2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos Γ—

Chambers Bay Golf Course

oregongolf

Has anyone played it yet?
Ok, Chambers has been open for a little short of two weeks now. Has anyone had a chance to play it yet?

I'm definitely salivating over the promo pictures I keep seeing.

If anyone has played it, care to share about your experience? Any pictures? I'm looking at playing it three of four times in August and I'm seriously anxious!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played it a few weeks before it opened. It really is that good. Some really spectacular holes out there. It should play like a real links course once it matures a little bit. I would go check it out asap if you can. It actually DOES live up to the hype.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Wonderful golf course, but not as windy as it advertised, the Puget Sound would have breathe and gust to maybe 10-15 miles on several holes but mostly not as Pebble or Bandon.

Β 

Don't try for the back tee ( the very back tee 7,500 yards was closed for public playing ), middle tee plays 6500-6600 yards. The green tees will play around 6900-7,000, don't try this unless you could drive over 270 consistantly in the direction intended.

Β 

Try not to get into the "waste area" which were make up of soft sandy soil, full of 3-5 inches deep foot prints from all the golfers found their tee shots there. It's almost impossible to advance the golf ball in one of these craters. If you're not careful, you'll be surprised of the strokes over par one would get on these holes bordering the waste land.

Β 

Senery is ecstatically beautiful, staffs were wonderfully helpful, 2 other things comes to mind, one is the green speed is extremely slow, we guessed a 4.5 - 6 at most. many puts were left inches short.

last was the extra 5 % entertainment tax the city put on top of the 9% sales tax, paying 14%-15% tax is not a very good motivation for returning trip.

Β 

We enjoyed the round and the replay round in the P.M. for 40% of the morning round fee.

Β 

If you're not getting a caddy, do get the yardage book for $5.00, it'll help tremendously.

I sure hope it's a great course because it cost $20,000,000 to build. The government authority that owns it calculates that they need 34,000 rounds a year for 20 years to pay off the construction bonds!!!!! That's close to 100 players a day for 20 years!!!

Β 

That's pretty tough because of:

Β 

(1) The weather---4 months when the high temp is in the 40s.

(2) The walking only policy they want---no cart revenue.

(3) The $100-$150 green fees.

Β 

I couldn't figure out how Kemper Sports got the management contract---until I saw the cost/bond numbers----WOW!

Β 

The course could do that kind of business---but it better be something which continues to get super ratings and hype for 20 years.

Β 

Good luck!

Β 

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

From downtown Seattle is a GOOD 45-50 MINUTES DRIVE. If traffic is light around Tacoma, it could be faster.

Β 

Get plenty of time to spare becaue from the club house check in. you'll be on a shuttle bus to the first tee. I would check in at least 1 hour before tee time to take advantage of the free range practice balls on grass tees, and get used to the slower green speed on the putting surface.

Wonderful golf course, but not as windy as it advertised, the Puget Sound would have breathe and gust to maybe 10-15 miles on several holes but mostly not as Pebble or Bandon.

Β 

Don't try for the back tee ( the very back tee 7,500 yards was closed for public playing ), middle tee plays 6500-6600 yards. The green tees will play around 6900-7,000, don't try this unless you could drive over 270 consistantly in the direction intended.

Β 

Try not to get into the "waste area" which were make up of soft sandy soil, full of 3-5 inches deep foot prints from all the golfers found their tee shots there. It's almost impossible to advance the golf ball in one of these craters. If you're not careful, you'll be surprised of the strokes over par one would get on these holes bordering the waste land.

Β 

Senery is ecstatically beautiful, staffs were wonderfully helpful, 2 other things comes to mind, one is the green speed is extremely slow, we guessed a 4.5 - 6 at most. many puts were left inches short.

last was the extra 5 % entertainment tax the city put on top of the 9% sales tax, paying 14%-15% tax is not a very good motivation for returning trip.

Β 

We enjoyed the round and the replay round in the P.M. for 40% of the morning round fee.

Β 

If you're not getting a caddy, do get the yardage book for $5.00, it'll help tremendously.

Β 

i'm drooling, literally.

Β 

i hear it's maturing faster day by day.

Β 

i imagine the greens will be rolling faster by the end of june as we'll have a lot nicer weather in the pac nw. did you take a caddy at all? i don't plan on taking one and i almost always buy a yardage book if they have one available anyway.

Β 

i can't see how they'd have a real difficult time paying off the course over time. averaging 100 people a day isn't nearly as difficult as it sounds, especially for a real solid track.

Β 

do you have any pictures?

No, non of us had a caddy, simply because with the expected tips it'll be $50 or more, ($35 + tips ), we had used that for the replay in the afternoon ( $55 + tax = $62 ).

Β 

One of us had a yardage book and that helped a lot as this course had done a great job of optical illusions . Yardage book helped us to determine at which point to aim or place or tee shot ( e.g. #12 "the Narrow", is not drivable for most of golfers, but could place a tee shot over the Right corner, 230 up hill to the open , then it's a chip to the LONG and DEEP green ), the day we played they were on the front, middle, back pin placement ( #1=front pin, #2=middle,#3=back pin.... ), so #12 pin was all the way in the back, the green was so deep, I was literally walking onto the green thinking that I was on the frange, until one of the on course helper advised me. They have "on couse advisors " kindly help you to tend the pin, walk with you, move your cart should you be falling behind your schedule in the back 9, never rush to give you warnings of keeping the pace.

Β 

If you have a tee time early in the morning, expect 4 - 4 1/2 hours round, in the afternoon in the heat of the Summer, be expecting a 5 - 5 1/2 hours round.

Β 

As we were paying for the afternoon replay round after lunch ( nice food at the restaurant, $8 - $ 16 per dish ) We heard the Pro telling many callers the tee times were all booked for the next several days.

Β 

Plan ahead if you wish to play, you could always cancel 36 hours ahead without penalty. I don't think they'll have problem filling the last minute vacant tee time. Cold drinks are $3 - $5, they did not ask for tips but with all the friendly staffs, you may elect to bring some $dollar bills for tips.

Β 

One of my buddy had taken several photo, but as now, he had not email me a copy yet, will post it if you're interested. The view is as they had posted on the web,

http://www.chambersbaygolf.com, in person the golf course is more intimidating for the first timer.

Β 

One thing I noticed, if you have a game between 170 - 230 yards, that would help you alot on the approach on so many long par 4's.

Β 

Like they say, if played from the very tips ( 7,500 + ), this course would be too tough even for the U.S. open standard. I had never played the Bethpage Black, so I could not compare at this time.

Β 

Although I don't believe they'll let anyone to play from the tip, there were no back tee set up yesterday.

I am drooling over running out there as well but I heard they are currently booked 30 days out in advance!

Β 

I did not look up weekends, but there were plenty of times about two weeks out......I plan on doing a two round day because of the cost factor since I don't live in "their" county.

Β 

I just read the added taxes for "their" county also....great ;) Maybe I will have to wait till the off season now :friends:

No, non of us had a caddy, simply because with the expected tips it'll be $50 or more, ($35 + tips ), we had used that for the replay in the afternoon ( $55 + tax = $62 ).

Β 

One of us had a yardage book and that helped a lot as this course had done a great job of optical illusions . Yardage book helped us to determine at which point to aim or place or tee shot ( e.g. #12 "the Narrow", is not drivable for most of golfers, but could place a tee shot over the Right corner, 230 up hill to the open , then it's a chip to the LONG and DEEP green ), the day we played they were on the front, middle, back pin placement ( #1=front pin, #2=middle,#3=back pin.... ), so #12 pin was all the way in the back, the green was so deep, I was literally walking onto the green thinking that I was on the frange, until one of the on course helper advised me. They have "on couse advisors " kindly help you to tend the pin, walk with you, move your cart should you be falling behind your schedule in the back 9, never rush to give you warnings of keeping the pace.

Β 

If you have a tee time early in the morning, expect 4 - 4 1/2 hours round, in the afternoon in the heat of the Summer, be expecting a 5 - 5 1/2 hours round.

Β 

As we were paying for the afternoon replay round after lunch ( nice food at the restaurant, $8 - $ 16 per dish ) We heard the Pro telling many callers the tee times were all booked for the next several days.

Β 

Plan ahead if you wish to play, you could always cancel 36 hours ahead without penalty. I don't think they'll have problem filling the last minute vacant tee time. Cold drinks are $3 - $5, they did not ask for tips but with all the friendly staffs, you may elect to bring some $dollar bills for tips.

Β 

One of my buddy had taken several photo, but as now, he had not email me a copy yet, will post it if you're interested. The view is as they had posted on the web,

http://www.chambersbaygolf.com, in person the golf course is more intimidating for the first timer.

Β 

One thing I noticed, if you have a game between 170 - 230 yards, that would help you alot on the approach on so many long par 4's.

Β 

Like they say, if played from the very tips ( 7,500 + ), this course would be too tough even for the U.S. open standard. I had never played the Bethpage Black, so I could not compare at this time.

Β 

Although I don't believe they'll let anyone to play from the tip, there wer no back tee set up yesterday.

thanks man, very information.

