2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Total knee replacement

I need to get a total knee replacement.I am 58 been having issues for 4 to 5 years.I play to a 3.5.What can I expect in rehabilitation and when I return to playing. It is my left knee. I am left handed so I think it will be a little easier. Right knee should be good for a few more years.Any advice is appreciated.

Scott

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what to tell you but I will have to get both mine done sooner rather than latter. Best of luck!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

A couple of years ago a fellow at my club had his right knee replaced (right handed golfer) in mid to late October. He was back on the course the following spring and logged the first round of the season for the course on March 29. He was 78 at the time.

I can't speak to the rehab part of it, but that will give you an idea as to what the timeline might be if there are no complications.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Scott, good luck with your replacement. I am scheduled to do both of mine in a couple weeks... if I don't chicken out.

My orthopedic surgeon say 6-8 weeks of rehabilitation and then another month or two before I can start swinging on it. He says I should not have any problems playing as long as I follow the rehabilitation schedule.

My concern will be how my mechanics will change once the knees are structurally back in the proper locations. We don't realize how much our hips, ankles, feet, etc. have been compensating to protect the knees during the swing.

Best regards,

Bill

About 3 years ago I gave in and had 2 surgeons check out my knees. The first said I needed two total knee replacements. The second surgeon agreed. However, he said I was so bow legged that the outside of both knees were perfectly fine. He suggested partials on both. I was 59 at the time, in good health, handicap of 7. He felt the partials would not affect my game as much. I had them done, 5 week recovery, tough rehab but worth every minute. The key is finding a doctor skilled enough to do the partials. My understanding is they are harder to do. I am certain you are in enough pain that you will go thru with it. My knee pain before surgery was 7-8, now basically 0. My handicap has gone up a couple, two reasons I think. Three years older, and both my ankles are shot. Had my right operated early Dec. and still non weight bearing. If the ankle surgeries are as successful from a pain standpoint as the knee surgeries, then I won't worry about my golf game. At least I will be out there.

I can chime in here. I'm 56 and had bi-lateral (both) replacement in October of 2014. The first three days were pretty rough, as they had me up and moving on them the morning after surgery. I was in the hospital for four days. Then they moved me to a in patient rehab facility that was connected to the hospital. I was there for 7 days

I had an hour to hour and half rehab three times a day. Here's my timeline

Walking with a walker by the time I left the hospital. The second day at the rehab they had moved me to crutches. By the third day I was using a cane

So I week out from surgery. I'm walking with a cane and pain free.

Worked at home beginning on Day 14

Started back to work in the office day 17 and went in for two week check up and to have the stitches removed. I walked in without the cane. . The Dr was surprised but not shocked. He had recieved reports from the PT, that I was the most motivated and hard working patient they had seen in a long time.

I graduated PT on Dec 31 last year. 10 weeks followong the surgery.

My final exam was taking 5 full speed swings with a golf club and maintaining my balance.

I continue rehab at home and took a speed stick down to our fitness room 5 days a week for some full speed and some slow speed swings.

I played my first round on April 5, but it took that long due to weather. I could have played it a month or two earlier in all actuality.

To touch on a couple things LebanonTN golfer said. The fact I was playing pain free was incredible. I could play 18 holes amd not one ounce of pain. Prior to surgery I could barely make it throgh 12 holes the pain was so bad. I couldn't walk into bikers or down slopes. It was so painful. All of that GONE!'

Like a couple others said. My scores were actually worst most of this year. My lower body was able to move in ways it hasn't in years and the rest of my body had trouble synching up. By the end of the year, I was playing much better and still pain free.

2016 will allow me the opportunity to play and practice more, and thankfully my knees will allow it.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I had my left hip replaced 18 months ago and hip is now great no pain and can move around so much better ( i am only 25 ) The surgeon damaged a nerve during sergery and now i have been left with something called foot drop and no feeling in my left foot.

Work hard in physio and you will be fine , first few weeks will be torture after a month things will change and once your pain free itll be the best thing you have done. Just be prepared to struggle the first few weeks for my self it was a lot harder then i first expected and i was so lucky to have a great partner and family around to help me out.

