2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

$2600 garage simulator build (and updates on using it for my game)

dornstar

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1444273254' post='12425852']Dornstar, I love everything about this project. Thanks for sharing.[/quote]

Seriously this is the first year since I joined here that I am looking forward to winter.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

I did a few upgrades today.... added carpet and painted. Picked up some hunter green berber carpet at Lowes for around $0.60 sq/ft and then a gallon of paint. Came out to around $120, but was well worth it. The carpet seems to have dampened the sound signficantly and now it just feels like a golf simulator room rather than a garage. I'll get some pics up later.

Thanks to dornstar, I am drawing up plans to finish my basement and include a theater/golf sim living room. Trouble is, I've only got 8 foot ceilings down there, and will need to dig down a couple feet. I'm thinking it will be a sunken living room... :)

SLDR 9.5 w/ Speeder 757
Titleist 904f 4W w/ S300
Ping G20 17* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 85 2.0
Ping S56 5-9 w/ KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey 46, 52, 56 & 60
Ping WACK-E putter

I appreciate all the kind words and hopefully I didn't get some of you into too much trouble. Like they say, "It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission." LOL.

Anyways, my simulator room was complete functional, but was definitely missing a woman's touch. It literally looked like some dude put it together with Elmer's glue and scotch tape, but it worked. With my wife's family who are avid golfers coming into town next week, we decided to make it look legit.

First things first, we had to pop the hood and basically reorganize everything to make the other 1/3 of the garage that we use for storage and bikes more functional. That was a pain in the butt, but we figured it out and tossed what wasn't needed. Still love that I can raise and lower the screen.

411726560.jpg

Then we tested out the carpet to make sure it fit alright which it did. We went with a hunter green berber from Lowes at $0.68 per sq/ft. Initially there was a little more bounce than I wanted so, we put a small thin rug under the landing area where the balls fall to the ground and it worked wonderfully. You can't even tell it's there.

411726561.jpg

And then it was on to painting the whole garage (color is high speed steel) which sucked since the walls were never painted and just soaked up the paint. Nice being able to watch ESPN on the projector while doing some work.

411726559.jpg

Anyways, here she is... and she is looking beautiful. Only one more purchase to make which is the impact screen and I'll probably get that next month. Total costs with that purchase will be almost exactly $3000.

411726481.jpg

There's usually a barrier I built that covers the hot water tank, but I didn't get a chance to put it back up.

411726485.jpg

Oh, another positive is that the carpet and paint made it quieter in here when I hit balls which everyone in the family appreciates.

[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1444357190' post='12430836']
Derivative and naïve. I'd post more but the cross site scripting problems with WRX makes it dangerous.
[/quote]

Was that directed at me? Please elaborate.

...dorn, the upgrades look great!

SLDR 9.5 w/ Speeder 757
Titleist 904f 4W w/ S300
Ping G20 17* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 85 2.0
Ping S56 5-9 w/ KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey 46, 52, 56 & 60
Ping WACK-E putter

[quote name='jimmythanut' timestamp='1444361316' post='12431124']
How cold does it get in your garage? I'm concerned about the low temps of the Midwest winters around here.
[/quote]
Living in Tampa, not cold, but it got hot as hell and we had to take steps to cool it. I'm sure you would have to take measures as well for the cold like insulating the garage doors which can be done for around $100. That makes a big difference. From there, you would need some sort of heater.

I live in Rochester, NY and have an infrared commercial heater that I hung from the ceiling and ran a gas line to, in my flightscope/simulator setup in my garage.

During the winter months I set the thermostat to 60* or so, and can hit balls in a T-shirt and shorts.

If you DIY, everything costs way less than paying someone.

I noticed that you do not use nets on the side, do you not fear the possibility of a sh*nk or mishit?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

[quote name='rhino305' timestamp='1444408755' post='12433400']
Dorn, do you secure your mat to the floor? I purchased the same mat as you and it twists around a bit after several hard swings.
[/quote]
Yep. Buy some industrial Velcro from Lowes. I think it cost around $8 for 4 foot of it and that puppy won't budge.

With the carpet in there now, the part of the Velcro that was stuck to the mat gives it enough grip to the carpet that it doesn't slide either.

[quote name='Gamble Gamble' timestamp='1444409725' post='12433486']
I noticed that you do not use nets on the side, do you not fear the possibility of a sh*nk or mishit?
[/quote]
On the left hand side, normally there's an angled net where the water heater is to protect it. I just hadn't put it back up prior to taking the pics.

On the right hand side, we made a long curtain which you can see in the pics that sections off the simulator half of the garage from the usable side where we store the bikes and it would (has) catch any shanked balls. As big as this screen is and the distance I am from it, it takes a really horrific shot to miss the screen.

[quote name='goatbarn' timestamp='1444391260' post='12432060']
I live in Rochester, NY and have an infrared commercial heater that I hung from the ceiling and ran a gas line to, in my flightscope/simulator setup in my garage.

During the winter months I set the thermostat to 60* or so, and can hit balls in a T-shirt and shorts.

[/quote]Whoa can I reserve range time?

I put a ton of money into insulation ( both for heat & sound ) I've been ripping driver while the baby sleeps ! My sim room lacks a lady's touch ... But I did partially sell it to the ball a& chain as a "home theater / sim " and I carpeted the walls "so the baby can be a 3 year old and won't leave marks " not that my occasional shank and wanting the crispest picture had anything to do with it. I'm in the complete dog house......it's bad. BUT WELL WORTH IT ! forgiveness forsmiveness

[quote name='Sabre3' timestamp='1444418178' post='12434130']
[quote name='goatbarn' timestamp='1444391260' post='12432060']

[/quote]Whoa can I reserve range time?
[/quote]

Range is always open, and unfortunately almost always empty. My 14 month old is to blame. You'd think one could make enough time just to hit balls in the garage. But it's still tough.

[quote name='Gainzini' timestamp='1444440528' post='12435858']
I put a ton of money into insulation ( both for heat & sound ) I've been ripping driver while the baby sleeps ! My sim room lacks a lady's touch ... But I did partially sell it to the ball a& chain as a "home theater / sim " and I carpeted the walls "so the baby can be a 3 year old and won't leave marks " not that my occasional shank and wanting the crispest picture had anything to do with it. I'm in the complete dog house......it's bad. BUT WELL WORTH IT ! forgiveness forsmiveness
[/quote]

What did you use for sound insulation?

Callaway Epic subzero 
Srixon u85 18 degree 
Srixon 975/z-forged
Cleveland RTX 4
Taylormade spider
Srixon XV

I'm having a bit of trouble with the skytrak and yardages. It seems ok on 54* wedge. However the other clubs seems to be under reporting distance. Carry only I am not worried about total. 7 iron seemed about 20 yards short. I am not over estimating my length either. 150-160 normal 7 iron not even close on skytrak. Not sure if it is not level enough or that the demo machine might have some issues. Any leveling or set up suggestions please anyone chime in. I have surfed golfsimulator.com as sell.

thanks for the thread dornstar

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

[quote name='Rocuronium' timestamp='1444496828' post='12438048'][quote name='Gainzini' timestamp='1444440528' post='12435858']
[/quote]

What did you use for sound insulation?[/quote]

More tubes of GREEN GLUE then I'd like to admit, followed by R-19, 2 layers of 3/4" rock, and all walls & all angles of ceiling are carpeted, 0 voids ! I can light an M-80 in sim room and nobody will hear it.

This is one of the best threads I have found on this forum. Thanks so much for all the time spent posting your progress. I used to just hit into a net and judge the feel of impact. I would tune up at the range. It did help a bit but I can't imagine the progress someone could make with a setup like yours. Thanks again!

[quote name='reider69' timestamp='1444511732' post='12438866']
Dornstar, I notice you put an additional piece of turf next to mat for skytrak to sit on and make it level. Where did you get a small piece that is exactly level to the monster mat? I also ordered a monster mat.
[/quote]
It's actually a CC Elite strip that I've had for some time that I never really used. I figured I would just put the SkyTrak on it rather than on the mat I'm standing. Not really a purpose to it. I just like having full use of my mat.