Garmin S20 GPS Watch

I have had a chance to play a round with the tracking turned on. I too, as I have seen others report that some swings are missing. For me it was the driver swings. I have reported this to Garmin and am awaiting a response.

I find it strange that it is missing swings. According to previous posts it always asks which club was used after a swing, i.e. it would be immediately noticeable if it didn't register a swing.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if anyone else with trouble uploading scorecards to Connect has been able to resolve their issues yet?

Planning to play another round of golf on Thurs and don't want to bother with the shot-tracking if I'm just going to lose all data again upon sync.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I have had a chance to play a round with the tracking turned on. I too, as I have seen others report that some swings are missing. For me it was the driver swings. I have reported this to Garmin and am awaiting a response.

I find it strange that it is missing swings. According to previous posts it always asks which club was used after a swing, i.e. it would be immediately noticeable if it didn't register a swing.

It should be, but after only two rounds with it, I am not in the rhythm to check it right after every swing. Even if I did, I am not sure what the solution would be? Maybe to just take a practice swing?

I'm using mine with everything turned off and just using front, middle and back yardages, yet everytime i approch a green it reverts to the green view asking if i want to move the pin?, NO i dont want to move it...i just want it at the moment to show FMB distances .....anyone got any ideas why its doing this?

TM M4 10.5 evenflow 6.0
Cobra F7 3 wood
Cobra F7 hybrid
Cobra forged tec black 4-GW
Cobra black wedges 54, 58
Evnflow ER2

I'm using mine with everything turned off and just using front, middle and back yardages, yet everytime i approch a green it reverts to the green view asking if i want to move the pin?, NO i dont want to move it...i just want it at the moment to show FMB distances .....anyone got any ideas why its doing this?

That's a new one to me! I have rarely used move the pin, as it takes several extra steps, and I'm not sure of the advantage. As I recall, it still gives you FMB distances, but like I say, only used it once or twice. I'm not even sure how to make mine go into that mode.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

OK, another update. 1 scorecard uploaded this week, this is very annoying, however I found something cool. I have activity tracking on, stat tracking on, scoring on, club tracking OFF. I turned it off because it was annoying selecting the club each time. The one scorecard that uploaded this way actually recorded my shots with autoshot round analyzer, with '?' for club used, so you can just edit clubs used after the round if you want to. So, you can turn off club tracking and still view shots after your scorecard uploads, if it uploads.

OK, another update. 1 scorecard uploaded this week, this is very annoying, however I found something cool. I have activity tracking on, stat tracking on, scoring on, club tracking OFF. I turned it off because it was annoying selecting the club each time. The one scorecard that uploaded this way actually recorded my shots with autoshot round analyzer, with '?' for club used, so you can just edit clubs used after the round if you want to. So, you can turn off club tracking and still view shots after your scorecard uploads, if it uploads.

This is what I have been looking for. Automatic recording of shots, without the need to enter anything. If only it could do automatic scorecard, too, based upon the recorded shots, it would be awesome.

Thanks for the update, Tink. The S20 might be returning to my wishlist.

Hmmm perhaps turning off club tracking = ability to upload scorecard?

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Hmmm perhaps turning off club tracking = ability to upload scorecard?

I don't think so, because both rounds I've played have had club tracking on and I've been able to upload. Are you guys calling Garmin about these issues? I'll agree that software sucks at this point, but squeaky wheels get the grease.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Ok finally got a full scorecard with shot tracking to show up on Connect. However, many holes are missing shots. Is there a way to add shots? For example I hit DR > 8i > PW for a total of 438 yards, but only one shot for 438 yards shows. Also noticed all the shots are showing the wrong clubs on Connect.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

Ok finally got a full scorecard with shot tracking to show up on Connect. However, many holes are missing shots. Is there a way to add shots? For example I hit DR > 8i > PW for a total of 438 yards, but only one shot for 438 yards shows. Also noticed all the shots are showing the wrong clubs on Connect.

I think the bigger question on WRX is, why on earth would you need an 8i on a meager 438 yd hole?

In all seriousness, mine started showing incorrect clubs last time I uploaded. I guess this is going to be a lengthy ordeal waiting on Garmin to get the bugs worked out, and comes down to whether or not each user is willing to wait out that ordeal or jump ship. I'm staying, but kind of wishing I would have waited and seen what other options from other manufacturers come out.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I think the bigger question on WRX is, why on earth would you need an 8i on a meager 438 yd hole?

In all seriousness, mine started showing incorrect clubs last time I uploaded. I guess this is going to be a lengthy ordeal waiting on Garmin to get the bugs worked out, and comes down to whether or not each user is willing to wait out that ordeal or jump ship. I'm staying, but kind of wishing I would have waited and seen what other options from other manufacturers come out.

lol.... actually the question is why the PW after the 8i?

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

Hello all

I am Emmanuel from Paris. I have followed this thread since i bought last monday a S20 approach. I wanted to share with you a feedback.

My watch has the 2.30 firmware

I played my first 18 holes with it yesterday.

The gps is accurate enough for average players (i am 23 hcp for the moment :D )

Good battery, light watch.

At a time i thought the watch didnt record some shots because it was not enough tied on my wrist but i am not sure.

