Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

So I thought I would be in some sort of golf depression because of not being able to play, but honestly I'm fine with it and a break might just be the perfect thing for me to gain a different perspective on my game. If I look back at the last dozen years or so, I have played golf mostly twice a week on a regular basis and never took a break for longer than a month. That's around 100 rounds a year. Although it pales in comparison to the pros, it is still a lot of golf and I have to face the fact that it has worn down my body. And LOL with the PNW oppressive rain coming on, the timing is perfect for a break.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

So 60 hours in and things with working the cafe are becoming more and more routine. Still have those one off orders. Another new person started 2 weeks before me and she is on cold bar now - expect I'll get there once they have her more experienced - only so many new people can train at a time - we typically have 5 people on a shift - had 7 one day and it was just a bit too much though lots of time we have 6 so one person can focus on inventory in the back and getting things out to the front storage. This week has been calmer since the Florida folks are gone but should ramp up with the change in colors coming soon. Grass cutting and golf today. Summer hanging on here with temps in the mid 80s with just a touch of humidity - chucktown had 70s dewpoints - that is sticky at any temp. Fingers crossed on Maria which appears to be headed north well out to sea from SC - hope it keeps turning and doesn't head to the NE coast.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Heehee Pappy J-Dub, you are supposed to check out as soon as your vacation is approved. Why wait until there are only 8 days to go?

Registered Bladeocrat

Heehee Pappy J-Dub, you are supposed to check out as soon as your vacation is approved. Why wait until there are only 8 days to go?

trust me, I have been checked out since I was chosen for this.... people are just now noticing..... hhahaha

EDIT: BTW, loving that new nick name hahaha.

Forever Changing at this point.......

We've been getting scattered showers, but they've been much needed. Finally our air quality is reasonable.

I've been in a bit of a golf slump. Hitting the ball like sh*t3!

Today I went out early for my tee time and was just smashing balls. Pull, pull, pull, pull. Finally, I had this thought to drop my spine angle a little in transition and that got me through the round.

Maybe time for a little break. We usually have a burst of our best weather for the next month or two and it's hard not to play a lot. We'll see what happens. Pappy J-Dub, have fun in Vegas!

Thanks Matt!

Sooo haven’t been able to concentrate on anything lately haha. Work is just going through the motions (at least until someone gets hurt haha). I had a bout of not being able to chip and putt for two practice sessions this week. Didn’t worry too much about it and I came out last night and this morning to putt and chip and it was back to normal haha. I was struggling with with 5-6 foot putts which for me is usually not a thinker (especially when just practicing). If I miss it’s usually speed wise. The other day it was seeing a line and starting the putt. Everything was coming off the face pushed and lots of skid. Today though almost immediate roll (at least as soon as normal for me) and lines were being hit. Still getting some feel back from whatever it was but speed wasn’t too bad.

I blame the practice facility I was at. Green was weirdly bump and slow and I had no confidence that even if I started on the right line it wouldn’t go where it was supposed to. Funny how mind games work.

Chipping was really weird too. Couldn’t find my touch. A lot of duffs or random soft short hits instead of the driven mid height shots I hit. Dumb! Haha. I am changing from a 56 60 set up to a 52 58 setup though so the 52 chipping is getting tough to get a hold of. I also changed wedges for the 52. Wilson now instead of the Callaway md3. Different grind and what not.

Oh and I’m not sure if y’all ever go into that other sight for hackers, but their events are pretty dang awesome. Their big one for the end of the year is coming up in December and the last spot is being filled this week. The contest? Writing a ballad/hip hop about it haha. My entry was pretty sweet I must say. Only could be 50 words. It’s on my YouTube channel if anyone wants to look :) see my rap battle skills

I confess, I really thought I could hit a Golf Ball 300y now with how well I've been hitting the ball this year. So this week I I've been to the simulator twice because I've been so busy at work I haven't had a chance to get out to play real golf, and the simulator can be played at night when I do have time. So back to my point, I really did think I could do it now, but, the computer proved me wrong. With two separate Drivers on two separate nights lol. Oh Well, I'm close, and I'm hitting it the best I ever have. :)

This was from tonight after my round, shot a 71(-1). I was friggen -4 going into 17 and triple boged the hole with my only stray drive of the night.

