2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

Heartbreak will be bad but it is coming.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

LOL glk I'm starting to think hell is going to freeze.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Balls thru durham's legs, Bartman, and now .....

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I confess I'm too cheap to even buy the Costco KS ball. But I can't wait to find them.

:D Haha, nothing like finding a "one and done" nice one!

I don't remember the last time I actually bought a golf ball. It may have been over five years ago now. I am such a ball hawk at my club that I have at least a 10 dozen stock of proV1s and V1Xs - all found and in good condition. And this doesn't count my shag bag full of older V1s. I find more 3+ piece balls than I can lose.

I won't buy balls and tees but I will buy clubs and green fees. (Logic need not apply.)

I buy fresh, I don't lose too many I just wear them out then they go into the shag bag so I can practice with my "game" ball. Also, they inspect your balls (lol) at tournaments. You basically register the make and model and you can't switch at any point during the tournament or your DQ'd. So you better have some ballzzzzz

Going to Costco today. Going to check on the golf balls. See that they are out of stock online. This may rival their sale of hotdogs and rotisserie chicken.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

I confess I'm too cheap to even buy the Costco KS ball. But I can't wait to find them.

I don't remember the last time I actually bought a golf ball. It may have been over five years ago now. I am such a ball hawk at my club that I have at least a 10 dozen stock of proV1s and V1Xs - all found and in good condition. And this doesn't count my shag bag full of older V1s. I find more 3+ piece balls than I can lose.

I won't buy balls and tees but I will buy clubs and green fees. (Logic need not apply.)

I buy fresh, I don't lose too many I just wear them out then they go into the shag bag so I can practice with my "game" ball. Also, they inspect your balls (lol) at tournaments. You basically register the make and model and you can't switch at any point during the tournament or your DQ'd. So you better have some ballzzzzz

I could easily put together sets of the exact same model of V1s and V1Xs that I have found. My 100+ ball shag bag is all the same V1...solid black line with two dots. And my normal stash is almost always consistent in this regard too. I put V1s in my gamer bag and V1Xs in my backup bags. I always use up the older models first too, so the main stash has the most recent versions. I also will play all my other found 3+ piece balls NOT V1 and V1X first too. I have a "system" to constantly segregate all the balls I find by make and model so I have consistent stashes of them. LOL this system is why I have over 10 dozen of the same V1s and V1Xs (the newest model with the light grey arrows). If and when I play a tournament, I'm covered.

Call me OCD like that.

Registered Bladeocrat

Funny this topic is being discussed as there's snow on the ground over here and I had spare time. That means I did my annual ball inventory and finally figured out the different ProV1 models and sorted them accordingly.

The previous season I lost 60 more balls than I found but still had 484 left (plus 60 I'm giving away). I thought this year would be better because I lost fewer balls and there were a couple of rounds where I was playing as a single and got stuck behind proper traffic jams. Getting tired of hitting second shots, practicing chipping etc. (or in case I'm actually playing a round by the rules aiming for a score) I eventually started hawking for balls. The "best" round ended about 70 balls in the black.

I thought I might be up by about 50 balls or so but to my surprise the number was 281. That's just ridiculous. :D 40 Rock Flites, Dunlops etc I'll be giving away, 75 tour balls and the rest fall in between (NXT Tour, AD333, e6...). Now I've got 60 dozen balls to last a couple of more years. :)

It was also interesting to figure out I have a couple of the original, 1999 ProV1s. I wonder if they're still playable, they probably can't be any worse than the DT Wounds I came across. :D

Swing DNA: 91/4/3/6/6
Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

Funny this topic is being discussed as there's snow on the ground over here and I had spare time. That means I did my annual ball inventory and finally figured out the different ProV1 models and sorted them accordingly.

The previous season I lost 60 more balls than I found but still had 484 left (plus 60 I'm giving away). I thought this year would be better because I lost fewer balls and there were a couple of rounds where I was playing as a single and got stuck behind proper traffic jams. Getting tired of hitting second shots, practicing chipping etc. (or in case I'm actually playing a round by the rules aiming for a score) I eventually started hawking for balls. The "best" round ended about 70 balls in the black.

