2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well played Monte : )

Nice to see you venture outside of the I & A.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Well played Monte : )

Nice to see you venture outside of the I & A.

He probably just came in to get a few likes, PD. Rumor has it we give them out like candy at a parade. Lol.

Sounds about right.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Fella,

There was a set of Australia Blades (more modern) at a local golf shop I frequent. They were beauties, that I should have traded something for, and had them sent to Continental for refinishing. The thought didn't cross my mind in those (pre-blade experimentation) days.

What is an Australian blade, anyway? This is like the 10th time I have heard that reference, and they aren't usually for the same club line. Do some OEMs actually manufacture in Australia?

TTB, a thread I found investigating AB's. Apparently, the very first version was made in Australia. Post #4 has good info of the timeline:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/170737-the-history-of-australian-blades/

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

One of the reasons why I liked the old Royal Precision/Rifle shafts. They labeled their shafts with a CPM label so one knew what the numbers were, regardless of the shaft band. Were ahead of their time in that regard. Assuming they were accurate, not having a frequency analyzer to verify. The first real build I ever did was using Rifles in a set of SE 600C iron heads. Referencing Golfsmith's Practical Clubmaking Program book by Tom Wishon. He discussed frequency sorting shafts. So when I went to the store to acquire the shafts thats what I did. Did an approximation of flighting, softer in long irons (4.5), regular in mid (5.0) and stiffer in the short irons (5.5). Did I play any better because of this? Probably not. But that wasn't the point of the exercise. Those were a nice set of clubs, should never have sold them for next to nothing.

Because my irons are longer than typical, 6 iron length of 38.5" is my benchmark, the SW creep upwards into the D4 - D8 range depending. Don't futz much with SW's, not especially sensitive to the them, or so far down the list of club fitting considerations as to be relatively inconsequential. Its uncanny how, without any direct calculating or scaling of SW, a typical build (reshaft) falls in the D4 - D6 range. Which is close enough for me. Sometimes I check for verification (if I think about), usually I don't bother other than out of curiosity. Perhaps do to playing a variety of classic irons, one is sort of forced into a "play them as you find them" frame of my mind. Other than extensions and grips on those that will get some degree of play time.

Length, overall club weight (shaft weights in the +/- 100g. range), bend points (i.e tip stiffness), then shaft flex, in that order are more important to how an iron feels than SW.

Stu, you mention those old Hogan wedges. Sort of stumbled into them. But they do feel really nice, just the right amount of heft and balance. Keep finding and trying out various wedges on the cheap. But they just don't feel quite the same as the the old, sort of dinged up, Hogan BeCu Special SI. Have full confidence with it, and I have no idea what the SW is. Another is an old SE 675 SW with a Rifle spinner shaft. Had it for years, just feels right. Can easily put either one in the bag and its just like old times.

I have become intrigued by the MOI concept. At least the "poor man's" version using 3/8" progressions. PD posted about this, and supplied some details, a few pages back. The concept based on progressive swing weighting rather than to a fixed number. I would like to give this a go at some future point. The modern irons are being jettisoned, and shopping for something different (know the direction I'm headed). Wouldn't mind finding something that would require a reshaft. If so, may try the MOI method. Will I be a better player with them? YTBD, probably not. But again, that's not necessarily the point of the exercise.

UHH huuh. Now I know your club building background. I knew you had good "upbringing" from some of your previous posts over in classics. That Malty/Wishon book is one I learned from in my "rookie days" so you got the same great foundation education I got and like me gained knowledge and built your club skills off of it.

Yep I like the progressive set thing with different shafts for different clubs. My VIPs are delibertly engineered like that. Some of these proper folks would look at my set as a whole and say WTH? The wedges have different shafts and grips from the main irons. My 2 &3 irons have different shafts from the main set. But they feel and hit good for me. Oh yeah given the real proper equipment I can engineer a perfect set as good as any one else I feel. I think I do it ok with my old school home made deflection board and a good eye and feel

As far as the Hogan BECU wedge sounds like it feels and plays great for you actually in some circles they are very sought after wedges. They did have good balance out of the box. I would not absolutely not worry about the swing weight on it because it hits good for you. Swing weight and this is a fact does not tell the whole story on the performance and balance of the club. With your background and old school ways you know you can do some funky stuff with shafts on a club and trick up some feels and flexes.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Alright you bladeaholics. Found these today at my local pro shop (Salvation Army). Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades (3 - PW), TT Dynamic (S). Near as I can determine, '81 - '83 version. Played very little, great shape. Had to pay a premium because it wasn't senior discount day. Was kinda hope'in they would have been a partial so I wouldn't have been obligated to buy them.

