2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Garmin S20 GPS Watch

I just read this entire thread and am soooooooo glad I did. I've had the S2 for going on three years and have

never had a single glitch - ever. I've always been a bit unsure about the seemingly mismatched alliance between

a game of feel and tempo and high-tech applications. It seems to me that a lot of what is being offered is a

bit of a distraction from the actual game itself.

Anyway, regardless, I think I'll try a modest upgrade to the S4. Caveat emptor deluxe.

Ben

I feel the same way. I have a Bushnell Neo-x which I like a lot but was really thinking about jumping to the S20 because of the full hazard coverage and fitness capability. While I think Garmin is headed in the right direction, this still has to have the bugs worked out, so no need to jump from my perfectly working Bushnell.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came from the Neo-X, too, and although I understand you guys being hesitant because of all the initial problems, I just wanted to add that I couldn't be happier I made the switch. This watch is unique and something special among what's out there. (I've used many, many, many...) Distance readings, stats, layups, hazards, pin positions, notifications, health stuff -- all are unusually accurate and instantaneous. I get that you don't appreciate being made a kind of beta tester, but most of the problem stuff is now gone, and more and more, I'm realizing that sport specific smart watches are really the future in this arena. I've had several guys using the Apple Watch say they were switching to the S20 after seeing mine. If you're a serious golfer who also likes a lot of what's going on out there with smart watches, this watch is the real deal. Does a lot of Apple Watch type stuff, but is also a top notch golf watch.

I really can't explain what some report, such as above here, about things like missing shots, etc. I don't use the club tracker every round, but when I have, it amazes me by showing the right club I've just hit every time. (I'm a fairly low index -- maybe that has something to do with it. I don't tend to hit multiple approach shots or chips, etc)) I agree that online editing would be nice at some point, but for me, there's a bit of OCD that comes in with focusing on post-round stats so emphatically. Even when I'm not using the club tracking, I'm amazed that I can pull up a map of the course that shows all my shots including distances, including on my iPhone in the bar after a round. I tend to know what club I hit when and where...

The main thing I want from this watch is what happens on the course while I'm playing, and the ability to get notifications of all kinds (including how long it's going to take me in traffic on the way to the course and home afterward). And the S20 shines at all this (even if they are going to continue improving it). In fact, I'll probably be giving the TruSwing app a try soon. For me, this thing is that good.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I came from the Neo-X, too, and although I understand you guys being hesitant because of all the initial problems, I just wanted to add that I couldn't be happier I made the switch. This watch is unique and something special among what's out there. (I've used many, many, many...) Distance readings, stats, layups, hazards, pin positions, notifications, health stuff -- all are unusually accurate and instantaneous. I get that you don't appreciate being made a kind of beta tester, but most of the problem stuff is now gone, and more and more, I'm realizing that sport specific smart watches are really the future in this arena. I've had several guys using the Apple Watch say they were switching to the S20 after seeing mine. If you're a serious golfer who also likes a lot of what's going on out there with smart watches, this watch is the real deal. Does a lot of Apple Watch type stuff, but is also a top notch golf watch.

I really can't explain what some report, such as above here, about things like missing shots, etc. I don't use the club tracker every round, but when I have, it amazes me by showing the right club I've just hit every time. (I'm a fairly low index -- maybe that has something to do with it. I don't tend to hit multiple approach shots or chips, etc)) I agree that online editing would be nice at some point, but for me, there's a bit of OCD that comes in with focusing on post-round stats so emphatically. Even when I'm not using the club tracking, I'm amazed that I can pull up a map of the course that shows all my shots including distances, including on my iPhone in the bar after a round. I tend to know what club I hit when and where...

The main thing I want from this watch is what happens on the course while I'm playing, and the ability to get notifications of all kinds (including how long it's going to take me in traffic on the way to the course and home afterward). And the S20 shines at all this (even if they are going to continue improving it). In fact, I'll probably be giving the TruSwing app a try soon. For me, this thing is that good.

I agree with most of this post. Form factor (light and thin), battery life, hazards, distance reading are all top notch. And more than validate the purchase price. My only issues are with shot tracker.