Β 

i'm sure i speak for all of us when i say we'd love to see the pics. i don't anticipate it to be on par with bandon, because frankly not much is, but i'm excited nonetheless.

Β 

i couldn't imagine much more than 7000 yards out there. i wonder what tees ryan moore played from when he was there a couple months before it opened? i'm not too terribly long to begin with, but i can swallow 6600 fairly easily without much wind. here's to hoping ;)

Β 

it sounds first-rate man. thanks again.

I have yet to play Chambers Bay yet, but my best buddy will be playing it July 5th.

Β 

My buddy and I did however get the 7:14 tee time on the opening day June 29 at The Home Course.

Β 

Shot 39 - 42 for a 81 from the 6671 (back) tees for the first time.

Β 

I hope the they can keep those greens smooth like they had them on opening day! Wow, talk about smooth and true greens). Many blind tee shots to very open landing areas only known after playing once time.

Β 

I encourage everyone to get out there and play the WSGA/PNGA home.

Β 

I am going to try and play twilight and join the mens club on Thrusday.

Titleist TS2 9.5*, EvenFlow T1100 White 65X
Ping Crossover G 18*, Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 3-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 50*07, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 54*12, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Mizuno S18 Gun Metal 58*8, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Titleist Studio Design 1.5 Custom Shop
Snell MTB Black

can't up load most of the photos, because of the limitation of 2 mb.

Β 

For those that intend to play the Chambers Bay, ther is another great new golf course to try.

Β 

http://www.whitehorsegolf.com

Β 

It's on the other side of the Puget Sound, has to take a ferry ride from the Edmonds-Kinston North of Seattle, however, if you have a tee time, the golf course will send shuttle to the Kingston Ferry dock for pick up and send you back after your play.

Not really walkable to enjoy this course, but grenfees are much more reasonable, we paid under a bill for 2 rounds w/ cart during weekdays. Fantastic deal for what you get if you plan a whole day to play a couple of rounds.

We played from the Sand tee, ( which is middle).

They have a 5 years project to build a new club house and an Amphatheater and parking down towards the water, I'm guessing the green fees are going up if they have half of the tee times filled year round.

Not a very clear photo, but we were busy sucking in the golf course. Thx for the upload tip.

Oh, FYI there were only 2 spots with restrooms on the golf course besides the club house / restaurants on top, one is close to the starter / caddy shack / snack bar,

one is the round about mid-point between the holes ( the best looking restroom of the mid-points ).

But only 2 trees and some bushes on the golf course itself. Emergency relieve is not likely without major embarrasement.

Β 

According to the Inside Golf Newspaper both Ryan Moore and Michael Putnam played from the Tournament championship tee at 7,500 yards + / -. Ryan shot 72 and Michael shot 71, on different days of play. Both like it a lot.

• 4 months later...

For those that play in the bitter Winter days, in the cold and windy sometimes rainy conditions, here is the new Winter rate for Chambers Bay.
Chambers Bay is happy to announce the introduction of our Winter Rates. Experience the driest course in Washington. Put away your mudders and enjoy the firm, fast conditions of Pure Links Golf. We are currently accepting Tee Times Online or by phone at 253.460.GOLF up to 30 days in advance.

December 01 – February 29, 2008 (Includes sales tax)

2007 Winter
Monday - Sunday

Guest Rate
$75

Pierce County Resident
$55

Replay*
$35

For advance group packages of 16 or more players, please complete our Group Outings and Events Request Form .

Looking for a 4th for tomorrow morning at 9:10! Weather should be VERY nice, just a bit cold.

PM me if you're interested.

;)

Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Moonlite bag:
Ping G425Β LSTΒ 9* X 65g Tensei Orange
TaylorMade Sim2 15* X 70g Tensei AV Raw Blue
Ping G410 Hybrid 19* X 80g Tensei Blue
Ping iBlades red dot 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey RawΒ SM7 54MΒ 1* flat ProjectX 6.0

Titleist Vokey Raw SM4 TVD 60M 1* flatΒ Tour Issue DG S400
TaylorMade TP Maranello 8-02 β€œRossa” 34.5” w/black IomicX

[quote name='Crosier' post='807276' date='Nov 29 2007, 08:07 PM']Looking for a 4th for tomorrow morning at 9:10! Weather should be VERY nice, just a bit cold.

PM me if you're interested.

;)[/quote]

Too cold and probably frost delay til maybe 11 A.M.ish according to the weather report for tomorrow and snow this weekend.
Actually, I've injured my right foot and had to drive around yesterday and today wearing sandal on my right foot, cause it won't fit into my shoe anymore. Wife wanted me to see a podiatrist but I'm going to wait it out.
Probably no golf for a little while. Hopefully not too long.
I'll hook up with you guys probably in the Spring, unless my foot gets better soon.
Please PM when you have the next outing scheduled? If we live close by or on the way, car pooling is OK with me.

Just looked at the satellite image for the area, it might have light rain and SNOW this morning?
Hope you guys had a good round, it's almost like playing in the weather in Scotland Coastal area.

The round was INCREDIBLE! It ended up being just me and my buddy and we were the only ones on the course until the 4th hole. To have a course of that caliber all to yourself is just silly. The weather was perfect. The breeze didn't pick up until the last 4 holes along the water really and it was never uncomfortably cold. I never had to use my winter gloves and just kept my windshirt on over a long sleeved Nike golf shirt on all day.

The course is in amazing condition obviously. Better than when I played it just 2 months ago! Tons of roll, totally dry, not a puddle or soft spot to be found ANYWHERE. Best $75 you'll spend all winter long, I can tell you that much!

We both shot 75's from the sand tees. Just too cold, not enough carry, to play from the tips, and the course rating is still over par. You can't post right now anyways, and it was really a fun round to be able to not worry about so many carries. I didn't have a damn birdie until the 15th hole and then I birdied 17 and 18 also to tie with my buddy who went bogey-par-bogey to finish...that's what he gets for talking $h!t, he had my number all day, so it was pretty satisfying to come back with a strong finish and at least tie him.

See all of you sometime soon out there!

;)

Proud Walking Golfer
What's in my Ping Moonlite bag:
Ping G425Β LSTΒ 9* X 65g Tensei Orange
TaylorMade Sim2 15* X 70g Tensei AV Raw Blue
Ping G410 Hybrid 19* X 80g Tensei Blue
Ping iBlades red dot 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Titleist Vokey RawΒ SM7 54MΒ 1* flat ProjectX 6.0

Titleist Vokey Raw SM4 TVD 60M 1* flatΒ Tour Issue DG S400
TaylorMade TP Maranello 8-02 β€œRossa” 34.5” w/black IomicX

[quote name='Crosier' post='809087' date='Dec 1 2007, 02:45 PM']The round was INCREDIBLE! It ended up being just me and my buddy and we were the only ones on the course until the 4th hole. To have a course of that caliber all to yourself is just silly. The weather was perfect. The breeze didn't pick up until the last 4 holes along the water really and it was never uncomfortably cold. I never had to use my winter gloves and just kept my windshirt on over a long sleeved Nike golf shirt on all day.

The course is in amazing condition obviously. Better than when I played it just 2 months ago! Tons of roll, totally dry, not a puddle or soft spot to be found ANYWHERE. Best $75 you'll spend all winter long, I can tell you that much!

We both shot 75's from the sand tees. Just too cold, not enough carry, to play from the tips, and the course rating is still over par. You can't post right now anyways, and it was really a fun round to be able to not worry about so many carries. I didn't have a damn birdie until the 15th hole and then I birdied 17 and 18 also to tie with my buddy who went bogey-par-bogey to finish...that's what he gets for talking $h!t, he had my number all day, so it was pretty satisfying to come back with a strong finish and at least tie him.

See all of you sometime soon out there!

;)[/quote]

Nice round, both of you, I saw the snow hung around the Bremerton area yesterday and we had 2" of snow in my back yard this morning ( melting now).
Surprised that the weather was not an issue, I had played in the wind, in the rain, in the light snow, in the wind and the rain, just could not handle all of them at once now. Give me back 20 years and I'll be there limping with my bad foot.
Great score anytime at that course.
Now you had me itching to go out there sooner than I planned.
BTW, My friend told me that there are discount card to be had at Costco ($100 for the face value of $150 ) , could be applied at the Chambers Bay according to him.
I'm going to check it out this afternoon.

• 4 weeks later...

I played my first and only round (so far) on December 8th 2007. It was clear and bitterly cold, the course had recovered from a few days rain very nicely, no soggy patches to be found and the greens and fairways were rock hard.

I can say this is the best course I've ever played and no I haven't played many good ones, but all the same it's a fantastic test. Sand is a major factor on this course and can easily put you into triple and quadruple bogey range. Really have to plan your way around the course with sand as you're number one priority to avoid. Something I'm not used to.

The views are of course fantastic, the elevation changes make for exciting play, (except for the uphill ones, those are brutal).

Prior to playing I had attended the Skins game with Bubba, Moore, Baddeley and Putnam, and as I was walking around following these pros I knew this course was something special and definitely a must-play.

I'll be coming back that's for sure.

