2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

^ Good stuff Conrad. Most of all, you have to keep playing to keep your short game in tune. No matter how 'good' you are at it, you have to constantly keep playing and practicing to just sustain it.

Oh ya. Short game is the first thing to go when you don't play much. My short

game is atrocious. I can't "feel" the shots. I might as well be playing wearing

boxing gloves, lol.

My lowest index @7.5 was when I was playing 3x per week and constantly working on short game. Right now my ballstriking and swing is better than ever but my index is up around 10 because I don't put in the same amount of short game practice and I play about 1.5 times per week.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, that's a good one Pigs! Wait a minute......are you trying to insinuate something about us "old boys" around here?

If so, had a pithy response to you, but can't quite recall what it was going to be.

A day or two away from golf is usually a good starting point for refreshing one's perspective. The season is just getting started, plenty of time for play, practice, and enjoyment. No sense unnecessarily pushing expectations. Things will come back around.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing.....

Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...

I wanted to respond to this Pigs cause I know how you feel bro.

Every time I go home I play with my friends and they play 3-4 times a week.

Now these are older guys that range in age from the 50s to the 60s. They

don't have pretty swings and they play with GI and SGI irons.

I've been out there when they have bad days but most of the time these guys

are shooting in the mid 70s. I just shake my head cause if you saw these guys

swing you wouldn't think they would score so low but they are fairway and

green machines, lol, and when they miss a green they usually get up and

down.

In a way it frustrates me a little cause in my mind I'm thinking if I played as much

as them I would whoop their a**es but the truth is likely I wouldn't cause this

game is hard and they have just grooved their game over many years and

are good at scoring and I am not. I would have to practice my a** off to really

have a chance of whooping them and even then I'm looking at having to play

par golf to do it. Very few golfers can play par golf.....playing the ball down.

I get a little tired of them making excuses for me, lol, saying well I don't get

to play much so don't be hard on myself. I don't really get hard on myself, I

just feel a little behind the 8 ball as most of the time I'm shooting the worst

scores in the group and I want to play better.

It doesn't seem that long ago that I could shoot a 37-39 or so and play

respectable golf but now, honestly, I'm happy if I can keep my score under

45 a side so I can at least stay in the 80s, lol. And I've had a few days where

I got off to such a bad start I told them not even to keep my score and

that is a little embarrassing haha.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to play well in this game

is to play a lot so that you have your swing and your shots dialed in. There's

just no substitute for actually playing. As my playing time has decreased over

the past several years my scores have gone up. There is a DIRECT relationship.

So play all you can, my friend and play more than you practice....and when you

practice, practice on the course instead of the range whenever you can. Practice

from every awful lie you can.

I think you'll find the more you play the better you will get, regardless of whether

your swing is perfect or not.

One thing I never learned well was how to score. When I was swinging good I

could score decently and but when I was not swinging well I did not have the

scrambling ability to save my score and that is still my problem. I'm very prone

to having big numbers on holes because I don't scramble well. I get myself

into awful places and awful lies and I don't have the shots to save par or even

a bogie sometimes....and I end up with double or triple on a hole when I should

at least make bogie and no worse.

While you have the time right now PLAY PLAY PLAY!! Your game will come around.

Truth spoken here!

+1

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

First night of league play this afternoon. Gray, cold and windy. Temp is now at 47* and falling (P Daddy weather?). Super excited to hit the links....not. Probably need to have reduced expectations for meaningful results. Or putting a positive spin on the situation.....hdcp. padding.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

True, 'Rad. I've always felt like I putt better at really expensive courses like the ones they play every week. The rare opportunities I have had to experience those type greens, I liked them.

But, there that. They are playing at a different course every week, on different greens. I play at my home course where I should know where the putts break. But, they do have a caddie that expends a lot of time and energy to figure each green out before they play it.

I just wanted to check and see where the best of the world are in putting. Obviously my bar is much lower, but I was curious how much distance effects make percentage.