No idea how they will play, look rather sinister. Have a feeling these aren't for sissy's. But the Physics sez.......Buttah!

Also, a DeChambeau chapeau.

Those are good blades there Fella. Remember there was a guy over on the classics that played a set of those. I think his name was Resnor or something like that. I sent him a PW to match one of his sets. I had a set of them at one time I do remember they are not very forgiving when you mishit them. That is a jam up find.

You crazy PD. The thermo currently reads 32* (0* C) and it's not that far away from where you're located. At least the sun is out.

Perfect day to game the blades. Eh? Play as well as possible, given the conditions.

Finished in 2 1/2 hours. A group of four twenty-somethings was teeing off at the first when I was walking off the 18th. Two of them were in short sleeve shirts and I was walking by them with a balaclava and three layers on. The car read 4* when I left, but with the 25+ km/h winds it felt much colder.

I only brought a VIP 9 iron and carried my 560s. I was looking for the vibration dampening of graphite shafts. I did hit the 9 iron a handful of times and it didn't feel bad in the colder weather. I didn't hit a toe shot so there wasn't any 'teeth chattering' shots.

99% hardcore not quite 100% You should have carried the VIP 2 or 3 iron so when you mishit one in that cold you could really feel that vibration and sting that is real golf :taunt:

Have been in the hospital with bacterial bronchitis, antibiotics doing nothing so far, coughing my brains out (well, I think they're gone).. Then had to reformat my computer. Also may miss the first night of my golf league on Tuesday due to feeling so bad. Other than that, things are just peachy. I really hope none of you get this, it's really going around in this area...

OH man I hate to hear that hope for a speedy recovery. Down here this year it has been the pollen. I know this sounds funny but we have not had any serious rain for a month now and the pollen is still going pretty strong. As I have gotten older it has bothered me worse especially the pine tree pollen. It is not bad enough for me yet that I need meds but my DR wants me to stay off the allergins to keep from running my BP back up. Still on my BP meds and what I call my "PP pill" that gets the excess sodium out of me. And yes I am on a restricted sodium diet also. Other than the pollen sneeze and runny nose I am loosing weight and feeling better and my BP is good. I will put you on my prayer list for this morning

Pigs what course is that? I'm sure you've said and I missed it but frankly if we're being honest I'm too lazy to track al the way through. Looks awesome.

The course is Granite Springs GC, Prospect NS. - http://www.granitespringsgolf.com/

A small course at only 6401 from the Tips but hard on a day when youre not swinging well. I think the rating/slope is 90/144

Looks like a beautiful course. Tree lined. Never heard a rating at 90, just sayin.' Maybe confused on the exchange :)

My bad haha, 70/144 lol

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Went to a demo day today. They actually had some lefty stuff. The Nike rep worked with me a bunch getting the Vapor driver to feel right. Finally got it tuned in with a 70 gram Diamana shaft in X-stiff. Lol. I handed it back to the guy and pointed out that his driver now has some ghost prints from the ball in the center of the face. I winked and smiled. Whoever had been hitting it left quite a few marks on the heel. And I'm not talking slightly off center.

I know.....I'm an arse. Hey, I smiled when I said it. :D

The club that really surprised me was the Callaway Apex pro forged iron. They had a lefty 7i w/project x 6.0. It felt NICE!!! It was smaller than I thought it would be and little offset. I went and got my MP68 7i and compared them. At address you couldn't tell them apart.

Had the Callaway rep take the plastic off the 58* wedge. I hit a bunch of balls with that including about 5 out of divots. Hit them well. I handed it back to him full of dirt and told him "nice wedge. I can tell a good wedge when I can dig the ball out of divots" :D Told him I'd clean it up but he said he'd get it.

The guy next to me ask me what loft I had. I had just hit an open face floater. He told me I hit it really high. I explained that I opened the face and did it on purpose. LMAO! It was about 80 ft in the air and went about 30 yards.

Had some compliments on my swing from the gallery. When I noticed people watching, I'd move on. Finally went down to the end of the range when I got the wedge.

The Cobra LTD driver really surprised me. Was hitting nice little cuts with it. Nice trajectory. I think it had an Ozik shaft but I didn't pay attention which one. Loving my 815 DBD to even think about a driver.