My grandad had his knee replaced a few years ago now and things are fine , he struggled for the first few weeks and he couldnt get around/drive etc and was also in a lot of pain. He worked hard at physio and was soon back to normal he was 81 years old. He is now pain free and hits golf balls no problem.

Best of luck and i hope everything runs super smooth for you :)

I'm 62 and had my left knee done two years ago in January and my right one done last January, both were TKR. Going back about three years I had the "lube" shots in both knees and it helped a great deal for about 5 months but as time progressed, my surgeon and I didn't communicate well. I did some research and went to a very well thought of surgeon...........best move I ever made.

Both surgeries went well and despite all the horror stories I read......the rehab was easy. There is quite a bit of pain the first couple days but I only spent two nights in the hospital both times and was walking with a cane by the time I went home. Hardest part was getting off the pain pills, rehab therapist wants you on them so they can push you. I'm allergic to Hydrocodone and had to take Oxycodone..........it works but it's a very addictive narcotic. It wasn't fun getting off it.

Knees are pain free although I still get some swelling. They are not quite as good as original equipment but I'd never hesitate to get it done.........quality of life is MUCH better.

Both of mine were done in early January and I was playing by late March............although I think it takes a lot longer to be 100%

Good Stuff Night Train. I agree about getting back to 100% it took me maybe a year (having had both done at the same time) but the only pain I felt was the rehab pain. No lingering pain at all.

My biggest fear has always been (besides not waking up) the pain meds. I have avoided drugs my whole life and feared getting addicted. So I rarely took them, althoug like you said the PT encourages it, but I have a very high tolerance to pain and preferred to take something very mild.

Getting the right surgeon is key. I went to a very highly rated one at one of the best hospitals in the state, and didn't like his personality at all. I did some more research and found a guy that was worth at least meeting with. He was a retired Army surgeon and has been in public practice for about 5 years now and is an avid golfer, so he knew what I wanted to accomplish and his personality was so positive and so encouraging that I was going to do great, I went with him and it's the best decision I made.

Vokey

• 1 month later...

I can't emphasize enough how important I feel it is to find the right surgeon. Many are skilled, but some are quite arrogant and not all that interested in really talking with you. Talk to people, research on the internet.........you'll know when you feel comfortable talking with the right one.

This is so true. The first one I went to was one of the highest rated at the best hospital in the area. Calling him Arrogant would be too kind. pretty much knocked him off the list right away.

Did some more homework and found the one that ended up doing the surgery, and I've told many people. He's the best Dr. of any type I've been to. I wished he was a General Practitioner...Ha

Vokey

• 2 weeks later...

I've worked on an Ortho/Neuro floor of a hospital for many years (pharmacist on the floor) and have seen many success stories. I've also had a good friend's father go through getting both knees replaced within a year to still make the annual buddy trip to myrtle beach- he did great. Having the right surgeon (maybe one who's a golfer too, just he/she knows some specific goals you may have) and really working hard at PT like others have said are the keys. The meds can be kind of tricky to deal with, but they are doing many creative things now a days utilizing multiple pain medications (many non-opiate/non-addictive meds) to help target many types of pain and minimize narcotic use. Best of luck!

Modern bag:
Nike vr str8 fit tour set at 11
Ping rapture v2 4 wood
Nike vr_s 3 and 4 hybrids
Maltby mmb 5-pw
Carnahan 52/56/60 wedge
Rotating door of putters

Sunday/quick nine walker:
Callaway warbird deuce 2 wd
Callaway warbird 4 wd
Hogan apex pro 4-E
Ping eye 2 W and S
Ping cushin putter

Classic bag:
Palmer Chattanooga driver
Hogan Slotline 4 wd
Palmer Standard 85 3-pw
Same ping eye 2 sw
Wilson professional 600 putter

• 4 months later...

Update. I had to postpone surgery. Bought a house could not be on disability during escrow. Did have surgery yesterday. Have some pain did walk last night with walker. Will update post.

Good luck with the Rehab. You will notice almost right away, the pain is a different pain. And one that will subside over the first couple weeks.

Vokey

• 5 months later...