2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

> @billh17 said:

> There was a huge downturn in auto sales in the 80's and early 90's. Finally determined the problem that the prices out ran the available financial methods and people could not afford the payments. Then came the

> 48 month payment.. Bankers hated it...predicted foreclosures....five years later came the 6o month...

> now they are up to 72 and 84 month in order for people to handle the monthly payment. They are pricing the cars beyond the ability of the people they sell them to,so they have to make the longer terms to keep the dealers from going under...and sticking the local banks with the debt they have....its a large circle !

What a mess! Sounds like something that can't be sustained. Maybe time to bring back that old song "In a Yugo" LMAO

> @billh17 said:

> There was a huge downturn in auto sales in the 80's and early 90's. Finally determined the problem that the prices out ran the available financial methods and people could not afford the payments. Then came the

> 48 month payment.. Bankers hated it...predicted foreclosures....five years later came the 6o month...

> now they are up to 72 and 84 month in order for people to handle the monthly payment. They are pricing the cars beyond the ability of the people they sell them to,so they have to make the longer terms to keep the dealers from going under...and sticking the local banks with the debt they have....its a large circle !

This is why you lease. In three years you get a new car. You don't have to worry about repairs and the lease company has to deal with the used car. You get something new for a similar payment without having to pay for something until it's virtually worthless.

I have different views about money and ownership than most folks. Never borrow money for a declining asset. If you can't buy it outright, rent it and that should apply to real estate as well!

Back to cars: Uber is going to be the biggest disruptive technology to the car industry as we know it!

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> > @billh17 said:

> > There was a huge downturn in auto sales in the 80's and early 90's. Finally determined the problem that the prices out ran the available financial methods and people could not afford the payments. Then came the

> > 48 month payment.. Bankers hated it...predicted foreclosures....five years later came the 6o month...

> > now they are up to 72 and 84 month in order for people to handle the monthly payment. They are pricing the cars beyond the ability of the people they sell them to,so they have to make the longer terms to keep the dealers from going under...and sticking the local banks with the debt they have....its a large circle !

>

> This is why you lease. In three years you get a new car. You don't have to worry about repairs and the lease company has to deal with the used car. You get something new for a similar payment without having to pay for something until it's virtually worthless.

>

> I have different views about money and ownership than most folks. Never borrow money for a declining asset. If you can't buy it outright, rent it and that should apply to real estate as well!

>

> Back to cars: Uber is going to be the biggest disruptive technology to the car industry as we know it!

3 things determine the value of real estate....1. Location 2. Location 3. Location. If their real state is a declining

asset they got one of those 3 wrong when they bought it.

• Like 1

> @Conrad1953 said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > > @billh17 said:

> > > There was a huge downturn in auto sales in the 80's and early 90's. Finally determined the problem that the prices out ran the available financial methods and people could not afford the payments. Then came the

> > > 48 month payment.. Bankers hated it...predicted foreclosures....five years later came the 6o month...

> > > now they are up to 72 and 84 month in order for people to handle the monthly payment. They are pricing the cars beyond the ability of the people they sell them to,so they have to make the longer terms to keep the dealers from going under...and sticking the local banks with the debt they have....its a large circle !

> >

> > This is why you lease. In three years you get a new car. You don't have to worry about repairs and the lease company has to deal with the used car. You get something new for a similar payment without having to pay for something until it's virtually worthless.

> >

> > I have different views about money and ownership than most folks. Never borrow money for a declining asset. If you can't buy it outright, rent it and that should apply to real estate as well!

> >

> > Back to cars: Uber is going to be the biggest disruptive technology to the car industry as we know it!

>

> 3 things determine the value of real estate....1. Location 2. Location 3. Location. If their real state is a declining

> asset they got one of those 3 wrong when they bought it.

It's not the declining real estate that's the problem. It's the cost of ownership that outstrips the return. In many cases the opportunity cost far outstrips its return, but these figures are not published. Most folks end up being real estate rich and cash poor. Now we have off shore individuals driving up the price of real estate because they are coming from higher cost jurisdictions, but people keep stretching themselves out because they view rent as a waste when they could own without fulling factoring in the costs of ownership. Owning a house is not an investment, it's an expense, but no one sees it that way. If it was an investment it would earn an income, yet home ownership is rarely cheaper than renting.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Reasonability said:

> Tol,

>

> May we assume all is well with you bride? Hoping so and wanted to make sure.

