Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I'm of the mind that a golfer's swing will adapt to the clubs he is using. Now this doesn't mean that the fit is optimal or that there isn't extra performance that could be left on the table, but you'll be able to play more or less at your potential especially if you don't allow it to get in your head.

Most golfers I know will use a club that performs for them and likewise they will avoid one that doesn't. It doesn't matter what the spec is versus what ideal might be, it's a simple question: do I hit it well and consistently? If so, then yes, I will game it. If not, then I will pass on it or rarely use it if it's a club I feel I need to carry.

Personally, I crave consistency in my set. I'm looking for the same feel so as to minimize the impact any particular club might have on throwing my swing off. I've always been sensitive to weight and now is no different other than I'm finding that lighter is better, not just static weights, but swing weights too which is a bit of a new revelation. I'm even thinking that I could play ladies clubs successfully provided that the length and lie angles lined up. This is all a bit of an intellectual exercise at this point and I really need a normal season to test the idea out. As a result, I won't be selling anything just yet and there maybe a few purchases made around the periphery to test this out more fully.

So, I guess I'm going to be the experimenter because I lack the coach and fitter to guide me. Maybe I get lucky, maybe I don't, but choice of equipment isn't going to keep me from playing or at least trying to. These are questions to be answered next year.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

A highly random thought here. What the heck? We do that a lot in the Grille, right?

Let's say shaft flex point and therefore ball flight launch "can" be mid, low, or high. And to keep it simple let's say flex "can" be soft, medium, or stiff. Then let's says there's the issue of length which again for grins we could say is "standard", shorter, or longer. Then we could lob in three possibilities in static weight, and three more potentials in general swing weight.

Without even going there in terms of visual appeal, steel vs graphite shafts, shape and style of head, style of grip, even the "sound" golfers either love or hate... what was laid down in the paragraph above points to something interesting.

Been a long time ago, but back when I went to school, that's 7776 combinations of golf club. Steel vs Graphite shafts turns that number into well over 60 MILLION!!!!!

Now, go ahead and ladle-in those "other" variables such as head style, sound, visual appeal, yadda and the numbers get even more staggering.

So here's the question. How does a golfer KNOW he's found the right combo of variables when matching his sticks to his swing?

Or said differently - Does he ever truly know?

I could be wrong - but I'm pretty sure I'll never try out 60 million different sticks. LMAO But let's say my math is flawed. Still - how does a golfer ever truly know he's dialed-in? Launch monitors are all well and good. Still, the combinations can only be tested out one at a time, no????

Heaven forbid a golfer makes any swing changes which in turn could easily lead to what new/equipment need to go with such changes. We're into a realm of possibilities that are way above my pay grade to figure out on paper. How many golfers grow frustrated and even give up the game simply because their swing and their sticks are a total/complete mismatch? How many have managed to perform proudly be being among the rare but luckiest few who managed to swing it their way with sticks the happened to match-up beautifully?

What an incredibly goofy game.

I might have played my best golf back in 1965 with the flea market unmatched 3-5-7-9 irons, 3-5 woods, driver and putter, partially torn bag and found golf balls than i ever did since (they were blades by the way, leather grip on the driver, the woods were really wood, no game improvement irons)... depends on your definition of best golf. It was stress/worry free golf. I wasn't smart enough to think while I was swinging the club :golfer: It was a big day that day at the flea market for me. I had saved lots of money from a paper route for a couple of years before, and bought the clubs in '64. So I also got a green military shirt and a fake hand grenade to take rabbit hunting along with me when I took the single shot Utica 12 gage my dad got me when I was 12. I guess I figured the shirt would be good camouflage and the fake grenade would flush rabbits out of the fence line bushes... neither helped, but I did shoot the shotgun for the heck of it. Finally got the standard Remington 870 like most other guys....no grenades but lots of rabbits- don't tell my DW

You guys will get no argument at all from me as to how the player's game (and swing) gravitates to the sticks he has.

Bought a 5 metal years ago. (told this one many times - lol). Came with a 30 day return policy provided it wasn't damaged. Up until about the 29th day I was absolutely certain I would be taking it back. Low ball flights for a 5 metal. I was actually in the market for a hybrid when I bought it. So you can imagine my displeasure in shopping for a higher launching for longer distances and then ending up with the sort of "stinger" doo dad. Wasn't happy to say the least.

Today - I wouldn't sell or trade that thing for any amount of money. Took me and it a while to become "friends". And it's still a little lower in flight than most 5 metals (thanks to the shaft).... but she's very accurate.... reliable. Had I not given it more time and been patient with it, it was never going to make the cut.

Cool story about buying a first set of sticks that were probably the best set - especially considering the full story that goes with it. Not for one second trying to be difficult here - but I can honestly say my first set of sticks weren't nearly as kind to me as my later purchases. The golf ball wasn't quite as friendly back then either (IMO).

Folks who play vintage sticks - especially with a vintage ball.... you've got my respect. LMAO.

Still not been able to catch up in the Grille, the story is, we have a closet normally reserved for spare clothes, bedding etc. since shopping at Costco and buying bulk it has been filling up with around 12 months supply of powders, cleansers and other required smelly stuf, plus snacks, botlled food bulk sugar, you get the picture I suppose.

Now this last weekend we built the wall cupboard for the laundry painted and installed so for the past two days we have been emptying out the closet, relocating stuff to the new cupboard and shelves in the garage, tidying up the rest. Massive job, thankfully now finished.

Sitting in the lounge drinking a good port waiting for instructions on the next major job, clearing out and restocking our three freezers, yes correct three.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Best wishes to Mrs. Tol.

Sixty, I remember the 5 and 10 back then sold fake pineapple hand grenades for 10 cents. They were OD green and made out of plastic, about 3/4 the size of a real one. I had three or four that we threw around playing army.

I had a small arsenal of military toys back then. Marx company made nice, cheap authentic looking stuff. I recall having a Sharps carbine, M1 rifle, a 45 auto with plastic belt and holster, and a Luger. I believe the Luger and the Sharps both had a cartridge that was metal with an orange plastic projectile which fired from the percussion of a single cap.

I also had a Mattel snub nose 38 which shot a spring loaded cartridge. Held 6 cartridges, just like a real one. My Uncle Charlie commented that you could rob a bank with one.

Didn't want any part of army and war, especially when I was drafted.

When I had the gun shop and antiques dealer for clients, I bought a 1915 Luger pistol from them. Have never fired it, only bought a box of shells on original 9/11. The day I bought it, I showed it to my WW2 veteran Dad, and he exclaimed, "Why the h*** did you buy that?" Still have it, have no desire to fire it, just look at it once in a while.

Probably, the Luger is the only item I ever bought that has some real collectible value. Some years ago, a guy offered to buy it for twice what I paid for it, sight unseen. I won't sell it, unless financial circumstances would dictate it.

Cheers!

Still not been able to catch up in the Grille, the story is, we have a closet normally reserved for spare clothes, bedding etc. since shopping at Costco and buying bulk it has been filling up with around 12 months supply of powders, cleansers and other required smelly stuf, plus snacks, botlled food bulk sugar, you get the picture I suppose.

Now this last weekend we built the wall cupboard for the laundry painted and installed so for the past two days we have been emptying out the closet, relocating stuff to the new cupboard and shelves in the garage, tidying up the rest. Massive job, thankfully now finished.

Sitting in the lounge drinking a good port waiting for instructions on the next major job, clearing out and restocking our three freezers, yes correct three.

Are you preparing for Armageddon?

WE used to shop at Costco a lot when the boys were younger. There were some deals, but often times the product would be stale before we got around to finishing it up due to the nature of the bulk purchase sizes. Soon the economy of it all faded. I can see why you need a big house if you're preparing for the end of time... ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Best wishes to Mrs. Tol.

Sixty, I remember the 5 and 10 back then sold fake pineapple hand grenades for 10 cents. They were OD green and made out of plastic, about 3/4 the size of a real one. I had three or four that we threw around playing army.

I had a small arsenal of military toys back then. Marx company made nice, cheap authentic looking stuff. I recall having a Sharps carbine, M1 rifle, a 45 auto with plastic belt and holster, and a Luger. I believe the Luger and the Sharps both had a cartridge that was metal with an orange plastic projectile which fired from the percussion of a single cap.

I also had a Mattel snub nose 38 which shot a spring loaded cartridge. Held 6 cartridges, just like a real one. My Uncle Charlie commented that you could rob a bank with one.

When I had the gun shop and antiques dealer for clients, I bought a 1915 Luger pistol from them. Have never fired it, only bought a box of shells on original 9/11. The day I bought it, I showed it to my WW2 veteran Dad, and he exclaimed, "Why the h*** did you buy that?" Still have it, have no desire to fire it, just look at it once in a while.

Probably, the Luger is the only item I ever bought that has some real collectible value. Some years ago, a guy offered to buy it for twice what I paid for it, sight unseen. I won't sell it, unless financial circumstances would dictate it.

Cheers!

My Dad came back from Europe after WW II with a few mementos. A Luger pistol and a Mauser sniper rifle with scope. My Grandmother wouldn't tolerate the pistol on the place and ordered it disposed of! It got tossed into the foundation of a chicken coop when they were pouring concrete!

The Mauser was acceptable and I still have it sans scope. Hasn't been fired in many years, but has been kept clean and disassembled. A neighbour used to take it moose hunting up north, but that hasn't happened in over 40 years or more. At 7.62 mm it's illegal for use in this part of the province, but fine in the north. My Dad said it was accurate up to a mile. I couldn't imagine firing it, but some folks would think hitting a MacGregor Hogan persimmon would be the last thing any modern day golfer would want to do... (cool)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

You guys will get no argument at all from me as to how the player's game (and swing) gravitates to the sticks he has.

Bought a 5 metal years ago. (told this one many times - lol). Came with a 30 day return policy provided it wasn't damaged. Up until about the 29th day I was absolutely certain I would be taking it back. Low ball flights for a 5 metal. I was actually in the market for a hybrid when I bought it. So you can imagine my displeasure in shopping for a higher launching for longer distances and then ending up with the sort of "stinger" doo dad. Wasn't happy to say the least.

Today - I wouldn't sell or trade that thing for any amount of money. Took me and it a while to become "friends". And it's still a little lower in flight than most 5 metals (thanks to the shaft).... but she's very accurate.... reliable. Had I not given it more time and been patient with it, it was never going to make the cut.

Cool story about buying a first set of sticks that were probably the best set - especially considering the full story that goes with it. Not for one second trying to be difficult here - but I can honestly say my first set of sticks weren't nearly as kind to me as my later purchases. The golf ball wasn't quite as friendly back then either (IMO).

Folks who play vintage sticks - especially with a vintage ball.... you've got my respect. LMAO.

Oh it's not so bad, especially if you play clubs from the 70's or 80's. A set of Eye 2's will play about as well as anything current adjusting for distance and lofts. Even the woods are usable. I remember Fella remarking that he hit his Eye 2 4W was well as any metal wood that he has hit.

I'm not as sanguine when it comes to the woods, but dang there is no better feeling than nutting one of them! They will go as good as any modern club! I've got a PowerBilt Citation 2W that I've hit 220 off the tee on occasion and a Spalding Executive 3W that I've clubbed 200 off the deck!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Oh it's not so bad, especially if you play clubs from the 70's or 80's. A set of Eye 2's will play about as well as anything current adjusting for distance and lofts. Even the woods are usable. I remember Fella remarking that he hit his Eye 2 4W was well as any metal wood that he has hit.

