2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

Went to a demo day today. They actually had some lefty stuff. The Nike rep worked with me a bunch getting the Vapor driver to feel right. Finally got it tuned in with a 70 gram Diamana shaft in X-stiff. Lol. I handed it back to the guy and pointed out that his driver now has some ghost prints from the ball in the center of the face. I winked and smiled. Whoever had been hitting it left quite a few marks on the heel. And I'm not talking slightly off center.

I know.....I'm an arse. Hey, I smiled when I said it. :D

The club that really surprised me was the Callaway Apex pro forged iron. They had a lefty 7i w/project x 6.0. It felt NICE!!! It was smaller than I thought it would be and little offset. I went and got my MP68 7i and compared them. At address you couldn't tell them apart.

Had the Callaway rep take the plastic off the 58* wedge. I hit a bunch of balls with that including about 5 out of divots. Hit them well. I handed it back to him full of dirt and told him "nice wedge. I can tell a good wedge when I can dig the ball out of divots" :D Told him I'd clean it up but he said he'd get it.

The guy next to me ask me what loft I had. I had just hit an open face floater. He told me I hit it really high. I explained that I opened the face and did it on purpose. LMAO! It was about 80 ft in the air and went about 30 yards.

Had some compliments on my swing from the gallery. When I noticed people watching, I'd move on. Finally went down to the end of the range when I got the wedge.

The Cobra LTD driver really surprised me. Was hitting nice little cuts with it. Nice trajectory. I think it had an Ozik shaft but I didn't pay attention which one. Loving my 815 DBD to even think about a driver.

I seen some plaid shorts and white belts. I had on a cheap tshirt, ratty cargo shorts and my mainstay....blue Mizuno ballcap. Lol. Let my ballflight make up for attire. LMAO!!

That's all I got.

Oh yeah, I bought the Drive4Dough video the other day. I don't want to sound like the guys that are willing to "toss Monte's salad" but I'm only an hour into the video (like 4hrs long) and it's good. Simple with detail and a lot of info. It was done really well.

Okay, that's all I got.

Drawing a gallery eh??? Nice. I better get my game in order if I'm gonna

play with a guy that draws a gallery. :crazy:

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this Old School golf cart/bag combo on Kijiji for $20, I've never seen anything like it before buts it's such a great idea!! I wish it was in better shape or buy it and use it, I wonder if there is a modern version/equivalent available??

SSP, hope you're feeling better soon Sir!!!

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

As to the 'hardcore' comments. After being cooped up for the winter months there isn't much that would keep me at home. If the course operators let me tee up a ball then I'm all in. I'm sure they think I'm crazy and they might be a little right.

That's great weather for you and Benden, lol, and the rest of us are happy

to hear about it while we are warm and cozy....it was 93 F when we went

through Needles, CA yesterday. My kinda weather.....hot and dry.....no time

for golf though, as usual.

Then it was 46 F and howling winds in Victorville this morning and of course

the dog had to go outside RIGHT NOW. He has no clue what the weather

is outside until he is actually out in it. I tried to tell him it was nasty out but

he wouldn't listen.

Alright you bladeaholics. Found these today at my local pro shop (Salvation Army). Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades (3 - PW), TT Dynamic (S). Near as I can determine, '81 - '83 version. Played very little, great shape. Had to pay a premium because it wasn't senior discount day. Was kinda hope'in they would have been a partial so I wouldn't have been obligated to buy them.

No idea how they will play, look rather sinister. Have a feeling these aren't for sissy's. But the Physics sez.......Buttah!

Also, a DeChambeau chapeau.

Those look sweet Fella. Just looking at those I would say they are 80 degree

irons.

Have been in the hospital with bacterial bronchitis, antibiotics doing nothing so far, coughing my brains out (well, I think they're gone).. Then had to reformat my computer. Also may miss the first night of my golf league on Tuesday due to feeling so bad. Other than that, things are just peachy. I really hope none of you get this, it's really going around in this area...