The bolded part, however, is irrelevant. Most of the shot tracker misses I experience are teeshots and approach shots. It never seems to miss a chip. Either I have 400 yard drives (because it misses the approach) or my first comes from the fairway, as it doesn't register the tee shot.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Wonder if it might be the course. Does it happen on more than one course?

[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I was one of the early adapters, and only problem I had was with Auto-shot. Then came the "No Courses Found" bug.

I can live with the shoddy performance of the Auto-shot, as it's a work in progress. What I have a real problem with is the "No Courses Found" error. They admitted that they put out an "Update" that had a filename not recognized by the device. Why not send out another "Update" to correct this before everyone shows up on the first tee?

I go through this numerous times a year from a particular software vendor at work. Put out a new "Upgrade", then it screws up my machine. I call them, and they say "Yea, we know about that, you have to do this." Why wait for me to call you? Send out an email outlining the issues and remedies!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Totally agree with this, Halliedog. The buggy upgrade process is getting so common that even Apple is putting out ios upgrades full of bugs. Never used to happen with Jobs on top. It takes someone on top with some vision. And beta testing with diligent and willing beta test sign-ups, not the general public buying your product before it should be released.

All that said, the S20 is now a solid product and where it should have been upon release. I noticed that they released the X40 on time yesterday, too. Hope they learned from our S20 experience because they've got a terrific product here with BIG potential.

I don't mind being a "beta tester" as long as they tell me first and offer a discount on the purchase price. Otherwise I consider it a crappy business model on their part if they intentionally release hardware/software knowing it is not yet ready for prime time. The bad news is that a lot of companies are doing just that. Which is why I search out forums like this before plonking down my hard earned cash. As long as Garmin takes this approach, I'll buy my products elsewhere or wait until they get it right.

So does all this mean it is ok to update to 2.80?

Yeah you should be good to go. I updated to 2.80 after having the no courses nearby bug fixed and my watch is working great. Still missing two or three shots a round like it always had. I don't manually input my clubs throughout the round though, I just like to view the maps post round. If only they could get that resolved then the watch would be flawless in my opinion.

The 2.80 update seems to be pretty stable IMO. As far as the watch missing shots, I think in cases where guys are seeing 1-3 shots missed only per round, may end up being typical for most on some rounds. I think with this technology not being connected to the club, its almost impossible to be perfect. How precise can this really be honestly? To that point though, they should incorporate the option of editing your round afterwords. If we could add in that ability similar to Game Golf, I think that would be a fine solution.

I took a chance on this s20 and bought one tonight for 169. shipped. I was really leaning towards the x40 with it's smaller profile but what I didn't like about it was the strap. .Not sure of the durability of it as I want to use it as an everyday actively watch ,If it breaks or slot lets go your hooped can't be replaced.,The s20 has replaceable straps. Plus I think that Garmin will get s the bugs ironed out soon on these. The features on these are pretty cool and the price difference over the x40 is also a bonus.

. gb

I knock on wood have not had any cannot find course issues. Very happy with yardages, they are all quite accurate, hazards, layups, f/m/b, etc. I also am wearing it as an everyday watch but make no mistake about it, this is a golfer's watch. I expected NOTHING out of autoshot and it works pretty well. I believe the better player you are, the better it works. The main times I have an issue is if I hit a tee shot onto the next hole tee box... throws it off kilter. That usually only happens 6-8 times a round though, LOL.

I was on 2.80 and encountered the "no courses found" error last week.

As the 2.90 update came out yesterday, I tried to update (hoping that this would resolve the error) but found out that installation failed....

I got in touch with Garmin support and they did an account/database reset.

After removal and installation of Garmin Express on my Mac everything worked again.

The S20 can find courses again and has the newest update v2.90.

I'm based in Amsterdam, Europe....

I have had mine since around April. I'm not sure if I have ever updated it or anything. I dont want it to track rounds, and I'm not interested in the Autoshot if I have to hit a bunch of buttons. I wear it as an everyday watch for steps and for use on the course. It has been fantastic in that regard. Never had any problem finding a course, the yardages are really tight, and the battery life is damn impressive

Was wondering if anyone has bought a screen protector for their s20.

Saw on amazon the following:

BoxWave® for Garmin Approach S20

3 choices-

Crystal clear $12.95 2 pack

• Award winning, crystal clear Approach S20 screen protector, precision-cut to fit your device's exact dimensions!
  • Amazing glass-like clarity; ultra-high, 99% visual transparency produces vibrant colors
  • Made from high-grade thermoplastics designed for durability; Protects your screen from scratches and dust
  • Glueless adhesive bonds perfectly to your screen and will never leave a sticky residue after peeling
  • Each package contains 2 ClearTouch Crystal screen protectors, a ClearTouch Applicator card, and microfiber cleaning cloth

Antiglare- $12.95 2 pack

• Award winning Anti-Glare Approach S20 Screen Protector, precision-cut to fit your device's exact dimensions
  • Dual-layered high-grade PET film from Japan designed for durability; Protects your screen from scratches, fingerprints, and dust
  • Reduces 90% of UV rays caused by reflected light, protecting your eyes
  • Glueless adhesive bonds perfectly to your screen and will never leave a sticky residue after peeling
  • Each package contains 2 ClearTouch Anti-Glare screen protectors, a ClearTouch Applicator card, and microfiber cleaning cloth

HD glass- @19.95 single

• Amazing sturdy tempered glass Approach S20 Screen Protector!
  • Bubble-free Application
  • 99% Visual Transparency
  • Sized to specifically fit the Approach S20
  • Protects Sensitive Touchscreen Against Scratches

Which would you choose? I don't want to buy all three, too expensive.

or,

(3 PACK) DFlectorshield Screen Protector for the Garmin Approach S20 with free Lifetime Replacement Program-

• Designed and Inspected to precise specifications for the Garmin Approach S20
  • Smooth finish without affecting touch screen sensitivity with self healing technology
  • Multi-layer Urethane film with self-healing technology to retain its smooth surface
  • State of the art adhesive that creates a powerful bond with your screen for the ultimate protection without leaving residue.
  • Manufacturer Life-Time Warranty. Manufactured and Shipped from the UNITED STATE

$7.99 + $2.98 shipping

I also posted in the Garmin X40 thread, but this one seems to be getting more activity. I have been looking at both the S20 and X40. I am planning to purchase the X40 later today. Anyone want to talk me down from the X40? Would the S20 be a better option?

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash Star Hybrid JDM 26* - Speeder Evolution S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

If you want a well performing golf gps, then buy a dedicated device, not the apple watch that requires being slaved to the phone to work.

The S20 has its issues but shows solid potential,so I'm sitting on the fence. I don't think we know a whole lot about the X40 but that sure has peaked my interest. While you're looking, you ought to check out the bushnell neo-xs. I have the older X and it's a solid device.

If you want a well performing golf gps, then buy a dedicated device, not the apple watch that requires being slaved to the phone to work.

The S20 has its issues but shows solid potential,so I'm sitting on the fence.

If you want a well performing golf gps, then buy a Pebble Time to use with the Game Golf app on your smartphone.

That solution has no issues whatsoever, thus proving my point.

The S20 has its issues but shows solid potential,so I'm sitting on the fence.

If you want a well performing golf gps, then buy a Pebble Time to use with the Game Golf app on your smartphone.

That solution has no issues whatsoever, thus proving my point.

Which pebble has a built in GPS that you can use for golf?

Which pebble has a built in GPS that you can use for golf?

Like Apple Watch, the Pebble uses the GPS in the smartphone. I much prefer this solution vs. a product with issues.

I happen to agree that the S-20 was a product with potential. I highly doubt that it will ever deliver to that potential - unlike the Game Golf solution, which is both feature rich and free of issues. But if all you want is a GPS watch, the S-20 is fine.

Mine just arrived this week , played 2 rounds with it right out of box , have so idea what software version it is , works great accurate yardages. I bought it for all the extra features , shot tracker, step counter and others. As it turns out I am just find I am not to keen on being a tech guy., All the info is there but too much button pushing for me. What I do like is the lay up yardage nice feature, So if someone wants one cheap let me know , I will stick with my Bushnell.

gb