>

> Scomacer, how long is curling season league-wise? Do the teams play and practice year round or mainly during league season? Do some teams travel long distances to participate or is it all local folk?

Yes thank you all is well, appointments yesterday were to see the doctors for the pre op meeting, Monday is O day. ?

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

> @scomac2002 said:

> > @Reasonability said:

> > Scomacer, how long is curling season league-wise? Do the teams play and practice year round or mainly during league season? Do some teams travel long distances to participate or is it all local folk?

>

> A curling question? I thought that I wore you guys out with that last year when I had nothing better to do, but talk about it?

>

> In this neck of the woods the curling season starts in early October and runs through to mid April. The pros go longer; from September to the end of April. My son and DIL out in Penticton are already done as it's real spring out there already.

>

> There's travel if that's what you want to do to be in competitive events. League curlers for the most part will stick to their home clubs.

>

> The women's worlds just finished up on Sunday. They were in Denmark with a Swiss squad prevailing over the heavily favoured Swedish outfit. It was a great game and I was happy that the underdogs won. The thing is that the Swedes have been runner's up for three years in a row now and they will begin to wonder if they can ever get the big prize.

>

> The men's worlds start on Saturday and are being held in Lethbridge Alberta. I would think that the Canadians and the Swedes will be co-favourites.

>

> Getting back to the real world, I know that my wife has about had enough of the curling rink. She has 4 games left over the next two weeks. She's forgoing the club championships as she has had enough of curling this year. She says that she's not really enjoying it this year because I'm not playing despite the fact that I go and watch her and eat afterwards with her team. I'm not sure what the difference is because we didn't play on the same teams so you'd think things were pretty much the same as always otherwise.

>

>

My wife is much the same, if we start something together even though we are in different groups we are both there or both home.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @billh17 said:

> > @Reasonability said:

> > > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > > @Fellaheen51 said:

> > > > Once one gets their "Cake Party", makes the retirement official. So congrats again. Enjoy your party on Friday. Fingers crossed for sunny skies and warm temps for your "Goodby Party". Wow, two parties. I've always sensed that you were a valued employee and respected manager. Getting the two party treatment sorta proves that. ?

> > > > _________________

> > > >

> > > > That's right Sixty. MSU v. LSU with the tipoff scheduled for 7:09. Would think they're might be some folks in C-Bus pulling for us. Get the sense there has developed a certain respect between the two schools in athletic endeavors. That Buckeye fans would root for MSU (B1G) as long as they were not playing against OSU. Perhaps it's the shared loathing of that "other" school. In a "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" sort of way. Could have been "them" scheduled at party time, and a general level of hostility would be in the air.

> > > >

> > > This is absolutely true, I would like to see MSU take it all the way now. That would be totally delightful...

> >

> >

> > A couple of thingies.

> >

> > No one here lives or dies by the sword of my approval. Makes zero difference to the universe what I think.

> >

> > But, I just wanted to say, all kidding about badges and points aside, I'm proud of you gents. Very much so. The points and showing up on the leaderboard is a testament to who you guys are.

> >

> > It's an honor and a pleasure.

> >

> > Sixty, way to go out with a bang! "SomePing" tells me you and retirement will be beautiful partners. You sir are cleared for landing. Another flight awaits.

> >

> > Oh, and here's a Judge Reason stab at playing ball by the new rules. @billh17 drives a cool truck!!! (How'd I do?).

> >

> > Fella, thank you for the "likes" update. You're right, it isn't the end of the world either way. But we also all bothered to spread the love for so long, it seems a shame to incenerate them. Fingers crossed for us all. And btw, did you see how close Duke came to going down??? Looked to these eyes UCF had their number.

> >

>

> Thanks for the compliment ! My truck is a lovingly cared for 2010 Ram 150,125,000 miles,hemi .

> I baby it like its new. It will probably be my last vehicle,so i want to leave it to my Granddaughter in

> good shape !

DW should be slowing down but 18 months ago she purchased a sports saloon car and she has a very heavy right foot.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

This is the 3D printer my son is designing and building, it will eventually print several colours on the same object. Bit of a mess right now, will update it when finished, no idea when that will be.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @Conrad1953 said:

> This may sound weird to some but I actually hope the likes don't get restored. I said a few times that

> the reason I had so many was that I posted more than anyone else in all the Confessions threads and

> here in the Grille. Post for post I didn't receive any more likes than anyone else and I shouldn't have

> in all honesty.

>

> Out in the rest of the forum you just never knew. I got plenty out there "in the wild" but have no idea

> how many. Safe to say the vast vast majority came from the Grille and Confessions......oh and the

> Learning and Wager threads back in 2014 (both started by Pigems) where some of us first decided

> to hang out .......................until we hijacked the first Confessions thread from Drudersh and took it

> into the hinterlands and got plunked by the mods into the 19th hole.

>

> BTW, Drudersh was one of the ones I saw complaining about losing his likes. He lost a lot more than

> that by not sticking around in his own thread, lol. I do think he did come back later and saw what we

> did with his thread and was happy to see it still going......but didn't stick around.

>

> Anyway, I think it's probably good to wipe that "like" slate clean and start over.

>

>

I hope you do get restored Rad. It's only right, yours speak for longevity. It's one thing being liked, it's another being liked for such a long time. That tells the true picture for sure.

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > Got it I think, will see when this is uploaded

> Great job with the pic tol. Now I can see your new paintings in full size coming in the future. That will make them even more magnificent.

>

>

You say the nicest things, no wonder they loved you at work.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @billh17 said:

> @ Sixty

> thanks for the kind words. Hard to believe the cost of new trucks today. They are well over 40grand

> for 4WD. When I hit 120,000 miles I was thinking about trading,but after pricing new and a few years

> old ,ijust decided to keep what i had. Put new tires,shocks,brakes on and never thought about it again.

Vehicles are priced out of whack. When I bought my ATS in 2017, the sticker was over $40K for the base model. I originally picked out a metallic light blue one, then decided to get a silver one instead. (I thought the blue was more of a "girl's color.) When the salesman called me to tell me he found a silver car, he said, "IT's even cheaper than the blue one." Imagine, telling a guy buying a new Cadillac that. Initially, he had shown me cars up to $75K. I guess I did buy a "cheap" one.

Anyhow, I wanted a new Cadillac, before I croak. My 2002 Deville was in excellent condition, never sat out, 78K miles. Besides some buying incentives, I got $1.5K for that beautiful car on trade. The dealer didn't even want it.

I hope I wear out (ha ha) the ATS. Doubt it, with 2,300 miles in almost two years. Blue book trade in is less than $20K.

Typing is faster than showing up on the screen. Never had that problem on the old site.

Really aggravating.

• Like 2

I don't know what to tell you, Wriggs. But honestly, I haven't been experiencing any of the functionality issues that you have with the new site. It's not like I have a newer system either as this desktop has got to be over 10 years old now.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Wriggles said:

> > @billh17 said:

> > @ Sixty

> > thanks for the kind words. Hard to believe the cost of new trucks today. They are well over 40grand

> > for 4WD. When I hit 120,000 miles I was thinking about trading,but after pricing new and a few years

> > old ,ijust decided to keep what i had. Put new tires,shocks,brakes on and never thought about it again.

> Vehicles are priced out of whack. When I bought my ATS in 2017, the sticker was over $40K for the base model. I originally picked out a metallic light blue one, then decided to get a silver one instead. (I thought the blue was more of a "girl's color.) When the salesman called me to tell me he found a silver car, he said, "IT's even cheaper than the blue one." Imagine, telling a guy buying a new Cadillac that. Initially, he had shown me cars up to $75K. I guess I did buy a "cheap" one.

> Anyhow, I wanted a new Cadillac, before I croak. My 2002 Deville was in excellent condition, never sat out, 78K miles. Besides some buying incentives, I got $1.5K for that beautiful car on trade. The dealer didn't even want it.

> I hope I wear out (ha ha) the ATS. Doubt it, with 2,300 miles in almost two years. Blue book trade in is less than $20K.

>

> Typing is faster than showing up on the screen. Never had that problem on the old site.