I thought I might be up by about 50 balls or so but to my surprise the number was 281. That's just ridiculous. :D 40 Rock Flites, Dunlops etc I'll be giving away, 75 tour balls and the rest fall in between (NXT Tour, AD333, e6...). Now I've got 60 dozen balls to last a couple of more years. :)

It was also interesting to figure out I have a couple of the original, 1999 ProV1s. I wonder if they're still playable, they probably can't be any worse than the DT Wounds I came across. :D

LOL nice post! Great minds think alike. That is some OCD ball hawking. LMAO 60 dozen!!! I have hauled in about two dozen premium balls max in a single hawk round. 70 is a lot.

I'm to the point now in operating in the black so long that I don't even bother with < 3 piece balls. I scour the creek that runs through my course and I just toss the undesirables next to it. I've become a ball hawk "snob". The NXT Tour (or equivalent) is the lowest "quality" ball that I will keep and even then it is not every time I find one.

Somehow in my head I'm justifying buying clubs and green fees by avoiding paying for balls and tees. It has become a ridiculous game now that I can't stop. So I hope to find some Kirkland balls from Costco. I'm also to the point that I've told my family NOT to give me balls as a gift.

Registered Bladeocrat

A gave a co-worker a sleeve of the Kirklands today. Surprised him to thank him for a little favor last week. I think they're going to do very well with that golf ball. I see a lot of guys where I live switching to this ball next year. Funny, I think they'll steal more business from lower end balls than the ProV1 market. I bet it pushes the Project A and some other lower end urethane balls out of the market all together.

The finish was something else last night. That's the most exciting World Series game 7 I think I've ever seen.

LOL nice post! Great minds think alike. That is some OCD ball hawking. LMAO 60 dozen!!! I have hauled in about two dozen premium balls max in a single hawk round. 70 is a lot.

I'm to the point now in operating in the black so long that I don't even bother with < 3 piece balls. I scour the creek that runs through my course and I just toss the undesirables next to it. I've become a ball hawk "snob". The NXT Tour (or equivalent) is the lowest "quality" ball that I will keep and even then it is not every time I find one.

Somehow in my head I'm justifying buying clubs and green fees by avoiding paying for balls and tees. It has become a ridiculous game now that I can't stop. So I hope to find some Kirkland balls from Costco. I'm also to the point that I've told my family NOT to give me balls as a gift.

Yeah, 70 was a lot. :D The more difficult course at my home club is a narrow one with tree lines pretty much all around. I'm not talking about some nice parkland trees in the mowed rough but wilderness with rocks, shrubs, dense undergrowth (blueberries etc.), people simply lose a ton of balls and apparently there are places where people don't go searching for them. Figuring out those spots (and with a bit of luck), I found out that 20 balls on one hole didn't seem all that impossible. :D

There was a certain addictive element to the whole thing. "There's no one behind me and there's a jam in front of me, I'll just have a quick look". :D Then you find five or more in some place and want to go looking for more even though you know you don't need them. Maybe it's a bit like that Pokemon thing. :)

I don't like "wasting" money on necessities, which includes golf balls, so I guess a couple of successful hawking rounds a year will let me spend that money on something more interesting. Also, being a bit of an environmentalist, I've made a good deed by getting those balls out from the nature (and not buying new ones).

Woods: ST 180 or MP-650 - Irons: MP-H5 / MP-53 / MP-4, KBS Tour S - 50º: MP-T5 / 55º: FG Tour PMP  / 60º: RTX ZipCore - Mizuno Bettinardi BC-4

The schism.... oh I must confess that during that time I had to step away for a while just because I couldn't stand reading all of it haha. I stopped even coming to the 19th hole and only stayed in the tour/pre release threads for the most part. Oh well. I probably needed a break haha.

Sad to say I didn't get to watch a single game of the World Series. Happy for both teams to play so well and happy for the cubs to break the drought.