It's useful to an extent but like in most cases comparing our games to

the best in the world is difficult to do.

Did you know the PGA Tour brings their own sand to every course?

You wonder why these guys are so good out of bunkers, lol? They're

great for sure but they get the same sand every week.

For real?

You be pulling our leg?

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

After playing tour balls for several years I played the SuperSoft the past

few years. Great ball IMO and cheap. Last time home I bought 6 dz

ChromeSofts to try out so I guess I'll be playing those for awhile haha.

Geez, I still have a bunch of B330RXS left too though I think that ball

was better before they went to the dimple in dimple cover in 2012.

Titleist finally came out with a ball to compete with the SuperSoft. I

forget the name of it but I want to try it too.

I really like the softer balls these days cause I can compress them

better with an iron and they will spin just fine if you compress them.

Well said I got off the Pro V thing about a year or so ago. I still have some used ones left and I will play them when just knocking around. I played the Bridgestone Treo Softs last year because I won some gift cards for Golfsmith and they had a jam up price on them because they were discontinued. I also play the Srixon Soft Feels they get the distance out there for me and they have control plus I can spin the crap out of them. Best thing is they are $19.85 a dozen at either Wally World or a small independent shop in Surfside Beach.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Just looked up some putting stats from the PGA Tour out of curiosity and thought I'd share....

Henrik Stenson is the best putter in the world from within 5 feet and this season he has made 220 out of 222 attempts.

Charlie Beljan is the worst and still has made more than 92% of his attempts.

From 5 to 10 feet the percentage range drops to 72% at the top and 41% at the bottom.

From 10 to 15 feet 40% puts you in the top 10. The average is more like 30%.

Even the best in world only make 15 to 18% between 15 and 25 feet. That is absolutely remarkable to me. I can't believe they make that many putts outside of 15 feet.

These guys do three putt. About once every 4 rounds.

They also putt on near perfect greens that are fast....and so you don't have

to hit the ball hard.....which makes it easier.

No long ago they played on a course that was running only about 8-9 on

the stimp and a little bumpy and they all struggled getting the ball to the

hole and keeping their putts on line.

Exactly. If greens are fast and you're a decent putter (in regards to speed control) you really just have to make sure your line is good. Speed is pretty easy to accomplish. Most guys I play with their biggest issue is even hitting the ball any where near the needed line for a putt.

Very interesting stats Matt about distances. I try to remind my buddy that outside of 8 feet the pros aren't that reliable and that if we miss we shouldn't be that mad haha. Unless it's a speed miss like gorilla or "Nancy" the putt.

Forever Changing at this point.......

True, 'Rad. I've always felt like I putt better at really expensive courses like the ones they play every week. The rare opportunities I have had to experience those type greens, I liked them.

But, there that. They are playing at a different course every week, on different greens. I play at my home course where I should know where the putts break. But, they do have a caddie that expends a lot of time and energy to figure each green out before they play it.

I just wanted to check and see where the best of the world are in putting. Obviously my bar is much lower, but I was curious how much distance effects make percentage.

It's useful to an extent but like in most cases comparing our games to

the best in the world is difficult to do.

Did you know the PGA Tour brings their own sand to every course?

You wonder why these guys are so good out of bunkers, lol? They're

great for sure but they get the same sand every week.

Do they really? Haha that's crazy. We have fast greens here on many courses but if the course is open to the public at all, it's not rolling that smooth because people suck and don't fix their pitch marks or feet scuffs.

Only public courses that can retain smooth greens are ones that have rock hard greens that don't get many pitch marks for the most part. Only issue there is a lot of them out cups in impossible places on slopes haha

Once you're clubs start to look like this there isn't much left to save but the Faces haha. That's my 7i, it's the worst of them but there are a couple others at this point with some songs and dents and a Very Nice amount a bag chatter at this point in time. This will be their 3rd season in the bag this year :)

Now just for the record, I don't Miss Treat them or anything, I care for them and treat them with respect. But I've come to like the Battle Scarred/Bag Chattered look a lot :)

I keep saying it I AM wearing off on people

I will say the only reason my index is stay below 15 is because of my putting and chipping. I work on it a lot. Now that my irons are coming around and my driver is continuing to be better (still not great but I did hit 61% of my fairways today averaging about 250) I think I can reach my goal of 10 this year. 29 putts today with one 3 putt on 18 ughhh. Shot 91 but I had 5 penalty strokes.... Oiy.

