2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Garmin S20 GPS Watch

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had mine since Friday. Only tested the activity tracking stuff so far, but it has been abysmal. I've updated the firmware, but after suffering from connection errors I'm now able to "succesfully" connect between the watch and the app. Only thing is that no data actually gets transferred.

I don't have much faith in the device when the simplest things seem to be this glitchy.

Another round, another disappointment. It's missing at least a third of my shots. It got exactly 6 holes right, three of which were par 3s. Autoshot really is garbage.

Mine too is still missing shots. I cannot find a pattern or solution. Looks like I will be back on with the support line tomorrow

If you can, please report back with what they tell you.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Cannot add or move shots after your round. pfft.

Very disappointing and was hoping that this would be a feature they were working on.

What's the point in stats if they aren't accurate?!

So basically - could this scenario happen... You drive 250 and hit an 8 iron to the heart of a 400 yard green. Go home, realise it didn't pick up your 8 iron, therefore effectively suggesting you drove the green, which in turn makes your new longest drive is 400 yards which also massages the averages etc.

Or perhaps the s20 is better at picking up shots than the MS B2 was. Cause the above would happen frequently for me.

I have this exact scenario. My long drive is currently 427 yards. I'm big but not that big. �� Looks like it missed my iron from fairway.

I'd agree that the functionality to edit the round tracker afterwards is vital, if this feature is important to you. I think it's a nice touch, but it's not what drove me to get the watch.

note: you can delete shots I believe so whilst it's not ideal, you can remove these big drives, you just can't then fix the hole to show what it really should have been.

exactly

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I think you need to do it online, via Garmin Connect.

I think you're correct. I'm looking at my card now from my round yesterday and it is almost identical to Game Golf yardages.

Kind of interesting. I don't think I turned on the Autoshot feature to pick my clubs, but I can edit them after the round. However, I can't add putts or move the location of shots around.

I'll keep on playing around with it, but it has promise. Definitely not as much detail as Game Golf and definitely not a substitute.

Best thing so far about the S20? Battery life (76% after my round) and hazard information.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Another round, another disappointment. It's missing at least a third of my shots. It got exactly 6 holes right, three of which were par 3s. Autoshot really is garbage.

Mine too is still missing shots. I cannot find a pattern or solution. Looks like I will be back on with the support line tomorrow

Well still another round with missing shots! :-(. Called Garmin and they are sending a replacement out to me for a second time. I hope the third time is a charm.

I haven't visited this thread for a while, but is ANYONE having success with "Autoshot"?

The last few rounds I've played, I've only used M/F/B and scorekeeping, because if it's going to not pick up some shots, and record others incorrectly, why bother with selecting a club every time?

I'll be honest, I didn't buy this watch for "Autoshot", but that was a selling factor. I bought it for accurate M/F/B and good battery life, plus it's pretty good for an everyday watch with text/call notifications.

It is usually spot on for M/F/B (although my home course has 3 holes mapped incorrectly as far as par), battery life is outstanding, and it's so light I hardly realize I'm wearing it each day. That said, since it's supposed to have "Autoshot", I'm disappointed it doesn't work, and the bluetooth notifications seem to be hit or miss lately. I'm not getting rid of this one, but all this crap will definitely make me look at another brand when it's time to upgrade.

**edit** And if they can't get the watch right, who the hell are they asking $150 for "Tru-Swing"? If that works as well as "Autoshot", I'd think about filing a class action suit! In my opinion, since they used all of us early buyers as beta testers, they should send us a Tru-Swing for our troubles?

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I haven't visited this thread for a while, but is ANYONE having success with "Autoshot"?

NOPE - works sometimes, but not at all reliable to track an entire round of golf

I'll be honest, I didn't buy this watch for "Autoshot", but that was a selling factor.

Autoshot was definitely one of the reasons I chose the S20. Like buying a Mercedes because it has adaptive cruise control. It is/was an important feature to me. If Garmin can manage to allow post-round editing on the Connect website, I'd gripe less. However, as it is now it's just lame.

I bought it for accurate M/F/B and good battery life, plus it's pretty good for an everyday watch with text/call notifications.

I don't even use this. There's no vibe when a notification comes so I often have no idea the notification is being displayed. One day I noticed someone peeking at my watch. took me aback when i realized they were reading a text message I hadn't known I'd received. Again, as it is now it's just lame. I keep my bluetooth turned off - i don't want to lose the little precious data I've collected because the scorecard doesn't upload. Lame, lame, and lame.

