2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Jgb333

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1450878789' post='12755290']
MacGregor or Hogan persimmons, although the MacGregors should probably be from the mid-60's back to the mid-40's vintage, if you want to have a bag which may have been on tour in '72, as very few of the tour stars would've been using current persimmon woods. That being said, I have several Hogan persimmons from the general time frame of 1972 and they are all very solid clubs. As far as putters go, the Anser you would want to be period correct would be an 020 as this is the last three digits of the ZIP code for The Karsten Mfg. Co. from 1968 - 1973. The 8802 would be a good choice also, just remember the most coveted year for these is 1964 IIRC due to metallurgy of the putter head. Also remember putters were much, much, lighter than they are now so some adjustment may be needed to reach an acceptable feel.
[/quote]UHH HUH I see someone else knows about the 64-65 8802s. I had heard that back in the 70s from some of the old hustlers. I have talked to a lot of Wilson collectors and former employees over the years (my Dad was a Wilson Staffer briefly) and no one can really confirm or deny it. I do know my Dad had an accident involving his Billy Casper mallett head putter and lost the head. He went through maybe 25 of them in the next few years never could find one that felt like his. the closest thing was a Golfcraft mallett he found one day in the woods behind our 3 rd hole. He swore to his dying day that the Golfcraft was ok but it did not feel like the Casper. Through him and a friend of his is how I heard about the 8802s and that was in the late 60s early 70s

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1450987735' post='12759890']
MacGregor or Hogan persimmons, although the MacGregors should probably be from the mid-60's back to the mid-40's vintage, if you want to have a bag which may have been on tour in '72, as very few of the tour stars would've been using current persimmon woods. That being said, I have several Hogan persimmons from the general time frame of 1972 and they are all very solid clubs. As far as putters go, the Anser you would want to be period correct would be an 020 as this is the last three digits of the ZIP code for The Karsten Mfg. Co. from 1968 - 1973. The 8802 would be a good choice also, just remember the most coveted year for these is 1964 IIRC due to metallurgy of the putter head. Also remember putters were much, much, lighter than they are now so some adjustment may be needed to reach an acceptable feel.
[/quote]UHH HUH I see someone else knows about the 64-65 8802s. I had heard that back in the 70s from some of the old hustlers. I have talked to a lot of Wilson collectors and former employees over the years (my Dad was a Wilson Staffer briefly) and no one can really confirm or deny it. I do know my Dad had an accident involving his Billy Casper mallett head putter and lost the head. He went through maybe 25 of them in the next few years never could find one that felt like his. the closest thing was a Golfcraft mallett he found one day in the woods behind our 3 rd hole. He swore to his dying day that the Golfcraft was ok but it did not feel like the Casper. Through him and a friend of his is how I heard about the 8802s and that was in the late 60s early 70s
[/quote]

My understanding is Wilson purchased surplus steel from the government, this lot contained a large amount of steel used for armor by the military and when smelted and forged into putters turned out some of the finest feeling blade putters ever made. Since the exact composition of the metal could never be ascertained, much less replicated, those years are the only ones with the feel which is so coveted now.

[quote name=''53 Precision' timestamp='1450989408' post='12760000']
[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1450987735' post='12759890']
[/quote]

My understanding is Wilson purchased surplus steel from the government, this lot contained a large amount of steel used for armor by the military and when smelted and forged into putters turned out some of the finest feeling blade putters ever made. [b][i]Since the exact composition of the metal could never be ascertained, much less replicated, [/i][/b]those years are the only ones with the feel which is so coveted now.
[/quote]

'53-

+1

Robert Mendralla of Wilson publicly admitted this when Wilson Staff came out with an 8802 with his name.

Didn't Ben Crenshaw say he has 20-25 putters of this style, and a recent photo of his bag showed he was using two of them?

Well my Hagen's arrived today!
They are in crazy good shape, no chrome degradation and very deep grooves.

I still need to get my hands on a persimmon set that would have been bagged in 1972.
1950's persimmon is great but the Mac's are out of my price range. Any other suggestions for good 1950's persimmon that's affordable ?

Driver: Cobra King F8 Nardo 
5w: Cobra King F8 5-6 Nardo
Hybrid: Cobra King F7 4-5
Irons: Ping G 6-UW

Wedge: TaylorMade milled grind 56
Putter: Cleveland Classic #7

Very nice irons JG, classy. What's your budget for persimmon? How many and what configuration of woods? Looking to match the woods to your irons brand? Hagens show up on the Bay periodically at good prices. Maybe something like these Spauldings from that timeframe (someone will correct me if not):

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-REFINISHED-Spalding-Persimmon-Golf-Club-Wood-Set-1-2-1-2-3-1-2-/281893784044?hash=item41a22dc9ec:g:264AAOSw5VFWLTYS"]http://www.ebay.com/...64AAOSw5VFWLTYS[/url]

Macs from the 60's can be a good value as most seem to be interested in the earlier ones. May take some experimentation to find a set of persimmons that you find suitable.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I'd like to stay under $80 for a set...I really want some of that "old" persimmon everyone talks about... Pre 1963 maybe.
I would prefer non-refinished...not very interested in a driver... More like a 2,3,5
They don't have to match my irons since that doesn't really seem to be the trend back then

I know I mentioned MacGregor earlier, but it might be worth checking out Powerbilt (aka Hillerich & Bradsby) options. They're almost something of a hidden secret. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1451337774' post='12772768']
I know I mentioned MacGregor earlier, but it might be worth checking out Powerbilt (aka Hillerich & Bradsby) options. They're almost something of a hidden secret. ;)
[/quote]

Like these?
I was told 1948[attachment=3080164:image.jpg]

I admit I was thinking a couple decades more recent, but if they're in good shape, no reason not to. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors