2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

I find a lot of golf balls (a byproduct of being the first out on an empty course). Early in the season I put the good balls into play and then switch to the 12 (or so) dozen 3 piece (or more) urethane balls I have in stock. This year will be a combo of Maxfli U3/U4/U6, Gamer Tours, and FG Tours (and a few others). Never been smitten with Pro Vs as I don't believe their performance warrants their price. Not when other 'Tour' balls can be had for less than $30 a dozen.

Here are my recent finds

I'm going to try to trade in the extra for buckets of balls at the range this year.

A little bleach and they will all be jumping outta there yelling hit me off the first tee bro.

I don't hit ProV's and I don't drive a Jaguaaaar.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ToOLe'D

Wolf, I can get too deep with a lot of lag and still get the pain in the wrist and elbow.

I've thought over and over again my next irons will have Steelfiber shafts.

Scotee, neat you have a SIL that plays! And plays well, too. That's a heck of a score. I think we we're fourth gross with -9 last weekend.

I find a lot of golf balls (a byproduct of being the first out on an empty course). Early in the season I put the good balls into play and then switch to the 12 (or so) dozen 3 piece (or more) urethane balls I have in stock. This year will be a combo of Maxfli U3/U4/U6, Gamer Tours, and FG Tours (and a few others). Never been smitten with Pro Vs as I don't believe their performance warrants their price. Not when other 'Tour' balls can be had for less than $30 a dozen.

Here are my recent finds

I'm going to try to trade in the extra for buckets of balls at the range this year.

A little bleach and they will all be jumping outta there yelling hit me off the first tee bro.

The balls are cleaner than MC's irons so I'm all good ; )

A little spit shine and they'll be ready for take off.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

LOL cleaner than MCs irons isn't saying much.

I've seen small gardens with less dirt.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

This game can be cruel. Aha moments change to Oh sh** moments in a heartbeat.

Putts burn edges and won't fall. Can't hit an iron flush; rope hook a driver 100 yards.

Can't get comfortable over the ball. Pain pops up; legs start feeling like fence posts.

Your phone rings and you spill your drink on yourself and then your bag falls off the

cart and you're afraid one of your babies got dinged.

Ain't it wonderful!!??

Putts burn edges and won't fall. Can't hit an iron flush; rope hook a driver 100 yards.

Can't get comfortable over the ball. Pain pops up; legs start feeling like fence posts.

Your phone rings and you spill your drink on yourself and then your bag falls off the

Ain't it wonderful!!??

Did you watch me play today or something?

Ain't it wonderful!!??

You caught me :busted2:!!!

I was the guy wearing the Rickie Fowler outfit following you around.

Here are my recent finds

You still playin' the World Destroyer Lady? Winter's over Qbrah. Bring out the QV1s.

Ain't it wonderful!!??

You caught me :busted2:!!!

I was the guy wearing the Rickie Fowler outfit following you around.

I finished off my set of Wishon 575 mmc heads last night. They should arrive in a few weeks. My holy grail irons.

I love those irons. Be sure to post pics when they arrive PD. Did you go for the CB's, MB's, or a mixture. Hang on....this is confessions and that's a stupid questions. Of course you went all MB's...right? ;)

I went with straight CB's after putting the mid irons into play for the past few months. I was initially going to purchase a split set, but I like the appearance of the CB so that is the direction I headed. If I want to play a split set of MB's/CB's I'll carry the Macs or the FG59s in the short irons.

The CBs in the Mac set feel pretty nice too but I only have 3-6. I may get a set

of all CBs if I can't find just 7-PW....I really need more irons. I don't have nearly

enough.

Ninja,

Happy to read that you had an enjoyable vacation. Hopefully some much needed R & R for you and the Mrs.

TYVM, MacDaddy. Yes it was a much needed and enjoyable vacation. We even hiked Sweet Creek which was awesome since it had 11 waterfalls.

BTW I got to hit the Wishon 575s the last time I saw my fitter. I wouldn't consider them a Holy Grail but they aren't a tin cup either.

Glad you had a nice vacation! When I take a vacation I go HOME! LOL

I've never hit a Wishon iron. Someday maybe PD will let me hit his. There

seems to be a pretty dedicated group of Wishon lovers here at WRX. I

figure there must be something to them.

Just looked up some putting stats from the PGA Tour out of curiosity and thought I'd share....

Henrik Stenson is the best putter in the world from within 5 feet and this season he has made 220 out of 222 attempts.

Charlie Beljan is the worst and still has made more than 92% of his attempts.

From 5 to 10 feet the percentage range drops to 72% at the top and 41% at the bottom.

From 10 to 15 feet 40% puts you in the top 10. The average is more like 30%.

Even the best in world only make 15 to 18% between 15 and 25 feet. That is absolutely remarkable to me. I can't believe they make that many putts outside of 15 feet.

These guys do three putt. About once every 4 rounds.

Just looked up some putting stats from the PGA Tour out of curiosity and thought I'd share....

Henrik Stenson is the best putter in the world from within 5 feet and this season he has made 220 out of 222 attempts.

Charlie Beljan is the worst and still has made more than 92% of his attempts.

From 5 to 10 feet the percentage range drops to 72% at the top and 41% at the bottom.

From 10 to 15 feet 40% puts you in the top 10. The average is more like 30%.

Even the best in world only make 15 to 18% between 15 and 25 feet. That is absolutely remarkable to me. I can't believe they make that many putts outside of 15 feet.

These guys do three putt. About once every 4 rounds.

They also putt on near perfect greens that are fast....and so you don't have

to hit the ball hard.....which makes it easier.

No long ago they played on a course that was running only about 8-9 on

the stimp and a little bumpy and they all struggled getting the ball to the

hole and keeping their putts on line.

True, 'Rad. I've always felt like I putt better at really expensive courses like the ones they play every week. The rare opportunities I have had to experience those type greens, I liked them.

But, there is that. They are playing at a different course every week, on different greens. I play at my home course where I should know where the putts break. But, they do have a caddie that expends a lot of time and energy to figure each green out before they play it.

I just wanted to check and see where the best of the world are in putting. Obviously my bar is much lower, but I was curious how much distance effects make percentage.

True, 'Rad. I've always felt like I putt better at really expensive courses like the ones they play every week. The rare opportunities I have had to experience those type greens, I liked them.

But, there that. They are playing at a different course every week, on different greens. I play at my home course where I should know where the putts break. But, they do have a caddie that expends a lot of time and energy to figure each green out before they play it.

I just wanted to check and see where the best of the world are in putting. Obviously my bar is much lower, but I was curious how much distance effects make percentage.

It's useful to an extent but like in most cases comparing our games to

the best in the world is difficult to do.

Did you know the PGA Tour brings their own sand to every course?

You wonder why these guys are so good out of bunkers, lol? They're

great for sure but they get the same sand every week.

Ain't it wonderful!!??

It's been so windy lately my bag has fallen over 3 times lol

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Ain't it wonderful!!??

Oh my, yes! The ten most "gut wrenching" seconds in golf. When your bag falls off the cart or tips over. That brief period of time until one can closely examine "the babies" to see if they're alright. Almost makes one want to consider iron headcovers for those moments. But the boys have told me they prefer to remain unadorned, tempting whatever fate has in store for them by their nakedness.

I sloshed some beer in the nether regions of my khaki pants during last Sunday's scramble. Very embarrassing. The buds thought it was pretty damn funny. I didn't. Thank goodness it was about the 13th hole so things had a chance to dry out a bit before entering the clubhouse post round. Perhaps another reason to always wear dark colored pants/shorts?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Ain't it wonderful!!??

Oh my, yes! The ten most "gut wrenching" seconds in golf. When your bag falls off the cart or tips over. That brief period of time until one can closely examine "the babies" to see if they're alright. Almost makes one want to consider iron headcovers for those moments. But the boys have told me they prefer to remain unadorned, tempting whatever fate has in store for them by their nakedness.

I sloshed some beer in the nether regions of my khaki pants during last Sunday's scramble. Very embarrassing. The buds thought it was pretty damn funny. I didn't. Thank goodness it was about the 13th hole so things had a chance to dry out a bit before entering the clubhouse post round. Perhaps another reason to always wear dark colored pants/shorts?

I used to think like that too Fella, they were jewels, prized possessions even. Now they just tools lol, I didn't even flinch wen I heard my bag fall those times. Meh, just a bunch of sticks I was gonna beat off the ground anyways haha.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

But, there that. They are playing at a different course every week, on different greens. I play at my home course where I should know where the putts break. But, they do have a caddie that expends a lot of time and energy to figure each green out before they play it.