I seen some plaid shorts and white belts. I had on a cheap tshirt, ratty cargo shorts and my mainstay....blue Mizuno ballcap. Lol. Let my ballflight make up for attire. LMAO!!

That's all I got.

Oh yeah, I bought the Drive4Dough video the other day. I don't want to sound like the guys that are willing to "toss Monte's salad" but I'm only an hour into the video (like 4hrs long) and it's good. Simple with detail and a lot of info. It was done really well.

Okay, that's all I got.

I guess those yuppie golfers learned do not play a man for money that has on ragged cargo shorts and especially a ragged Mizuno hat. Love it right up my alley. Yesterday I did a trade possibly a deal of the century ( I will post pics later) I traded for a set of Mac Muirfields that have been re chromes and a set of old Mac FC-4000s PT-2s that had been rechromed (sadly lost the ceramic face in the process). Anyhow my buddy Bo Bear and the Miura dealer and I were on the range yesterday messing with them before we played. I was rocketing that Muirfield 2 iron and Bo Bear asks "what are you hitting there?" I told him the 2 iron. Now the range (and course) was full of tourist hacks dressed to the nines with the newest greatest. When I replied 2 iron to him it was like half of the range stopped like I had threatened to harm the Pope or something. This one guy beside me stopped and looked as I hit several balls. He finally asked is that a 2 iron? Yep I replied and showed him. OMG he replied and it is a blade too as if I was Lizzie Borden holding the murder ax. He then asked the classic dumb question. Why on earth would you be hitting a 2 iron? I told him my classic answer Because I still CAN! The Miura dealer chuckled and said I knew that was coming! But of course the Miura dealer is around 70 years old and is a great player himself and he grabbed it and hit it too and I might add excellently for his age about 170 or so with a little draw. I guess it was shocking that a fat long haired old fart was hitting a blade 2 iron. Lets see I was wearing some of my numerous gray shorts and a sorta pink golf shirt (but it was a Norman rescued from Goodwill) and a ragged World Tour Golf Links visor and my multi colored Nike golf shoes with the pink laces and no socks and no ankle braces. I guess the whole deal was traumatic to some. I ended up putting the Muirfields in play for the first 9 but I knew the shafts were too stiff for me. They are not banded but the shaft is a TT from what I can tell and either a very stiffed tipped S-300 or a S-400. They also have the old GP Crown cords on them with built to midsize so the whole set up is heavy. I hit them good though but felt myself jumping on them. The Miura dealer came out about #7 to see how I was hitting them so he said I knew he really came out with one of his cronies because he bet him that I would have them lead taped some already. Nope I did not I told him they are too heavy now like they are. He watched me on #7 which is a par 3. I hit the green but he observed yep that is too much shaft for you. He told me give me your truck keys and he went up and got my VIPs out of the truck and met me at the turn. Heck the guys I was playing with Bo Bear and my boss man we were playing for fun any how so it did not matter. I did manage to shoot 38 (+2) on that side. with those things. Yep they are going to get a rebuild. The FC-4000s I did not attempt to hit because they have the original rebar Pro-Pel 2 shafts in them like my others but have the original leather wrap grips which need to be restored. Like I said I will post pics later

Went to a demo day today. They actually had some lefty stuff. The Nike rep worked with me a bunch getting the Vapor driver to feel right. Finally got it tuned in with a 70 gram Diamana shaft in X-stiff. Lol. I handed it back to the guy and pointed out that his driver now has some ghost prints from the ball in the center of the face. I winked and smiled. Whoever had been hitting it left quite a few marks on the heel. And I'm not talking slightly off center.

I know.....I'm an arse. Hey, I smiled when I said it. :D

The club that really surprised me was the Callaway Apex pro forged iron. They had a lefty 7i w/project x 6.0. It felt NICE!!! It was smaller than I thought it would be and little offset. I went and got my MP68 7i and compared them. At address you couldn't tell them apart.

Had the Callaway rep take the plastic off the 58* wedge. I hit a bunch of balls with that including about 5 out of divots. Hit them well. I handed it back to him full of dirt and told him "nice wedge. I can tell a good wedge when I can dig the ball out of divots" :D Told him I'd clean it up but he said he'd get it.

The guy next to me ask me what loft I had. I had just hit an open face floater. He told me I hit it really high. I explained that I opened the face and did it on purpose. LMAO! It was about 80 ft in the air and went about 30 yards.

