2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

Sixty, get well soon!

Fella, and Big Stu, nice finds and trades!

Thug, nice shooting!

Pigems, You're right that the index is the average (times the reducer of .96) of the lowest 10 of 20, but you can establish with as low as 10 because it would be 10 of 10.

I don't frequent our Goldwill often enough. My mom is actually very into going to rummage sales and I told her the other day to buy any club with a hickory shaft for under $15 and any other clubs if the set was complete and it was less than $25 or individual irons for $2 or less. She knows nothing about golf clubs and doesn't want to learn so it's hard to make fast rules. Any putter less than $5.

Anybody ever noticed this guy sells hickory replacement shafts for $20 a shaft.

http://thehickorygol...com/?page_id=87

What are the chances I'd ever find a set of lefty heads? 1 in 1,000,000? DeNinja is that 1.0 x 10^6?

Get her to do what my wife does when thrifting take pics and send to you. My wife knows some and will buy without asking if she is in doubt she will send me a pic with a text detail. Man technology is great!

Tried this with the Mrs. briefly. Gave her a crash course on what to look for with pricing guidelines. She's an avid golfer so she knows the difference between a driver and a putter. Came home once with a godawful collection of "cheap" putters. Like six Putt-Putt ones. I thanked her, ponied up the acquisition expense, plus a small finders fee, and buried them away. These days, I've explained to her that my searches have become rather "refined" as to what I'm looking for. (Don't know for sure, but I know it when I see it.) It's no longer an issue. One club scrounger in the household is enough.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Spring Scramble is now in the books and it was a less then stellar performance by the home team. We started nicely with a birdie on #1, par on a longish par 4, then another birdie on #3. A 40+ foot chip-in for a birdie 4. We were riding high and confident. That encapsulates the highlights of the day. Next hole, gave a stroke back, myself and another rinsing balls pond right, another getting tangled in the trees left and the best we had was 20' short of the green. Middling chips and a slippery downhill putt that everyone missed.

This became the tale for the remainder of the round. We were not hitting our GIR. Constantly chipping, pitching and scrambling for pars is not a way to win at the scrambles game. Finally the putting turned cold along about hole 14 at which point we sort of said to heck with it. The writing was sort of on the proverbial wall at that point. The group following us, an older gentleman, his son and two other college age kids were smoking the ball. Seemingly always in position, putting for birdies, settling for pars. We conversed briefly at the turn, they were -5, we were even. After the wheels fell off, we limped in at +2. The team following us was low at -9. We did manage to win a skin for that first hole birdie. But the payout was rather meager as there were 7 skins dividing the money.

But still an enjoyable day, with good friends, on what turned out to be a very nice day weather-wise. What more could you ask for. Other than some better approach shots into the greens. Golf league starts on Tuesday night, so time to refocus and prepare. Forecast, 50* and possible moisture. Lovely.

Good to see the Chief popping in to say hello. We'd sure struggle without farmers and truckers.

Thanks PD! I stalk you guys from time to time. I'll start posting a bit more, it's always a fun discussion in this thread!

By all means Chief; join in with us!!

I find a lot of golf balls (a byproduct of being the first out on an empty course). Early in the season I put the good balls into play and then switch to the 12 (or so) dozen 3 piece (or more) urethane balls I have in stock. This year will be a combo of Maxfli U3/U4/U6, Gamer Tours, and FG Tours (and a few others). Never been smitten with Pro Vs as I don't believe their performance warrants their price. Not when other 'Tour' balls can be had for less than $30 a dozen.

Here are my recent finds

I'm going to try to trade in the extra for buckets of balls at the range this year.

PD, those balls need to be cleaned!! LOL

Been in lurk mode the past week or so....here's my feeble attempt to address everyone in a post LOL

MDg, great to hear your hitting balls and will be playing again this year!! Also glad to hear the house issues are resolved and your Precious is taken care of.

Sixty, get well soon!! Bronchitis is no joke.

Matt, good job on the scramble not sure I said that yet. I like scrambles, I'm somewhat hesitant to say that I'm a decently long hitter I can hit over 300 fairly comfortably, trying not to brag lol. One day when we play I'll have to put my money where my mouth is, but yeah I feel the pressure to be really aggressive. Most times I'd hit a driver where I never would playing my own ball. However if my partner hits a stinker the 3 iron will come out. As for balls, I'm a B330 guy, I notice a difference too. Launch angle and spin. I like the B330, comes off lower (for me) than the proVx, and shots into the green don't spin back as much with the B300. I like drop and stop, not drop and spin back 20 feet.

Fella, sounds like you had a good time at your scramble, and sweet score on the iron set!

Stu, those are some lovely clubs! Glad to hear your BP levels are good, keep on staying good with the diet!