It's useful to an extent but like in most cases comparing our games to

the best in the world is difficult to do.

Did you know the PGA Tour brings their own sand to every course?

You wonder why these guys are so good out of bunkers, lol? They're

great for sure but they get the same sand every week.

Some of the best greens that I play on all year are the ones at the MSU course, Forest Akers West. Being an world renown Turfgrass Management & Research university, the course is something of a laboratory for best practices. Putting on them is like putting on velvet. Really notice a difference with holding a line and speed control. Yeah, think I would see an improvement in putting efficiency if I rolled with these conditions all the time. Maybe.

Bring the Pros to my local public, let them play out of the hard pack sand with the hidden stones conditions that I face and we'll see how they do. While they're b****'in and whine'in to the greens committee about the deplorable conditions, I be making "sandies".

Once you're clubs start to look like this there isn't much left to save but the Faces haha. That's my 7i, it's the worst of them but there are a couple others at this point with some songs and dents and a Very Nice amount a bag chatter at this point in time. This will be their 3rd season in the bag this year :)

Now just for the record, I don't Miss Treat them or anything, I care for them and treat them with respect. But I've come to like the Battle Scarred/Bag Chattered look a lot :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Ain't it wonderful!!??

I used to think like that too Fella, they were jewels, prized possessions even. Now they just tools lol, I didn't even flinch wen I heard my bag fall those times. Meh, just a bunch of sticks I was gonna beat off the ground anyways haha.

I trust you don't so voice this opinion in their presence. Mere tools, "just a bunch of sticks I'm going to beat off the ground". Wasn't it just a few posts back you were expressing concern about how your game has seemingly departed you? Perhaps, therein lies your anser.

Edit Note: Pics above. (Covering eyes and peaking thru fingers.) I have no problem with character marks on my weapons. However, that transcends beyond mere "bag chatter". Just say'n.

The Horror. :swoon:

Ain't it wonderful!!??

I trust you don't so voice this opinion in their presence. Mere tools, "just a bunch of sticks I'm going to beat off the ground". Wasn't it just a few posts back you were expressing concern about how your game has seemingly departed you? Perhaps, therein lies your anser.

Edit Note: Pics above. (Covering eyes and peaking thru fingers.) I have no problem with character marks on my weapons. However, that transcends beyond mere "bag chatter". Just say'n.

The Horror. :swoon:

Haha Its not their fault I can't swing them lately. That's all user error, they know they have done nothing wrong ;)

I'm not exactly sure how that happened TBH, not something I did to them that's for sure(I don't throw or hit clubs into the ground). But I'm sure they will look even worse by the time I wear them out lol. But once I noticed it I stopped being so protective of them that for sure. That was the "they're not new anymore" moment.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I agree that really fast greens are easier to putt. The downside of fast greens is I don't play them often so it's usually the 16th or 17th by the time I'm used to them! More long makes but more three putts.

Wind was ridiculous around here in late March early April. 20 mph with 35 mph gusts for seemingly a three week stretch! I was chipping green side in a flat area, and doing a good job of concentrating when my buddy hollared out a warning. I look up and my cart is on a determined drive towards a deep greenside bunker about 40 feet away. I took off running and managed to snag the back wheel with my wedge but it was too late. The front wheel was already over the edge and the bag spilled hard down into the bunker. A few more character marks!

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing.....

Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...

Your game will get straightened out...you're too good for it not to do so!

The 27.4 lbs of Golf Bag? Thats a sleeper problem for a youngster like you ! No problems......until a few years down the road, your lower back wakes up

and starts asking" WTF are you doing to me " ? LOL....Hang in there bro...this bad bump in the road will pass.!

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

After playing tour balls for several years I played the SuperSoft the past

few years. Great ball IMO and cheap. Last time home I bought 6 dz

ChromeSofts to try out so I guess I'll be playing those for awhile haha.

Geez, I still have a bunch of B330RXS left too though I think that ball

was better before they went to the dimple in dimple cover in 2012.

Titleist finally came out with a ball to compete with the SuperSoft. I

forget the name of it but I want to try it too.

I really like the softer balls these days cause I can compress them

better with an iron and they will spin just fine if you compress them.

To try out? That sounds more like a permanent stash. Have pretty much switched to soft compression balls as well. Primarily Duos. Picked up a doz. Duo Spins to try out this spring. Can't really notice any significant difference between these and the standard version. Can't see where they spin any more or less. So probably won't me paying the $9.00 premium moving forward. The Tiltleist ball is the NXT Tour S, but at $45 per, doubt I'll be buying any.

Brother works at GC in NM (starter, marshall, etc.). Last year, he supplied me with about 4 doz. found Pro V1X balls. Good ball, but probably not entirely suitable for my game and SS. This will probably be a lifetime supply. I'm of the belief that pro V's are a tad over hyped. There are other balls that are every bit as good if not superior to them. I'm not one for paying the $$ for premium balls. With that said, a real sleeper premium ball IMO is the Wilson FG Tours. Played a sleeve of those last year and really liked how they performed. Felt they were a little longer than the Pro V's and every bit as good (maybe even better) around the greens. However, I have so many balls around now, its hard to justify purchasing more.

In theory, makes sense to find a suitable ball and play that one exclusively. Thus gauging performance. Reality is, particularly if not playing so hot, hit whatever comes out of the front line ball pocket.

6 dozen a permanent stash?? LOL, not for me at the rate I lose them.

The new Titleist ball I'm referring to is the DT Trusoft. It's now on my list to try.

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing.....

Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...

I wanted to respond to this Pigs cause I know how you feel bro.

Every time I go home I play with my friends and they play 3-4 times a week.

Now these are older guys that range in age from the 50s to the 60s. They

don't have pretty swings and they play with GI and SGI irons.

I've been out there when they have bad days but most of the time these guys

are shooting in the mid 70s. I just shake my head cause if you saw these guys

swing you wouldn't think they would score so low but they are fairway and

green machines, lol, and when they miss a green they usually get up and

down.

In a way it frustrates me a little cause in my mind I'm thinking if I played as much

as them I would whoop their a**es but the truth is likely I wouldn't cause this

game is hard and they have just grooved their game over many years and

are good at scoring and I am not. I would have to practice my a** off to really

have a chance of whooping them and even then I'm looking at having to play

par golf to do it. Very few golfers can play par golf.....playing the ball down.

I get a little tired of them making excuses for me, lol, saying well I don't get

to play much so don't be hard on myself. I don't really get hard on myself, I

just feel a little behind the 8 ball as most of the time I'm shooting the worst

scores in the group and I want to play better.

It doesn't seem that long ago that I could shoot a 37-39 or so and play

respectable golf but now, honestly, I'm happy if I can keep my score under

45 a side so I can at least stay in the 80s, lol. And I've had a few days where

I got off to such a bad start I told them not even to keep my score and

that is a little embarrassing haha.

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to play well in this game

is to play a lot so that you have your swing and your shots dialed in. There's

just no substitute for actually playing. As my playing time has decreased over

the past several years my scores have gone up. There is a DIRECT relationship.

So play all you can, my friend and play more than you practice....and when you

practice, practice on the course instead of the range whenever you can. Practice

from every awful lie you can.

I think you'll find the more you play the better you will get, regardless of whether

your swing is perfect or not.

One thing I never learned well was how to score. When I was swinging good I

could score decently and but when I was not swinging well I did not have the

scrambling ability to save my score and that is still my problem. I'm very prone

to having big numbers on holes because I don't scramble well. I get myself

into awful places and awful lies and I don't have the shots to save par or even

a bogie sometimes....and I end up with double or triple on a hole when I should

at least make bogie and no worse.

While you have the time right now PLAY PLAY PLAY!! Your game will come around.

^ Good stuff Conrad. Most of all, you have to keep playing to keep your short game in tune. No matter how 'good' you are at it, you have to constantly keep playing and practicing to just sustain it.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

^ Good stuff Conrad. Most of all, you have to keep playing to keep your short game in tune. No matter how 'good' you are at it, you have to constantly keep playing and practicing to just sustain it.

Oh ya. Short game is the first thing to go when you don't play much. My short

game is atrocious. I can't "feel" the shots. I might as well be playing wearing

boxing gloves, lol.

Thanks for all the great tips and advise everyone!! It's really appreciated!! Took today off completely to clear my head, I'll go back at it tomorrow. Just gotta take my time, stay focused and not let bad shots get me off my game. One swing at a time!! :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2