Had some compliments on my swing from the gallery. When I noticed people watching, I'd move on. Finally went down to the end of the range when I got the wedge.

The Cobra LTD driver really surprised me. Was hitting nice little cuts with it. Nice trajectory. I think it had an Ozik shaft but I didn't pay attention which one. Loving my 815 DBD to even think about a driver.

I seen some plaid shorts and white belts. I had on a cheap tshirt, ratty cargo shorts and my mainstay....blue Mizuno ballcap. Lol. Let my ballflight make up for attire. LMAO!!

That's all I got.

Oh yeah, I bought the Drive4Dough video the other day. I don't want to sound like the guys that are willing to "toss Monte's salad" but I'm only an hour into the video (like 4hrs long) and it's good. Simple with detail and a lot of info. It was done really well.

Okay, that's all I got.

Drawing a gallery eh??? Nice. I better get my game in order if I'm gonna

play with a guy that draws a gallery. :crazy:

Ok, it wasn't really a gallery. A few guys said "nice swing" or "you hit that nice". They were probably just surprised that I could make contact...the way I was dressed and all. LMAO!!!

I played with a guy the other day that commented on the sweet dull thud the 68s made when I hit them. I was gonna lay some Deninnionian blade physics on him then explain how the 68s are forged from the same steel as the katanas of the ancient samurai. But instead, I just said "yeah, I like 'em". ;)

No one said that to me when I had the blades in the bag. They said "what

are you doing with those in the bag?"

Tee heee heee you are getting there prepare yourself you will get it all the time. Another Stubladeism of wisdom. They only make 3 types of great blades and all start with M---- Macgregor Mizuno and of course Miura

Stu, thx for the accolade. I've picked up many a tip from your "redneck engineering" postings. You've forgotten more about club tinkering than I'll ever know. But I continue trying different things. Flying by the seat of my pants. Doesn't have to be always done by data points IMO.

Congrats on the "Deal of the Century". Look forward to the pics. And another in the long line of Stu stories that make me smile and chuckle. Have this vision of you "traumatizing" the range with your natty attire waving around a 2 iron. LOL.

I realize this falls counter to your three "M" lexicon of great blades, but have to throw in an H.......Hogans. Is there a more perfect design than a set of '53 Precisions? Sure would like to hit one of those someday.

I've been remiss, get well quickly SSP. But don't push it until you're back to being 100%. Don't want a relapse.

Getting mentally prepared for the big Spring Scramble with the "Usual Suspects" golf buds today. Pumped. We've won it the last two years, hauling in the $ (not really big money but enough to cover expenses). We were called "ringers" last year, four 60 somethings. LOL, never been called a ringer before. Rather liked it!

Spending the morning finalizing the bag. What clubs to play. In: Titleist 905T Driver, hitting it better than the G25. '99 Apexs, ringer irons. V-steel 3W, course is longer with some tight driving holes, can use it off the tee on several holes. SE 650T 7W, always in the bag. Hogan BeCu SI, reliable. A new (old) Maltby 53* wedge that I found recently, fills in a gap after the E. And a recently thrifted acquisition, a 60* Scratch lob. Some elevation around the greens on the course that can make this club useful. Putter, probably a game time decision between the Ping BeCu Zing 2 or Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5. Whatever one has the mojo on the putting green pre-round. Ball, Wilson Duo Spin. Now to decide on the apparel choices for the day. Thinking a Gary Player all black look, for the intimidation factor.

Going to be chilly to start, only 48* or so. But sunny. Gotta get there early to warmup a bit. Flash 'em the blades. Have to uphold the "Pros from Dover" image.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Sixty, get well soon!

Fella, and Big Stu, nice finds and trades!

Thug, nice shooting!

Pigems, You're right that the index is the average (times the reducer of .96) of the lowest 10 of 20, but you can establish with as low as 10 because it would be 10 of 10.

I don't frequent our Goldwill often enough. My mom is actually very into going to rummage sales and I told her the other day to buy any club with a hickory shaft for under $15 and any other clubs if the set was complete and it was less than $25 or individual irons for $2 or less. She knows nothing about golf clubs and doesn't want to learn so it's hard to make fast rules. Any putter less than $5.

Anybody ever noticed this guy sells hickory replacement shafts for $20 a shaft.

http://thehickorygol...com/?page_id=87

What are the chances I'd ever find a set of lefty heads? 1 in 1,000,000? DeNinja is that 1.0 x 10^6?

Sixty, get well soon!

Thug, nice shooting!

Pigems, You're right that the index is the average (times the reducer of .96) of the lowest 10 of 20, but you can establish with as low as 10 because it would be 10 of 10.

I don't frequent our Goldwill often enough. My mom is actually very into going to rummage sales and I told her the other day to buy any club with a hickory shaft for under $15 and any other clubs if the set was complete and it was less than $25 or individual irons for $2 or less. She knows nothing about golf clubs and doesn't want to learn so it's hard to make fast rules. Any putter less than $5.

What are the chances I'd ever find a set of lefty heads? 1 in 1,000,000? DeNinja is that 1.0 x 10^6?

Just to nitpick, it's 1.0 x 10^(-6).

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Stu, thx for the accolade. I've picked up many a tip from your "redneck engineering" postings. You've forgotten more about club tinkering than I'll ever know. But I continue trying different things. Flying by the seat of my pants. Doesn't have to be always done by data points IMO.

Congrats on the "Deal of the Century". Look forward to the pics. And another in the long line of Stu stories that make me smile and chuckle. Have this vision of you "traumatizing" the range with your natty attire waving around a 2 iron. LOL.

I realize this falls counter to your three "M" lexicon of great blades, but have to throw in an H.......Hogans. Is there a more perfect design than a set of '53 Precisions? Sure would like to hit one of those someday.

I've been remiss, get well quickly SSP. But don't push it until you're back to being 100%. Don't want a relapse.

Getting mentally prepared for the big Spring Scramble with the "Usual Suspects" golf buds today. Pumped. We've won it the last two years, hauling in the $ (not really big money but enough to cover expenses). We were called "ringers" last year, four 60 somethings. LOL, never been called a ringer before. Rather liked it!

Spending the morning finalizing the bag. What clubs to play. In: Titleist 905T Driver, hitting it better than the G25. '99 Apexs, ringer irons. V-steel 3W, course is longer with some tight driving holes, can use it off the tee on several holes. SE 650T 7W, always in the bag. Hogan BeCu SI, reliable. A new (old) Maltby 53* wedge that I found recently, fills in a gap after the E. And a recently thrifted acquisition, a 60* Scratch lob. Some elevation around the greens on the course that can make this club useful. Putter, probably a game time decision between the Ping BeCu Zing 2 or Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5. Whatever one has the mojo on the putting green pre-round. Ball, Wilson Duo Spin. Now to decide on the apparel choices for the day. Thinking a Gary Player all black look, for the intimidation factor.

Going to be chilly to start, only 48* or so. But sunny. Gotta get there early to warmup a bit. Flash 'em the blades. Have to uphold the "Pros from Dover" image.

LOL you got me there Fella but then again you are always sharp! I did not mean to forget Hogans and yes they are great too especially the wedges as you have heard me say many times. The "3 M Thing" just seems catchy and that is why I say it. The Miura dealer is a great guy and a great friend of mine and I made that crack and he said "Amen brother preach that forged blade gospel to the masses" He turned around and told the masses "we do not have him on the exact team yet but at least he hits forged Macgregor blades and he is right on the 3M thing too"

My hear grew heavy last week when I heard of the passing of Prince. My teenage years coincided with the early 80s so MJ and Prince were two of the biggies in that era. The release of the Thriller album and the movie and soundtrack to Purple Rain were huge.

I received a text from my oldest daughter the other day that simply said "Dad, thanks for making me listen to Raspberry Beret".

So many great songs. The talent was great and his musicianship was often overlooked. He played so many instruments and was a guitar virtuoso.

RIP Prince Rogers Nelson.

Ok guys my club deal is up over on the Classics forum under Deal of the Century with the details I will give you a taste on here but sorry do not know how to link up but will post you guys a couple of pics

First Pic Macgergor Nicklaus Muirfields not 20th Ann ones though they are just like my beloved VIPs but have a more rounded toe

Second Pic CF-4000s PT-2 on restoration the did away with the ceramic faces but the overall job and the original shafts ferules and grips make up for it

Sixty, get well soon!

Thug, nice shooting!

Get her to do what my wife does when thrifting take pics and send to you. My wife knows some and will buy without asking if she is in doubt she will send me a pic with a text detail. Man technology is great!