I don't buy golf balls often, but I am starting to try and play only one golf ball now. Good thing is I'm losing a lot less balls these days as the game has turned a corner (more on that in a minute) but bad as the balls I have landed on are a bit pricey. I forget what my sig says but I have been playing really well with the chrome soft and Wilson duo urethane. Both feel great and give me what I need from the tee to putting the ball into hole.

Lately I have been striking the ball really well. Scores haven't reflected it too much but that's from trying a new putter out (it's officially out of the bag and the Byron is going right back in haha) and fighting a random miss left that when it does pop up It is on holes that cannot go left and it kills me. (2-3 times a round). Today I finally found out that I can go low. I'm talking mid to upper 70s. I ended up with an 86 but thru 15 I was +6. During those 15 I had 3 birdie chances inside 6 feet. Didn't convert any. All lipped out. Had another from 12 that I missed a foot left due to thinking it would break and it did not. 16: hit a tee shot slightly right and had to chip out from behind a tree to middle of fairway. Having 85 left, I skull my 56* over the green. Hit a great flop shot to 6 feet and convert the bogey. Not bad but now I need buckle down in order to break 80. 17: hit a bomb on par 5 about 270 out. Layup with 7 iron to about 105. Hit the 56 and left face open and shanked it into the pond on the right. Drop and pull my 56 left and have a difficult chip to the green. Nice flop to about an inch that was one revolution short of going in. Tap in for 7. 18: big nasty left miss comes up and it goes OB. Re-tee and yank another left OB. Finally get one into the fairway but very short and leaves me 220 On a long par 4. Hit 3 iron 10 yards short of the green. Skull the chip shot, skull the chip back to where I was and chunk the next chip. Two putt. That is how you effectively mess it up big time gentlemen haha. Also on those first 15, I had 2 three putts after hitting Gir. Those were not the birdie chances mentioned above. So I know I can do it. Just have to fine tune some more.

Sorry for the long winded post but if you're reading it then thank you and hope all is well with y'all.

Forever Changing at this point.......

Yeah, 70 was a lot. :D The more difficult course at my home club is a narrow one with tree lines pretty much all around. I'm not talking about some nice parkland trees in the mowed rough but wilderness with rocks, shrubs, dense undergrowth (blueberries etc.), people simply lose a ton of balls and apparently there are places where people don't go searching for them. Figuring out those spots (and with a bit of luck), I found out that 20 balls on one hole didn't seem all that impossible. :D

There was a certain addictive element to the whole thing. "There's no one behind me and there's a jam in front of me, I'll just have a quick look". :D Then you find five or more in some place and want to go looking for more even though you know you don't need them. Maybe it's a bit like that Pokemon thing. :)

I don't like "wasting" money on necessities, which includes golf balls, so I guess a couple of successful hawking rounds a year will let me spend that money on something more interesting. Also, being a bit of an environmentalist, I've made a good deed by getting those balls out from the nature (and not buying new ones).

Haha I'm the same way about buying necessities. I hate "wasting" my money haha. But yet I'll go out and buy a new putter or other club that I def don't need just to try and find "the one!"

Haha I'm the same way about buying necessities. I hate "wasting" my money haha. But yet I'll go out and buy a new putter or other club that I def don't need just to try and find "the one!"

I'm the exact same way too and also with everything Halebopp just posted. It is basically an obsessive Pokemon quest...gotta hawk 'em all!

BTW Halebopp I was wondering if you were a native Finn or an expat. Also how is the golf over there?

Registered Bladeocrat

Papa, your right there Bro! Great round, just a few bad shots. Plus with the lipped out putts it really could have been a special round for you. That's golf, these are the growing pains man, don't worry I remember that exact phase in my game. Seventies are coming, just think back to the couple of shot that really cost you and ask yourself what you did different. A lipped out putt is still a good stroke so don't sweat that at all. Get out there and break 80 now!!

I'm the exact same way too and also with everything Halebopp just posted. It is basically an obsessive Pokemon quest...gotta hawk 'em all!