Put two different balls in play today. New Wilson duo urethane and the rm5 rzn tournplatinum. Both are fantastic. I forgot how awesome it was to see balls stop and spin back a little haha. Solid day for not playing in 2-3 weeks. Excited for the rest of the year.

Papa J, pins are definitely a consideration. PGA Tour does dictate that all pin locations are located in relatively flat spots. No more than a 1% grade in a 3 foot radius if I recall correctly. That makes sense with them being so solid within 5 feet.

I practiced putting for about 2 more hours today. Really focusing on speed and leaving putts within 3 feet of the cup. I also worked the 7 to 12 foot range hard checking my alignment and how straight of a roll my stroke is producing.

I worked one cup for about a half hour that's cut into a huge slope, probably 3% at least, and you can certainly miss pretty easily from 5 feet.

I'm focused on becoming more situationally aware and conscious of my putting. Leaving lags in an easier place to two putt and making sure I adjust my stroke for the slope. The little "tick tock" cadence trigger is definitely helping.

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing.....

Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...

down.

In a way it frustrates me a little cause in my mind I'm thinking if I played as much

par golf to do it. Very few golfers can play par golf.....playing the ball down.

I get a little tired of them making excuses for me, lol, saying well I don't get

practice, practice on the course instead of the range whenever you can. Practice

I think you'll find the more you play the better you will get, regardless of whether

scrambling ability to save my score and that is still my problem. I'm very prone

Nice post, Mr. Radster. I've spent a lot of time this Spring focused on my full swing. Now, that I'm playing again, I'm hitting some occasional wayward shots because I don't completely trust it on the course but it's getting there. Irons are good. This morning hit driver 7 times, 5 were beautiful. The other 2 times I wasn't trusting it.

But.....

Short game is awful. I can hit the shots but there's no touch. Putter isn't much better. I've ignored the short game practice.

...and Rad, I've had some of my best rounds with a double on the first hole. Lol.

I've got no point here (rarely do) but you're right. Practice? Yes. Play....A LOT!

^ Good stuff Conrad. Most of all, you have to keep playing to keep your short game in tune. No matter how 'good' you are at it, you have to constantly keep playing and practicing to just sustain it.

Absoeffinghamlutely the short game is where it is at. That is what 90% of my practice time consists of. That was the only reason I was able to play competitively years ago. I could scramble from the damndest places you could imagine just let me get a 5 iron on it and then a wedge under it get it on the green and get the putter in my hand. I did my scoring on the par 3s and par 5s par 3s did not seem as long then as they are now. Par 5s if they were tight I would hit the 1 iron off the tee and position my second where I could get a wedge under it. LOL I actually play the par 5s like that now but I am a lot straighter with the driver but do not hit it as far.

It figures it would snow the day I put my summer tires on lol.

LOL I bet that thing would really spin those Mazdas have a lot of power to weight ratio but then again it is too nice of a car to play with and possibably tear up

Papa J, pins are definitely a consideration. PGA Tour does dictate that all pin locations are located in relatively flat spots. No more than a 1% grade in a 3 foot radius if I recall correctly. That makes sense with them being so solid within 5 feet.

I practiced putting for about 2 more hours today. Really focusing on speed and leaving putts within 3 feet of the cup. I also worked the 7 to 12 foot range hard checking my alignment and how straight of a roll my stroke is producing.

I worked one cup for about a half hour that's cut into a huge slope, probably 3% at least, and you can certainly miss pretty easily from 5 feet.

