Streamsong Experience

nicksterjr

how similar

I played there this past winter. It was a great experience. I enjoyed it more than Bandon. Never been across the pond for golf but that's my next big golf trip.

Couldn't imagine going to Streamsong during the summer. You guys are brave souls.

You're kidding, right? I might could understand that if you were comparing the Bandon Dunes or Trails courses to the Red or Blue at Streamsong, but Pacific Dunes and Old MacDonald? Having recently spent four years living in the UK, making two trips to Scotland, and playing golf from one end of England to the other...it's incredible how similar Bandon is to Scotland. Looking at the photos Juan73 posted and seeing primarily one color--green everything, does not give one much hope of encountering a course as presented in the photos on Streamsong's website. I have a tee time for the Red Course in Sept, but if it looks like Juan's photos---it will be less than impressive. I would really hate it if I enjoy the round at Southern Dunes more than Streamsong Red...and I've played the Dunes 25 times or so since it opened.

Not the Southern Dunes in Haines City I hope?....LOL........

how similar

I played there this past winter. It was a great experience. I enjoyed it more than Bandon. Never been across the pond for golf but that's my next big golf trip.

Couldn't imagine going to Streamsong during the summer. You guys are brave souls.

You're kidding, right? I might could understand that if you were comparing the Bandon Dunes or Trails courses to the Red or Blue at Streamsong, but Pacific Dunes and Old MacDonald? Having recently spent four years living in the UK, making two trips to Scotland, and playing golf from one end of England to the other...it's incredible how similar Bandon is to Scotland. Looking at the photos Juan73 posted and seeing primarily one color--green everything, does not give one much hope of encountering a course as presented in the photos on Streamsong's website. I have a tee time for the Red Course in Sept, but if it looks like Juan's photos---it will be less than impressive. I would really hate it if I enjoy the round at Southern Dunes more than Streamsong Red...and I've played the Dunes 25 times or so since it opened.

Yes, that one...they are re-opening the first of September after rebuilding their greens again for some reason, the second or third time if I'm not mistaken. I played it for the first time in six years last fall and was amazed how much it had matured and filled in since the last time I was there. One of the best tracks in the Orlando area and I've played most of them thru the years.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

how similar

Yes, that one...they are re-opening the first of September after rebuilding their greens again for some reason, the second or third time if I'm not mistaken. I played it for the first time in six years last fall and was amazed how much it had matured and filled in since the last time I was there. One of the best tracks in the Orlando area and I've played most of them thru the years.

I was there when it opened, and not to play golf......LOL.......Not sure if you know the history, Had some major fun there.....Great course......I lived out at Grenelefe.....

how similar

I was there when it opened, and not to play golf......LOL.......Not sure if you know the history, Had some major fun there.....Great course......I lived out at Grenelefe.....

Not all the history. Living in Winter Haven I heard quite a few stories over the years, mostly involving Lake Region where my dad was a member...I hated that place, did my heart a lot of good when I saw they had coupons in the local paper to drum up business after they were forced to go public. I remember playing Grenelefe West numerous times...what a crying shame that was, South & East aren't even remotely in the same league. I know Diamondback was built by disgruntled Grenelefe members; phenomenal track...but it's gone too. Several great courses in central Florida closed or wrecked by mis-management or old fashioned stupidity. Osprey Ridge & Eagle Pines at Disney are a classic example of people with more money & greed than brains.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Just booked my 2nd trip to Streamsong for my wife and I next April. The booking process wasn't quite as simple as it could have been and I had to wait a couple of weeks for booking confirmation (they had the incorrect email address) but I'm very much looking forward to returning. This year I didn't try either the BBQ shack nor the taco stand, I won't be making that mistake next year.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
Cobra F8 3w w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Orange
Callaway Rogue 5w w/ Oban Isawa Red
Titleist 818 H1 hybrid w/ Oban Isawa Red
Srixon z765 5-pw w/ Steelfiber
Vokey SM7 52F, 56F, 60K w/ Steelfiber
PXG Darkness Gunboat

Just played red about a week age and love the course but the BBQ shack at the eighth seems odd to me, who while walking wants to stop for BBQ?

Everyone in the group I went with - every single day. Just curious did you stop to actually eat there? Its awesome, its not like they have giant racks of ribs, everything they sell (chicken on a stick, small sausage sandwiches etc) is all portioned so its small and easy to eat/carry/handle. Plus the next hole is a drivable Par 4 so there was a wait every day we played. IMO it was perfectly designed and the food was great. The sausage sandwich was so good I actually went back for a second one while we were waiting on 9. Definitely recommend it next time you're there.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Just walked 36 today guys. Great conditions. And of course imho the red is so much more superior than the blue. I'm going to have to put the blue course up there with wolf creek as unnecessary tricked up. It's a great layout. Why the greens as is blows my mind. I used to be okay with the blue but after today never again. I hit 10 gir and post one of the worst rounds I've ever played there. And it's not like one end of the green to another. Hole 18 I was on in regulation with a 15 footer. Somehow there's a mound between me and the flag. Of course I 3-putt it. I probably need to buy a new putter after today's round at the blue. And the red as always has be best views. The most fair conditions. And the best layout.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Just walked 36 today guys. Great conditions. And of course imho the red is so much more superior than the blue. I'm going to have to put the blue course up there with wolf creek as unnecessary tricked up. It's a great layout. Why the greens as is blows my mind. I used to be okay with the blue but after today never again. I hit 10 gir and post one of the worst rounds I've ever played there. And it's not like one end of the green to another. Hole 18 I was on in regulation with a 15 footer. Somehow there's a mound between me and the flag. Of course I 3-putt it. I probably need to buy a new putter after today's round at the blue. And the red as always has be best views. The most fair conditions. And the best layout.

Have you played any other Doak courses? How about a classic, golden age course with wild greens?

I agree that the Blue can be tough around the greens the first time, but after a couple plays, it's a ton of fun.

Played the red and blue 2 years ago. Going back in 3 weeks. Really nice courses. The price is a bit steep, but not compared to Whistling or Pinehurst. I was really impressed with the courses. The Red is far superior but they are both awesome. Conditions were very nice. Staff was so so, but the caddies were good.

Have you played any other Doak courses? How about a classic, golden age course with wild greens?

I agree that the Blue can be tough around the greens the first time, but after a couple plays, it's a ton of fun.

Part of the fun of a place like this, everyone will think something different. I loved both courses but thought the Blue was really fun. Played the 6 hole loop a few extra times too. But IMO its just like Bandon, ask 100 people who have been to rank their favorite courses and you'll get 100 different answers.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I've played a lot of golden age courses. Yale. Bethpage. Country club at Brookline to name a few. I've also played enough CB/Raynor courses to appreciate certain layouts. This is also my 5th time playing the blue course. And it seems to be less enjoyable the more I play it. I asked my playing partner that day what hole was his favorite on blue. He couldn't remember. We both were in Vegas playing wolfcreek in July and he commented that just like wolfcreek the blue was too much tricked up for its own good.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Also I don't think I'm that crappy of a player. I did shoot a 40 in the back 9 of the blue with an awful 3 putt bogey from 15 ft out on the 18th hole. Apparently hitting to the left of the flag is a no no that day.

And this isn't me shaming the blue course by any means. I think the layout is wonderful. Everything was nice. I just don't understand why he had to do what he did to the greens. It truly was so unnecessary.

And I never stopped to notice until my playing partner told me. He said the red had better visual. I am going to agree completely on this.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

What are the course conditions like in the summer??

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

What are the course conditions like in the summer??

Pre-heat your oven to 350 and stick your head in with fan blowing behind you.

Funny.. I am from the South so I am fine with the heat and humidity.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

watch out for afternoon thunderstorms but the course drains so well that you won't have an issue EVER. I played the day after hurricane hermonie rolled through. The area received 6-9inches of rain and there was an afternoon 45 minute thunderstorm middle of my round and the ball was rolling on the fairway. The greens were rolling at about 13-14 the day we played I kid you not. Just a wonderful course and such a treat to be able to play there whenever I want.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

watch out for afternoon thunderstorms but the course drains so well that you won't have an issue EVER. I played the day after hurricane hermonie rolled through. The area received 6-9inches of rain and there was an afternoon 45 minute thunderstorm middle of my round and the ball was rolling on the fairway. The greens were rolling at about 13-14 the day we played I kid you not. Just a wonderful course and such a treat to be able to play there whenever I want.

The greens at Streamsong MiniVerde. The fairways are 419.

Jerebear, I agree with a lot of your posts, but the greens were most certainly NOT running 13-14 in the last two weeks. Likely about 10-10.5.

You are correct about the drainage though, it is unlike anything else in the state.

sorry, but that's what the caddie told us that day. I'm going with what they told me. I've played 10-11 before (TPC tampa, Old Memorial, Copperhead) and they were faster than 10-11.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

sorry, but that's what the caddie told us that day. I'm going with what they told me. I've played 10-11 before (TPC tampa, Old Memorial, Copperhead) and they were faster than 10-11.

I was out there on Friday and Sunday of last week. Your caddy was off by 3 feet. If the greens on the Blue were at 14, the pace of play would be 7 hours.

certainly not throwing my caddie under the bus; like I said, I've played 10-11 on the stimp before and saturday, september 3rd, the greens were clearly faster than 10-11.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

our morning rounds on the blue as a four-some took 5.5 hours. The afternoon red round took 4 hours since the starter allowed us to loop around the 6th holes in front of 6-8 groups of four-some.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

• 2 weeks later...

Played Red Course yesterday...underwhelmed is my overall impression. I guess I've played too much in Florida over the years, just not that much of a wow factor. I'm more excited about Southern Dunes tomorrow, but to each his own. Red reminded me a little of Championsgate International back when it used to be kept in nice condition...but it in no way compares with Bandon, that's just ludicrous. Single A ball vs Major League, way overpriced to boot. The staff is aloof and fails to do much other than take your money. It's probably a better winter course, but then the astronomical greenfee is an even larger absurdity.

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Championsgate international ? Come on man. The red is the best course in Florida. tpc sawgrass 2nd and concession is 3rd.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x