Philmont Country Club (Philadelphia Area)

free1981

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i managed to play there last April, but it had took a beating from the mmiserable March we had. played 8 holes on the North course, and 8 on the south.

North course was gorgeous. Beautiful Layout from the holes we managed to play. Rough was extremely thick. It's worth checking out, im sure' they'll give you a tour. Practice area was ok. Range was downhill. ok chipping & short game area.

It is a historically Jewish club that has diversified in recent years from what I understand, and is looking for members. I played the North course last summer. Course has a solid layout and was in great condition but is EXTREMELY over-treed. Holes like #9, you go 5 feet off the fairway and you are literally in the forest. If you tend to spray the ball left and right, you are going to be posting some high numbers. Still, if it is close to home for you and has the family activities to help sell your spouse on it, I'd say give it a try, especially if it is one of those "trial" membership deals.

That was my home course when I played in college and always preferred the North to the South. The course was always in great shape up until a few years ago when I last played it. Can't really say anything about the membership since I always played there in tournaments or on the the college program. Agree on the tree comment as well since you need to hit it in play off the tee, not much room for error on many of the holes.

I did a review of the course as well and attached the link.

I really liked playing the North course. It held a lot of interest for me and if I lived closer, would consider joining. I found it to be a nice classically designed course that sets itself apart with its larger bunkers, sloped greens and contoured fairways, as well as some of the hole shapes, most notably the Ninth.

http://bestphillygolf.blogspot.com/2014/10/philmont-cc-north-course.html?view=magazine

• 2 weeks later...

The North Course is one of the most underrated courses in the Philadelphia area. It is a great classic Flynn design with some great holes. The finishing hole is the only disappointment on the course. It is always in great shape and is a fun course to play. The membership has really turned over in recent years so more and more people are feeling like they fit in at Philmont.

• 1 month later...

Reviving thread,.. I'd consider joining Philmont, but being in the 50+ age group makes the fees a stretch for now. I keep them on my radar though. If you're younger, there are some attractive fee structure.

But- i was playing a round with someone last year at a nearby course, and they mentioned they'd been told that Philmont was concidering selling one of its courses to a housing developer. I believe that it's an equity club and a decision like that needs a vote.

I'm curious if anyone else here has heard similar rumblings about the future of Philmont.

Reviving thread,.. I'd consider joining Philmont, but being in the 50+ age group makes the fees a stretch for now. I keep them on my radar though. If you're younger, there are some attractive fee structure.

But- i was playing a round with someone last year at a nearby course, and they mentioned they'd been told that Philmont was concidering selling one of its courses to a housing developer. I believe that it's an equity club and a decision like that needs a vote.

I'm curious if anyone else here has heard similar rumblings about the future of Philmont.

In January, 2014, Toll Brothers contracted to buy 9 holes of the South Course for a housing development. Toll Brothers cancelled the agreement in August, 2014.

In January, 2014, Toll Brothers contracted to buy 9 holes of the South Course for a housing development. Toll Brothers cancelled the agreement in August, 2014.

Isn't there a new deal in place with a new builder?

• 1 year later...

WOrst driving range balls ever

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Concert Golf owns Philmont, are the dues any different? I know that years ago they were pretty high. Wondering if Concert has lowered them to try to increase membership.

They did change up the dues (full disclosure - not a member, but looked at joining).

They only have two age categories/levels now, under-45 and over-45. Over-45 is pretty reasonable, just north of 6k mark if I recall correctly, but under-45 around 4k mark. Much better deals can be had though at other clubs if you are significantly younger than 45.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Rogue Silver 110x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 13*, Speeder 757x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 19*, Speeder 757x
Callaway Alpha 815h, 21*, Velyix Rome 988x
Apex 4-6/Apex Pro 7-PW, DGX100
Tour Grind 52/60, Odyssey Protype #3

Now that Concert Golf owns Philmont, are the dues any different? I know that years ago they were pretty high. Wondering if Concert has lowered them to try to increase membership.

They did change up the dues (full disclosure - not a member, but looked at joining).

They only have two age categories/levels now, under-45 and over-45. Over-45 is pretty reasonable, just north of 6k mark if I recall correctly, but under-45 around 4k mark. Much better deals can be had though at other clubs if you are significantly younger than 45.

Thanks. I'm at Talamore for another year but may look elsewhere for 2019. Some things are great at Talamore but others are very frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The newly redesigned 18th hole and bunker renovations on North Course are awesome and this course has been really upgraded since Concert Golf took over club operations. And may I add here that Philmont is blessed to have one of the all-time-great area Club Pros in Mickey Sokalski. I get to play Philmont once (or twice) a season as it's part of the Philly Metro GOLFWEEK Tour schedule (and they allow a participant practice round to be played prior to the Memorial Day weekend event for a very reasonable fee). You may recall that in the 90's this course hosted the (then) Nike Tour and the pros who played found it to be a great challenge - they reversed the 9's and played the Par 5 9th as the finishing hole - what a great Par 5 - doglegs right "forever".

We have some snow here again today; hope that winter will soon decide to leave us alone! Yes, the course renovations are finished, the new 18th hole is open, the bunker renovations are completed and Philmont (North) is really better than it has been in many years! I can't wait until May when we get to play practice rounds at a very reasonable price before the Memorial Day Weekend GOLFWEEK tournament there.

• 3 months later...

Any word on when the sale to ClubCorp will be final?

The acquisition of Concert Golf by ClubCorp has been cancelled:

"I am writing to tell you that after 60+ days of due diligence, meetings, and hard work, we terminated our discussions with ClubCorp yesterday," Nanula wrote. "There are always price, terms and 'softer' issues involved in these potential transactions. But the fit just wasn't right."

"I am writing to tell you that after 60+ days of due diligence, meetings, and hard work, we terminated our discussions with ClubCorp yesterday," Nanula wrote. "There are always price, terms and 'softer' issues involved in these potential transactions. But the fit just wasn't right."

That stinks.

• 2 weeks later...

That stinks.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I recently joined Philmont and was excited about the opportunity to play other Club Corp courses. However I know some members weren't excited about the sale (otherwise they would have just sold directly to Club Corp). Of course clubhouse renovations are way behind schedule (most likely due to the pending sale) and overall people aren't satisfied with how things have been managed to date.

That stinks.

I guess it depends on your point of view. I recently joined Philmont and was excited about the opportunity to play other Club Corp courses. However I know some members weren't excited about the sale (otherwise they would have just sold directly to Club Corp). Of course clubhouse renovations are way behind schedule (most likely due to the pending sale) and overall people aren't satisfied with how things have been managed to date.

I was excited for Philmont and White Manor to be added to the Club Corp access. I play at Talamore and it is a great perk getting to play the Club Corp courses, but aside from North Hills they are all pretty far away.