I'm not as sanguine when it comes to the woods, but dang there is no better feeling than nutting one of them! They will go as good as any modern club! I've got a PowerBilt Citation 2W that I've hit 220 off the tee on occasion and a Spalding Executive 3W that I've clubbed 200 off the deck!

10-4 on the Ping Eye2 irons. Still have mine. They were the first sticks I broke 80 with. Still own them. Don't get them out much these days but they will remain in my possession. There's the better part of an old set of TM burner irons around here. Son bought them from a college buddie and abandoned them. I only gamed them a few times. Liked the PW - a lot. Then there's a half-closet full of my days of searching for a driver. LMAO. I've got some relics in there that I couldn't hit out of my own shadow. No clue what I was thinking at the time other than whatever I was gaming at the time wasn't right.

Because I haven't done much experimenting this past year - I fully admit to not being in the know about the latest and greatest. There's a lot more out there in terms of springy faces - twisted faces - and you-name-it inserts that I'm getting dumber about by the minute.

Best wishes to Mrs. Tol.

Cheers!

My Dad came back from Europe after WW II with a few mementos. A Luger pistol and a Mauser sniper rifle with scope. My Grandmother wouldn't tolerate the pistol on the place and ordered it disposed of! It got tossed into the foundation of a chicken coop when they were pouring concrete!

The Mauser was acceptable and I still have it sans scope. Hasn't been fired in many years, but has been kept clean and disassembled. A neighbour used to take it moose hunting up north, but that hasn't happened in over 40 years or more. At 7.62 mm it's illegal for use in this part of the province, but fine in the north. My Dad said it was accurate up to a mile. I couldn't imagine firing it, but some folks would think hitting a MacGregor Hogan persimmon would be the last thing any modern day golfer would want to do... (cool)

Grandma enforced gun control? Love it :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

10-4 on the Ping Eye2 irons. Still have mine. They were the first sticks I broke 80 with. Still own them. Don't get them out much these days but they will remain in my possession. There's the better part of an old set of TM burner irons around here. Son bought them from a college buddie and abandoned them. I only gamed them a few times. Liked the PW - a lot. Then there's a half-closet full of my days of searching for a driver. LMAO. I've got some relics in there that I couldn't hit out of my own shadow. No clue what I was thinking at the time other than whatever I was gaming at the time wasn't right.

Because I haven't done much experimenting this past year - I fully admit to not being in the know about the latest and greatest. There's a lot more out there in terms of springy faces - twisted faces - and you-name-it inserts that I'm getting dumber about by the minute.

Interesting that several of us have saved those Ping Eye II's. I played some of my best golf with them too. Now that I have the Mizzys and have gotten used to the blade like profile I would have a hard time going back to irons with that much offset and wide soles and top lines. I imagine I could adjust and play fine with them if I tried.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Hot and humid yesterday, rode 9 with my 85 year old buddy. Played terrible, kept lifting my head.

Supposed to be hot until Thursday, then seasonable 50's 60's temperatures.

I'm ready for cooler weather.

Yeah me too. It feels like summer is over here in the NW. Cooler days and a little rain and I really notice the shorter days. I love spring, summer and fall. The cold short days of winter make me understand the "snow birds" that head for Arizona :)

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Are you preparing for Armageddon?

WE used to shop at Costco a lot when the boys were younger. There were some deals, but often times the product would be stale before we got around to finishing it up due to the nature of the bulk purchase sizes. Soon the economy of it all faded. I can see why you need a big house if you're preparing for the end of time... ;)

We are careful what we buy, mainly it’s cleaning products that they sometimes run out of. Apart from that it’s goods with very long use by dates. Over the past three years we have saved hundreds of dollars purchasing from them rather than the other stores who only ever raise prices. We are captive over here and untill shops like Costco came we were paying far more the most other countries. Another deal breaker for us was a local Ikea opening last year, now the favourite shop of DW.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Well, Hurricane Michael is coming. It will make landfall and move northeast away from our house. We're only

expecting a few inches of rain and winds 10-15 at our house. The Florida panhandle is going to get whacked.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Carolinas are gonna get a lot more wind and rain. Not good after Florence.