**edit** And if they can't get the watch right, who the hell are they asking $150 for "Tru-Swing"? If that works as well as "Autoshot", I'd think about filing a class action suit! In my opinion, since they used all of us early buyers as beta testers, they should send us a Tru-Swing for our troubles?

Just do it.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Very interesting and helpful thread. I currently use the Bushnell NeoXS and the main things I like about it -- and what I use -- are F/M/B numbers, ability to measure distance of a single shot with the push of one button, time of round played, and the odometer. The thing that's missing on the Bushnell though is accurate layups, doglegs, end of fairway, hazards.

For you guys who have provided all the really good info here, would the S20 do all these things?

If so, I might go for it. I don't need Autoshot that much (although I'd like it if it worked...), but I do like to occasionally hit a button and measure the distance of a shot I've just made.

Thanks.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I have played three rounds with the watch overall I have been happy. The auto tracking was a big selling point for me. I was in between the S6 and the S20. I did however wanted something with auto tracking. Out of the tree rounds I have played it did screw up a few holes where it thought it was on another hole. I do wish we had the ability to edit. That has to be a must. I think I have made the right choice it seems they are updating it constantly. So I do hope they keep making improvements. The battery was also a huge selling point I got three rounds out of it before i had to charge it

Very interesting and helpful thread. I currently use the Bushnell NeoXS and the main things I like about it -- and what I use -- are F/M/B numbers, ability to measure distance of a single shot with the push of one button, time of round played, and the odometer. The thing that's missing on the Bushnell though is accurate layups, doglegs, end of fairway, hazards.

For you guys who have provided all the really good info here, would the S20 do all these things?

If so, I might go for it. I don't need Autoshot that much (although I'd like it if it worked...), but I do like to occasionally hit a button and measure the distance of a shot I've just made.

Thanks.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, but I have the slightly older Neo-X (2 hazards per hole instead of 4 with the XS).

As I've been researching, it appears the big advantage of the S20 is that it DOES provide a comprehensive listing of hazards on a hole instead of the 2 or 4 we get. Like you I also like the fact that on the X/XS you can measure a shot with a single button push. What isn't apparent is the number of button pushes to measure a shot on the S20.

As for F/M/B, it actually does that better than Bushnell because Garmin uses true, Near, Center, Back based on your approach angle.

The other plus I see for the S20 is that it has "ACTIVITY TRACKING - Reminds you to stay active on or off the course with move bar alerts. Displays steps, calories burned, distance and time of day, plus it monitors hours of sleep" -- so it appears to do everything we have on the Bushnell plus more. This would keep me from buying a Vivofit or FitBit.

Most of the criticism of the S20 seems to be around AutoShot which is something I don't really care about.

I'm in no rush yet because I like my Bushnell, but comprehensive hazards would be a nice plus on unfamiliar courses, plus I wouldn't mind getting a fitness bracelet since my old one died, and the S20 could fill that void.

Thanks.

So I made this very same move. I've been using the Neo XS for about 6 months but something about this watch lept out at me so I made the move.

On pure simplicity the Neo XS still wins. It just works and is so easy to just get yardages etc on the course and because it doesn't have a whole host of features you don't find yourself messing around with it and distracting you from your round. However I won't be switching back.

You won't lose anything making this move, but the S20 gives a little more in functionality. Once you get used to where to look for things it becomes quite easy to use othe course.

Hazards read is much better, more detailed and gives some positional indication, which is good. That seems to be the crux of your question, and I certainly feel there is more on the s20 in that respect. Moving the pin is a nice feature too lets you really dial in (not that it really effects the shot I play, but it's good to have).

I like some of the other bits too, the shot tracking is fine (though as many have said the autoshot needs after edit desperately) odometer is there if you want it etc. For me the big sells were the form factor (it's slimmer and lighter than the XS and comes in a very neat blue/green colour) and the battery life, where I can comfortably get 3 rounds out of it and also wear it day to day in-between.

In short, I like the s20 (although it still won't sync with my phone, I'm hopeful the support guys will get this resolved for me soon!) and would recommend it, but it's not a massive step change from the XS. Lighter and slimmer with better battery life is the key difference.

As I've been researching, it appears the big advantage of the S20 is that it DOES provide a comprehensive listing of hazards on a hole instead of the 2 or 4 we get. Like you I also like the fact that on the X/XS you can measure a shot with a single button push. What isn't apparent is the number of button pushes to measure a shot on the S20.

As for F/M/B, it actually does that better than Bushnell because Garmin uses true, Near, Center, Back based on your approach angle.

The hazard feature is definitely better, and it appears on a kind of line based structure so you see a little more context of what's in front of you.