Anyway in fact the watch missed about 5 to 8 shots.

Then i tried to transfer my scorecard with garmin connect on my iphone.

It worked pretty well. I have the scorecard and the shots on the maps.

On the website the club used for the shot are pretty wrong

I have changes before the round my set of clubs (got the 5W out and put a LW in)

Then instead of a 3H Garmin connect showed a 5W and instead of the driver it showed the LW.

I have corrected it on the website.

For those who are in contact with the garmin support you can tell them they could add a record shot feature in case of a missed shot

(with after the club selection feature) and also some more stats (bunker shot and pealties). I am not sure the french support send the feedback to

the right persons.

Next stage.. a pro am tomorrow.

looking for gps watch that gives me f/b/m of green and distances to AND to clear hazards. This s20 has bells and whistles I don't want. suggestions??

thx

JRC

I believe the S20 will give you all that, although I haven't played around too much with hazards, as my course has no water hazards and limited fairway bunkers (old tree-lined course). Other options are S2 (much cheaper, not sure if it gives hazards), S3 (I don't have much info at all on), and S4 (I actually liked this watch, but for an everyday watch it was clunkier, and the same price point as the S20 with fewer features). Then again, Bushnell and SkyCaddie make good watches also, based on reviews. Just go to a site like Golfsmith and click on the "Compare" boxes next to everything that looks interesting to you, and it should bring up cost and features.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

I'll be trying this today.

And as someone else mentioned, I wonder if it's not picking up shots because I wear it loosely on my wrist.

Another FYI, if you power it off then hold the down button while powering it on it'll pull up a little diagnostic program. If you power it on while holding the ok & back buttons it'll do a factory reset. Just wanted to share the info, I knew there had to be a way so I experimented a little last night.

As far as not picking up shots, I do wear mine tight, I dont want to feel it moving when I swing. Mine picks up my practice swings as shots.

I'll be trying this today.

And as someone else mentioned, I wonder if it's not picking up shots because I wear it loosely on my wrist.

I turned shot tracking off, but it did exactly what Tink said - tracked shots, but listed ? as the club on Garmin Connect.

Still missed quite a few shots, and missed two holes completely - but I was wearing it loose again.

took mine uot for its maiden yoyage. Missed a few shots (maybe 3).

Has anyone figured out if you can add shots via Garmin Connect?

nope... haven't figured it out and don't still don't know if can even be done.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

Garmin Support response to my email:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I'll be happy to assist you with this. Unfortunately there isn't any way to edit the round at that time. Please make sure your software has been updated through the Garmin Express program. The Garmin Express program is 4.1.17.0 and the software version on the watch is 2.30 for the S20.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

So, as I posted a minute ago, there is no way to edit or add swings that are "missing". Obviously, this is a huge oversight on Garmin's part. I can't believe Garmin assumed Autoshot on the S20 would accurately record all activity during a round of golf. It's like they designed a car without a spare tire because they never considered the possibility of a flat tire.

And no... they didn't use run-flats.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

I'm starting to have my doubts about the S20 (more specifically the software/firmware commitment that seemed so promising in the first few weeks). This has been released for over a month now, and they put out a Garmin Express update about a week in, and also a firmware update to flash/sync to the watch itself. They have to be getting bombarded with calls/emails saying it just isn't functioning correctly, but no new releases? Guess what, the G10 (or whatever the name of the handheld unit is) released days after the last update for the watch. This makes me think they have shifted most of their resources into putting out fires with that device and let the watch fall by the wayside?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not returning mine just yet. It is still an accurate GPS with great POTENTIAL features, and has excellent battery life for what it is (even with "Smart Notifications" and "Activity Tracking" turned on 24/7).

I have started missing some shots the last 2 of 4 rounds (since updating), and wear mine on the same "notch on the strap" all the time. There is no way to manually add a shot afterwards, either on the watch or on Connect. After someone enlightened me on how to "edit" what clubs you actually carry, Connect now says I tee off with a 5W every time I select Driver, and no matter what I select on par 3s, it says LW. I can't hit a LW 187! Seems like by me editing my gear, it added about 100 yds to each club selection. I had another bad situation with this yesterday, but haven't had a chance to call them yet. Mine seems to be getting WORSE on shot/stat tracking.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Oh, and another thing I wish they would add/correct, you should be able to put in your "Fairway Hit/Missed Right/Missed Left" right after you hit your drive and select which club you use. As it is now, you wait until your finish the hole, enter your Score, Putts, Fairway. That seems like a lot to do while walking from green to next tee.

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Am I the only one who can't get rounds to show up on Garmin Express? I have all settings on except for club tracking, am I missing something?

You sync your watch to Garmin Express, but view your "rounds"/scorecards on Garmin Connect. Your success may vary based on recent posts. All my scorecards show up, but there is usually missing/erroneous data that i have no option to correct on Connect,

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Am I the only one who can't get rounds to show up on Garmin Express? I have all settings on except for club tracking, am I missing something?

You sync your watch to Garmin Express, but view your "rounds"/scorecards on Garmin Connect. Your success may vary based on recent posts. All my scorecards show up, but there is usually missing/erroneous data that i have no option to correct on Connect,

at least you're getting scorecards...I'd be happy with that at this point