Some warnings to players planning on trying it out.

-Practice your long sand shots.
-Make sure you can walk a VERY hilly 18 holes. (I walk every round and this one kicked my butt!)
-Be prepared to tip. (They have bag boys that seek you out in the parking lot, even if you try to avoid them)

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably the most fun golf course I have ever played. Not the hardest, not the best test, not the best design, but far and away the most fun and overall a great course. I had a grin on my face from the top of the bluff overlooking the course till I walked off 18. It is beautiful with views of the sound, islands and Olympic mts. I played it June 30th '07 which was the 2nd weekend it was open. The greens were slow but consistant (i've heard they are faster now). The holes are well designed and allow for several different ways to attack each hole. If you like Robert Trent Jones courses you will love this one. On a wind less day i shot 37 out, 33 in, from the navy tees @ 7109yds. Many of the holes play down hill so the tips at 7585 would be manageable if you can get 275 off the tee and the wind is down. If I had to be critical I would say that the course plays a bit easier than it looks like it should (is that a flaw??) especially for a course with US Open buzz. There were several mediocre approach shots I hit that ended up bounding off a countour leaving a 12 foot birdie putt. I've been lucky enough to play several US Open venues and they all were much more punishing of mediocre shots. Thats really the only criticism I can muster. Play it and I hope you have the same grin as I did. ;)

[b]Callaway[/b] 10.5 815 DBD, Diamana W series 70X
[b]Taylormade [/b]'16 M1 3 wood, Diamana D+ X
[b]Titleist[/b] 910 19* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Adams[/b] 9031 23* Hybrid, Diamana D+ S
[b]Srixon[/b] z765 5-pw, Modus 3 120 X
[b]Mizuno[/b] MP-T5 50*, TT DG S300
[b]Vokey[/b] SM6 55* & 60*, TT DG S200

[quote name='ThreePuttPar' post='876094' date='Jan 21 2008, 10:24 PM']This is probably the most fun golf course I have ever played. Not the hardest, not the best test, not the best design, but far and away the most fun and overall a great course. I had a grin on my face from the top of the bluff overlooking the course till I walked off 18. It is beautiful with views of the sound, islands and Olympic mts. I played it June 30th '07 which was the 2nd weekend it was open. The greens were slow but consistant (i've heard they are faster now). The holes are well designed and allow for several different ways to attack each hole. If you like Robert Trent Jones courses you will love this one. On a wind less day i shot 37 out, 33 in, from the navy tees @ 7109yds. Many of the holes play down hill so the tips at 7585 would be manageable if you can get 275 off the tee and the wind is down. If I had to be critical I would say that the course plays a bit easier than it looks like it should (is that a flaw??) especially for a course with US Open buzz. There were several mediocre approach shots I hit that ended up bounding off a countour leaving a 12 foot birdie putt. I've been lucky enough to play several US Open venues and they all were much more punishing of mediocre shots. Thats really the only criticism I can muster. Play it and I hope you have the same grin as I did. ;)[/quote]
Nice review man. I'm glad you mentioned it was the most fun... I'll drag my dad out and know he'll have a good time.

You're a stick :cheesy: Nice round!

I'm counting on getting up there soon. Play a couple rounds then get over to Gold Mountain.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just back from Chambers yesterday, and this track lives up to the hype. The layout is fantastic, with some great views! The customer service was excellent from the shuttle driver, to the starter and fore caddie. Here's a little advice I can pass along. If your from out of the area, stay at the Hotel Murano. They get a discount rate, plus each golfer gets a $40 gift card for anything at the course, including food & cocktails. Wear your most comfortable pair of shoes. We played 36, and my dogs were bark'in pretty hard on the last nine. For at least your first round, take a fore caddie. For $10 a person, Mike raked the traps, gave us great lines off the tees, and took our bags to the correct side of the greens when we were all on to putt. With a lot of elevation changes, this will be a great place to watch the Amateur in 2010 and the Open in 2015. The ninth hole is a 230 yard par 3, that plays way over a hundred feet downhill, with a nice area around the tee to watch. About the only negative is like everyone else mentioned, is the greens. They were running an 8 on the stimp, and it was hard getting used to pounding a 15 footer up a mild hill. I believe that some of the greens will have to be re-done before the Amateur. Theres some holes where if the greens were running a 12, or 13, you would not be able to keep a ball on the putting surface. Other that the greens, I highly recommend playing here.

PXG Gen2 10.5 Ventus 6S
Epic 3 wood 15 degree Hzurdus S
Mizzy CLK hybrid
Mizzy JPX 919 forged
Miura 55 & 59 degree
Evnroll ER6