I'm focused on becoming more situationally aware and conscious of my putting. Leaving lags in an easier place to two putt and making sure I adjust my stroke for the slope. The little "tick tock" cadence trigger is definitely helping.

Using a metronome type cadence for my putting has been a huge help. Keeps me from stabbing. Reading slope is hard to explain for me. Like I've always said, it's complete feel and by initial look/feeling for me. Usually pretty damn close.

Once you're clubs start to look like this there isn't much left to save but the Faces haha. That's my 7i, it's the worst of them but there are a couple others at this point with some songs and dents and a Very Nice amount a bag chatter at this point in time. This will be their 3rd season in the bag this year :)

Now just for the record, I don't Miss Treat them or anything, I care for them and treat them with respect. But I've come to like the Battle Scarred/Bag Chattered look a lot :)

Pigs, it looks like you attempted to give them their own special 'tour grind' and it went a bit wrong.

Using a metronome type cadence for my putting has been a huge help. Keeps me from stabbing. Reading slope is hard to explain for me. Like I've always said, it's complete feel and by initial look/feeling for me. Usually pretty damn close.

That is called instinct putting letting your eyes and brain tell you what line and how hard to hit the ball without THINKING--- Too much thinking is dangerous.I have been an instinct putter all my life and it has served me well. I do not even think about rythim or making the perfect methodical stroke. I get my line get over the ball sight the line and putt it. The best advice I ever heard was from Annika "Stay down and listen for the ball to fall in the cup especially from 5 foot in

Pigs, it looks like you attempted to give them their own special 'tour grind' and it went a bit wrong.

We can market it as "Pigs Custom Tour Grind"

It figures it would snow the day I put my summer tires on lol.

LOL I bet that thing would really spin those Mazdas have a lot of power to weight ratio but then again it is too nice of a car to play with and possibably tear up

Oh she spins!! Only did it the one time though lol. But I agree she has a surprising amount of "Pep" for a little 150hp 2.0 engine for sure, very fun to drive for sure for what it is and great on gas to boot. I wouldn't mind getting the MazdaSpeed Turbo version when it's time to move on. I do like my Mazdas :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Lol! The sole will come back the same, but the leading edge of the toe will look like it was put through an industrial meat grinder.

"A versatile grind for those that play in a variety of turf conditions and like a bit of extra feel on those toe hits." :butcher:

That is called instinct putting letting your eyes and brain tell you what line and how hard to hit the ball without THINKING--- Too much thinking is dangerous.I have been an instinct putter all my life and it has served me well. I do not even think about rythim or making the perfect methodical stroke. I get my line get over the ball sight the line and putt it. The best advice I ever heard was from Annika "Stay down and listen for the ball to fall in the cup especially from 5 foot in

I think Dave Stockton's book on putting is called "Instinct Putting". I like his approach and have actually thought about getting the DVD.

Stu, I totally agree that thinking too much can be very damaging to putting. Your subconscious knows what to do. It's just a matter of getting out the way and trusting it, which is a lot easier said than done. I really like Rotella's books in that regard. I need to read them regularly to remind myself of the things he advocates, but they have really helped my game.

Edit: Stockton's book is actually 'Unconscious Putting'. Instinct Putting is the book in which the authors advocate looking at the hole whilst putting, Spieth style.

down.

Some true words of wisdom there Rad. I think a lot of golfers would do well to heed your advice, me included.

Lol! The sole will come back the same, but the leading edge of the toe will look like it was put through an industrial meat grinder.

"A versatile grind for those that play in a variety of turf conditions and like a bit of extra feel on those toe hits."

Works for me, send me all your clubs and I'll knock them off a few rocks and send'em on back, and for only $49.99 CDN per club at that :rofl:

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

So I was doing some chipping practice in the garden this evening, testing out the slo-mo feature on my new phone (I had to upgrade after my last phone, which I had six years, died on me).

The results weren't bad. This was a little bunt with a 7 iron. My face is out of the frame too which, trust me, is a good thing.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOSd8mUVdQ[/media]