Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Finally made it out for some golf yesterday afternoon. Nice sunny day, about 68*, a bit of a wind.. Playing solo, a few people were out, but the course was not busy by any means. Afforded me the opportunity to hit extra shots and try some things out. Arrived at the first tee, stretched out a bit, and go. Consequently, took about three holes to get the bod loosened up to a point that I felt like I was swinging the club freely.

Driver was temperamental initially. Could not make solid contact on the ball. Was trying the "oily wrists" thing but had to abandon it because I was snap hooking the ball. By the 5th hole (after a couple of par 3's) began "wristing" with better results. The 5th is the longest par 5 on the course at 510 yards. A set of trees ("The Three Sisters") ~ 210 out on the right, are strategically placed so that I all to often end up behind them. I held the left side, took them out of play and was slightly beyond parallel with them. Was more than pleased with the tee shot. And a confidence builder, as I drove the ball much better from that point on. A solid 5W second to 110, a chunky PW just short of the green, ran a chip 15' past but made the putt coming back for a par.

Really wanted to shake down the new irons. Hitting two balls often from distance. Very pleased with the initial observations. The LW graphite perform exactly as I had intended. Very easy to swing, with stability to hit the ball straight (tip stiff), without any sense of whippiness. The irons appear to be a half club longer than the i20's (5-7 yards). On a par 3 that plays 135'ish, hit 4 balls from the tee. Prior, would use a 7 iron. The first shot I flew the green, left. Grabbed the 8, and put the next three shots on. The last was pin high, 15' or so away from the hole. Another par 3 plays 155, used a 6 iron to reach the green. Some may think this is not a big deal. Prior, the i20 6 iron was a very inconsistent club for me. Didn't seem to hit any further than a 7, would hit a chunk with it half the time. Would like to have a consistent 150 yard iron in the bag. With a high trajectory that sticks and stays with approach/tee shots. Hopefully.

The Maltby's are stupid easy to hit. Just drop the club head down on the ball and she takes off. Not requiring much in the way of setup manipulation. Trajectory is still fairly high (hit I high ball to begin with) but not "moon shot" category. Still realizing good carry yardage from relative distances. The turf interaction was much better without having to fight the notorious Ping bounce. More time required to become better acclimated, but for now quite pleased I made the switch.

Pitching was improved, chipping not so much. Still hitting the dreaded clunkers. But will be a focus of practice this season as the plan is to improve in this area. And I putted crazy good. The greens being early season slow, could put a good whack on the ball rolling it to the cup. And as a lark, instead of the mallet, threw the becu Anser 2 in the bag. And it felt really good. Oh noes!! Don't want to return to putter confliction again after seemingly having it sorted out last year.

Oh yeah, one legit birdie. Short par 4, good drive to 75 yards. A uphill GW to 10' above the hole. And a bendy downhiller that I rolled right into the cup. Pin in. (Never bothered to take the pin out when playing solo.) Golf is fun. Then promptly shanked my tee shot on the next hole into the long grass. Why I had two balls in my pocket.

Approaching TL;DR level. Had a good time of it yesterday. With all the extra shots involved, didn't keep a score. Other than mentally on a particular hole. Was out to practice. Get back into the swing of things. The body seemed to be barking last night more than I remember from prior years. Takes awhile to get back into golf shape. Which for me means getting the lower back acclimated once again to swinging a golf club. Unfortunately, that appears to be it for awhile. The weather turns crappy starting tomorrow. Possibility of a couple inches of snow on Thursday. Then sporadic rainy days.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading. THE END.

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

@Fellaheen51; speaking as one who regularly creates posts of the TL:DR variety -- I'm talking about me here if that's not obvious -- I didn't find your post of the aforementioned nature. There's really only one dude (well maybe two) who's guilty of that in my books and he doesn't reside in these parts...

It is good to get back at it even if the old body is complaining in the early going. I know that I'm owly today, but I suspect that has a lot more to do with and hour and a half of hard raking yesterday. That's what I get for living in a grove of 50 foot tall white pines.

Your new avatar seems like a fitting way to celebrate your Alma mater's recent hoops success.

I'm interested in hearing more about your experiences with the new Maltbys, so keep the updates coming.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> > @billh17 said:

> > @ Conrad

> > Patsy is the favorite country voice for me. Love her renditions.

>

> Fan of Patsy here as well. Classic country. **"I Fall To Pieces" could be the song for my golf game on occasion.**

>

>

And here I thought _fall to pieces_ was a description of my body... :tongue:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Our cat is having a fine time of it playing in the puddles. There are footprints all over the porch. She has been out and in four times now. She just went racing across the kitchen floor and wiped out trying to make the corner to run up the stairs! Even an arthritic 13 year old cat can have her juvenile moments. :wink:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @billh17 said:

> Sitting on the front porch,watching the deer in the lower yard,the sun slowly calling it a day,

> a glass of red wine,and playin' Patsy on the disc ...can't get any better !

Fan of Patsy's here too, what a voice! She made Willie's "Crazy" famous. After she died, he sang it at the Grand Old Opry as you can see in this video at about 4:08 Looks like he almost gets a bit choked up. Sure looked different at 32.

• Like 1

Every once in a while I find myself venturing over to the Cobra Golf website to check out the latest dope on their one-length irons. I know that @billh17 uses a set, maybe even his second set by now and has had good luck with them. That said, the entire concept, at least as executed by Cobra doesn't make any sense to me. They maybe one length, but if the lie angle is being adjusted with each successive club, that isn't maintaining the same swing plane in my book. A one degree change in lie is the effective equivalent of a 1/2" change in length so even though a 6 iron and a PW are the same length the 2° difference in lie angle should make them play as though there is a 1" difference in length which would be obvious when you sole the club from the address position (or at least i think that it would). It's a bit like the trickery of swing weight where if you shorten the shaft you have to add weight to the head to get the same swing weight. I know that it matters when it's off, but you would think that the place to add the weight is from the end where it was removed. Perhaps it's the counter-intuitive nature of this that actually allows these single length irons to perform? For now I have to put this in the don't know, too hard box.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @tolmij said:

> Does anyone know what the markdown is we can use in our post.???

Looks to me like you have to know computer language. I can speak French pretty kinda well and the same for Spanish. But not Markdown. If a person from Markdown came to my house and was hungry, they would starve... ;)

https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > Does anyone know what the markdown is we can use in our post.???

> Looks to me like you have to know computer language. I can speak French pretty kinda well and the same for Spanish. But not Markdown. If a person from Markdown came to my house and was hungry, they would starve... ;)

> https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/

>

>

Thanks Sixty, I will have to search the net to see if I can find any on line lessons.

OK lesson learned, the old brain seems to understand. Always wondered what you fellers did to get certain things to happen.

Now how do I get it, tried some of the stuff and nothing happened.

**acording to instructions this should be bold**

~~Heck it worked~~

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

test

test

Playing around with Markdown syntax. Did something, don't understand the purpose. There were no reference points to pre-determine what the output would look like.

Don't want to use any of this Markdown stuff. Don't want to remember key stoke sequences to make something happen with text formatting. Sorta reminds me of BITD when I first started using a computer. Trying to configure and remember how to use MS-DOS commands. Every character having to be exact in order to run a function. This text layout methodology frankly suck(s) big time. Straight outta 1995. If this is the new permanence, then what were they thinking? Still cannot determine if markdown will change font size or type. Add color to text. Cannot even do the most basic thing like add two spaces after a period (as learned in 9th grade typing class). This has such an inferior, antiquated appearance to it. Hel(l), they can't even keep a background color scheme operational. Come on, how difficult can that coding be?

Please, someone explain to me how this is an improvement from what preceded it. Easyyy (or was it his counterpart) mentioned elsewhere about the possible need for a tutorial. I don't know if he was being facetious. But yeah, you're pushing this site into the realm of needing one to understand the new system's functionality. Just want to go on a website (any website) and read, find the information I'm after, interact. DO NOT make me perform website gymnastics on my part to engage.

Signed,

Trying to remain optimistic, but my patience is being tested.

Edit add: Not wishing to come across as overly dramatic. But I'm beginning to get a sense (reading elsewhere) that they have something of a mess on their hands that wasn't anticipated.

• Like 2

> @tolmij said:

> > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > @tolmij said:

> > > Does anyone know what the markdown is we can use in our post.???