Georgia not looking good. Please be safe all who are in the path of this one.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Just came home from the curling rink. They have a get acquainted bonspiel going on tonight. Essentially it's a get together to play a game to kick off the new season. League play starts on Friday night. DW has already gotten her calls for the two leagues she is signed up for.

Saw a lot of old familiar faces. When I walked into the vestibule I could barely see a thing due to the fog. Such is the case when you're trying to make ice and it's 80° F outside with high humidity. As soon as I walked in, the bonspiel convener asked me if I brought my equipment to which I responded; I'm not curling this year! I guess she succeeded in talking at least two others into going home and coming back and playing.

At any rate, I met the new bartender, had a drink and visited with a few folks. Watching curling was kind of pointless because you couldn't really see what was going on. From what I could gather, several folks did not renew their memberships due to health issues and then you always lose a few to attrition for various other reasons.

I think what surprised me the most was that despite spending a small fortune on new ice making and new rocks the curling didn't look a bit different than what I've been watching for the past several years. It's not only golf where the bigger variable is the Indian rather than the arrow! ;)

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Just came home from the curling rink. They have a get acquainted bonspiel going on tonight. Essentially it's a get together to play a game to kick off the new season. League play starts on Friday night. DW has already gotten her calls for the two leagues she is signed up for.

Saw a lot of old familiar faces. When I walked into the vestibule I could barely see a thing due to the fog. Such is the case when you're trying to make ice and it's 80° F outside with high humidity. As soon as I walked in, the bonspiel convener asked me if I brought my equipment to which I responded; I'm not curling this year! I guess she succeeded in talking at least two others into going home and coming back and playing.

At any rate, I met the new bartender, had a drink and visited with a few folks. Watching curling was kind of pointless because you couldn't really see what was going on. From what I could gather, several folks did not renew their memberships due to health issues and then you always lose a few to attrition for various other reasons.

I think what surprised me the most was that despite spending a small fortune on new ice making and new rocks the curling didn't look a bit different than what I've been watching for the past several years. It's not only golf where the bigger variable is the Indian rather than the arrow! ;)

This sounds excellent!

Always fascinated by curling. Find myself watching it in the Olympics at 3am. So meticulous and precise.

If I might ask...

What are some of the preferred curling cocktails and snacks?

How come youre not curling this year? Sorry if you already explained.

Scotee - I once made a remark about not fully appreciating a golf course being plopped in the desert. You may recall my opine. I hereby reverse that opine! LOL. There will be days ahead I'd dearly love to be there. Hashtag - Eating my words and they taste nasty.

Scomacer - I totally confess. Had to look up the term bonspiel convener. And didn't see it explained very well. Hashtag - stumped. Guessing it's the head person in charge?

Tol - We hit the Ikea hard when our kids were in college. Recall building our daughter a computer hutch and installing the hutch doors backwards!

Radro - Yes we've been socked in one eye by Florence and will now get slapped in the other eye by Michael. Have generator, will survive.

Bsc - Sure glad you've plugged back in lately. Ever play golf in North Jersey? Years ago but I used to play at some place I "think" was called Apple Valley. An annual company event was held there. Been a long time ago so I may be way off on the name. It was Apple-"something". lol.

Off to adjust my bonspiel. It's a little out of tune. :to_become_senile:

This is our youngest Siamese, he likes to climb.

Doors, fly screens, cupboards, anything he can find. This is our front door only open for 5mins before he was there. Problem is with this door he cannot get down, I have to bring out a step ladder and carry him down.

Life is interesting.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Scotee, what good pictures, as I have said before, isn’t nature wonderfull. You seem to have had an awesome time, now back to reality.

Sco, do you think you will ever get back to curling, as with your golf it seems sad that your playing days could be over, I know my golf has now taken a massive downturn, I was going to start up every week again but as usual the conspiracy of life has struck. For both of us there is always tomorrow and it could be better.

Painting day tomorrow and DW is now on a diet to lose a little weight before her procedure. Massive storms coming through, however we have a line of hills it has to pass and it always manages to divert the worst of it

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Tried to post a reply about the videos and was told I had posted too many videos. Never seen that before and don’t know what it means.

Anyways up, what a fantastic group of music lovers, some really good stuff posted on here, the New Orleans vid posted by Sco was wild wild wild, where the heck do you all find this music.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Forego golf yesterday. I cut my grass yesterday, and washed and polished my Lebaron. I've never seen grass as thick and lush in October as this year. I hadn't gut grass for two weeks, and the mower kept stalling.

I've wanted to clean and polish the Lebaron for a month or so. Really was dingy looking. The convertible top came pretty clean with a spritz of Windex, followed by washing the whole car with Dawn dishwashing soapy water. Scrubbed the car with a soft car brush. Followed by a rinse, and a spray wax applied. Amazing how good the spray waxes look. I don't use cleaner/wax very often. Just removes paint.

Happened to be in eastern Ohio, (Calcutta) last week. Stopped into a Dunham's, looking at golf shoes. Talked to an old lady working there, advising me that shoes are not returnable if they even look like they've been worn, and they don't honor any warranty. I walked out. So, the woman who was rude to me in PA was following company policy. For the woman to inform me of their policy, means the company is in financial trouble. Good riddance, Dunhams.

Supposed to be the last hot day for a while. Cold front tomorrow.

Play well, guys.

Reason,

Always liked the Long Cool woman song. Was in Fort Knox when I first heard it. Never understood the lyrics, until reading them on youtube. Working for the FBI, bad men and bottles piling high, etc.

Absolutely, I had no clue what the Hollies were singing. The song always reminded me of Kathleen Turner, (Body Heat) at the reading of the will scene. Racine, telling her outside, "You look good in black."

Won't argue with him about that.

Reason,

Always liked the Long Cool woman song. Was in Fort Knox when I first heard it. Never understood the lyrics, until reading them on youtube. Working for the FBI, bad men and bottles piling high, etc.

Absolutely, I had no clue what the Hollies were singing. The song always reminded me of Kathleen Turner, (Body Heat) at the reading of the will scene. Racine, telling her outside, "You look good in black."

Won't argue with him about that.

He worked for the FBI, she was singing in a bar during Prohibition, the bar was being raided for alcohol, he saved her from being arrested, yeah until you knew that, it was kinda mysterious...

We live about 2 miles from this Amish deli, no long cool women, some short ones in long blue dresses... but great meat, cheese, other goodies, this time of year pumpkins, gourds, mums, lots of other stuff to sample, makes for nice shopping with DW, everything always fresh :)

We have a local store where everything is super fresh, vegetables last a long time unlike the so called main supermarkets. These are offering fresh food? That takes up to three weeks to get from warehouse to store, almost past it as you buy it.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

This sounds excellent!

Always fascinated by curling. Find myself watching it in the Olympics at 3am. So meticulous and precise.

If I might ask...

What are some of the preferred curling cocktails and snacks?

How come youre not curling this year? Sorry if you already explained.

I injured my back last fall curling. Not exactly sure what happened, but I have been diagnosed with degenerating discs in my lumbar/sacrum as a result of further investigation. It's amazing to me how some folks just don't get it. A sore back; how bad can that be? Some days are better, some not so much. It's a bit of a long story that has been documented in the annuls of these pages.

As far as curling specific snacks and beverages, perhaps the only one that comes to mind is a Hogliner which is a mixture of orange juice and cranberry juice for the teetotaler. I suppose it could quite easily have vodka mixed in, but I've never ordered it that way or been asked to. Some members have very specific beverage preferences which the old bartender knew by heart when you would order Gord's special or Shirley's special, so the new guy will have to be trained and that will take a bit.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)