2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Garmin S20 GPS Watch

Two weeks now and I am enjoying it. Synching to phone and computer works well. I use it for scoring and to track distances for clubs i used. It seems to remember what club i used from a similar distance. I mid iron shot, it more often or not prompts me to confirm the club i just used and it usually is correct.

It predicts your club based what you configured your "driver distance" to be.

I had to lie and add 15 yards onto my driver distance setting as it was always given me a club more than i needed.

I'm still confused as to why the stats online were duplicating for me.

And it's the same two holes that it doesn't recognise a swing on for me.

Apart from that - still happy.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it pops on screen and stays there for several seconds. In addition, you can turn on Tones in Settings, and it makes the tiniest non-distracting sound if you want. If you don't see the Notification when it comes in, you can click on Notifications and scroll through them.

The more I use the watch, the more I like it. I would make a couple of modifications (like making the odometer work), but in general, my overall experience has been terrific with it.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

Thanks for all the reviews. One question and I'm not sure if this has been answered, but what happens on AutoShot when you take a practice swing? Does it record it as two shots from the same spot?

The S20 often thinks my practice swing was my actual shot. When this happens I've tried providing the S20 with an input for a club selection, say Driver, and then hit my real tee shot.

Not too bad if you're on the tee box but it's rude anywhere else on the course because the S20 seems to ignore any other swings from approximately the same location. It's particularly lame, for example, when I'm in deep rough and simply need to hack the ball out with a wedge. S20 then refuses to recognize the next shot from a few yards away with a 7-iron that lands on the green. Doesn't matter how you record it, you lost a shot. This is why Garmin really really needs to revise the Connect website to allow users to edit shots post-round.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

Yes, it pops on screen and stays there for several seconds. In addition, you can turn on Tones in Settings, and it makes the tiniest non-distracting sound if you want. If you don't see the Notification when it comes in, you can click on Notifications and scroll through them.

The more I use the watch, the more I like it. I would make a couple of modifications (like making the odometer work), but in general, my overall experience has been terrific with it.

Thanks for the confirmation. I almost bought one as it seems to be an excellent golf GPS watch. But now I’m not so sure if the S20 can replace my Pebble watch for daily use. I like the watch vibrate notification for phone calls and text because I always set my phone to silent mode.

There's a new model coming out... the Approach X40. First impression is a repackaged S20 + heart rate monitor.

Wish they wouldn't market it until it really works properly, but of course, Garmin is again touting Autoshot and Connect's post-round hole-by-hole view.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

There's a new model coming out... the Approach X40. First impression is a repackaged S20 + heart rate monitor.

Wish they wouldn't market it until it really works properly, but of course, Garmin is again touting Autoshot and Connect's post-round hole-by-hole view.

Nice. It is perfect - the spec says it has vibration alert, like the vivoactive hr. Available by end of June.

Every time I plug in my S20 to charge it, it tells me there's an update (maps). So, I update it. After the install, the watch asks to install it, I click yes. After it goes through it's process, it comes back with "failed update"...every time. Any ideas?

Yea I'm getting this too. I'm on 2.60. This first happened when the battery was low and I attempted to update, so I though it was because of that. But I keep seeing the failed updates.

Every time I plug in my S20 to charge it, it tells me there's an update (maps). So, I update it. After the install, the watch asks to install it, I click yes. After it goes through it's process, it comes back with "failed update"...every time. Any ideas?

Yea I'm getting this too. I'm on 2.60. This first happened when the battery was low and I attempted to update, so I though it was because of that. But I keep seeing the failed updates.

I got the same "failed update" message after both the 2.50 and 2.60 updates. So far I haven't seen any evidence that the updates actually failed.

Nope. No way to let the unit know it missed a shot.

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

Beg to differ, PW.

From my experience, scorecard is independent of Autoshot (though scorecard has to be on for autoshot to try to work). You still fill out the scorecard manually at the end of every hole, so even if autoshot doesnt work (which it frequently doesnt) your scorecard will still be correct.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Beg to differ, PW.

From my experience, scorecard is independent of Autoshot (though scorecard has to be on for autoshot to try to work). You still fill out the scorecard manually at the end of every hole, so even if autoshot doesnt work (which it frequently doesnt) your scorecard will still be correct.

That's great news. So with that in mind, what's the biggest benefit of autoshot (when its working)?

Nope. No way to let the unit know it missed a shot.

While that is true;

I believe, (could be wrong) you can do his original suggestion.

When your around the green you get to pick score and putts, no matter how many strokes were automatically recorded.

The inaccuracies will only show up on the hole overview map (Garmin connect)

Beg to differ, PW.

That's great news. So with that in mind, what's the biggest benefit of autoshot (when its working)?

Auto shot is only really useful for the course overview map.

It records the location of the shot.

You can overlay your last 5/10/15 rounds to see if you have a regular miss.

Beg to differ, PW.

I stand corrected. Just like Autoshot, it seems i missed the swing of things. Perhaps my dis-satisfaction with Autoshot contributed my mis-reading the original question. :taunt:

Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

Beg to differ, PW.

Great way to review a round, and also see how far you really hit each club

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Not that his is any huge savings, but Amazon has the black band and white band watches for $189.99. Teal and slate are both $199.99.

The white, black, and teal are back at $189.99 (slate is regular $199.99) on Amazon. The seller is National Golf, but it's fulfilled by Amazon. I hesitated last time and the price went back up before I added it to the cart. I think this is the first time in 3 weeks it's been back to this price.

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H