PD, you handsome devil!! Glad your back out on the course, sorry you got stuck behind a whole bunch of groups. BUT your attitude is always an A+.....ps Nice balls hehehe

MC forgot to say the "toss salad" line really got me, well done LOL

Pigs, sweet home course Bro!! And great shooting, still early in the season and it's only gonna get even better!

Thug, nice round(s), that Bio Cell + gets great reviews, you probably still finding your groove with it. I still remember playing the tiny 250cc drivers, those were unforgiving lol, you'll be fine with the Bio Cell I'm sure Brah!

I'm hanging out with my Uncle from Hawaii, that's why I've been in lurk mode.

Hi Papa, Chief, Ninja, Rad, Reasy, Bick, Master Dan, Gaucho, Q, Vater, and Crab Diddy

I really hope I didn't forget anyone, sorry if I did!

Edit 4/26/2016, Scotee!!!!!!!!!!!! Heard moving sucks lol, hopefully that's all settled down now! :D

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Happy birthday MC!

I'm really particular about the ball I play. Even though I have about 1000 balls in buckets (I have a yard with a "green" mowed in that I can hit shots up to 165 yards or so) I almost always play new out of the box Bridgestone B-330S. A green dot on each side of the logo on both sides. Now if I've lost a couple already and the round has gone awry I might switch to a found ball in my bag but any serious round it's a B-330S the whole way. To get even more particular, I wait until the winter sale and then buy four boxes. I take all the 1's, 2's, 3's, and 4's and put them in separate boxes so I play the same number for quite a while. Makes it really easy to remember what number you've got in play.

PD, that's some dedication bud! My rule for winter golf is I need 2/3 things: sun, 35*F+, and no wind. 1/3 or 0/3 and I'm staying home!

Thanks for the well wishes, gentlemen!!

So far, I've worked 10 hours, played 9 and have been up for 25 hours. Lol.

I didn't keep score. Still trying to groove a few new moves. Hit the 68s well. Dialing in some feel on the wedges and my rhythm isn't matching my tempo with the driver. A few good, a few hip stall hooks. If I can trust it, I can crush the driver....Yknow. ...for a man of my advanced years. ;)

It's never been good to play this tired but screw it. Its my birthday. :D

I'm going down for the count. Some good rest and I'll play 9 again tomorrow. Y'all have a good day as well.

Welcome aboard Chief! Do you mind answering what you like about the B330's?

Happy Birthday, MC! You'll have to give me a stroke for each year you've been on Earth that I haven't, that's 9 as of today.

PD, that's bizarre that your club is okay with big groups like that. I would think common sense would take hold and cancel out that kind of selfish behavior. Although it might be fun to play in 5 or 6-some on occasion I would assume it would get old being stuck behind them.

I bought a bulk deal on the old 2015 Nike RZN Black. That's my favorite ball, but I was down to about 5 or 6 sleeves and bought the 4 for the price of 3 deal from Titleist. It just doesn't suit me as well. Seems like it's something with the compression. I get less accuracy off the tee and into the green with it. The tee ball seems to spin too much and the approach too little. It holds it's line and stops on the green, but doesn't take the curve as well as I like. Weird thing with the ProV1x, I think do to them wanting them to launch high which I think is simply a lower compression, is I get a "jumper" every once in awhile. The super pured shot that goes 15 yards longer than you usually hit that club. Long is dead around where I play, so I remember them well.

Nike bumped the price of their premium ball up to the same as Titleist, which is a joke IMO. I need to get a part-time job as an assistant and get a ball deal. I'd pay wholesale, but retail near 50 bucks a dozen is insulting. Especially for sweatshop products. I might switch to the Snell or Vice balls.

Thanks for the well wishes, gentlemen!!

So far, I've worked 10 hours, played 9 and have been up for 25 hours. Lol.

I didn't keep score. Still trying to groove a few new moves. Hit the 68s well. Dialing in some feel on the wedges and my rhythm isn't matching my tempo with the driver. A few good, a few hip stall hooks. If I can trust it, I can crush the driver....Yknow. ...for a man of my advanced years. ;)

It's never been good to play this tired but screw it. Its my birthday. :D

I'm going down for the count. Some good rest and I'll play 9 again tomorrow. Y'all have a good day as well.

Happy 49 Broschmacker!

As soon as you can shoot 65 with your eyes closed you can go Monday

qualify for the Champs Tour......or as it is now called "PGA Tour Champions". :D

TOOLed!!

Welcome aboard Chief! Do you mind answering what you like about the B330's?

Happy Birthday, MC! You'll have to give me a stroke for each year you've been on Earth that I haven't, that's 9 as of today.