Club, Bertha Alpha 815 set to 12* with a Kuro Kate 60x shaft. This is my Gamer.

This was from the other night after my round. Shot an 87, two bad holes is all it was, 8 on a par 4 and a 10 on a par 5.

Club, Cobra AMP 9.5* set to "O"(Open) with an Aldila RIP 55s. I got it off Kijiji a while back and this was the first time I have ever tried it. The shaft felt soft but seemed to work ok actually.

Next time I bring my 910D2 9.5 set to 11* with an Aldila RIP Alpha(Red Eyes) 70x. This was my gamer before Bertha, and may end up being the gamer again next season. I'm curious to see how it stacks up to the other two now :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Matt I feel like you should be getting closer to 300 total distance than you are with that club head speed.

Have you ever tried lofting that Bertha down slightly or even possibly trying a heavier shaft? Just to get that spin down a little to average more around 25-2800? I’m no fitter or instructor haha but I feel like the numbers don’t all match up for the speed you have. Just an observation. Don’t want to put thoughts in your head since it’s obviously not hurting your game haha. You’re playing well and striking he ball

Matt I feel like you should be getting closer to 300 total distance than you are with that club head speed.

Have you ever tried lofting that Bertha down slightly or even possibly trying a heavier shaft? Just to get that spin down a little to average more around 25-2800? I’m no fitter or instructor haha but I feel like the numbers don’t all match up for the speed you have. Just an observation. Don’t want to put thoughts in your head since it’s obviously not hurting your game haha. You’re playing well and striking he ball

Thanks for the thoughts PJ, much appreciated Sir :) I have tried Bertha in all settings but not at the Simulator where I could compare actual numbers on the different settings. Maybe I'll try that next time out as well :) The heaviest I've tried for my Driver 70g, the Aldila RIP in my 910D2, I have thought about going heavier though as I do like a heavy overall club weight. I thought the spin was a little high too, but I've never been fitted before so I, not 100% sure what range I should be aiming for. I think my biggest issue is Smash a factor, I did the math for the first session and most swings were 1.39/1.40, so I'm losing ball speed there for sure. Would more center strikes produce more or less spin?? This I'm not sure of. But I know I could be getting 7-9 more MPH of ball speed though. Some day I'll get there lol.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

This center strikes will certainly decrease spin unless your missing high on the face or Toe ish. Bottom and heel side spin increases.

Where are your misses? If it’s more strike related then the spin isn’t the issue haha. It’s strike. Have you tried a shorter shaft? Again I think a heavier one may also help with strike (you also swing fast enough where going heavier or shorter won’t hurt you at all if it makes strike better). Maybe even trying a different tee height?

This center strikes will certainly decrease spin unless your missing high on the face or Toe ish. Bottom and heel side spin increases.

Where are your misses? If it’s more strike related then the spin isn’t the issue haha. It’s strike. Have you tried a shorter shaft? Again I think a heavier one may also help with strike (you also swing fast enough where going heavier or shorter won’t hurt you at all if it makes strike better). Maybe even trying a different tee height?

My miss is typically Low/heel side with Driver, I do get the odd one out high on the toe too though. I have tried 50g up to an 80g shaft and everywhere from the stock 46” length down to 43”. 44.25” to 44.75” seems to be in the sweet spot length wise, longer feels to long and shorter makes the driver head look to big for the shaft. I agree on heavier, I like heavier, it keeps my tempo in check better. Maybe I just need to practice more so I can hit the center of the face more often? Haha

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Haha don’t we all brother. Low heel will shoot the spin crazy high so equipment probably is not the issue ( damnit PJ, you’re telling me it’s the guy swinging the club?) haha. But the good thing is you’re consistent for the most part with your strike it just may not be in the best location. So I will see you can certainly play for that as we can tell by your scores. And again you’re still hitting a crazy long/long enough to play 85 to 90% of the courses in America/Canada. So really not a huge deal unless you are legitimately chasing more distance.

Doubled one and bogeyed two today. Fought back with some solid play then chipped in on 13 and birdied 16 and held it under 80.

I take pride in fighting through the rough rounds these days. Really tee it up for the chance to threaten par, but that seems to take some magic.

Headed up to Portland in a couple weeks and think I'll take a lesson from a fella up there that's a big Trackman fan. I really want to look at driver closer and gather some control. I feel like I should be able to hit a shot with 225 yards of carry that's very accurate and then swing a little harder and know I'll lose accuracy. Right now, I basically have to go 95% at a cut to keep it on the fairway.

I agree about the fight. Last two rounds (not on Grint Hammy unfortunately), I have started off really slow/not well. Had to fight back and shot some respectable scores.

Monday went +6 on the front (started with 4 straight bogies). Then went on to shoot +2 on the back..... getting closer just need to start better

Well. The guy who posted about his lesson with Dan has helped me put a final piece together. He said Dan told him to feel like he got his trail shoulder over his lead foot in the backswing. I've played 4 rounds with this - basically you are really getting a solid shoulder turn (need to be sure you aren't turning flat). First attempt, I hit one to the 125 marker on our opening 424 par 4. Yes, it was sketchy in those rounds since I haven't gone to the range - my miss was a deep, left of left.

Played yesterday with another member - easy 77 with double on 2 when I hit the big pull miss and a double on 8 when I chunked my tee ball and bladed my pitch over the back of the day. I don't know exactly how far I am hitting it but I'm hitting 9i from 145-150, 7i 170, 5i 200, and I'm clocking my driver at least 260+ even out to 280ish. Best of the day was a 7i to tapin to a back pin on 178 yd #14. Thinking of moving back to the orange at 6800 versus the blue at 6400.

Here's our card. Short par 3's and par 5's with the meat being the par 4s. They've been kind keeping the bermuda to about 2 inches and the green's to about 10-11 - we have no green side rough just tight bermuda with false fronts and run offs into deep bunkers. Ross gives you room off the tee and makes you pay for missing the greens - I've had my share of greens hit only to find myself in a bunker or rolling off the front.

HolstonHillsSC.jpg

Here's our fairway bunkering on #7 as an example.

getImage.gif?ID=4611962

Hitting the ball pretty darn high too but not pop up stuff - my best are a tad lower and more penetrating. Things have dried out so the fairways are firm and we haven't had much wind this past week - but still I'm clearly carrying the ball way further - our greens are a bit soft so you get maybe a yard or two of roll out and a nice ball mark.

I need to refine my tempo and balance but I think my 3 years of work are paying off - next season will be maintain and improve the short game/putting. I've had to pinch my self thinking it was a one hit wonder - but 4 rounds in a row with no range time I think is enough to convince me it's solid.

Keep at it PJ and you'll get that break through . Enjoy Vegas. If anyone gets by the Smokies give a yell and we can get out and play. Holston is a fun course. It's so fun that my wife has taken the game back up a bit - and she once told me to get rid of her clubs. She's still looking for that first birdie but she usually gets a par every 9 holes we play.

Starting to make fraps. Still a bit to go in getting comfortable - it's reps like golf - the more you make them the less you think about the steps.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

I confess that I have never been able to think of a good nickname for glk. glk nice pic!

Registered Bladeocrat

Seriously! Never have a good one for him haha.

They call me "dude" at Starbucks. LOL.

I said like Big Lebowski? Got puzzled looks. Who knows.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Had a 3 putt bogey early today to drop one, then a triple on a par 3 and a double on a par 5 on the back 9 to shoot a 75. Haha. 15 holes at 3 under and 3 holes at 6 over.

Made the turn -1. Had a chance up until 13. Keep trying...

My round was similar - 4 over for 2 holes and 1 over for 16. But it was fun and full of much good versus the bad. Hope your's was too. One day it will all fall in place when you least expect it. I've shot par a handful of times and the first few I was more nervous than anything - the last time a few years back, I was real aggressive on the last two holes and had like 12 footers for birdies on each of them - alas it was not to be but it was fun.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Well. The guy who posted about his lesson with Dan has helped me put a final piece together. He said Dan told him to feel like he got his trail shoulder over his lead foot in the backswing. I've played 4 rounds with this - basically you are really getting a solid shoulder turn (need to be sure you aren't turning flat).