BTW Halebopp I was wondering if you were a native Finn or an expat. Also how is the golf over there?

I'm not too ball hawkish, I'm a tee hawk though! Especially the broken ones, I like to save them for par 3's. Also, I have a thing where I only like wood tees. Yeah they break, but I also break most plastic tees too. Not to mention they get all deformed and the ball won't balance.

Thanks ham! I can feel it haha. It was crazy about my mindset today. Ever since that just crush it round I have had no swing thoughts except line up where your want to hit it and swing away naturally. It's awesome. Today I was at total ease throughout the round. Never a huge worry in my head.

Tees.... ever since using my plastic orange tees, I cannot use wooden ones now except the broken ones on par 3s. Need the plastic haha.

Also on the mindset, I am finally back to full on feel golfing. I get my yardage, but I think of what shot shape I want to hit and 8/10 times today I hit the shape I wanted with no extra thinking. It was, "ok, 140 to the pin, let's aim right, choke down on the 8 and hit an easy shot moving back to the left." Most of the time my ball did just that. It was an awesome feeling

At some point, even for me, you just need to play golf. Not golf swing (we've all been guilty of that at some point haha). Now to play consistently in the 70's or your best golf then there has to be a balance of swing focus (on the range only!!). But as far as your smash ball method, I say stick with it. When I play my best golf all I'm doing is visualizing the shot, focusing on my target and making it happen. I don't care what my swing looks like. Aim at target and smash it!

Edit: Natural golf to me is reactionary golf. See it and just let it happen.

That's exactly what I'm doing haha. And with my Byron back in the bag I'm sure more putts will fall. I was testing a putter that I won here from Cleveland for a few rounds. It's very nice, but is a little too soft for me and I couldn't get distance control down. The roll it out on the ball was great though.

Going down to Kiawah on Monday to play again. Course today is not easy by any means but it's more generous in some aspects than the courses down in Kiawah mainly the rough. It was pretty dead already and wispy so very easy to pop the ball up with control.

That's exactly what I'm doing haha. And with my Byron back in the bag I'm sure more putts will fall. I was testing a putter that I won here from Cleveland for a few rounds. It's very nice, but is a little too soft for me and I couldn't get distance control down. The roll it out on the ball was great though.

Going down to Kiawah on Monday to play again. Course today is not easy by any means but it's more generous in some aspects than the courses down in Kiawah mainly the rough. It was pretty dead already and wispy so very easy to pop the ball up with control.

Nice, enjoy yourself. Someday I'll make it out that way and perhaps we can tee it up at Kiawah or somewhere else.

Nice, enjoy yourself. Someday I'll make it out that way and perhaps we can tee it up at Kiawah or somewhere else.

Any time brah! Be happy to have you!

At some point, even for me, you just need to play golf. Not golf swing (we've all been guilty of that at some point haha). Now to play consistently in the 70's or your best golf then there has to be a balance of swing focus (on the range only!!). But as far as your smash ball method, I say stick with it. When I play my best golf all I'm doing is visualizing the shot, focusing on my target and making it happen. I don't care what my swing looks like. Aim at target and smash it!

The body WANTS to use the least amount of effort (i.e. energy) in order to hit the ball. It WANTS to hit a good shot and this is 100% aligned with the physics of it all (turn with low MOI for as long as possible to generate clubhead velocity...then release it into the ball...all on an efficient and balanced...wait for it...PLANE). All you have to do is get your MIND out of the way.

And with me I could not get my mind out of the way until AFTER I understood the pure physics behind the swing and impact. Now that I understand it all better from this perspective, I can trust my body and subconscious and what I feel much more. Basically for me becoming more technical is what enables me to play and swing naturally and by feel. I was the same way with skateboarding. I had to know exactly how to flip the board from a mechanics perspective, and only after that is when I could execute it instinctively...with TONS of trial and error practice!!!

Registered Bladeocrat

The body WANTS to use the least amount of effort (i.e. energy) in order to hit the ball. It WANTS to hit a good shot and this is 100% aligned with the physics of it all (turn with low MOI for as long as possible to generate clubhead velocity...then release it into the ball...all on an efficient and balanced...wait for it...PLANE). All you have to do is get your MIND out of the way.