My hear grew heavy last week when I heard of the passing of Prince. My teenage years coincided with the early 80s so MJ and Prince were two of the biggies in that era. The release of the Thriller album and the movie and soundtrack to Purple Rain were huge.

I received a text from my oldest daughter the other day that simply said "Dad, thanks for making me listen to Raspberry Beret".

So many great songs. The talent was great and his musicianship was often overlooked. He played so many instruments and was a guitar virtuoso.

RIP Prince Rogers Nelson.

Huge fan here too. OMFG he shredded electric guitar as good as anyone from any era. And let's not forget his songwriting. He wrote so many hits that just made other artists.

"Mommy, why does everybody have a bomb?"

^ Best line ever.

Registered Bladeocrat

Interesting observation from the scramble yesterday....

I'm not a long hitter, especially for a 40 year old man, but I'm not that big either at 5'9" and 165 pounds. Our men's club skews towards the older player, so often one of the things I don't like about the scrambles is being the longest guy in the group. There's a lot more pressure as the other three guys want to use my drive as often as possible. And, I don't want to mishit one into the rough or bunker and have to move back to hit one of my playing partners balls, so that's part of the reason I don't like playing scrambles very much. Anyways, we have three or four big risk reward drives at our course. These are shots I never play in straight stroke play, as the increased chance at birdie is negated by the possibility of losing a ball or rinsing it. I usually play a urethane ball although I shop for deals they're still not cheap. A month or two ago I picked up an 18 pack of Noodles just for these scrambles.

Yesterday, our tournament chair said he doesn't care if we play different balls for different shots, so I hit Noodle off the tee all day and a ProV1X off the fairway and on the green. So, according to my logic, after watching the Noodle fly off the tee all day, the flight was higher, the ball flew much straighter, and if I hit a cut it was much longer and if I hit a draw it was much shorter (12 to 15 yards). I'm assuming all of those qualities are from being very low spin and low compression. I love the marshmellow feel off the tee, BTW. So, I think I'm in the right golf ball for me, as I usually play the lower spin urethane ball from Nike or Titleist, but I'm starting to wish Callaway had not changed that Chrome Soft. On second thought that new one might work for me under the right conditions. Our greens were super receptive when I tried it and I spun it too much, but a crusty green it might be perfect, one hop stop.

Are you guys picky about your golf ball?

Matt J I am picky about ball performance and feel. I like anything like a prov1 or prov1x. This is because I like the greenside spin and feel of them. I am picky in that I will only play money games with balls like this.

That said, I just have to get used to whatever ball I play. If I play a two piece ball like a Mojo or e6, I just learn to play for more run out. But I don't like to have to adjust my game for a different ball so I play prov1/v1x "like" balls all the time.

Registered Bladeocrat

Interesting observation from the scramble yesterday....

I'm not a long hitter, especially for a 40 year old man, but I'm not that big either at 5'9" and 165 pounds. Our men's club skews towards the older player, so often one of the things I don't like about the scrambles is being the longest guy in the group. There's a lot more pressure as the other three guys want to use my drive as often as possible. And, I don't want to mishit one into the rough or bunker and have to move back to hit one of my playing partners balls, so that's part of the reason I don't like playing scrambles very much. Anyways, we have three or four big risk reward drives at our course. These are shots I never play in straight stroke play, as the increased chance at birdie is negated by the possibility of losing a ball or rinsing it. I usually play a urethane ball although I shop for deals they're still not cheap. A month or two ago I picked up an 18 pack of Noodles just for these scrambles.

Yesterday, our tournament chair said he doesn't care if we play different balls for different shots, so I hit Noodle off the tee all day and a ProV1X off the fairway and on the green. So, according to my logic, after watching the Noodle fly off the tee all day, the flight was higher, the ball flew much straighter, and if I hit a cut it was much longer and if I hit a draw it was much shorter (12 to 15 yards). I'm assuming all of those qualities are from being very low spin and low compression. I love the marshmellow feel off the tee, BTW. So, I think I'm in the right golf ball for me, as I usually play the lower spin urethane ball from Nike or Titleist, but I'm starting to wish Callaway had not changed that Chrome Soft. On second thought that new one might work for me under the right conditions. Our greens were super receptive when I tried it and I spun it too much, but a crusty green it might be perfect, one hop stop.

Are you guys picky about your golf ball?

Am I picky about my golf ball? Hmmm. Lol. I shouldn't be but, yeah. Prov1x....and I buy them new.

