Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

> @BicknellCC said:

> You guys can all disagree with this post if you want to, just to see what happens. If I get sent to the penalty box, I can live with it.

Sorry Bicks. Have a piece of tape over the disagree button. So that I do not inadvertently hit it. Rather simply pass on a posting than let the WRX world know I disagree. Which could lead to a confrontational situation. Don't need that hassle. (There was a time when I likely would have used the Abuse button given the opportunity. I've mellowed since then.)

Yeah, I know. You were only conducting an experiment.

> @BicknellCC said:

> No worries, I was pretty sure the points leader would need a lot more posts, likes, and badges than I have. I am happy tto be on of the faceless rabble who applaud when royalty like Rad ride past in style ;)

Always figured Rad had posting game. And doing my part to keep him on top. At least through the first week. Hopefully he'll remember those of us that assisted in his ascension. For "Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown". There is always someone out there plotting to snatch it away

As perhaps you've discovered, likes and their ilk are easy to come by around here. Throw up any commentary, and we'll supply the necessary points gathering responses. Unlike <, where one can compose a well thought out posting and you get nada. NTTM in the grand scheme of things. Continue posting around here and you'll get on the Big Board eventually. FWIW and if it at all matters.

WTS, perhaps this badge/points thing is but a novelty. (Old guys can be easily entertained. Just that our attention span doesn't last all that long. Without substance.) Especially for those of us that have yet to play at golf this season. One day soon, all of us will be swinging clubs, playing, shanking, reengaging with the game. And we'll be sharing our stories of exhilarating success or retched failure with those that have kindred eyes. In short, back to regularly scheduled programming. And this whole points business will become secondary. Nevertheless, for the moment, kinda fun to view the current leaderboard. Stacked with Grillsters. Wondering if it elicits a fleeting thought from other WRX'ers...."Who are these guys and where did they come from?" Cinderella stories.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fella; I'd like to agree with it, like it and laugh all at the same time, but alas the system does not allow for such aggrandization. :frowning:

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Reasonability said:

> > @BicknellCC said:

> > > @Reasonability said:

> > > > @BicknellCC said:

> > > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > It seems from reading that thread that the IT people who are members here are the most critical of this

> > > > > rollout. I suppose that figures. > @BicknellCC said:

> > > > > > You guys can all disagree with this post if you want to, just to see what happens. If I get sent to the penalty box, I can live with it.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > There I did it. I don't think anything will happen. I was on a non Grille members profile earlier and noticed

> > > > > he had 7 disagrees and he's one of the most popular WRXers and has been for many years. If you post

> > > > > out in the wild you're gonna get 'em I'm sure.

> > > >

> > > > Well it shows up on my profile as a disagree, and no Reason, I have not looked into the points thing. Should I?

> > >

> > > Well you in particular are evidently at the top of the leaderboard so you can check it out with pride. Don't forget us little people - lol

> > If it's true it would be only the 3rd time in my 56 years my name has ever been at the top of any golf related leaderboard.

> > I have no idea where to look.

>

> My bad dude. Radro is the leaderboard #1. Got my wires crossed amid this new format. But to check it out, go to the top right at top of a page and click on your avitar. Then click on your profile. Your points total is in there with all sorts of other info.

>

> Back to the top right of a page... on that vertical wide bar to the right... a little bit down from your avitar is the word 'activity'. There's the leaderboard with Radro at #1.

>

> Sorry again about twisting up the facts earlier.

>

Deservedly so, go Rad go. Plus that Roadrunner on your avatar is working out well in conjunction with that...

• Like 1

> @tolmij said:

> None of these ever worked on the old system, watch out Grillers.

>

> ❤️⛩?☃️????‍♀️????‍?????

Where did they all come from? :confused:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Woke up with a very sore throat. So came to the Grille for a cup of good hot coffee. So far it feels better. I told Cyndy I need some bacon, and she said she never heard of anyone eating bacon for a sore throat. So I said it hasn't got anything to do with a sore throat, it's just that everyone needs bacon :p

• Like 1

Looking at the weather forecast, short term and long term I'm seeing upper 50's, 60's, and into April some 70's towards the end. This means golf. Got a text yesterday that our league starts on April 30th, $232 for the year, that's 16 evenings of 9 holes. How does that figure sound? Seems to me we get a fairly decent deal...

• Like 1

> @BicknellCC said:

> Sixty,

> if that includes cart rental it's a great deal. Even if it doesn't it's still reasonable. Do you pair with one guy for the whole season, or play as a individual rotating partners each week?

> @BicknellCC said:

> Sixty,

> if that includes cart rental it's a great deal. Even if it doesn't it's still reasonable. Do you pair with one guy for the whole season, or play as a individual rotating partners each week?

Bick, this includes the cart, you play different opponents each week of course, and you play with someone else on your team and their opponent (typically). Also, start time is 5:00 pm, however if you want to start earlier and your foursome agrees and can all make it there, you can start as early as 3:00, or postpone it to another weekday if one of the two of you can't make it that night. We have a scramble mid-season that's included in that fee. There are subs lined up to play for you if you can't play at all that week. Some people just sign up to be subs for the season as they get to play for free since they are playing for a pre-paid player.

• Like 2

> @scomac2002 said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > None of these ever worked on the old system, watch out Grillers.

> >

> > ❤️⛩?☃️????‍♀️????‍?????

>

> Where did they all come from? :confused:

At the bottom of my IPad keyboard there is a smiley face, press that and I have access to dozens of them all in different categories, select one and it appears the same as any letter.?

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

$22 for nine including the cart is a sweet deal in this part of the country, especially for those of us using Canuck bucks!

The curling club runs a golf league at the course up the road from me and the weekly fee is $22 for nine holes walking. Granted, you get treated to a wind-up BBQ at the end of the season, but it still seems like enough in comparison when I can play that course for $45 for 18 including the cart. The course my men's league plays at charges $24.50 for walking nines which is less relevant to me as long as I get a few shifts in I can play for free. We'll see what the season brings. :yum:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Another bright sunny morning in the newly revamped WRX world ! All seems well..have not heard of any

angry mobs marching on the HQ...no fearless leaders being hunted, so i guess things are getting familiar

to the masses. Everyone here appears ok, with the group slowly getting back to normal. The only thing

I will say is that I am really,really glad they changed the glaring white board to at least something less stark !

Here on my happy hill it is a frosty 27 degrees. Sounds like a pancakes , Amish Maple syrup with bacon kind

of morning !

• Like 2

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I was playing around with the search function this morning and I must say that it's a big improvement over the previous version. You now can toggle back to your search results without having to re-enter the search criteria. The only gripe at present is that the search function works for the entire site, not a specific forum, so that modification will be coming down the pipe at some point I imagine.

I was actually looking for some thoughts on the Aldila RIP Phenom shaft which is in my Titleist 913 D2. That hadn't really worked all that well for me when I initially got the thing which lead me to believe that it was just a bit too stout for my fading swing. Still after reading about 10 pages worth of comments on this shaft, I have to believe that this thing should work for me, so I might just have to give it a go again when I get out there rather than the toaster on a stick. @"Stuart G.", one of the fitting gurus around these parts had a lot of positive comments about the shaft.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @BicknellCC said:

> > Sixty,

> > if that includes cart rental it's a great deal. Even if it doesn't it's still reasonable. Do you pair with one guy for the whole season, or play as a individual rotating partners each week?

>

> > @BicknellCC said:

> > Sixty,

> > if that includes cart rental it's a great deal. Even if it doesn't it's still reasonable. Do you pair with one guy for the whole season, or play as a individual rotating partners each week?

>

> Bick, this includes the cart, you play different opponents each week of course, and you play with someone else on your team and their opponent (typically). Also, start time is 5:00 pm, however if you want to start earlier and your foursome agrees and can all make it there, you can start as early as 3:00, or postpone it to another weekday if one of the two of you can't make it that night. We have a scramble mid-season that's included in that fee. There are subs lined up to play for you if you can't play at all that week. Some people just sign up to be subs for the season as they get to play for free since they are playing for a pre-paid player.

That seems to be the most popular format. We sign up as a team, and play that way all season. For members it's $70 for the season $8 cart fee each week. Number of weeks is based on number of teams entered. Supposedly, everybody faces every team in the league once. Good luck this year @SixtySomePing

• Like 2

> @tolmij said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > > @tolmij said:

> > > None of these ever worked on the old system, watch out Grillers.

> > >

> > > ❤️⛩?☃️????‍♀️????‍?????

> >

> > Where did they all come from? :confused:

>

> At the bottom of my IPad keyboard there is a smiley face, press that and I have access to dozens of them all in different categories, select one and it appears the same as any letter.?

I suspected as much. DW uses an iPad.

Unfortunately I'm currently reduced to using one of the preprogrammed emojis in the software. when you type a colon followed directly by a letter a pop-up box appears in the line of text offering a selection of emoticons that can be added to the text. They're not quite as creative as what was available before, but there's quite a bit more extensive list than those you can link to directly in the header above the dialogue box.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Nothing in the long range forecast indicates that golf will be played any time soon. It's 22* as of the moment, although sunny. Temps barely getting into the 50's midweek, but with rain. Then a steady succession of snow/rain, rain/snow all the way through the end of the month. Not one day seeing 60*. Had snow on the ground AGAIN this morning.