The measure shot is only a couple of buttons press, it's not a major faff when you get used to it, but certainly it's not quite as simple as the bushnell (I guess that's obvious in that there are more functions so they need more than a single button). Now I've used it a couple of times I would not say it's a major issue, depends how often you use the measure shot I guess. I only check shots when I think I've hit a big drive really. :)

The green view is good, and I forgot to mention in my comment above, the green shape that you seen on the watch main screen is a real plus, gives you a little more sight of what's coming, and moving the pin further helps with the detail of what you are looking at. The F/M/B yardages can't be faulted, but then you'd expect that to be the bread and butter of the watch really.

Thanks to both of you. I agree, part of what attracts me to the S20 is the form factor. And it sounds like it's close in terms of what we use it for, with details being better.

I, too, tend to measure only a few shots a round. Like you, the big drives... <g>. And sometimes an iron if I over or under shoot a target. So, if I'm understanding correctly, that is accomplished by hitting a button twice, i.e., a button after the shot and something like "OK" when you get to the ball?

If so, I'll be going for it. A lot of the other details, including design, seem like I might prefer it.

[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

Thanks to both of you. I agree, part of what attracts me to the S20 is the form factor. And it sounds like it's close in terms of what we use it for, with details being better.

I, too, tend to measure only a few shots a round. Like you, the big drives... <g>. And sometimes an iron if I over or under shoot a target. So, if I'm understanding correctly, that is accomplished by hitting a button twice, i.e., a button after the shot and something like "OK" when you get to the ball?

If so, I'll be going for it. A lot of the other details, including design, seem like I might prefer it.

Correct. IIRC, hit "OK", select "Measure Shot", hit "OK" again. If the Measure Shot button option was the last menu selected, you won't need to scroll.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Thanks, guys. Think I'll go for it and look forward to software updates like the rest of the campers.

The hazard feature is definitely better, and it appears on a kind of line based structure so you see a little more context of what's in front of you.

The measure shot is only a couple of buttons press, it's not a major faff when you get used to it, but certainly it's not quite as simple as the bushnell (I guess that's obvious in that there are more functions so they need more than a single button). Now I've used it a couple of times I would not say it's a major issue, depends how often you use the measure shot I guess. I only check shots when I think I've hit a big drive really. :)

The green view is good, and I forgot to mention in my comment above, the green shape that you seen on the watch main screen is a real plus, gives you a little more sight of what's coming, and moving the pin further helps with the detail of what you are looking at. The F/M/B yardages can't be faulted, but then you'd expect that to be the bread and butter of the watch really.

Thank you. It's of great value to get perspective from someone that has used both. Much appreciated!

what software version are we on now?, plugged mine into Express and it says i'm up to date, yet when i unplug the watch it says "update available", i press ok and it starts to update yet after 10-15secs it says update failed?????....on the about screen i'm on 2.50.......

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Cobra forged tec black 4-GW
Cobra black wedges 54, 58
Evnflow ER2

Just got off the phone with a Garmin rep. V 2.50 is the latest. Was told that once you update on the computer you have to update on the watch as well after you disconnect.

The auto shot actually works pretty well for me It didn't miss any shots but it does seem to get confused once you get close to the green if you end up chipping rather than putting. But it was actually quite good at picking which club I had hit and it didn't miss any shots-- actually threw in a few extras (the confusion I was talking about)

I probably won't be bothered with the autoshot much unless I am playing by myself and have plenty of time. My distances are pretty set and consistent I will probably just let it track my shots and keep score and not input every time which club I had hit. I think it is quite good at the basic functions it was meant for and as others have said it has excellent battery life.

Just got off the phone with a Garmin rep. V 2.50 is the latest. Was told that once you update on the computer you have to update on the watch as well after you disconnect.

The auto shot actually works pretty well for me It didn't miss any shots but it does seem to get confused once you get close to the green if you end up chipping rather than putting. But it was actually quite good at picking which club I had hit and it didn't miss any shots-- actually threw in a few extras (the confusion I was talking about)

I probably won't be bothered with the autoshot much unless I am playing by myself and have plenty of time. My distances are pretty set and consistent I will probably just let it track my shots and keep score and not input every time which club I had hit. I think it is quite good at the basic functions it was meant for and as others have said it has excellent battery life.

This is correct. Once you sync up on the computer and then disconnect, your watch will prompt you to update firmware. I haven't missed many shots other than chips, but editing after the round is a must have if they want this to be useful.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Anyone know what the odometer measures in? I would assume miles, but i just walked a known 1 mile loop, and it showed 4.45.

You can go into "Settings" and scroll down to select Metric of "Imperial". Imperial will be yards.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank