Garmin S20 GPS Watch

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too was very interested in purchasing an S20 before seeing all the negative posts on this thread. Would it make sense to purchase it now and only use it for GPS and wait to use Autoshot until they update the software for bug fixes?

That's what I'm getting out of it.

Is the consensus that if you're using this for yardages to hazards/GPS, then this product is worth getting. If you're looking to get this to use AutoShot or phone notifications, then hold off for a software update?

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Just bought an s2, only need basic info...........................Was tempted by the s20 but after reading this I'm glad I didn't buy a s20

The s2 replaced an S1 that was starting to have issues with picking up satellites, had an s3 but didn't like the touchscreen

I was thinking of purchasing an s2 instead too, but at a similar price point, the s20 has a lot more features and potential. It may be worth the extra $40 if they fix the issues with autoshot,

To you guys new to this thread, the F/B/M work flawlessly. I don't mess too much with hazards/layups (play the same course a lot), but seemed to work OK when I did try them. Scorekeeping works OK, and Autoshot seems to work with everything else turned off.

I think this will be a great watch once they get everything worked out, but I'm not a shill for Garmin. I like it as an "everyday watch" (but think they could've added a louder alarm and some basic "watch" functions like stopwatch/timer). I had an S4 for $179, and returned it for this for $199. I didn't like how big the S4 was on my wrist, didn't care about "touch" functions, and for $20 more for the possible extra functions, I figured it was a no-brainer.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

To you guys new to this thread, the F/B/M work flawlessly. I don't mess too much with hazards/layups (play the same course a lot), but seemed to work OK when I did try them. Scorekeeping works OK, and Autoshot seems to work with everything else turned off.

I think this will be a great watch once they get everything worked out, but I'm not a shill for Garmin. I like it as an "everyday watch" (but think they could've added a louder alarm and some basic "watch" functions like stopwatch/timer). I had an S4 for $179, and returned it for this for $199. I didn't like how big the S4 was on my wrist, didn't care about "touch" functions, and for $20 more for the possible extra functions, I figured it was a no-brainer.

And, the battery life is phenomenal. I like the non-color for viewing in the sun - think kindle v tablet... Bottom line, for $199, you will be hard pressed to find better. I trust the buggy stuff all have mentioned will be addressed eventually, but I will be OK if it doesn't because what works well is worth the price of admission.

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X

And, the battery life is phenomenal. I like the non-color for viewing in the sun - think kindle v tablet... Bottom line, for $199, you will be hard pressed to find better. I trust the buggy stuff all have mentioned will be addressed eventually, but I will be OK if it doesn't because what works well is worth the price of admission.

Battery life IS phenomenal! One of my biggest selling points even if it only does F/M/B. I wear it every day and can go weeks without recharging, and get a round or 2 of golf from it.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

That's my thought with this after reading the previous pages. I was playing a course this weekend I wasn't too familiar with and I would have liked hazard distances. My S2 was lacking there.

I play better with a watch than I do my rangefinder.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

That's my thought with this after reading the previous pages. I was playing a course this weekend I wasn't too familiar with and I would have liked hazard distances. My S2 was lacking there.

I have been searching for a device that provides GPS info with club distance. I was set on the s20 until I came across this thread. My alternative would be a rangefinder paired with Game Golf. Would you mind telling me why you like using this more than rangefinder?

I have been searching for a device that provides GPS info with club distance. I was set on the s20 until I came across this thread. My alternative would be a rangefinder paired with Game Golf. Would you mind telling me why you like using this more than rangefinder?

I use Game Golf so I have no use for the AutoShot feature as it is right now.

With the rangefinder, I find myself trying to play to the yardage exactly too often instead of aiming for the correct portion of a green. I find I hit more GIR and score better with just a Front/Middle/Back distance.

The biggest downside of my current S2 is that I don't get distances to fairway bunkers or other hazards.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Got my S20 a couple of days ago...plan on testing it out on the course tomorrow. Everything else on it seems to be working fine except for one thing...has anyone gotten the sunrise/sunset feature to work on the main screen?

Cycle through the "up" button when on the main screen.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Got my S20 a couple of days ago...plan on testing it out on the course tomorrow. Everything else on it seems to be working fine except for one thing...has anyone gotten the sunrise/sunset feature to work on the main screen?

yes. it works nicely and was accurate when I used it.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Cycle through the "up" button when on the main screen.

Chief, I know how to get to it, but mine is not updating. There is no time in those areas.

I have been watching this thread the last few days really hoping for some good news. I really want this watch to be as good as the hype.

don't know if this helps or not but just saw the following on Amazon:

"i have recently purchased a Garmin approach s20 golf but it has loads of issues.

1. Garmin connect mobile does not show any stats and has not done so for a while (not a watch fault but takes away from having the watch)

2. when you have the S20 connected with your phone via Bluetooth it will delete the round. You must NOT have it connected with your phone via Bluetooth but that takes away from the notification feature on the watch (is known by Garmin they said don't connect with phone until they sort it)

3. i have uploaded my clubs via Gear in connect to my watch. When i play a shot on the course the auto shot asks me which club i used which i input. however once i save the round and download the info via Garmin express onto connect and view my round and the AutoShot round analyser on the web site it show different clubs than what i inputed so i have to change it all again if i can remember which club i used.

The watch itself is good however loads of bugs with it.

it looks like Garmin just threw it out to market without fully testing everything. i was going to purchase the Truswing but not now as disappointed.

anyone else having the same issues

]Joshua from Garmin says:

Thank you so much for the thorough review. In the last 2 hours or so, we released a new software update (2.40) for the S20. I'm happy to tell you that this update should correct the issues you described in points 2 & 3 (scorecards not uploading and the incorrect club being assigned when using the Club Tracker).

As for the trouble you've experienced with Garmin Connect Mobile, I don't see any specific issues about that. Please contact our tech support team and report this to them so they can troubleshoot and/or open a support ticket for further investigation: www.garmin.com/support

Thanks again for your honest feedback. Our goal is to give you a five-star experience, so please let our support team know what we can do to make that happen.

Will be very interested to see if the software update fixes any of the problems that everyone has been talking about on the previous 7 pages.

I have been watching this thread the last few days really hoping for some good news. I really want this watch to be as good as the hype.

"i have recently purchased a Garmin approach s20 golf but it has loads of issues.

1. Garmin connect mobile does not show any stats and has not done so for a while (not a watch fault but takes away from having the watch)

2. when you have the S20 connected with your phone via Bluetooth it will delete the round. You must NOT have it connected with your phone via Bluetooth but that takes away from the notification feature on the watch (is known by Garmin they said don't connect with phone until they sort it)

3. i have uploaded my clubs via Gear in connect to my watch. When i play a shot on the course the auto shot asks me which club i used which i input. however once i save the round and download the info via Garmin express onto connect and view my round and the AutoShot round analyser on the web site it show different clubs than what i inputed so i have to change it all again if i can remember which club i used.

it looks like Garmin just threw it out to market without fully testing everything. i was going to purchase the Truswing but not now as disappointed.

Thank you so much for the thorough review. In the last 2 hours or so, we released a new software update (2.40) for the S20. I'm happy to tell you that this update should correct the issues you described in points 2 & 3 (scorecards not uploading and the incorrect club being assigned when using the Club Tracker).

As for the trouble you've experienced with Garmin Connect Mobile, I don't see any specific issues about that. Please contact our tech support team and report this to them so they can troubleshoot and/or open a support ticket for further investigation: www.garmin.com/support

Thanks again for your honest feedback. Our goal is to give you a five-star experience, so please let our support team know what we can do to make that happen.

Will be very interested to see if the software update fixes any of the problems that everyone has been talking about on the previous 7 pages.

Sounds very promising

I saw that there was this update available after my round yesterday. Unfortunately it had already deleted my data. I'm planning on playing tomorrow so hopefully this update fixes everything. Oh by the way, yesterday was the first time I used the S20 on a real course and it only missed one shot, a driver (which one would think would be the easiest to detect).

Okay... just updated software to v2.40. Playing this Sat & Sun so let's see what happens.

Edit: Any word on being able to edit shots after the round? Really need to be able to add the swings Autoshot missed.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Picked up the S20 after work today and updated to the latest software. Went into one of the courses I play regularly and the hazards are exactly what I needed.

We'll see how it goes this weekend.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Picked up the S20 after work today and updated to the latest software. Went into one of the courses I play regularly and the hazards are exactly what I needed.

We'll see how it goes this weekend.

Keep us posted how it works for you CactusGolf

Will do. Ended up cancelling our tee time for tomorrow. Looks cold and rainy.

I'm wearing it as my watch today and it looks okay, but probably won't replace my everyday watches.

I have noticed that text messages from the iPhone come through truncated to one line and I can't scroll down further, but from Android, I can scroll down no problem.

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

I went out yesterday using latest s/w. All seem good now. When I got home I sync with garmin software and scorecard and auto shot works except one hole where autoshop didn't record anything. This may have been me?? I was able to edit the clubs used with the s/w on the map overlay screen. Overall I'm very happy. I bought the s20 to replace a s3 which didn't have hazard details and annoyed me having to swipe my finger across screen multiple time to unlock screen.

I went out yesterday using latest s/w. All seem good now. When I got home I sync with garmin software and scorecard and auto shot works except one hole where autoshop didn't record anything. This may have been me?? I was able to edit the clubs used with the s/w on the map overlay screen. Overall I'm very happy. I bought the s20 to replace a s3 which didn't have hazard details and annoyed me having to swipe my finger across screen multiple time to unlock screen.

Nice to hear.

I've used the watch now for 2 rounds...I like it a lot. Especially when I remember to actually track my shots. LOL A couple of things I'm not too happy about it:

1. The ability to edit or correct your scorecard after your save it. I know you can go in and edit the clubs, but if it doesn't track one hole, there is no way to go back in and add it to the scorecard.

2. I also have a Garmin XT920 running watch...with the 920 you can turn off the audible notifications and get vibrating notifications. This is my morning alarm so as not to wake up the wife. Would love to have that on this watch.

Still a great watch.

Glad to see software updates are resolving issues. A couple questions... 1.Have any of you used the Garmin vivovit and how does this compare as a fitness monitor? Can you upload and view fitness info on computer or app?

2. Could you play a round and get front, middle, back yardages without ever having to push any buttons?

3. To access hazard data how many button pushes does it require? Does it automatically return to hole view?

Thank you