$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

TGC is one of the sim software options. To run it, it really does require an internet connection to get the most out of it. If not, you only have access to a limited number of courses. With internet, you have pretty much unlimited courses as well as a tour you can play on. You will need a very good pc to run TGC. I have TGC and it's awesome.

What is TGC on skytrak? Does skytrak require an internet connection? Going to use with a PC. Thanks

Thanks for the info.

Does skytrak itself require internet if you arent running simulation? Im mostly interested in the range and game improvement package for now.

There are two waves to connect to SkyTrak. For TGC (or likewise) simulation you have to be connected to an outside (home). If you don't want data saved them you don't have to have any connection but the Skytrak and your device (like at the driving range).

Just so everyone knows, if you're planning on banging balls on a grass range with irons, SkyTrak isn't the product for you (at least IMO). The dirt/grass/debris from the strike gets in the way of the ball readings. For driver, it is a non issue, on grass.

Thanks. I am setting this up in my house but I have limited internet access. Skytrak website was unclear on whether it had to have internet access for basic use.

I don't use internet much with mine. Just connect to the skytrak unit which has it's own outgoing signal and then hit balls.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading some other forums about impact screens, I have come to the conclusion that Dornstars ikea blanket might have been genius. Many people out there are spending hundreds on an impact screen only to have holes in it within a year.

I found this on ikea.com wondering if it is close to what Dorn used.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/10162638/

Or

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/70191770/

Another idea would be a white painters tarp backed up with some netting or heavy blanket.

I dont need great graphics just going to be using the practice range on skytrak. Cant imagine buying a new screen every year for hundreds of $. But if you have the money and you want the image quality I see your point.

That being said, are there any cheap hdmi projectors that will work for this? I see the one dorn used is 300 on amazon. I am thinking of something a little cheaper. I want to hang it from the ceiling about 12-15 from the screen.

I dont need great graphics just going to be using the practice range on skytrak. Cant imagine buying a new screen every year for hundreds of $. But if you have the money and you want the image quality I see your point.

That being said, are there any cheap hdmi projectors that will work for this? I see the one dorn used is 300 on amazon. I am thinking of something a little cheaper. I want to hang it from the ceiling about 12-15 from the screen.

My impact screen lasted 5 years with likely more use than anyone would ever use at home. And the only damage that occurred was a small split at the seam. A seamless one would have lasted even longer

You can get a good screen for less than $250 that will last you many years. Hell, I used a $30 Ikea quilt and it worked great for a year. Image quality was surprisingly good and I decided to just stick with it until it crapped out which it's finally starting to do.

411657390.jpg

As far as projectors, at that price range you won't be able to get a short throw projector, so you'll need to check the specs of any that you're looking at. At 12 feet, my projector will do an 80" image. At 15 foot, it'll go up to 120" which is essentially the size I'm running it at. Without a short throw, you'll probably have a shadow of your body. Mine's only a small shadow on the bottom left of the screen which isn't a big deal.

The biggest issue is "keystoning". As you move your projector away from dead center from the screen, the image gets distorted. You need keystoning to fix it. Most low end projectors will only do vertical keystoning meaning it needs to be in the middle of the screen, but it can be higher or lower of center.

After reading some other forums about impact screens, I have come to the conclusion that Dornstars ikea blanket might have been genius. Many people out there are spending hundreds on an impact screen only to have holes in it within a year.

http://m.ikea.com/us...s/art/10162638/

Or

http://m.ikea.com/us...s/art/70191770/

Another idea would be a white painters tarp backed up with some netting or heavy blanket.

The top one is 100% the one I used, but I must have got it on sale because it was like $29 or $39.

You can see some of the texture on the quilt, but it's really not all that noticeable. I'm in a garage IN FLORIDA, so it's not like I'm going for image quality so I can sit out here watching TV on it. I just needed something serviceable and it worked like a charm. Also, most of the impact screens out there have holes in them since they're basically tightly woven nets and have issues with light bleeding through reducing the image quality. That's not an issue with the quilt.

As far as a painters tarp, I had trouble finding a white cloth one that was thick enough to use. They were all more or less an off white or canvas color that didn't look good.

You can get a good screen for less than $250 that will last you many years. Hell, I used a $30 Ikea quilt and it worked great for a year. Image quality was surprisingly good and I decided to just stick with it until it crapped out which it's finally starting to do.

411657390.jpg

As far as projectors, at that price range you won't be able to get a short throw projector, so you'll need to check the specs of any that you're looking at. At 12 feet, my projector will do an 80" image. At 15 foot, it'll go up to 120" which is essentially the size I'm running it at. Without a short throw, you'll probably have a shadow of your body. Mine's only a small shadow on the bottom left of the screen which isn't a big deal.

The biggest issue is "keystoning". As you move your projector away from dead center from the screen, the image gets distorted. You need keystoning to fix it. Most low end projectors will only do vertical keystoning meaning it needs to be in the middle of the screen, but it can be higher or lower of center.

Thanks dorn. I see you dont have anything protecting your ceiling above your screen, so I assume you must be standing rather close so your wedge shots dont hit the ceiling. How far back from the screen do you stand?