PD, that's bizarre that your club is okay with big groups like that. I would think common sense would take hold and cancel out that kind of selfish behavior. Although it might be fun to play in 5 or 6-some on occasion I would assume it would get old being stuck behind them.

I bought a bulk deal on the old 2015 Nike RZN Black. That's my favorite ball, but I was down to about 5 or 6 sleeves and bought the 4 for the price of 3 deal from Titleist. It just doesn't suit me as well. Seems like it's something with the compression. I get less accuracy off the tee and into the green with it. The tee ball seems to spin too much and the approach too little. It holds it's line and stops on the green, but doesn't take the curve as well as I like. Weird thing with the ProV1x, I think do to them wanting them to launch high which I think is simply a lower compression, is I get a "jumper" every once in awhile. The super pured shot that goes 15 yards longer than you usually hit that club. Long is dead around where I play, so I remember them well.

Nike bumped the price of their premium ball up to the same as Titleist, which is a joke IMO. I need to get a part-time job as an assistant and get a ball deal. I'd pay wholesale, but retail near 50 bucks a dozen is insulting. Especially for sweatshop products. I might switch to the Snell or Vice balls.

yes not a fan of the increase in price. I was able to find a deal on wilson Duo Urethane. Going to try em out and hopefully they will perform decently. With the warmer weather, a lot of our greens are getting dryer and harder and less receptive haha. During late fall, winter, and early spring any ball works mostly, but after they initial aeration of the year which should be coming up soon for some courses, greens get really nice and firm haha. Worth a shot.

Forever Changing at this point.......

After playing tour balls for several years I played the SuperSoft the past

few years. Great ball IMO and cheap. Last time home I bought 6 dz

ChromeSofts to try out so I guess I'll be playing those for awhile haha.

Geez, I still have a bunch of B330RXS left too though I think that ball

was better before they went to the dimple in dimple cover in 2012.

Titleist finally came out with a ball to compete with the SuperSoft. I

forget the name of it but I want to try it too.

I really like the softer balls these days cause I can compress them

better with an iron and they will spin just fine if you compress them.

After playing tour balls for several years I played the SuperSoft the past

few years. Great ball IMO and cheap. Last time home I bought 6 dz

ChromeSofts to try out so I guess I'll be playing those for awhile haha.

Geez, I still have a bunch of B330RXS left too though I think that ball

was better before they went to the dimple in dimple cover in 2012.

Titleist finally came out with a ball to compete with the SuperSoft. I

forget the name of it but I want to try it too.

I really like the softer balls these days cause I can compress them

better with an iron and they will spin just fine if you compress them.

To try out? That sounds more like a permanent stash. Have pretty much switched to soft compression balls as well. Primarily Duos. Picked up a doz. Duo Spins to try out this spring. Can't really notice any significant difference between these and the standard version. Can't see where they spin any more or less. So probably won't me paying the $9.00 premium moving forward. The Tiltleist ball is the NXT Tour S, but at $45 per, doubt I'll be buying any.

Brother works at GC in NM (starter, marshall, etc.). Last year, he supplied me with about 4 doz. found Pro V1X balls. Good ball, but probably not entirely suitable for my game and SS. This will probably be a lifetime supply. I'm of the belief that pro V's are a tad over hyped. There are other balls that are every bit as good if not superior to them. I'm not one for paying the $$ for premium balls. With that said, a real sleeper premium ball IMO is the Wilson FG Tours. Played a sleeve of those last year and really liked how they performed. Felt they were a little longer than the Pro V's and every bit as good (maybe even better) around the greens. However, I have so many balls around now, its hard to justify purchasing more.

In theory, makes sense to find a suitable ball and play that one exclusively. Thus gauging performance. Reality is, particularly if not playing so hot, hit whatever comes out of the front line ball pocket.

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing.....

Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing.....

Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...

I just got back from a vacation and sucked in epic proportions. I played Emerald Valley and Sandpines and shot 92 and 93. It was all short game issues. Well that and possibly chemical alteration of the brain. I want to hate this game but it was an awesome time with my wife so I'm conflicted.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I just got back from a vacation and sucked in epic proportions. I played Emerald Valley and Sandpines and shot 92 and 93. It was all short game issues. Well that and possibly chemical alteration of the brain. I want to hate this game but it was an awesome time with my wife so I'm conflicted.

Glad you had a good Vaca Den!! I totally get your frustrations with this game though lol, I too want to be mad at it but I know it's all on me. Just gotta work harder :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Glad you had a good Vaca Den!! I totally get your frustrations with this game though lol, I too want to be mad at it but I know it's all on me. Just gotta work harder :)

LOL we work so hard just to be extremely mediocre at this game. Still better than being a master basket weaver.

Registered Bladeocrat

Thanks for the welcome Matt!

To preface, I'd guess that at my skill level whether or not a ball fits me is probably based on 75% preconceived notions! That said, I feel like the B-330S gives me an overall strong performance. Good distance off the tee, good feel off the irons and putter, and the biggest factor which is some control around the greens with chips and pitches. And a lot of that opinion is based off my play a couple years ago when I was shooting better scores. Last year was a down year for me and this year has been hit and miss. I've shot par a couple times now on evening nines but my average is probably 40-42. I've been feeling Pigems pain the last couple years now. One day I'll show up to the course and most shots are pretty near the sweet spot, and then the next weekend it's army golf!

I don't know why but the low compression balls like the duo and chrome soft don't work for me at all. Probably because my idea of going easy at it is swinging 99% instead of 100%!

BTW, hail Chief Illiniwek and welcome to Confessions!

Some FYIs about these threads:

- TOOL = Temporarily Out Of Likes; the limit is about 75 in a rolling 24 hr period

- MAWBB = Might As Well Be a Blade = any iron with a muscle behind the sweetspot

- posting your swing is the ultimate confession

Registered Bladeocrat

- TOOL = Temporarily Out Of Likes; the limit is about 75 in a rolling 24 hr period

- MAWBB = Might As Well Be a Blade = any iron with a muscle behind the sweetspot

Posting my swing could also result in a lot of laughs!

Speaking of MAWBB's, I've had 3 different people call my Irons Blades in the passed week lol. They are CB's haha

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Pigs, I think you've fallen into the "New Member Black Hole Paradigm." Don't worry it happened to all of us.

You join club. You realize you can play golf as frequently as you like. You play golf. Every day. You DON'T practice. Your swing gets a little worse every round. Eventually you break triple digits again and realize that range time is essential to scoring.

I've been a member now for about 16 months. I'm finally coming out of the other side of the black hole. The good news is that there are lower scores on the other side.

Today, I actually had an epiphany. Not only am I continuing to scale back full rounds of golf, but now I'm ditching a practice day at the club with unlimited range balls and a killer short game area for a full day at the practice green at a different facility closer to my house. 2.5 hours, putting only.

After the first day I had several significant breakthroughs with my putting stroke. First, I've got to hold my shoulders up to give myself enough space to rock them properly and get through the stroke. Slunched shoulders result in pushed putts. Second, I found this neat thing about my new "deep in the life line of the lead hand" putting grip. It allows the butt of the putter to rest in the crook of my wrist when my hands are pressed properly. Last big one for the day, and I really love this one...

I figured out that if I count a little metronome "click, clock" in my head then my distance control improves about ten fold. Basically, I'm using this little tempo reminder to keep the stroke in the same time, so all I can vary is the speed of the stroke back and through. If I stick with trying to putt during the exhale, pace the speed of the stroke into this metronome count, and keep my head down, then I can actually pose as a mediocre putter. Mission accomplished.

Matt, I don't know if the "shoulders up" tip is going to help but I just practiced it in the tractor cab and a light bulb went off! I need it because (not so) humble brag alert, on Friday I hit 9/10 greens, yes we played 10 holes, and I shot +2 with zero birds! We also played two extra holes with one club. I chose a 5i and went double, bogey thanks to missing two 3 footers. Playing for a beer and my partner has a 20' for par and drains it with his 4h. Then I choke under the pressure. The ultimate needle then came when a third guy said "the way you putted today you would've missed that 3 footer with your putter too! Lol!

Edit: Forgot, 2 of the birdie "putts" were from the fringe, so not actually GIRS

Hope it helps Chief.

I'm not squeezing my scapulas together aggressively, or pulling my shoulders up towards my ears, like when you shrug, but just rolling them back a bit to raise my arms up and create an axis across my chest. More or less just walking up to the ball, setting my hip tilt by pressing my glutes out a little so my heels sink, and then practicing "good posture" in my upper body.

The whole idea came from noticing that I pushed putts when I "released" the putter too late or not at all. I feel like it is more or less the equivalent to a block in the full swing. After a few intentional pushes I felt like I was too cramped at impact and there was too little space to fully rotate through the finish. I noticed I was almost subconsciously slouching at the ball probably to try and get a better look at the target line. Now, I'm standing up straight and bracing the putter against that lead wrist. So, I don't feel much need at all to focus on the path of the putter, but simply "feel" the right takeaway speed in order to stroke the putt in my cadence. Edited to add: I've also scrubbed the ground a few times like a fat putt. So, I think I've been manipulating the handle to keep from scrubbing. Now, I can rotate back and through without changing where the putter bottoms.

For the first time I've actually been fired up about putting. I've realized that I can go out and strike the ball great and score high. I can go out and strike the ball poor and score relatively well. So, ball striking isn't really a key. Putting is the key. Well, short game really.