Funny, my struggles with my swing pretty much ended on Tuesday when I figured out the correct shoulder turn once again. After struggling to figure out wrist hinges and all the other things, the solution came with a steeper and proper shoulder turn. Even getting back down with the same, simple shoulder turn almost worked. :)

I've been terribly tired lately as I've been spending all of my time out on the course. On Friday we set up the course and rules for a two-day junior tournament at our home club and played a round in the evening. Saturday and Sunday went by working as the referee leaving for the course at 6 am and getting back home closer to 8 pm. Then we played rounds on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday trying to take in the last warmer days of the year.

The tournament was a season finale for the lowest level of junior tours organized by the national golf union. There were kids between 8 and 16 years and I have to say it was a joy watching the pure joy of playing of the youngest kids. They'd just remove the pin, drop it a couple of feet from the hole and start putting out, even if there was another ball right next to the cup. Pretty much no green reading and no regard to possibly hitting other balls or the pin. From tournament golf (and rules official) perspective, it looked slightly alarming though. :D

The kids were cool but I have to say the tendency for the girls to completely collapse and the rivers of tears after a bad shot or an unfortunate outcome caught me completely off guard (I don't have kids and those of my friends' are still much younger). I don't remember witnessing it in the previous tournaments I've officiated but there was plenty of it this weekend. The only one giving me trouble was some parent or team manager/custodian though. The tour in question doesn't allow caddies but when I was driving to the 11the tee box (from where I can see several holes) I noticed a group with four boys and one of the boys was telling another one "you can still make a bogey" and something else. I stopped them after they had putted out and asked what's going on and the one boy said he was caddying. Luckily the boy had started to caddy for his brother from the 10th tee after having finished his own round and there was only a two-shot penalty for the player. Once back at the clubhouse the kid ran into the custodian and told him what happened. The kid handled the situation well as he clearly understood they had done wrong but the man got angry, demanded me to show him the rule and wouldn't accept even the kid's word for it. After having shown the rule to him he got angry about how all the other competitions allow caddies but this one doesn't and we are the ones who made a mistake. I thought there was a lesson to learn for the kids to actually read and understand the rules but this jack*** certainly tried to teach all the wrong things to the kid. Oh well...

As for my own game, it's coming back, I hit good irons on Tuesday but halved the match thanks to atrocious putting. Wednesday wasn't quite as good but my short irons were on fire leaving me inside 10 feet - usually pin high more often than not but my putter was still way off. The weather forecast for the next twn days doesn't look too good. The temperatures will be staying below 50, rainy and windy.

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Landed in Vegas this morning at 1030 vegas time. Checked in and went to hard rock casino to eat. On the way out I played a little black jack.... ya that was interesting. Never been to a casino before and the table limit made me nervous. I should have just walked away but I decided what the hell. Haha oh well. Part of the experience to lose 20$ in 30 minutes?

Getting ready for dinner. Hope all is well here fellas.

Landed in Vegas this morning at 1030 vegas time. Checked in and went to hard rock casino to eat. On the way out I played a little black jack.... ya that was interesting. Never been to a casino before and the table limit made me nervous. I should have just walked away but I decided what the hell. Haha oh well. Part of the experience to lose 20$ in 30 minutes?

Getting ready for dinner. Hope all is well here fellas.

Had a neighbor back in the 90s. Precious metals salesman whose wife was a VP at Sanford. His parents lived in Carmel, Ind and were multi, multi millionaires. Money was no issue - she collected expensive antiques and he collected things with 4 wheels - including the hottest go cart in the neighborhood. So for New Year's and his birthday one year, she sends him to a Streisand concert in Vegas - he flies out that am to fly back with the red eye - like you he stops at the casino before the show - unlike you he wins $1K. Like he needed it. LOL.

Have fun.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Hope you have a great trip PJ!!

Played a simulated round last night at a different simulator, the one I usually go to is under Renovations right now. Played TpC Sawgrass and shot a 41/34 for 75. Best shot of the night was the second shot on the 9th hole, standing 265y out and couldn’t even see the green. Pull 3 wood, aim way right and smashed it lol. The ball curved right out and around the treas on the left side and Wound up 8’ from the pin and then I l three putted for par ffs!! I don’t much care for simulated putting at all lol. Oh well :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

After just one acupuncture treatment, my rotator cuff feels better than it has in months.

I still can't golf though.

Registered Bladeocrat