• 4 weeks later...

So im considering pulling the trigger on the skytrak. My mat and net are set up. The 300 dollar off deal ends tomorrow January 2nd. Although rock bottom carries it for $1695, not sure if thats their regular price.

I have read a few reviews stating that skytrak doesnt want to stay connected to a pc with a usb wired connection. Can anyone confirm or deny this issue?

Is the protective case a necessity? 130 bucks is pretty steep. Is the extended warranty suggested? Has anyone had to use the warranty?

Thanks!

So im considering pulling the trigger on the skytrak. My mat and net are set up. The 300 dollar off deal ends tomorrow January 2nd. Although rock bottom carries it for $1695, not sure if thats their regular price.

I have read a few reviews stating that skytrak doesnt want to stay connected to a pc with a usb wired connection. Can anyone confirm or deny this issue?

Is the protective case a necessity? 130 bucks is pretty steep. Is the extended warranty suggested? Has anyone had to use the warranty?

Thanks!

I pulled the trigger last week and got skytrak. If you get it from playbetter website they do not charge tax or shipping. After my purchase, I found out that rock bottom has the same deal and you can actually use their code PayPal to save another 10%.

Don't get the protective case because if you hit the case and break the unit, it's not covered. I found a guy on the forum who made the metal protective case and it's much better than this $129 plastic crap.

I planned to build a simulator some time this year after reading this thread, and skytrak holiday sale made me to build it a lot sooner than I planned. In the end, I saved $600 from my original budget by building my simulator early.

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/10162638/

Or

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/70191770/

Just make sure your golf balls do not have cuts in them. That is what shreds impact screens.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Just reiterating greasegun's question because I'm looking to put a skytrak in my study and space is a little cramped....how far from ball to screen on your setup Dornstar? Looks like 7-8 feet??

Mine is 7.5 feet from the screen with 2 feet behind the screen/net/theater curtain. Just make sure you don't have too much ball bounce back with short irons before you let the big dog eat.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Thanks!

I pulled the trigger last week and got skytrak. If you get it from playbetter website they do not charge tax or shipping. After my purchase, I found out that rock bottom has the same deal and you can actually use their code PayPal to save another 10%.

Don't get the protective case because if you hit the case and break the unit, it's not covered. I found a guy on the forum who made the metal protective case and it's much better than this $129 plastic crap.

I planned to build a simulator some time this year after reading this thread, and skytrak holiday sale made me to build it a lot sooner than I planned. In the end, I saved $600 from my original budget by building my simulator early.

Can you provide a link for the homeade protection case?

Thanks!

http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/skytrak/90780-skytrack-full-metal-jacket-protection-shield

I bought one of his beta run units ($95), it's great.

Thanks!

http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/skytrak/90780-skytrack-full-metal-jacket-protection-shield

Have you tried it out? Looks pretty legit. Thanks!

Thanks!

http://golfsimulator...otection-shield

Have you tried it out? Looks pretty legit. Thanks!

Plenty of folks, including me, have bought and tried it out and left a review in that thread. It's legit. The first run units had some screw holes slightly misaligned, but it's no big deal as the screws aren't really needed.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! Just picked up a ST on rockbottom for 1525 shipped. So with my real feel cce mat and net my setup will be under 2k for now. Just going to use a TV connected to my laptop. Will build a projector setup some day.

Just finished reading through every post of this thread; cheers Dornstar for getting it started.

I recently moved into a new house with a third garage spot and am taking a lot of the ideas from this thread - can't wait to get my space set up. My takeaway regarding the mat is that the CCE is the way to go; anyone have a recommendation for the best deal on a 5x5?

I have 6x10 from amazon for 240.

Nike [color=#0000CD] Vapor Fly Pro Limited [/color]driver 9.5* Whiteboard 70g X-stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Flex [/color]3 wood 15* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor[/color] [color=#99FF00]Flex [/color]5 wood 19* Whiteboard 80g Stiff
Nike [color=#99FF00]Vapor Pro[/color] 3-PW S300 / Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW X-100 
Nike Engage wedge 52* Square
Nike Engage wedge 58* Toesweep
Nike [color=#0000CD]Origin B1-01 [/color][color=#000000]35"[/color] Putter with TW Proto Grip
Nike 2016 Platinum Cart Bag
IG airbong23

Just finished reading through every post of this thread; cheers Dornstar for getting it started.

I recently moved into a new house with a third garage spot and am taking a lot of the ideas from this thread - can't wait to get my space set up. My takeaway regarding the mat is that the CCE is the way to go; anyone have a recommendation for the best deal on a 5x5?

Make sure you buy your CCE mat from a reliable source. There are imposters out there. I found one on Ebay advertised for a lower price, only to find it wasnt the real thing. Luckily I was able to return it. I then purchased the CCE mat directly from Realfeelgolfmats.com.

Make sure you buy your CCE mat from a reliable source. There are imposters out there. I found one on Ebay advertised for a lower price, only to find it wasnt the real thing. Luckily I was able to return it. I then purchased the CCE mat directly from Realfeelgolfmats.com.

Do you mind pointing to the fake CCE listing on Ebay ?