And with me I could not get my mind out of the way until AFTER I understood the pure physics behind the swing and impact. Now that I understand it all better from this perspective, I can trust my body and subconscious and what I feel much more. Basically for me becoming more technical is what enables me to play and swing naturally and by feel. I was the same way with skateboarding. I had to know exactly how to flip the board from a mechanics perspective, and only after that is when I could execute it instinctively...with TONS of trial and error practice!!!

I'm the same way with drums, and I would say golf too. The better I understand what's actually happening it makes it much easier to link the feel to the technique. Once that happens, as you stated, you can then really let go, and trust everything. I completely agree! However, I did go through the over analysis phase on the course where I was constantly trying to put my body and the club into a position, I didn't play so well then, but I also didn't really understand the swing as I do now. It'll be interesting to see if I can calm the mind and trust I have the mechanics down.

LOL, I hope I just made sense. This new diet is making me super hyper hahaha

I'm the same way with drums, and I would say golf too. The better I understand what's actually happening it makes it much easier to link the feel to the technique. Once that happens, as you stated, you can then really let go, and trust everything. I completely agree! However, I did go through the over analysis phase on the course where I was constantly trying to put my body and the club into a position, I didn't play so well then, but I also didn't really understand the swing as I do now. It'll be interesting to see if I can calm the mind and trust I have the mechanics down.

LOL, I hope I just made sense. This new diet is making me super hyper hahaha

Makes complete sense. The thing is, no lie and intended shot shape is the same anyway, so technically every shot needs some adjustment to the "standard" that you have instinctively ingrained. Thus, it is almost impossible to have the mechanics 100% down for every single shot, so at some point it ends.

It is definitely hard to decouple the mind from it all. As soon as something goes wrong, and for sure it will, the swing analyst and troubleshooter inside all of us is going to take over for a bit.

One of my goals this season, and just about the only goal I met, was to be able to RECOVER (or rather to understand the WHY and HOW to recover), within the same round, from losing my swing and hitting a bad shot. And there is no way I could do this without being mechanical and analytical. But to your point there is a point where you MUST turn off the analyst. It's a delicate balance.

Also I am thoroughly enjoying exploring the swing on my own and through trying to understand how others see their own swing. It really helps to get someone else's perspective. I enjoy this much better than listening to a pro telling me what to do without being able to explain exactly why in a way that matches my understanding of the physics. In fact, I will submit that everyone is actually analyzing the game to the limit of their own understanding of the science of it all. Point being is that everyone is also a technical player whether they want to admit it or not. I think when folks shut down the technical side of the swing is when they no longer can (or maybe want to) understand it to their own technical level. Whether you see the game as simply as "stick hit ball" or as complicated as "stick with inflexible face hit ball with square path, square face, and shallow AoA based on swinging with low MOI on a balanced swing plane and then releasing the clubhead with maximum centripetal force into the ball while maintaining a stable center of the swing...", it is still the same thing: you are seeing the science and technical aspects only to the level of your technical background (or desire). As soon as it becomes too "complicated" in your own mind, it starts shutting it all down because it no longer makes any sense.

Before The Great Confessions Schism, I was in a PM with three other WRXers where we were all sharing our perspective of the swing and our swing theories. And what I learned when I started explaining my model of the universal physics of all good swings (aka my "DUST" model I have mentioned earlier in this thread) is that each one of the three had a different level as to what they could understand and not. Correspondingly, each of the three had a similar level where they admittedly stopped wanting to be technical and just be a feel player.

Registered Bladeocrat

I am a native and I'm feeling restless as the ground is covered with snow at the moment. It should get warmer by the end of the month so there's a slight chance of getting a couple of more rounds in this year. It would certainly ease the wait for the Masters as it is usually the same week or the week before the courses open over here. Usually I'm content to put the clubs away for the winter when the courses close but this time around I feel like I still have some good rounds and shots in me.