I'm open minded enough to try other stuff. Tried the Duo a while back. It ballooned on me off the driver. Felt okay then about 200 out it would go straight up and straight down. Tried the TMAG TP. It was okay. Will probably try the TPX at some point this year. I used to love the original TMAG Penta and TP Black. Of course, they changed the names and I was done. Callaway Hex Back was good. Never tried the Chrome soft. Callaway had a ton of releases with the SR and Chrome soft plus, there were still the Hex line still on the shelf. I got confused and quit the Callaways like the TMAGS. I used to play the Nike One Platinum. They changed them. Quit playing Nike. Bought some B330s last year. They were okay.

Long story short. I always go back to the Prov1x. I've had good rounds with the....wait for it....Pinnacle Golds. Lol. But.....

I get asked to play in scrambles now and then. People think I hit it long and that I putt well. Truth is, I'm not long and my putting is streaky. But, by comparison to who I'm usually playing with, it's pretty good. Lol. A few times a round during these scrambles someone will tattoo a drive and get really proud that they're 20 yards passed me. LMAO. Duh. I'm not a bomber.

I used to hate scrambles because I tend to overswing but the last few years I just play as normally as possible so I don't have to Defrag my swing.

Love it ^^^^^^^ thanks MC and Ninja for playing.

I like the "defrag" comment. My driver is usually very consistent, probably part of the reason I'm not that long as I like to shape it off the tee and would rather have a longer shot from the short grass. So, the double cross drives me nuts, but lately I've been less aggressive with aiming for the draw as I think all the low spin gear makes it knuckle out. It used to drive me crazy, now I just play it, the knuckle ball fade.

Yesterday, warming up, I noticed that my normally "compact" backswing might have gotten a little too compact. I started focusing on a slower tempo and longer backswing, especially on the high draw. I think I wasn't giving my hands a chance to catch up and was creating too much lag and too open of a club face at impact. Anyways, it worked. Great. I didn't fixate on it, but just let that be my swing thought for as long as it worked.

We had a "horse race" at the end of the scramble. I had never done it before, was weird but kind of fun. I was the "B" player so I drove on the second hole. Probably my best tee ball of the day. Good to keep it working in front of an audience. Everyone was chiding me, "you always been left-handed," "when they going to let you be an 'A' player," etc. - I never saw the ball, but knew I crushed it. I could tell from the audience reaction that it was good. It got kind of quiet, no ooohs and aaahs like it was headed for the water right or the trees left, just a few solid, "nice ball" comments. Walked out to the fairway and had surprised myself even. Good not to let the team down!

Except for 1 guest, I'm alone on here. All caught up, some 20+ pages.

Hit a large bucket yesterday, (125 balls) it's wise not to overdo it, although, as of this late afternoon, I realized I have muscles I forgot I had.

I'll be playing this year, finally, just not as much as the last ten years. Instead of a membership, I bought a package at a local driving range that has a complete set-up for short game, 300+ spots turf range and a 14 hole executive course (9 par 3, 2 par 4)

I've spent the passed 3/4 years playing mostly executive courses, they really help to sharpen your short game for sure!! Welcome back M :)

THX Pigs,

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I find a lot of golf balls (a byproduct of being the first out on an empty course). Early in the season I put the good balls into play and then switch to the 12 (or so) dozen 3 piece (or more) urethane balls I have in stock. This year will be a combo of Maxfli U3/U4/U6, Gamer Tours, and FG Tours (and a few others). Never been smitten with Pro Vs as I don't believe their performance warrants their price. Not when other 'Tour' balls can be had for less than $30 a dozen.

Here are my recent finds

I'm going to try to trade in the extra for buckets of balls at the range this year.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Except for 1 guest, I'm alone on here. All caught up, some 20+ pages.

Hit a large bucket yesterday, (125 balls) it's wise not to overdo it, although, as of this late afternoon, I realized I have muscles I forgot I had.

I'll be playing this year, finally, just not as much as the last ten years. Instead of a membership, I bought a package at a local driving range that has a complete set-up for short game, 300+ spots turf range and a 14 hole executive course (9 par 3, 2 par 4)

Welcome back Mdg!! I'm glad you're gonna get some playing time.

Hahaha,

In my haste, I forgot that 9+2=11, not 14. Fixed mine, can't fix yours. :to_become_senile:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Stu,

Those irons are gorgeous. You had me trolling eBay looking at J.N. forged Macs today.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*