> > Looks to me like you have to know computer language. I can speak French pretty kinda well and the same for Spanish. But not Markdown. If a person from Markdown came to my house and was hungry, they would starve... ;)

> > https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/

> >

> >

>

> Thanks Sixty, I will have to search the net to see if I can find any on line lessons.

>

> OK lesson learned, the old brain seems to understand. Always wondered what you fellers did to get certain things to happen.

>

> Now how do I get it, tried some of the stuff and nothing happened.

>

> **acording to instructions this should be bold**

>

> ~~Heck it worked~~

That's my point. Shouldn't have to go through coding syntax to make something happen. Should be as simple as highlighting the text and hit the bold button. And immediately see the change occur. You know, like it's been done for the last 25 years.

• Like 2

Played 9 yesterday evening. Chipping and pitching much improved. I missed 3 putts of 3 feet or a little less to prevent up and down pars. Pulled all three left trying to firm them in like the tour pros do. One bad hole, number one handicap hole on the course, 400 yard par 4 uphill, with a small green. The green butts up against a three foot bank, and if you do not hit the front foot or so of the green approach shots roll part or all of the way up it.

I tried for extra yards off the tee, and of course pulled my drive left of the trees that line that side of the faiway. Didn't have a shot at the green so I played smart, punched out. Hit a limb, ended up 145 left side fairway. Figured I needed one more club so I hit 7 iron, and of course made perfect contact, hit the back of the green, and hopped up on the bank behind the green. no big deal, should salvage bogie, open face 56, slide it under the ball. Nope, perfect bladed shot off the front, followed by a bad chip back and 2 putts.

Getting closer to last years game, losing focus, and tensing up on important shots are areas that need to be addressed.

• Like 2

> @Fellaheen51 said:

>

> **Trying to remain optimistic, but my patience is being tested.**

>

> Edit add: Not wishing to come across as overly dramatic. But I'm beginning to get a sense (reading elsewhere) that they have something of a mess on their hands that wasn't anticipated.

Pardon my chuckle, but this is highly reminiscent of the situation that DW was dealing with at work when a bunch of IT geeks convinced the beancounters that run the finances for the hospital that they could save mucho dinero by automating and that cross-compatibility was not only possible between systems , but would be a piece of cake. As you can imagine, the reality was much different than the promise leaving all the users to struggle to get the system to work while the geeks spent months debugging.

The good news is that this too shall pass, but it might seem for some like its a kidney stone. :lol:

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> > @tolmij said:

> > > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > Does anyone know what the markdown is we can use in our post.???

> > > Looks to me like you have to know computer language. I can speak French pretty kinda well and the same for Spanish. But not Markdown. If a person from Markdown came to my house and was hungry, they would starve... ;)

> > > https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Thanks Sixty, I will have to search the net to see if I can find any on line lessons.

> >

> > OK lesson learned, the old brain seems to understand. Always wondered what you fellers did to get certain things to happen.

> >

> > Now how do I get it, tried some of the stuff and nothing happened.

> >

> > **acording to instructions this should be bold**

> >

> > ~~Heck it worked~~

>

> That's my point. Shouldn't have to go through coding syntax to make something happen. Should be as simple as highlighting the text and hit the bold button. And immediately see the change occur. You know, like it's been done for the last 25 years.

>

You two guys are way more computer savvy Than I will ever be. New hires at work think I am, but it's only because I am working with the same software ( upgraded every couple years of course) that we bought in the late 80's. I only learned how to post a video last moth.

I am in awe of your skills guys.

• Like 2

Glad the game of golf is working it's way back into your lives in whatever individual ways that's happening. Long, wet, cold, dreary winter has come and gone. Good stuff being posted suggesting you gents are (like myself) blowing the rust out of the pipes. Sounds like our ball striking isn't beyond expectations thus far, which is a big plus for the early going. All we need going forward is to LET (not force) that to continue. Also sounds like we're pretty much all basically aware the wedge game, especially around the greens is getting off to a rougher start. And yes, it's frustrating to move it hundreds of yards in two or three strokes, and burn 5 more stokes to finish out.

I spoke to my swing coach yesterday about this very subject. Here is basically what he said about it:

It's still wet out there. Just that fact alone tends to get a golfer believing the strike has to be significantly harder just to make contact -- and since it rolls out less, farther. As to spefically HOW this manifests -- He says it's a you-name-it hodgepodge. Some tense up. Many take the club WAY back too far for the upcoming shot. All manner of contrived grips, grip pressures, posture, and literally every conceivable yip the Good Lord might imagine takes over.

Lol - So I feel a little better hearing both my buds here, and a PGA pro, suggesting this can and does happen. Getting back on track, and a little drying out time in this water-logged part of the planet might just mean things improve.

• Like 2

@scomac2002. I now nothing of website design, architecture, or implementation. But I do know about sales cycles. There is a phase where systems are presented, demos viewed and assessed for form, function, and solving a set of problems or needs, assessments made (perhaps even with an IT consultant). L/T and S/T costs evaluations. Then a business decision is made. And somewhere along the way, the basic question asked, "What will it look like when we flip the switch?" must have been determined. And if the current is what was deemed acceptable, then IMHO they were sold a bill of goods. Or didn't perform their due diligence. Simply find it unfathomable that the decisions makers would have reached the conclusion that this implementation was "good enough" in the short term. Costs money to make corrections and enhancements on the fly.

No idea how GolfWRX would rate on daily site traffic parameters. Would surmise significant as it relates to its targeted audience and size of market penetration. They do appear to be the dominant site for golf. Yet, they have but one paid, on-staff website programmer. And likely overwhelmed coding, debugging, implementing a litany of "fixes" that are currently underway. One person can only do so much. And curious how much support is being provided by the platform supplier at this stage. Most of what is labeled as on-going technical support comes with a significant fee. And viewed as enhanced revenue streams by a supplying vendor. At least that was the M.O. in my industry BITD. Sell the system, sell the service.

All speculation I suppose. You knows what took place.

• Like 2

Masters week.

Those in the Grille know how spun-up I can get. Lol. I said to Sonny Boy two months ago, my personal front-runner to win would be Rory. Still think so. But hey, on any given week, let alone Masters week, it "could be" anyone invited. Historically, it slightly favors the higher ball flight faders (especially with irons). But there've clearly been exceptions. It obviously favors he who putts and pitches well on high speed greens.

The story is so often about capitalizing on holes like 2, 8, 13, and 15 thru 18. It can also be about avoiding disaster on the others. Anyone gaining ground on the field in those "survival" holes is someone to watch. There are holes like 3, 4, 6, 7, 10' 12, and 14 that on paper look unremarkably simple. For all the world they "look" like birdie holes for a pro. But you'll see they generate far more pars and bogeys. Watch for the ones who score well on holes the field is happy to "survive".

• Like 2

> @BicknellCC said:

> > @Fellaheen51 said:

> > > @tolmij said:

> > > > @SixtySomePing said:

> > > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > > Does anyone know what the markdown is we can use in our post.???

> > > > Looks to me like you have to know computer language. I can speak French pretty kinda well and the same for Spanish. But not Markdown. If a person from Markdown came to my house and was hungry, they would starve... ;)

> > > > https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Thanks Sixty, I will have to search the net to see if I can find any on line lessons.

> > >

> > > OK lesson learned, the old brain seems to understand. Always wondered what you fellers did to get certain things to happen.

> > >

> > > Now how do I get it, tried some of the stuff and nothing happened.

> > >

> > > **acording to instructions this should be bold**

> > >

> > > ~~Heck it worked~~

> >

> > That's my point. Shouldn't have to go through coding syntax to make something happen. Should be as simple as highlighting the text and hit the bold button. And immediately see the change occur. You know, like it's been done for the last 25 years.

> >

>

> You two guys are way more computer savvy Than I will ever be. New hires at work think I am, but it's only because I am working with the same software ( upgraded every couple years of course) that we bought in the late 80's. I only learned how to post a video last moth.

> I am in awe of your skills guys.

No, don't possess any particular skills better than the next. All I ask out of a computer is that it performs the intended task without unwarranted involvement on my part. I do not want to know "computer", just work dam(n) it. And never wanted to look under the hood to fix a problem or learn function. Still shudder remembering the hours spent trying to eradicate a virus, fix a system crash. If I had a baseball bat nearby, would have bashed the CPU to smithereens. Did kick it one time, out of frustration, and dented the side of the case. Solved nothing.

A number years now removed from having to deal with that madness.

• Like 2

The new format here on WRX is something I'm frankly trying to take light-heartedly.

Let me open-up and trot a couple of things right out in the sunshine. I don't (deep down) think I'm ever going to curry much favor with Easyy and company. Not that they particularly "hate" old Reason - not all. BUT - will say I have zero traction of any kind whatsoever. My "best of" posts are not used much and the few selected are buried on deeper pages. I've posted and given out "likes" just like anyone but that doesn't seem to do much ranking/rating-wise. (Which frankly doesn't matter, right?). I'm the OP of this giant thread which eats up a ton of server space. I'm NOT a paying member. In the past I was very outspoken whenever friends (at the time) were suspended. And whenever EASYY and I were in the same thread, I never could get a reply from him no matter how friendly and supportive toward him I was. Have been moved out of gen golf talk so fast your head would spin, so I know where I stand over there.

So all in all... I honestly enjoy you guys and just as honestly I don't expect much in terms of being very well regarded amongst the particular "powers that be" in question. Call it a mutually respectful coexistence where no one calls each other's baby ugly, and it's probable I'm tolerated - to which is considered reward enough given my non-membership.

Again, it doesn't matter what the WRX team thinks (if they bother to think) about any individual poster. It prolly changes NOTHING either way, so long as we play by the rules. But all this sorta kinda leads me personally to believe the format changes will prolly NOT be overly concerned about the Grille, or what my inputs would be if so. Or so I "think" anyway.

There. Komono open. LOL. I'm wrong a lot. This one may count as a shining example. Either way, it doesn't really matter what my perceptions or thoughts are, so I just roll with it.

Another famous Reason Rant is herby over.

• Like 2

This site is working well enough for us to carry on here in the Grille. I'm taking the view that things will only

get better as they move along with this upgrade. I'm also taking the view that my golf game will only get

better as I move along. Now that's some dam wishful thinking, lol.............but what's the alternative?

We hear it over and over......we're gonna get shorter, blah, blah ,blah but we also hear one thing we can do

that will mitigate the decline..............develop deadly short games...................I guess I got some work to do!

• Like 1

> @Reasonability said:

So all in all... I honestly enjoy you guys and just as honestly I don't expect much in terms of being very well regarded amongst the

> Another famous Reason Rant is herby over.

So you are well regarded here, what else doth maketh a difference? To thine own self be true, and whatsoever be Reasonable, and so forth, and stuff...

• Like 2

After all the years I listened to Hank Haney on the radio................I got it drilled into me the 3 simple things for us

ams to lower scores............

Eliminate penalties--------------------------------------------keep tee shots in play....and approaches in play

Eliminate "2" chips---------------------------first order of business when chipping and pitching.........get the ball on the green

Eliminate 3 putts----------------------------get better at lag putting

He said to count how many shots you lose each round due to these 3 things. These should be the primary focus.

I can't disagree with him either. IMO, he's right on the money.

• Like 1

> @SixtySomePing said:

>

> > @Reasonability said:

> So all in all... I honestly enjoy you guys and just as honestly I don't expect much in terms of being very well regarded amongst the

> > Another famous Reason Rant is herby over.

> **So you are well regarded here, what else doth maketh a difference?** To thine own self be true, and whatsoever be Reasonable, and so forth, and stuff...

>

And that dear Reasy is all that matters!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Conrad1953 said:

> After all the years I listened to Hank Haney on the radio................I got it drilled into me the 3 simple things for us

> ams to lower scores............

>

> Eliminate penalties--------------------------------------------keep tee shots in play....and approaches in play

>

> Eliminate "2" chips---------------------------first order of business when chipping and pitching.........get the ball on the green

>

> Eliminate 3 putts----------------------------get better at lag putting

>

> He said to count how many shots you lose each round due to these 3 things. These should be the primary focus.

>

> I can't disagree with him either. IMO, he's right on the money.

You have just smartly summarized OMP golf:

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gno8yBsMpJU]

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Absolutely. All three points by HH are so valid. I've tallied just bad chipping and three putts before. It's disheartening. Easily throw away 6 - 8 strokes on a given round by not executing with even a modicum of effectiveness. Can readily throw away 3 strokes on one hole with back and forth chipping. Just get the ball onto the green and go from there makes perfect sense.

Edit add: The Legend. Go O. M. P.

• Like 2

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)