Fitting Tall Golfers With NO Chart or Preconceived Ideas!

rybo

Smurf, what shafts are you using? Sorry I may have missed in one of your earlier posts.

Rifle 7.0's in 4-GW softstepped 1x and X100's in the SW and LW. I've always felt my X100's were a little soft so I thought at longer lengths I need something stiffer, I figured this set would be a good opportunity to experiment.

Smurf, what shafts are you using? Sorry I may have missed in one of your earlier posts.

Rifle 7.0's in 4-GW softstepped 1x and X100's in the SW and LW. I've always felt my X100's were a little soft so I thought at longer lengths I need something stiffer, I figured this set would be a good opportunity to experiment.

Those are really heavy and stout shafts. I used the play the X-100s overlength but too heavy for me. I'm not sure what lighter weight shaft you could use that would still be as stiff.

Good feedback smurf. Still trying to decide on shafts too. I currently have c tapers in stiff soft stepped. But want to try something different as the overall feel of the shaft feels heavy and think the profile doesn't really fit my swing.

Anyway, I have a set of kbs tour v X stiff I plan on trying. Supposedly the tour and v will swing weight out lighter? Not sure if you have played kbs before but could be worth a look or maybe c taper lite? As a DG user, you may not like the feel though.

I have heard the true temper XL Lite are supposed to be a very stiff profile and also lighter weight. They come stock in longer length. They are super cheap to so could be worth a shot? Or DG SL could be another option if you want to stick with X100 but the are more $. Not sure if your playing taper tip?

The issue, I feel, with going to the light weight shaft is that it makes the head feel out of proportion to the shaft. I had been playing C-Taper Lite's for the last year and just switched to KSB tours. My consistency has gone way up, especially in the middle irons. It also flattened the trajectory out.

All this said, I have been playing longer clubs since I was a kid, so I have pretty much accepted the heavier SW.

I also found DG X100's to be too heavy, mostly in the mid to long irons.

The Steelfibers in i95's and i110's have been good. I have a lone Recoil 95 Prototype F4 in a 277g 50* wedge that has been outstanding from the day it was put in. It CPM's at 308 while the i95 Stiff CPM's at 285 and the i95 X and i110 stiff are 295 CPM's in 282-4 gram PW heads. All are at 38". Extremely low readings for sure but the X and i110 play stiff. They feel much stiffer then the Recoil F4, but the Recoil is the only shaft I haven't touched or thought about changing since it was put in.

Have been thinking a set of DG AMT's might work well with over length builds. Also have been talking to my local shop about getting some additional Recoils to try.

Haven't tried a DG SL yet.

I borrowed an old Karsten swingweight scale tonight and measured all of my irons and wedges. I'm not sure how close I got it to their true SW but I stayed consistent on what I called "it" as.

714 MB's and SM5's +.5" X100's

4 - D7.5

5 - D7.5

6 - D7.5

7 - D7.5

8 - D7.5

9 - D7.5

PW - D7.5

50 - D8

55 - D9

60 - E0

Maltby +1.5" - +7/8" (short to long)

4 - D8.5

5 - E0

6 - E1

7 - E2

8 - E2

9 - E3

PW - E5

GW - E4.5

SW - E4

LW - E1.5

The only true std. club I play is my 3 wood which I measured at D4, but, I'm not sure what it is supposed to SW at with the D+ 80x. I think it's close...

Anyways, I think I see why my LW felt best. It is closest to my other LW in swingweight and both are X100's. I'm gonna order some weights and try to match up the swingweights then re-evaluate. If my lofts and lies are good I'll be able to come to a conclusion on the shafts.

Little update here on my new, longer clubs. I got 16 holes in on Sunday in 35* temps and 10-15 mph winds. Not ideal conditions for testing by any means, especially considering how little I've gotten to play lately.

Pros:

I feel extremely comfortable at address, especially now over my short irons. The wedges really surprised me with my pitches and chips and were immediate improvements! I hit some really great pitch shots that took next to nothing in terms of club manipulation. If I was in mid season form with my shorter clubs I would have a hard time beating any of the pitch shots I took with the longer wedges. I'm very happy with how my setup feels and how natural my chip/pitch movements feel.

The full swing shots felt like my swing was on a much better (flatter) plane that helped shallow the club more coming down into the ball. No more conscious effort to stay down through the ball. I felt like I was compressing the ball well and for the first time I was taking a good, uniform divot without effort. Overall, I found myself doing a lot less manipulation with my hands and I was finishing on my left side with ease.

