpoints/speed-parameters/clubheadspeed

Do any of you guys use the SkyTrak, CCE mat and net for outdoor use? I was planning on getting a CCE mat and net for use in the back yard, then i someone in another thread recommended me checking out this topic. Now i'm on full out SkyTrak purchase mode, but am wondering where i can put everything since i don't think my garage is a feasible option.

I do have an attic that has spray foam, so i may be able to use that, but i think i would need to put down more plywood to reinforce the area i hit from. I also don't know how loud it would be and if it would bother my family while they're sleeping, since that would be the time i would likely use it the most.

You need a very stable base for the CCE mat. The one thing you don't want to have happen is for the mat to slide. It totally screws up the readings. I have used my SkyTrak outside because I have a NetTeturn and it's super portable and I use iPad 12.9 pro most of the time. It just had to be on a hard surface as it the mat won't work placing it on top of a typical lawn.

As far as the sound, the NetReturn makes zero noise. I can bang balls in the garage at 11pm at night and it doesn't wake up the family on the second floor.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

I'll share a pic of my setup in the garage.

Using a gc2 and the TV is running either FSX, or PerfectGolf (depending on what I'm doing).

For me, portability was key. The net slides back against the far wall, I just roll up the mat, and then move the TV/stand over on to the other side. Takes 2 minutes.

SICK SETUP. So jealous. Just got a major golf boner.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

Does anyone know If the skytrak is only able to be used if you're connected to a wifi network or can you use cellular data?

My neighborhood is getting High Speed Internet at some point early next year (FINALLY), so i'd like to get this now. However, if i can't use it until i have internet, then i'd be better off just getting a CCE mat and hitting net in the interim.

Any input on whether either of these projectors would be suitable (especially for laying down infront of the simulator)?

I know a short-throw projector is recommended. While neither of these are labeled short-throw, their specs say they're capable of 3 feet.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-EX5210.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_1720.htm

You have any interest in getting The Golf Club software to use with this? I guess you would need to add a PC, but that game/software allows you to play a ton of pga tour courses that people have recreated as well as a ton of others. I'm in the process of a similar setup to you this fall winter! But the golf club software is a must!!!!!!!

You have any interest in getting The Golf Club software to use with this? I guess you would need to add a PC, but that game/software allows you to play a ton of pga tour courses that people have recreated as well as a ton of others. I'm in the process of a similar setup to you this fall winter! But the golf club software is a must!!!!!!!

I'd like to get that, but then you're talking about a ton more $$ for a gaming computer, projector and TGC Software. I think i'll likely just do the SkyTrak, purcahse an iPad pro and use my preexisting Apple TV with a 50" flat screen in my garage. That will allow me to use the range feature, play WGT online and view it on the 50" TV. That's really all i need. The rest would just be overkill IMO the more i think about it.

Took a lot of cues from this forum and set up my own little slice of heaven:

The only thing I didn't see answered was how you cooled off your garage. Would love some insight here as I'm running a dehumidifier now (in Palm Beach) and it seems to work just ok. Planning on getting more foam for the landing area and adding carpet to cover it. All in it ran me ~$2200.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Got mine going this weekend as well! Palm Beach, I can't even imagine, was hot enough in Massachusetts!

Running Optishot with their Dancin Dogg mat and an Asus 800x600 DLP projector. I'm borrowing it from a friend until I pick up my own, but he only paid $150 for it on Black Friday. Turns out if you're on a budget, you don't need an expensive projector! It's not even "short throw" per-say, though ProjectorCentral lists it at 2-3 feet starting throw distance.

e9b1396f910e559a5e63a80ea08860f7.jpg

I've played with the large tv off to the side, once you get a projector and screen, you quickly realize, it's way way better. Not overkill. But yes the cost for a gaming computer and TGC is expensive, but easily the best money i've ever spent on anything golf related.

I'd like to get that, but then you're talking about a ton more $$ for a gaming computer, projector and TGC Software. I think i'll likely just do the SkyTrak, purcahse an iPad pro and use my preexisting Apple TV with a 50" flat screen in my garage. That will allow me to use the range feature, play WGT online and view it on the 50" TV. That's really all i need. The rest would just be overkill IMO the more i think about it.

For my garage, I'm currently using a window AC unit, but i plan on upgrading to a climateright DIY minisplit AC/heat system. 900 delivered.

The only thing I didn't see answered was how you cooled off your garage. Would love some insight here as I'm running a dehumidifier now (in Palm Beach) and it seems to work just ok. Planning on getting more foam for the landing area and adding carpet to cover it. All in it ran me ~$2200.

@wbond Unfortunately I don't have a window. I cut some of the padding on the corner of the garage door so I have a vent to the outside and that's where the dehumidifier runs. Maybe I'm at my max unless I want to do some construction..

Taylormade Qi10 LS 10.5*    (Diamana WB 63X)

Titleist TSR2+ 13*                 (Diamana ZF 70TX)

Titleist TSR3 18*                   (Diamana D+ Ltd 80TX)

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5i                 (MODUS 105X)

Srixon ZX7 MkII 6-PW           (MODUS 105X)

Taylormade MG4 48*, 52*    (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG4 TW 56*     (DG TI S400)

Taylormade MG3 TW 60*     (DG TI S400)

LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick (TPT Putter)

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

For my garage, I'm currently using a window AC unit, but i plan on upgrading to a climateright DIY minisplit AC/heat system. 900 delivered.

Hmm not bad at all. I was thinking of getting a whole house fan for the garage (its detached, ~650 sq ft) but this looks like its in a similar price range.

Check out this link, this looks quite easy to do and at a "relatively" reasonable cost.

http://www.climaterightair.com/climateright-cr12000sach-ductless-mini-split-12-000-btu-air-conditioner-with-heat-pump.html

@wbond Unfortunately I don't have a window. I cut some of the padding on the corner of the garage door so I have a vent to the outside and that's where the dehumidifier runs. Maybe I'm at my max unless I want to do some construction..

• 2 weeks later...