> Really aggravating.

>

>

It’s annoying with cars and most other good nowerdays, own them for five minutes and they lose half their value. The other thing that really gets to me is the built in obsolescence, we had a problem with our air conditioner this week, it took them three visits to fix a problem they talked about in the first five minutes of the first visit, then proceeded to charge me what I though was excessive amount. Talking to the service manager during my complaint call he said what do you expect the unit is ten years old, they cost $25,000 to install, I expect more life than that. Not paid the bill and have had no reply for three days, I had already paid $200 for a service call out. Anyway we were looking at an ad for freezers this week and it said expect to get up to ten years out of a new one, last year we purchased a new freezer to replace one that was twenty three years old and that was only because of rust on the outside.

They don’t make stuff like they used to and the young set now have accepted a throw away society, I never will.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I was upstairs putzing around with a few clubs yesterday including getting the daily allotment in of practice putts and decided to pull out my SeeMore PTM3 to give it a go. It's quite a bit lighter than the putter I just built, but i was rolling them really well with it. Better than with the new build if i'm honest with myself. Probably the heavy putter has helped with my stroke making sure that it's straight back, straight through so that I don't have the tendency to hook my putts when I have a bit too much arc in the stroke. I remember when I first got that putter I was lights out with it for about a month and then the magic went on permanent hiatus. :confused:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

@ Scomac

had that same thing happen years ago with a wedge. Loved that club when i first got it. Hit it well. Beautiful

flight,drop and stop,everything golden. Two years later,i hated it. Couldn't hit it straight. Unplanned

draws,pulls,pushes, it got terrible,and it now sits in the old bag in the garage. Golf makes us do strange

things !

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

@billh17

I think it's something that we all go through. As a further example I pulled out those minty fresh Vokeys that I bought a year ago and was chipping with those like they were an old friend. Makes me wonder why I ever bought that chipper... Oh, I know now, if I can't play the game I have a nasty tendency to buy clubs! Foolish nonsense...

I now fully expect that I will show up at the course in about three weeks time with my frontline set that I was trying to sell late last year. Who knows, maybe that friend of my sons who was interested but short on cash has done me a favour because if he had the money at the time those clubs would now be residing in Penticton and miles from my hands (and mind)?

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Personally, I too prefer putting straight-back-through-Ish.

But I really love serving up little experiments and self proving methods to verify things for yourself. That (to me) is way more meaningful and useful than adopting anything just because old Reason or anyone else rants about it. Just like the wrist thing, Fella knew the difference in arm tension and speed versus how to use his wrists to get clubhead speed - and how to know for himself if he flipped it, or left it open thru impact by checking his trail palm position halfway up the follow-thru plane.

So here comes one of those things you can find out on your own about putting path, be it SBST, inside and down-the-line, arc from inside to the ball and back inside. Gimme a min to go write it up. I think you'll enjoy finding out something really cool on your own that makes putting mentally/emotionally 10x easier. Standby, talk amongst yourselves. Lol

• Like 1

@ Scomac

you are right ! If we all knew back then,what we know now,we all would have taken lessons...gotten down to the single digits HC...and then saved money to purchase a set of Miura's finest and never bought into

the OEM's " Newer,better,longer,straighter" nonsense !

• Like 1

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I am a SBST putter. It is what seems natural to me. never changed it. I have read articles on the Arc putting stroke,have seen others use it. The physics of it just seemed to me to require a very strong ability

to place the point of contact perfectly...anything other than that would end up with a right/left of

target line start, for me. So,having in my teeny thinking process decided that I wasn't that good,i stayed with

what worked for me,and have played with that all my life. They could give me a new set of Miuas

and after a month,they would work for me,or be on the selling block. This old dog is happy with his

game and will joyfully walk into the twilight of my time with what I have !

• Like 1

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

> @billh17 said:

> @ Scomac

> you are right ! If we all knew back then,what we know now,we all would have taken lessons...gotten down to the single digits HC...and then saved money to purchase a set of Miura's finest and never bought into

> the OEM's " Newer,better,longer,straighter" nonsense !

This is quite true @ Scomac, I mean how much longer and straighter can you get? Each year that ads make it sound like last year's technology from the same company, pretty much the same clubs, updated, which were the longest and straightest in the history of the universe have now been somehow eclipsed and are apparently nowhere near performing like their newest fascinating siblings. These of course will be worthless next time around. This is why I cut the chord and am playing with clubs I determined to be long and straight enough for me. I see the green, it goes that way. If I miss it, it's not the club's fault.

• Like 1

> @tolmij said:

> > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > @tolmij said:

> > > Got it I think, will see when this is uploaded

> > Great job with the pic tol. Now I can see your new paintings in full size coming in the future. That will make them even more magnificent.

> >

> >

> You say the nicest things, no wonder they loved you at work.

Well, it's a whole lot more enjoyable to talk about the nice things others do like in this case. Your talent is very much enjoyed and appreciated here.

• Like 1

Modern gurus are claiming the PATH of your putting stroke is almost inconsequential. But they're also saying that putter really needs to be squared-up to the intended target line since THAT one really is a big deal.

Hmmm. If that's true, I should be able to prove or disprove it quickly and easily myself. What's more, if that's true I "should" also be able to move it back/thru without the slightest worry about some mythically "perfect" arc. Hey if this one has legs, I don't have to perfectly repeat some "exact" stroke every time up. Heck, so long as I find a grip and setup that taps the back of that ball nice and square, then all I need to do is to tap that bad boy and let it coast to my intended spot straight down the tracks where slope, grain, wind, or whatever else awaits down range takes over.

Set a ball down and whack it however you typically do what you do. Doesn't matter that much how far it goes but try sending it somewhere around 8-12 feet for grins. Now, send a couple more to about the same spot and pay attention to the squareness of your putter face at impact to the intended downrange spot. However you personally do that - it's your own personal "thing" so just relax and let her roll as you tune-in the the squareness of the "tap" into the back of that stupid rock. Here's where it's about to get fun.

Take it WAY inside and finish WAY outside, still being aware you tapped it just as before with a nice square putter face at impact. Now do the opposite. Make that path monsterously out-to-in. And just for grins, make yourself a figure-8 loop motion thru the ball while still be aware of squareness as you actually tap it.

Where did the balls all go? Ever feel like you're struggling to swing that putter along a better path but just can't? How do you feel about that concern now?

Enjoy!

• Like 2

I remember coming on here back in the winter time talking up Golfvlog UK as a really unique take on golf YouTube channels. It was pretty entertaining watching a bunch of regular guys play this game rather than the endless club testing and the like that was typical.

WEll it doesn't take long before a bit of success and the need to produce content can ruin what was a pretty good channel. Now we often see the host just sitting there talking up the latest trip he's organizing with the golfmates or just adding in clips of support from various "subscribers". It has pretty much overnight become as dull as dishwater because he's not addressing the topics that he used to which were often time more than a bit controversial in the modern consumer centric world of golf. Too bad really. Easy come, easy go! :frowning:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

@ Reason

That is what I was meaning earlier when i said the arc just seemed to me to require me to be more precise in when my club impacted the ball. if i was off square even a little the results were not as good.

So my feeble brain interpreted that to mean that a SBST was the way for ME to go . After years of

baseball..some at a fairly high level,place hitting was my forte' and i could transpose that capability to

the putter and the target being the hole. Easy for me to see in my head,and it worked for ME.

• Like 2

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Also in the FWIW category, I completely agree the static weight, total length, lie-angle, and style of handle are big deals, especially when it comes to that flat stick. And this is precisely why I haven't changed putters in the last three decades. AND to reinforce you guy's point, I have experimented with adding weight to my beloved putter. Now, I've discovered I'm never 100% sure I've got weighted "perfectly" for me. And that journey is nonetheless all good. Have come to know "perfect" doesn't mean anything more or one thing less than what I feel good enough about. At the end of the day, all I'm shopping for is to put that stick in-hand and trust it without doubting it. If it's better (whatever "better" actually means once I'm done drinking around with it), that's plenty good enough for me. The next guy might hate it or love it. Lmao, I dunno what he'd think or do over the ball. All I know is I've sorta checked the box so to speak for me. Same with the grip, setup, and such. If she rolls in, great. If I miss, SHOOT ME! Lol.

• Like 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)