I'll play if it's in the 50's. As long as it reasonably sunny and without wind. But slogging around on a wet course, in chilling temps, with overcast skies is not my idea of a fun excursion. #stillwaitingforspring.

Sixty. $232.00 is excellent. Our league was $375.00 last year. Same duration, starting the last week of April and running until the last Tuesday before Labor Day. Also includes the banquet steak dinner and prize money. Always look forward to the start of the league. Even though the first couple of weeks may be playing in some inclement weather. We tee off at 5:00, which unfortunately cannot be bumped earlier as we follow another league. My partner and I having been talking about changing to another night so that we could start earlier. But we enjoy playing in the league, and with the people in it. So there's a reluctance.

• Like 2

> @scomac2002 said:

> $22 for nine including the cart is a sweet deal in this part of the country, especially for those of us using Canuck bucks!

>

> The curling club runs a golf league at the course up the road from me and the weekly fee is $22 for nine holes walking. Granted, you get treated to a wind-up BBQ at the end of the season, but it still seems like enough in comparison when I can play that course for $45 for 18 including the cart. The course my men's league plays at charges $24.50 for walking nines which is less relevant to me as long as I get a few shifts in I can play for free. We'll see what the season brings. :yum:

Actually $232 for 16 weeks including cart/ 9 holes = $14.50 per week...

Here are the normal rates. Not bad for a senior. For example, $20 on weekdays for 18, and a cart is another $9

http://www.thetroutclub.com/recreation-at-the-trout-club/#dailyGolfRates

• Like 2

> @scomac2002 said:

> $22 for nine including the cart is a sweet deal in this part of the country, especially for those of us using Canuck bucks!

>

> The curling club runs a golf league at the course up the road from me and the weekly fee is $22 for nine holes walking. Granted, you get treated to a wind-up BBQ at the end of the season, but it still seems like enough in comparison when I can play that course for $45 for 18 including the cart. The course my men's league plays at charges $24.50 for walking nines which is less relevant to me as long as I get a few shifts in I can play for free. We'll see what the season brings. :yum:

Oh, yeah, we do have the 'Chili Open' at the end of the year. The teams are drawn at random from A,B,C and D players in the league or are manufactured from their known abilities. It's all in fun, and it's a scramble. The previous year's winning team gets to stay together. It was for the whole plant, so it's not just a league thing. My team won it 2 years ago, but one of our players went back to Japan so we didn't defend our title and came in 2nd. So some of the ladies at the plant fix stuff like hot dogs, chili, extra hot chili, cake, other typical stuff. I've never had the extra hot chili, but now being retired I've got the rest of... well eternity to recover from the effects of it :#

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > $22 for nine including the cart is a sweet deal in this part of the country, especially for those of us using Canuck bucks!

> >

> > The curling club runs a golf league at the course up the road from me and the weekly fee is $22 for nine holes walking. Granted, you get treated to a wind-up BBQ at the end of the season, but it still seems like enough in comparison when I can play that course for $45 for 18 including the cart. The course my men's league plays at charges $24.50 for walking nines which is less relevant to me as long as I get a few shifts in I can play for free. We'll see what the season brings. :yum:

>

> **Actually $232 for 16 weeks including cart/ 9 holes = $14.50 per week...**

> Here are the normal rates. Not bad for a senior. For example, $20 on weekdays for 18, and a cart is another $9

> http://www.thetroutclub.com/recreation-at-the-trout-club/#dailyGolfRates

That's what I get for doing math in my head these days. I used to be bloody good at it! Not so much anymore. Just another one of the growing lists of fading abilities. Either that or I really am marginally dyslexic... :confused:

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @scomac2002 said:

> I was playing around with the search function this morning and I must say that it's a big improvement over the previous version. You now can toggle back to your search results without having to re-enter the search criteria. The only gripe at present is that the search function works for the entire site, not a specific forum, so that modification will be coming down the pipe at some point I imagine.

>

> I was actually looking for some thoughts on the Aldila RIP Phenom shaft which is in my Titleist 913 D2. That hadn't really worked all that well for me when I initially got the thing which lead me to believe that it was just a bit too stout for my fading swing. Still after reading about 10 pages worth of comments on this shaft, I have to believe that this thing should work for me, so I might just have to give it a go again when I get out there rather than the toaster on a stick. @"Stuart G.", one of the fitting gurus around these parts had a lot of positive comments about the shaft.

Sound logic. Been awhile since you've had the opportunity to play with any degree of regularity. May as well start with a D of some known familiarity. Play, see how it feels, evaluate. Before making a decision on a change in direction. If you like the head, can always try another shaft in it at some future point. "Made For" Titleist shafts with adapter do not seem to be all that expensive in the secondary markets.

Decided not to make any hasty driver changes. Despite proclamations to the contrary. Required being honest with myself, that improved swings will achieve better results. That venturing into the unknown with "something different" is not a prudent path. Especially before the season even commences. My testing a few weeks back sort of proved that to me. Have some measure of confidence that I can hit the ball straight, although perhaps sacrificing some distance in the absolute. Having spent so many years trying to hit straight drives, a certain degree of danger lurks with changing the implement and losing the control. IDK. If I can find a good deal on a ~50g shaft, still might give one a trial in the 910. Nothing is cast in stone. But best to wait awhile and see how things unfold.

Improving my short game play will have far more meaningful impact than a Driver in the overall.

• Like 2

Y'all have some good deals on golf up north..........and many more choices of courses. Not a lot to choose from

here and nothing within 25 miles of my house. I plan to get the annual pass at the RTJ but it's 35 miles to the

nearest one as I live about halfway between 2 of them. The annual pass is $1500+tax and that covers golf only

so I'll still have to pay a $20 cart fee each round + gas back and forth.

Carts are not mandatoy but no way I'm gonna walk these courses, especially in the summer. The only thing that

makes this thing a good deal is the caliber of the courses and that the pass is good statewide. The normal daily

rate to play these courses is over $100 a round with cart. From that standpoint the annual pass is a whale of a

deal for us locals but it's still gonna run me $20 plus gas to and fro and 40 minutes transit time each way to play

a round of golf. I envy you guys that have nice $30 courses close to home. I would jump on it if I had one here.

• Like 1

> @Conrad1953 said:

> Y'all have some good deals on golf up north..........and many more choices of courses. Not a lot to choose from

> here and nothing within 25 miles of my house. I plan to get the annual pass at the RTJ but it's 35 miles to the

> nearest one as I live about halfway between 2 of them. The annual pass is $1500+tax and that covers golf only

> so I'll still have to pay a $20 cart fee each round + gas back and forth.

>

> Carts are not mandatoy but no way I'm gonna walk these courses, especially in the summer. The only thing that

> makes this thing a good deal is the caliber of the courses and that the pass is good statewide. The normal daily

> rate to play these courses is over $100 a round with cart. From that standpoint the annual pass is a whale of a

> deal for us locals but it's still gonna run me $20 plus gas to and fro and 40 minutes transit time each way to play

> a round of golf. I envy you guys that have nice $30 courses close to home. I would jump on it if I had one here.

Seems to me you posted some pics of one of your beautiful courses a few years ago. Looked very nice. I agree you would have to get the annual pass. One of the local courses has even lower green fees, then they have a cart barn, so you can buy your own cart from wherever, and keep it in the cart barn. It's not really a barn, it's more like those storage units that have popped up everywhere, and they rent them for practically nothing, so your cart is there waiting for you. It's kind of a country-ish place, but the membership rates are very low- they are still on the 2017 rate, are you ready? $350/year. Plus $11 cart for using their carts for 18 holes, heck that's better than going to a range.

http://www.burningtreegc.com/

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @Conrad1953 said:

> > Y'all have some good deals on golf up north..........and many more choices of courses. Not a lot to choose from

> > here and nothing within 25 miles of my house. I plan to get the annual pass at the RTJ but it's 35 miles to the

> > nearest one as I live about halfway between 2 of them. The annual pass is $1500+tax and that covers golf only

> > so I'll still have to pay a $20 cart fee each round + gas back and forth.

> >

> > Carts are not mandatoy but no way I'm gonna walk these courses, especially in the summer. The only thing that

> > makes this thing a good deal is the caliber of the courses and that the pass is good statewide. The normal daily

> > rate to play these courses is over $100 a round with cart. From that standpoint the annual pass is a whale of a

> > deal for us locals but it's still gonna run me $20 plus gas to and fro and 40 minutes transit time each way to play

> > a round of golf. I envy you guys that have nice $30 courses close to home. I would jump on it if I had one here.

>

> Seems to me you posted some pics of one of your beautiful courses a few years ago. Looked very nice. I agree you would have to get the annual pass. One of the local courses has even lower green fees, then they have a cart barn, so you can buy your own cart from wherever, and keep it in the cart barn. It's not really a barn, it's more like those storage units that have popped up everywhere, and they rent them for practically nothing, so your cart is there waiting for you. It's kind of a country-ish place, but the membership rates are very low- they are still on the 2017 rate, are you ready? $350/year. Plus $11 cart for using their carts for 18 holes, heck that's better than going to a range.

> http://www.burningtreegc.com/

Ya, I wish there were deals like that around here. You guys up there have way more courses per capita

than we do down here. The RTJ Trail is great but in a way it's like having a Walmart Supercenter come to

your town and drive out all the smaller businesses.

• Like 1

While beefing about the delayed start to the golf season, once underway we have a lot of courses nearby (20 miles or less) to pick from. A quick search indicates there's 64 public courses in the county. Not even counting the ones in adjacent counties. Through all price and quality categories. Hard pressed to think of one that exceeds $100.00. Most of the upper tier courses are in the $65 -90 range. One of the Top 10 metro area courses is nearby. Use their range and practice facilities regularly. Believe their during the week rate is $65.00. A lot of money for sure, play the course usually once per year. But most of the other guys don't want to pay that much for our weekly shoot around. We typically pay no more than $35.00 for 18 with cart, senior rates, during the week. Many are less than $30.00. And can realize all the fun and enjoyment (and misery) of playing golf at that price point compared to paying substantial more. Before even considering the plethora of great courses and resorts in the northern part of the state.

Pretty fortunate really. Especially considering the length of the season. Sure, like everywhere, there's been some courses that have closed. The land becoming to valuable to warrant continued golf operations. Poor management. Several in that area that were an integrated housing & golf course development. That were established on a shaky financial premise to begin with (a whole other topic). Read about the cost to play in other areas of the country and I'm astounded. Really believe I'd be playing a whole lot less (maybe not at all) if the cost to tee it up dinged my wallet hard every time out.

• Like 2

I am one of the lucky ones. My course is 10 minutes from the house. Semi private. My membership is 500 a year.

All i pay after that is 7 bucks for a cart for 9. $10 for 18...It isn't a top of the line course,but the greens are always

the best in the area,the food is good,and the course isn't crowded all the time. Two others I play are $ 28 for

18 and a cart..These are some of the advantages of living in a rural area. The State park has a course

near me that is really a beauty....they are closing it down,trying to find a buyer,and a couple local realtors

want to buy it and start building a new housing area. we'll see..but I hope not. Played that one when it first

opened when i was in high school. would hate to lose it.

• Like 2

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

> @billh17 said:

> I am one of the lucky ones. My course is 10 minutes from the house. Semi private. My membership is 500 a year.

> All i pay after that is 7 bucks for a cart for 9. $10 for 18...It isn't a top of the line course,but the greens are always

> the best in the area,the food is good,and the course isn't crowded all the time. Two others I play are $ 28 for

> 18 and a cart..These are some of the advantages of living in a rural area. The State park has a course

> near me that is really a beauty....they are closing it down,trying to find a buyer,and a couple local realtors

> want to buy it and start building a new housing area. we'll see..but I hope not. Played that one when it first

> opened when i was in high school. would hate to lose it.

Sometimes I think that's the best kind of place for the average guy, which suits me fine. Close by, affordable, etc. Doesn't have to be elaborate, just a good time to play a good game, even if it's by myself sometimes. At least I liked doing that occasionally when I used to be able to drive myself to the course.

• Like 2

@ Sixty

I found the older i get the less i enjoy that 30 minute or hour drive home after 18.....this is a good,clean,well maintained course. Folks are friendly,for the most part. The only a-holes play early morning. One of them

is a true piece of arrogant a**-hat,but everyone knows that and most just ignore him. lol you'll have a couple of those at most places. I like it...and love the 10 minutes to get home on a 90 degree day !

• Like 1

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Guys the more I see it,use it , the more I think they created the @ thingie for us,. We are about the only forum where

we may have several different issues being discussed by a couple of different folks. It works out well and no need to repost the previous whole post. Just my cluttered gray matter working as i discover new things on here !

• Like 1

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Played for the first time in 7 weeks yesterday. Beautiful day with only a trace of snow in shaded bunkers. The course is a bit rough from the Feb and Mar snow but it should soon wake up. Hey I parred the first hole and had one bird. Two 3 putts and some doubles that once again ruined a pretty good round. Shot to my slightly inflated cap. ( I have to play with a gang of sandbaggers) Posted the first round of the new golf season and we are off!

• Like 1

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

@Conrad1953 and I often reminisce about our old lives in So Cal. As you may have seen they are having quite a super bloom of wildflowers down there this year. Lots of amazing photos are being posted. Here are a few.http://earthspacecircle.blogspot.com/2017/04/californias-wildflower-super-bloom.html

• Like 1

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)