Hole changed due to repairs - how to post in GHIN

I played a local course today and they had one hole (long par 5) that was having serious maintenance. They told me ahead of time that it was cart-path only due to maintenance. And if i wished to play it as a par-3 due to my disability, they had a tee setup at 150 yards.

So we get to the hole, nothing is marked and the regular tees are all setup. So we hit balls, go down the hole to about 250-300 out. Have ranger there, Now its all marked and roped off as cart path only. but a temp ranger there says they have an alternative, we're supposed to go to 150 and play it as a par-3 for all tees. All tees are setup there. Part of our group does that, I pick up and mark the hole as if I had quit in the middle and posted like USGA rules. Another plays it regularly.

And to be honest, i found out its been this way for over a month and from the looks of the hole, it seems it'll be this way until maybe December at the earliest. So about 6 months, this temp situation will be there.

Technically though, I have the question what legitimately were we supposed to do. Course definitely isn't rated for this to be par-3. Rated as long par-5. So USGA rating and of course, slope are technically wrong.

And if one starts the hole because they are under the mis-information that the hole is playing as normal and then are told to quit that and play it as a par-3, how does they count the strokes already taken to that point or are they ignored.

I honestly don't know the answers to either of these questions.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played a local course today and they had one hole (long par 5) that was having serious maintenance. They told me ahead of time that it was cart-path only due to maintenance. And if i wished to play it as a par-3 due to my disability, they had a tee setup at 150 yards.

So we get to the hole, nothing is marked and the regular tees are all setup. So we hit balls, go down the hole to about 250-300 out. Have ranger there, Now its all marked and roped off as cart path only. but a temp ranger there says they have an alternative, we're supposed to go to 150 and play it as a par-3 for all tees. All tees are setup there. Part of our group does that, I pick up and mark the hole as if I had quit in the middle and posted like USGA rules. Another plays it regularly.

And to be honest, i found out its been this way for over a month and from the looks of the hole, it seems it'll be this way until maybe December at the earliest. So about 6 months, this temp situation will be there.

Technically though, I have the question what legitimately were we supposed to do. Course definitely isn't rated for this to be par-3. Rated as long par-5. So USGA rating and of course, slope are technically wrong.

And if one starts the hole because they are under the mis-information that the hole is playing as normal and then are told to quit that and play it as a par-3, how does they count the strokes already taken to that point or are they ignored.

I honestly don't know the answers to either of these questions.

See 5-2g here: http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/Handicapping/handicap-manual.html#!rule-14379

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

If you started on the normal tees, par 5, then picked up, you'd post the score for the hole as "most likely score". If you picked up and then played from the correct tees, the ones the committee made as a par 3, you'd post you score for the par 3, plus the penalty for playing from wrong place.

You can adjust the rating a slope for the course using the USGA chart.

For posting your round, I would just post par plus any handicap strokes you are entitled to on that hole.

What is supposed to happen is the course should communicate the correct procedure by having signs posted in the golf shop including near the computer, and they should also tell you about it before play. The 2 basic ways are to use the above (par plus handicap strokes) or if they call the association they could come up with a (temporary) rating for the course based on this hole being played as a par 3. It sounds like they did not do either.

14-5. Modification of Courses

bc0e0f62-e16f-4102-990a-2696b8190dae.gif a. Temporary Changes

The Handicap Committee must notify the authorized golf association when temporary tees and/or greens are used. (See Decision 5-1a/3.) The authorized golf association will decide whether scores made under those conditions are to be accepted for handicap purposes, and whether the USGA Course Rating and Slope Rating should be modified temporarily. The Handicap Committee has a responsibility to notify its members that when a hole is not played due to construction, the score for that hole must be par plus any handicap strokes to which the player is entitled. (See Section 4-2.)

5-1a/3. Returning Scores for Handicap Purposes While Playing on Temporary Greens or Tees

Q: May a club accept scores for handicap purposes if temporary greens or tees are being used?

A: Yes. If the Rules of Golf can be followed during the reconstruction period, scores should be posted. The club must contact its authorized golf association for advice regarding its specific situation. If a temporary green (not an alternate permanent green) is played, the recommendation of the authorized golf association may be for the club to advise players to post par plus any handicap strokes the player is entitled to receive on that hole. (See Section 4-2 and 14-5)

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Interesting. I posted my score as picked up, most likely score. So i did it at least correctly and it was what i thought but wasn't sure of.

But the suggestion that the club should notify the handicap commitee and the local USGA to get temp. rating is interesting. Like a lot of local clubs, including several private, asking a handicap committee to do anything is a joke since a number of clubs in the area don't have handicap committees. They are not even sure of the process or what a committee actually does. And this particular course I'm sure didn't and isn't going to call the local association about this. If they can't tell people or post any signs about this in the pro shop what makes one think that they would actually go to the effort to notify the local association.

Some people are playing the hole as it is, warts and all. Others are playing from the "temp tees" Others are picking up and not playing. But everyone is posting their scores as if nothing was different. Not like it probably should be, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the education. I do appreciate knowing and understanding how to handle this the correct way.

Interesting. I posted my score as picked up, most likely score. So i did it at least correctly and it was what i thought but wasn't sure of.

But the suggestion that the club should notify the handicap commitee and the local USGA to get temp. rating is interesting. Like a lot of local clubs, including several private, asking a handicap committee to do anything is a joke since a number of clubs in the area don't have handicap committees. They are not even sure of the process or what a committee actually does. And this particular course I'm sure didn't and isn't going to call the local association about this. If they can't tell people or post any signs about this in the pro shop what makes one think that they would actually go to the effort to notify the local association.

Some people are playing the hole as it is, warts and all. Others are playing from the "temp tees" Others are picking up and not playing. But everyone is posting their scores as if nothing was different. Not like it probably should be, but it is what it is.

Thanks for the education. I do appreciate knowing and understanding how to handle this the correct way.

Because you are able to use the actual green, I would push for a temporary rating. I would set distances for the various tees and call the association. Depending on the hole, they may be able to set a rating over the phone(?) (They may perhaps use 5-2g as Sui mentioned. They may not need to come out and rate it.) Even if they didn't have a real Handicap Committee, this is something the Pro, or course manager, or course superintendent could handle without too much trouble. If it was a temporary green of poor quality, then I would probably stick with par plus strokes. Just my thoughts.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5