Cons:

As good as all of the above felt, these clubs are not playable for me, yet... They simply feel too heavy and I do not get good distance nor ball flight out of them. The ball ballooned on me, drifted off to the right mostly, and were considerably shorter. I can't say I'm that disappointed because I knew they would swing weight very heavy, but, I feel like I severely underestimated my sensitivity to swing weight changes of this amount.

My next step with these clubs is to get them down in swing weight. Once the swing weights are down to what I'm used to I will hopefully be able to tell whether or not the clubs' total weights are too high for my comfort. If I can go a little shorter and still maintain this level of comfort, I may try going from +1.5" to +1-1.25" in wedges then progress up the same to help manage overall weight and swing weight.

After all my proposed efforts are exhausted, I will resort to light weight shafts. Being a strong, high speed player in the past, this has been very humbling experiment. However, it has shown me that there is more comfortable and hopefully even better golf to be played once I work out all these little details.

I think you'll figure out how to get used to them, and I suspect you're doing something new in your new swing that's contributing to the flight issues. Look at the stats at the clubs/shafts in my bag and compare them to yours. That said, my irons come in at about a D6-D8 range, with the wedges in the E2-E3 range. You have to get some lightening of the heads at these lengths. Only your 9-SW really seem "too" heavy. I had a lighter shaft in a previous set of clubs and it just ballooned more. Sure, it was easier to swing, but that shaft only accounts for about 1-2 swing weight points, and affects ball flight a lot.

I also found DG X100's to be too heavy, mostly in the mid to long irons.

The Steelfibers in i95's and i110's have been good. I have a lone Recoil 95 Prototype F4 in a 277g 50* wedge that has been outstanding from the day it was put in. It CPM's at 308 while the i95 Stiff CPM's at 285 and the i95 X and i110 stiff are 295 CPM's in 282-4 gram PW heads. All are at 38". Extremely low readings for sure but the X and i110 play stiff. They feel much stiffer then the Recoil F4, but the Recoil is the only shaft I haven't touched or thought about changing since it was put in.

Have been thinking a set of DG AMT's might work well with over length builds. Also have been talking to my local shop about getting some additional Recoils to try.

Haven't tried a DG SL yet.

The DG SL plays similar to DG, at least at S300, but significantly lighter. It is a little harsh on mishits. It has the balance point shifted to allow easier swing weight adjustment at standard lengths. Great for total weight though.

Another inexpensive option might be the old TT lite. Plays pretty stiff which might be good as the added length softens the flex.

Little update here on my new, longer clubs. I got 16 holes in on Sunday in 35* temps and 10-15 mph winds. Not ideal conditions for testing by any means, especially considering how little I've gotten to play lately.

Pros:

I feel extremely comfortable at address, especially now over my short irons. The wedges really surprised me with my pitches and chips and were immediate improvements! I hit some really great pitch shots that took next to nothing in terms of club manipulation. If I was in mid season form with my shorter clubs I would have a hard time beating any of the pitch shots I took with the longer wedges. I'm very happy with how my setup feels and how natural my chip/pitch movements feel.

The full swing shots felt like my swing was on a much better (flatter) plane that helped shallow the club more coming down into the ball. No more conscious effort to stay down through the ball. I felt like I was compressing the ball well and for the first time I was taking a good, uniform divot without effort. Overall, I found myself doing a lot less manipulation with my hands and I was finishing on my left side with ease.

Cons:

As good as all of the above felt, these clubs are not playable for me, yet... They simply feel too heavy and I do not get good distance nor ball flight out of them. The ball ballooned on me, drifted off to the right mostly, and were considerably shorter. I can't say I'm that disappointed because I knew they would swing weight very heavy, but, I feel like I severely underestimated my sensitivity to swing weight changes of this amount.

My next step with these clubs is to get them down in swing weight. Once the swing weights are down to what I'm used to I will hopefully be able to tell whether or not the clubs' total weights are too high for my comfort. If I can go a little shorter and still maintain this level of comfort, I may try going from +1.5" to +1-1.25" in wedges then progress up the same to help manage overall weight and swing weight.

After all my proposed efforts are exhausted, I will resort to light weight shafts. Being a strong, high speed player in the past, this has been very humbling experiment. However, it has shown me that there is more comfortable and hopefully even better golf to be played once I work out all these little details.

I think you'll figure out how to get used to them, and I suspect you're doing something new in your new swing that's contributing to the flight issues. Look at the stats at the clubs/shafts in my bag and compare them to yours. That said, my irons come in at about a D6-D8 range, with the wedges in the E2-E3 range. You have to get some lightening of the heads at these lengths. Only your 9-SW really seem "too" heavy. I had a lighter shaft in a previous set of clubs and it just ballooned more. Sure, it was easier to swing, but that shaft only accounts for about 1-2 swing weight points, and affects ball flight a lot.

Were you able to take some weight out of the heads by changing the weight insert on those pings? What do they weigh in at without the insert?

On the issue of high flight, give yourself some time getting acclimated to the new lengths. Much like trying single length, one time at the range or a round or two just isn't enough time for a fair comparison. I also had some shots with extremely high flight when first going longer. I believe it has something to do with how us tall guys have trained our release of the club through impact, we figured out a way to make it work. With a club that is too short we are hunched over, hands too far inside, reaching, toe down, slightly closed club face, etc etc, then all of a sudden you have a club that is proper length being able to use the loft of the club as designed and the swing has not caught up to the new positions you are in. It still feels like I am undoing/learning the proper movement of the club. It's a rapid change that still needs time to occur.

Being very cognizant of club path is something I have had to pay attention to. I no longer need to be excessively inside to out for my standard draw, this has been true with every club. I hit balls in groups of three, draw, fade and straight, and it is noticeably easier to practice these shots with the longer clubs.

On the issue of high flight, give yourself some time getting acclimated to the new lengths. Much like trying single length, one time at the range or a round or two just isn't enough time for a fair comparison. I also had some shots with extremely high flight when first going longer. I believe it has something to do with how us tall guys have trained our release of the club through impact, we figured out a way to make it work. With a club that is too short we are hunched over, hands too far inside, reaching, toe down, slightly closed club face, etc etc, then all of a sudden you have a club that is proper length being able to use the loft of the club as designed and the swing has not caught up to the new positions you are in. It still feels like I am undoing/learning the proper movement of the club. It's a rapid change that still needs time to occur.

Being very cognizant of club path is something I have had to pay attention to. I no longer need to be excessively inside to out for my standard draw, this has been true with every club. I hit balls in groups of three, draw, fade and straight, and it is noticeably easier to practice these shots with the longer clubs.

Thanks for your insight, and I agree I may be doing something from my previous swing causing that shot in my new set. I'm sure the DBM heads are higher launch than my MB's, too. Lie angle and lofts will be the last item I will be able to check and I'll try to keep those factors in mind through this process.

Pros:

Cons:

Were you able to take some weight out of the heads by changing the weight insert on those pings? What do they weigh in at without the insert?

I specified everything I wanted when I ordered from Pong and they did it. Sometimes it want exact but was close. I measured what they sent me for my sig and you'll see that; you can probably guess what my exact request was. I surmise that Ping can exactly adjust swing weight back to standard spec by changing the insert for about the first 1.25" of extra length. Longer than that and it will get heavier.

Got my swing weights matched to my other clubs. The new clubs still feel heavy but more so just overall, they swing much better now. I'm working on sitting down a bit more at address and having less waist bend, much more doable now with the longer clubs not being so upright. It has been helping my striking consistency being able to shallow the club more. Also, my toe side thin misses have been reduced greatly.

Played a few times with the new irons. They were custom ordered by someone at 1.75" over Callaway standard which makes them play around 2" up. First time I've casually hit 100+ balls and not been really sore in any way minus some tired hips from having to work a new and more correct motion.

They don't feel heavier at all compared to my old Adams irons with CTaper 130's.

I'm hitting the ball higher than anticipated but working on a few things with my release has brought the ball flight down. Every shot is a cut/fade however as I haven't been able to change my path with the longer clubs successfully yet. My only gripe about the longer set is it is not as easy to control them YET. Learning a bit of a new and hopefully more consistent swing will be a fun challenge.

Only thing left to do is figure out how these lengths work in the short irons and I can extend or cut down the shafts as needed now that I have the longer base length.

Played a few times with the new irons. They were custom ordered by someone at 1.75" over Callaway standard which makes them play around 2" up. First time I've casually hit 100+ balls and not been really sore in any way minus some tired hips from having to work a new and more correct motion.

They don't feel heavier at all compared to my old Adams irons with CTaper 130's.

I'm hitting the ball higher than anticipated but working on a few things with my release has brought the ball flight down. Every shot is a cut/fade however as I haven't been able to change my path with the longer clubs successfully yet. My only gripe about the longer set is it is not as easy to control them YET. Learning a bit of a new and hopefully more consistent swing will be a fun challenge.

Only thing left to do is figure out how these lengths work in the short irons and I can extend or cut down the shafts as needed now that I have the longer base length.

Sounds like you are experiencing similar initial results as I have. I'm finding that all this time I have been very straight legged and close to the ball, hence why my last fitting had me at +.5" and 4* up. How much knee bend do you have vs. waist bend? I hit in a dome this weekend and was working on less waist bend and more knee bend. Ball flight improved and I started drawing the ball very easily. It now feels like I can go slightly shorter in my clubs and maybe 1-2* up.

Having a hard time trying to find the right counter weight. Ping eye 2 head with zz65 100 gram shaft 2 inches longer. The length is perfect for me, I know that much:) I just can't get any help in my area to figure out the rest of the equation

http://www.golfwrx.c...n-head-weights/

2 - 228g

3 - 235g

4 - 241g

5 - 249g

6 - 253g

7 - 259g

8 - 267g

9- 275g

PW - 285g

SW - 292g

LW - 291g

1/2" = 3 swing weight points

2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point

5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point

9 gr shaft weight differences = 1 swing weight point

4* flatter lie or more up right lie = increase or decrease 1 swing weight point

This estimater will get you close, but by no means should it be used in place of an actual scale.

http://www.valuegolf...ght-calculator/

Having a hard time trying to find the right counter weight. Ping eye 2 head with zz65 100 gram shaft 2 inches longer. The length is perfect for me, I know that much:) I just can't get any help in my area to figure out the rest of the equation

http://www.golfwrx.c...n-head-weights/

2 - 228g

3 - 235g

4 - 241g

5 - 249g

6 - 253g

7 - 259g

8 - 267g

9- 275g

PW - 285g

SW - 292g

LW - 291g

1/2" = 3 swing weight points

2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point

5 gr grip = 1 swing weight point

9 gr shaft weight differences = 1 swing weight point

4* flatter lie or more up right lie = increase or decrease 1 swing weight point

This estimater will get you close, but by no means should it be used in place of an actual scale.

http://www.valuegolf...ght-calculator/

Wow! Thank you for digging that up! Really appreciate it.

"Patience without understanding"

Just keep in mind that counter-weighting will increase the heft weight, if that's what's needed, but won't really do anything for the head weight if the MOI is too high. No matter how much weight you add to the butt, that weight is still going to be on the head end of the golf club, regardless of what a swingweight scale would tell you. The counterbalance weight is only in the hands, so the weight doesn't really offset the head weight, it just adds some additional weight on the hand side that doesn't increase the MOI at the same time. For some, the additional weight feeling is something they need, so in that case it's helpful. If the head weight is to high, the only way to really remedy that is getting weight out of the head through things like porting and bore drilling.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

So let me ask, those with a lot of experience in this area, what would you choose? What shaft, what head, what grip? Basically your perfect match regardless of brand. I hear mizuno has some good options on lighter heads?

Ping for heads. With their weight inserts they have the most flexibility among mass manufacturers to make the clubhead lighter, and their ordering process is set up to accommodate this (go through WRX department though). Grips and shaft are whatever fits you. As long as this remains the case in the industry, I'll play Ping irons the rest of my life.

Hi Rybo,

I've been reading this thread with great interest, and like your ideas. Interestingly (since you indicated that you are a cyclist and a skier), I'm a bicycle fitting professional and have also been a ski boot fitter. I can tell you that both cycling and skiing have the same issues (at least in regards to equipment) that we're dealing with in golf equipment. If you'd like to hear more, feel free to PM me, and we can discuss things. I can tell you (as a 6'4" person) that you cannot purchase a bicycle that fits you "properly" based on biomechanic principles at any bike shop in the world...

In any event, I'm a shade under 6'4", WTF = 39.25" - 39.5", and shoulder height is 61.5"-ish (had to perform measurements myself).

I've been playing 1" over std length irons & wedges, now thinking about basically 2" over, 38" PW.

I kind of have a feeling I should go more than 38" based on the math, but am trying to avoid swingweight headaches as much as I can.

I do have the Balance Certified "Accurizer's" : http://www.balancecertified.com/accurizer.html for my irons, which help a great deal in creating a decent swingweight. Obviously static weight is higher, and I've yet to dive into fully understanding MOI relative to the entire club. My MOI journey is still to come, but I struggle with the same issues all the other strapping individuals on the thread have commented on. Getting the "right" length shafts is job #1 for me right now, and I'm heading into the basement to start playing around tonight.

I'd love hearing any feedback you might have for me, and thanks for doing the thinking on this topic and starting the thread. I've known that something hasn't been right with my clubs for a long time, and I think this might be one of the last pieces of the puzzle for me!

Jimberely,

Love your comments as I can totally relate to both sports!! I actually taught skiing for two seasons in college and worked in a ski shop for close to 4 years after that. Also have competed in numerous triathlons, all the way up to the half ironman distance(5 hours 43 minutes being my best time). Currently still have two tri-bikes, a road bike and a mountain bike, and only one of those I consider a good fit! Your comments ring so true in both sports. (I get to CO pretty often as my son goes to DU, have a sister-in-law in Idaho Springs, and usually go skiing at least twice a year)

Don't be afraid to go longer, it's the missing shaft length that is hindering you. Even swing weight is relative, D2 in a 38" PW feels way too light to me. D7-ish feels much better! Have been looking into an MOI machine more and more the further I get into this!

So let me ask, those with a lot of experience in this area, what would you choose? What shaft, what head, what grip? Basically your perfect match regardless of brand. I hear mizuno has some good options on lighter heads?

There are a few option out there. I have heard Mizzy does. As LCP mentioned, I think Ping does as well. Cally used to, although someone remarked in the thread earlier that they are not doing it anymore. Then you have some component makers like Maltby and Wishon that start with lighter head weights and have weights or weight chambers to bring head weights up. You can save weight with a lot of heads, but finding someone that does the work and takes the time to get what you need is the tricky part.

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

There are a few option out there. I have heard Mizzy does. As LCP mentioned, I think Ping does as well. Cally used to, although someone remarked in the thread earlier that they are not doing it anymore. Then you have some component makers like Maltby and Wishon that start with lighter head weights and have weights or weight chambers to bring head weights up. You can save weight with a lot of heads, but finding someone that does the work and takes the time to get what you need is the tricky part.

Mizzy has B heads that are 7 grams lighter, this includes wedges. Ping will go lighter but as someone has mentioned you had better go through the WRX department and/or specify an extra long length or an almost unattainable swing weight of something C0 otherwise Ping will try to build the clubs to their happy place tolerances. Have spoken to my local shop numerous times on both. Never heard of Cally having lighter heads before the comments on here. Maltby have no idea. Have/had an account with wishon and all of the heads are a bit lighter, about 5 grams, but nothing like what is needed.

The weight issue is really in the PW - LW's. Porting these clubs really helps and I think the easiest way to get some weight out of the clubs.

Jimberely,

Love your comments as I can totally relate to both sports!! I actually taught skiing for two seasons in college and worked in a ski shop for close to 4 years after that. Also have competed in numerous triathlons, all the way up to the half ironman distance(5 hours 43 minutes being my best time). Currently still have two tri-bikes, a road bike and a mountain bike, and only one of those I consider a good fit! Your comments ring so true in both sports. (I get to CO pretty often as my son goes to DU, have a sister-in-law in Idaho Springs, and usually go skiing at least twice a year)

Don't be afraid to go longer, it's the missing shaft length that is hindering you. Even swing weight is relative, D2 in a 38" PW feels way too light to me. D7-ish feels much better! Have been looking into an MOI machine more and more the further I get into this!

Cool, let me know when you're going to be in Colorado next, I'm in Boulder and it would be fun to meet up for an adult beverage and bounce some ideas/theories around! Direct: [email protected]

I'll mess around tonight with some old wedges at 38.5" or so and see what happens, might be able to play on Thursday before our next storm hits. Saving up for a frequency analyzer now (even though I think they are of fairly limited value) and looking into an MOI machine. Too many toys that I "need" to get...

Mizzy has B heads that are 7 grams lighter, this includes wedges. Ping will go lighter but as someone has mentioned you had better go through the WRX department and/or specify an extra long length or an almost unattainable swing weight of something C0 otherwise Ping will try to build the clubs to their happy place tolerances. Have spoken to my local shop numerous times on both. Never heard of Cally having lighter heads before the comments on here. Maltby have no idea. Have/had an account with wishon and all of the heads are a bit lighter, about 5 grams, but nothing like what is needed.

The weight issue is really in the PW - LW's. Porting these clubs really helps and I think the easiest way to get some weight out of the clubs.

My RAZR MBs are "L" stamped. Have some "H" stamped wedges from the JAWS wedge days. Not sure when they started or when they stopped, just know they were doing it at some point.

Good thing about places like Wishon is that you can give them a call and make a request for lighter heads if they have them. Almost give you a tour van type treatment.

Spider Tour X3

Jimberely,

Cool, let me know when you're going to be in Colorado next, I'm in Boulder and it would be fun to meet up for an adult beverage and bounce some ideas/theories around! Direct: [email protected]

I'll mess around tonight with some old wedges at 38.5" or so and see what happens, might be able to play on Thursday before our next storm hits. Saving up for a frequency analyzer now (even though I think they are of fairly limited value) and looking into an MOI machine. Too many toys that I "need" to get...

Will definitely look you up next time I'm out.