I've never heard of bacterial bronchitis. Sounds awful. I guess that's one

case where antibiotics will actually work. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Your course is waiting................ :)

It's not much fun I can tell you that... I had to take 3 days off of work this week. I was coughing so bad, and that's when I went back to the doctor. They had originally diagnosed it as viral bronchitis and just gave me this stuff called tessalon perles supposed to help clear the congestion. But it got worse, then I went back and they re-checked and it was bacterial. Antibiotics always give me seizures with my epilepsy, so sure enough I started having those (only the complex partial type) and then my neurologist had me double up on one of my meds for that, one that kinda knocks me out, so it's been an interesting week. Anyway, today seems to be the first day it appears that some of the congestion is starting to go away, so maybe there is hope that I can make it to the league Tuesday night, I'll just have to wait and see.

But like an idiot, or like a WRXer, or like a Confessioner, my new shaft came in this week, and today, I went to the range and tried it out. Hardly anyone was there. I got a small bucket of balls. I hit a few, coughed a bit, blew my nose, hit some more, rested, hit some more, coughed a bit, hit some more, blew my nose some more, hit more, then hit more, until I ran out, drove home and managed to smile as I was blowing my nose some more and coughing... I confess, I shouldn't have been driving yet, but.. it's not that far, true WRX'er...

It was nice to see pics of PD on the course so early. I usually do that too in the cold. Good for you, it's fun to be out there, especially when the course is all yours :)

Went to a demo day today. They actually had some lefty stuff. The Nike rep worked with me a bunch getting the Vapor driver to feel right. Finally got it tuned in with a 70 gram Diamana shaft in X-stiff. Lol. I handed it back to the guy and pointed out that his driver now has some ghost prints from the ball in the center of the face. I winked and smiled. Whoever had been hitting it left quite a few marks on the heel. And I'm not talking slightly off center.

The club that really surprised me was the Callaway Apex pro forged iron. They had a lefty 7i w/project x 6.0. It felt NICE!!! It was smaller than I thought it would be and little offset. I went and got my MP68 7i and compared them. At address you couldn't tell them apart.

Had the Callaway rep take the plastic off the 58* wedge. I hit a bunch of balls with that including about 5 out of divots. Hit them well. I handed it back to him full of dirt and told him "nice wedge. I can tell a good wedge when I can dig the ball out of divots" :D Told him I'd clean it up but he said he'd get it.

The guy next to me ask me what loft I had. I had just hit an open face floater. He told me I hit it really high. I explained that I opened the face and did it on purpose. LMAO! It was about 80 ft in the air and went about 30 yards.

Had some compliments on my swing from the gallery. When I noticed people watching, I'd move on. Finally went down to the end of the range when I got the wedge.

The Cobra LTD driver really surprised me. Was hitting nice little cuts with it. Nice trajectory. I think it had an Ozik shaft but I didn't pay attention which one. Loving my 815 DBD to even think about a driver.

I seen some plaid shorts and white belts. I had on a cheap tshirt, ratty cargo shorts and my mainstay....blue Mizuno ballcap. Lol. Let my ballflight make up for attire. LMAO!!

That's all I got.

Oh yeah, I bought the Drive4Dough video the other day. I don't want to sound like the guys that are willing to "toss Monte's salad" but I'm only an hour into the video (like 4hrs long) and it's good. Simple with detail and a lot of info. It was done really well.

Okay, that's all I got.

Ok, it wasn't really a gallery. A few guys said "nice swing" or "you hit that nice". They were probably just surprised that I could make contact...the way I was dressed and all. LMAO!!!

I played with a guy the other day that commented on the sweet dull thud the 68s made when I hit them. I was gonna lay some Deninnionian blade physics on him then explain how the 68s are forged from the same steel as the katanas of the ancient samurai. But instead, I just said "yeah, I like 'em". ;)

Fella,

There was a set of Australia Blades (more modern) at a local golf shop I frequent. They were beauties, that I should have traded something for, and had them sent to Continental for refinishing. The thought didn't cross my mind in those (pre-blade experimentation) days.

What is an Australian blade, anyway? This is like the 10th time I have heard that reference, and they aren't usually for the same club line. Do some OEMs actually manufacture in Australia?

That's all I got.

Okay, that's all I got.

Ok, it wasn't really a gallery. A few guys said "nice swing" or "you hit that nice". They were probably just surprised that I could make contact...the way I was dressed and all. LMAO!!!

I played with a guy the other day that commented on the sweet dull thud the 68s made when I hit them. I was gonna lay some Deninnionian blade physics on him then explain how the 68s are forged from the same steel as the katanas of the ancient samurai. But instead, I just said "yeah, I like 'em". ;)

No one said that to me when I had the blades in the bag. They said "what

are you doing with those in the bag?"

To all you lefties out there, these are pretty sweet and cheap. Ben Hogan Producer irons 2-Pw for $69. :)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ben-Hogan-Producer-Iron-Set-2-PW-MLH-Left-Handed-AMF-Apex-3-Steel-R7918-/272219689177?hash=item3f618ed0d9:g:3fAAAOSw8aNXGS3J

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Played a scramble today and we took 4th place. I couldn't get the flatstick working or we should have won. I hit 13 fairways and 15 greens. One of my partners was saying he counted them at the lunch afterwards and one guy says, "yeah, but that's not on your own ball." Another of my partners says, "yeah, that's even more impressive since we made him move back 30 yards three times to get our drives in."

I would have liked to have seen what I could have put up with my own ball. Another day...

That's all I got.

Okay, that's all I got.

Lol. The Callaway rep looked at me the same way today. Twice. Once when I asked to hit the pros with the rebar shafts and again when I brought my 7i back to compare the two clubs.

Kids!! ;)

The Nike rep would get railroaded right out of Golfwrx. He had long hair...like passed his shoulders long and "sleeves" (tattoos) covering both arms. Lol. He was great.

Played a scramble today and we took 4th place. I couldn't get the flatstick working or we should have won. I hit 13 fairways and 15 greens. One of my partners was saying he counted them at the lunch afterwards and one guy says, "yeah, but that's not on your own ball." Another of my partners says, "yeah, that's even more impressive since we made him move back 30 yards three times to get our drives in."

I would have liked to have seen what I could have put up with my own ball. Another day...

13/15 = good ball striking. Nice job MJ. The FIRs were all yours, and I imagine most of the GIRs were using your shot with that many FIRs.

I shot a fun 78 today, 10 pars 1 birdie 1 double. I was hitting the FGs well again but my driver was better than yesterday. Hit a bunch dead straight and fairly deep.

To all you lefties out there, these are pretty sweet and cheap. Ben Hogan Producer irons 2-Pw for $69. :)

http://www.ebay.ca/i...fAAAOSw8aNXGS3J

Pigs, you should ho these. They're sweet feeling irons, the price is good

and they have NDMCs on them. Heck, the grips would cost as much as

the irons, LMAO.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LH-MACGREGOR-VIP-TOURNEY-IRONS-3-PW-STEEL-STIFF-FLEX-/351704753160?hash=item51e33ca408:g:Rs4AAOSwG-1Wu3yt

Back at it.

No one out here as its cold, windy and wet.

Friggin paradise.

Even if I'm a little sideways ; )

Are those proscription goggles ? Cant tell on my computer... reason i ask is i am having a pair made......bottom half plain glass....top part for

distance sight...tried it once....lost them...going to try again ! Was wondering how you like them...or are they just to keep the cold wind out !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

That's all I got.

Okay, that's all I got.

Lol. The Callaway rep looked at me the same way today. Twice. Once when I asked to hit the pros with the rebar shafts and again when I brought my 7i back to compare the two clubs.

Kids!! ;)

The Nike rep would get railroaded right out of Golfwrx. He had long hair...like passed his shoulders long and "sleeves" (tattoos) covering both arms. Lol. He was great.

I said there's this guy named DeNinny and they said "who??".

So I'm spraying shots with my "more accurate" blades and they're knocking

down flags with their SGI Callaway irons. So glad I didn't actually say that

to them, lol. I know better. With these guys the clubs do the talkin'; the rest

is just......well, if you say it you better be able to back it up.....so I just say

nothing...except "there's this guy named DeNinny...............".

Have been in the hospital with bacterial bronchitis, antibiotics doing nothing so far, coughing my brains out (well, I think they're gone).. Then had to reformat my computer. Also may miss the first night of my golf league on Tuesday due to feeling so bad. Other than that, things are just peachy. I really hope none of you get this, it's really going around in this area...

Sorry to hear that ....hope it goes away fast and you get back to feeling right ! Get your rest...plenty of OJ,.and get well quick !

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Alright you bladeaholics. Found these today at my local pro shop (Salvation Army). Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades (3 - PW), TT Dynamic (S). Near as I can determine, '81 - '83 version. Played very little, great shape. Had to pay a premium because it wasn't senior discount day. Was kinda hope'in they would have been a partial so I wouldn't have been obligated to buy them.

No idea how they will play, look rather sinister. Have a feeling these aren't for sissy's. But the Physics sez.......Buttah!

Also, a DeChambeau chapeau.

Fella those things are sweet looking....someone loved those things for a loooong time !

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Good to see the Chief popping in to say hello. We'd sure struggle without farmers and truckers.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

So, I got a Cobra Bio Cell + driver last November, only used it 5 - 6 times last year, and then for about 10 rounds this year. The one thing I initially thought was that it often just doesn't go as far as my swing felt, but sometimes it did. But after a while now I am realizing that it has a small sweet spot. The + is the smaller head size version and the weighting is different (higher COG?). I think this is the first time I am playing a 'players' driver. Now I am learning to get my distance back by really trying to find the center of the face. I have actually been hitting it well with good distance lately.

Which makes me wonder about all the fuss over GI vs blade irons. I think that issues of MOI, COG, COR, and weighting are much more significant with driver and to a certain extent woods than with irons. With some of these GI drivers, if you hit it just somewhere on the face with anything remotely resembling a decent path and face angle, the ball will go.

13/15 = good ball striking. Nice job MJ. The FIRs were all yours, and I imagine most of the GIRs were using your shot with that many FIRs.

I shot a fun 78 today, 10 pars 1 birdie 1 double. I was hitting the FGs well again but my driver was better than yesterday. Hit a bunch dead straight and fairly deep.

Well done on the fine rounds Thug and Matt. It sounds like the two of you are playing well at the start of the season. Should bode well for the season.

I seem to be feast or famine in scrambles. I can play like a scratch golfer for stretches and then look like I don't have a clue. I get caught up in hitting the ball too hard and my tempo suffers.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

So, I got a Cobra Bio Cell + driver last November, only used it 5 - 6 times last year, and then for about 10 rounds this year. The one thing I initially thought was that it often just doesn't go as far as my swing felt, but sometimes it did. But after a while now I am realizing that it has a small sweet spot. The + is the smaller head size version and the weighting is different (higher COG?). I think this is the first time I am playing a 'players' driver. Now I am learning to get my distance back by really trying to find the center of the face. I have actually been hitting it well with good distance lately.

Which makes me wonder about all the fuss over GI vs blade irons. I think that issues of MOI, COG, COR, and weighting are much more significant with driver and to a certain extent woods than with irons. With some of these GI drivers, if you hit it just somewhere on the face with anything remotely resembling a decent path and face angle, the ball will go.

I agree Thug. Some of the wide soled SGI irons do have a relatively deep

and low COG (for an iron) and they do launch pretty easily. I have a set of

SGI Ping irons that also have a tungsten strip running from the mid sole

to the toe and they are pretty darn forgiving of toe hits......though not nearly

as much as a driver.

I too managed to get out for a mid afternoon round as I only had a 1/2 day of 'professional development'. Highlights of the round. A 'ten-some' (you read that right) screaming and yelling like drunking idiots after every shot, getting stuck behind a five-some of seniors that appeared to be engaged in a money match who had fallen behind the five-some in front by two holes, and following a two-some that featured a club thrower that had no business throwing clubs. It was cold, windy and wet. Needless to say, the round was a test of my mental fortitude. I played a two ball scramble to stay sane. The last few holes I lay on the ground and stared at the grey sky for ten minutes at a time as the round crawled to conclusion. Could be worse.

Sounds like the round from hell!! You have more patience than I PD. Would have been out of there. This is something I've been noticing more of these days, Five and six people in a group (thankfully, no ten-some.....yet). And apparently, acceptable. In that no one of an official nature is breaking them up. Seem to see more of it than I ever have. A bud thinks its OK to play in a larger group at times. I somewhat chastise him for this thinking. Refuse to participate. Once left the course without playing because it was setting up as a six-some. I was labeled a "grump". Don't get it.

I play public courses exclusively. Are they so desperate for the $ that they let any grouping play, regardless of what it does to POP? There once was a time when a large group would immediately be broken up by marshals. Now days, I don't even see marshals out except on the weekends, when I rarely play other than Sunday afternoons with the Mrs. Is this a trend being observed elsewhere?

sorry to say,but yes it is around here...the course i play a lot of rounds at has a policy that 5somes are allowed.....the Board ok'd it....three of the Board

are playing in the 5somes groups....go figure.

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I too managed to get out for a mid afternoon round as I only had a 1/2 day of 'professional development'. Highlights of the round. A 'ten-some' (you read that right) screaming and yelling like drunking idiots after every shot, getting stuck behind a five-some of seniors that appeared to be engaged in a money match who had fallen behind the five-some in front by two holes, and following a two-some that featured a club thrower that had no business throwing clubs. It was cold, windy and wet. Needless to say, the round was a test of my mental fortitude. I played a two ball scramble to stay sane. The last few holes I lay on the ground and stared at the grey sky for ten minutes at a time as the round crawled to conclusion. Could be worse.

Sounds like the round from hell!! You have more patience than I PD. Would have been out of there. This is something I've been noticing more of these days, Five and six people in a group (thankfully, no ten-some.....yet). And apparently, acceptable. In that no one of an official nature is breaking them up. Seem to see more of it than I ever have. A bud thinks its OK to play in a larger group at times. I somewhat chastise him for this thinking. Refuse to participate. Once left the course without playing because it was setting up as a six-some. I was labeled a "grump". Don't get it.

I play public courses exclusively. Are they so desperate for the $ that they let any grouping play, regardless of what it does to POP? There once was a time when a large group would immediately be broken up by marshals. Now days, I don't even see marshals out except on the weekends, when I rarely play other than Sunday afternoons with the Mrs. Is this a trend being observed elsewhere?

sorry to say,but yes it is around here...the course i play a lot of rounds at has a policy that 5somes are allowed.....the Board ok'd it....three of the Board

are playing in the 5somes groups....go figure.

It's early in the season at my home course so there aren't many groups jamming the course. It's not uncommon to see groups of five and six where I frequent, which is part of the reason I avoid peak times and leagues. The course 'marshals' clean up, rake bunkers, fix divots, and hunt for golf balls to take home. I believe they are all paid in free rounds. The owner will not tolerate stupidity, but I think he's still in Florida with the "Snow Birds".

I returned to the 9th green this morning and found three jello shooter cups next to the green where the ten-some was farting around. I have to assume alcohol played a role in some of the stupidity I witnessed.

A part of the story I left out yesterday. The group of five seniors that were in front of me waited behind the 9th green (after finishing out on 18) as the ten-some was coming up the fairway. It appeared that they were going to give the group a tongue lashing, but after a few minutes they chose to leave. Probably for the best.

I'm all for good fun (although none of what I saw amused me) but never at the expense of another's enjoyment.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

That's all I got.

Okay, that's all I got.

LOL...normally I get "your kind play at the other course down the street. You should go there. Now."

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

That's all I got.

Okay, that's all I got.

LOL...normally I get "your kind play at the other course down the street. You should go there. Now."

How did salad tossing make it past the mods...lol

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL