2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Why do so few tour players play 4 wedges?

bma725,

Yes, I agree that three wedges is a big improvement over two wedges. However, just because three is better than two does not mean that four is better than three. I won't argue that four wedges is not the best setup for at least a percentage of the golfing population. But you will have a hard time convincing me that four wedges is the way EVERYONE should go.

I still say experiment and find out what works best for you. Three wedges work great for me.....Claus likes four wedges. Neither one of is right or wrong....

Scott

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pelz research has been around since the early 90's. If the majority of pros, both on the regular tour and Champions tour, haven't gravitated toward 4 wedges by now, it ain't gonna happen. Very few instructors of top juniors advocate the 4 wedge theory, so there's not much room for growth from that segment either, in spite of what research shows. However, check the bags of most guys at the US Mid-Am or US Senior Am (including Mike Bell, the current champion) and you'll find 4 wedges in a lot of them.

I just switched,(winter) to two wedges from three. this is the best move I ever made. K.I.S.S. Have been able to get balls much closer to the pin by focusing on two wedges (52 and 58) than trying to figure out three lofts, three bounce angles and how much each are going to roll anc check....etc.etc....Did Jack have 3-4 wedges or Tom????? I know technology is a great thing but sometimes we can complicate the situation way to much....if you can set a 58 close, then you can do the same with 56, 60 or 62. It's all about the up and down and if 2-4 degrees kills ya????, ............spend more time on the chipping green. This is just my opinion....

Pelz research has been around since the early 90's. If the majority of pros, both on the regular tour and Champions tour, haven't gravitated toward 4 wedges by now, it ain't gonna happen. Very few instructors of top juniors advocate the 4 wedge theory, so there's not much room for growth from that segment either, in spite of what research shows. However, check the bags of most guys at the US Mid-Am or US Senior Am (including Mike Bell, the current champion) and you'll find 4 wedges in a lot of them.

Pelz started doing his research full time in 1975. It took him until 1983 to get 1 player to put a lob wedge in the bag. It wasn't until the mid or even late 1990s that the lob wedge was in the majority of players bags. It takes literally decades to effect change on the bags of pros. The 4 wedge system was first advocated in the Short Game Bible book, which came out in early 1999. It hasn't even been a full decade yet, and it generally takes much longer to see change on tour.

And FWIW instructors don't mean a whole lot in this debate, having really missed the boat to begin with. When Pelz first started pushing the lob wedge, he was pretty much the only one, nearly all other instructors were completely against it. They were multiple articles in Golf Magazine and Golf Digest about how players should avoid the lob wedge because it was too hard to hit. Despite this, lob wedges are now the norm. When Pelz started pushing for a gap wedge, there were instructors who said it was a mistake to add it to the bag, and you were better off learning how to hit 3/4 shots with your PW because it would help your full swing more. Yet more and more players are adding gap wedges each day. The point is, instructors as a group are generally behind the times when it comes to these type of things and don't start advocating for change until well after the public has already started to do so.

My last set, before it was stolen, was 44 9I, 48 PW, 52 SW, 56, 60. My new set is 41 9I, 46 PW, 51 Gap, 56, 60. My new PW is halfway between my old 9I and PW.

If I was a touring pro and had clubs custom made for me, I might get an extra strong 9I, maybe 45-46 with adjustments down the line for the other clubs. In effect, my 9I is really closer to a pitching wedge, so even though I have 3 other clubs with wedge printed on the back, I would have 4 wedges for all practical purposes.

*chop*

Personally I think the Pelz system is a great crutch that helps simplify the game and take the guesswork out of 100 yards in. But it also takes away a lot of the creativity side of the game ...

Where does the misconception come from that Pelz takes away creativity? If you open his Bible, one of the first few chapters creativity and feel are his "building blocks" to the short game.

I don't know where that comes from but uh.....it's just not true.

-mini

*chop*

Personally I think the Pelz system is a great crutch that helps simplify the game and take the guesswork out of 100 yards in. But it also takes away a lot of the creativity side of the game ...

Where does the misconception come from that Pelz takes away creativity? If you open his Bible, one of the first few chapters creativity and feel are his "building blocks" to the short game.

I don't know where that comes from but uh.....it's just not true.

-mini

Agreed. I find I can get more creative since I dont need to guess at yardages I know exactly which swing on which club goes how far.

More importantly, isnt taking the guesswork out of any part of your game a good thing?

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

People have been saying they play less wedges to make it simple or take the guesswork out of wedge play. I think having that extra wedge does just that. I am not caught inbetween yardages with four wedges as ofter therefore no guessing with half and quarter swings. It requires less touch and guesswork.

No doubt I'd probably drop a shot over the long term with a 64* X wedge...I just can't convince myself of that. Hell, I still stick a 2 and 3 iron in the bag at times.

-mini

So many variables. The pro's that use three wedges are not only far more skilled with the wedges they are also far more skilled in selecting and then precisely laying up to the distance from the green at which the wedge will be hit. I'm not that good. I might try for 105 but end up 115 or 90. With four wedges I've got each of those distances covered adequately down to 60 and up to 130 with no significant gaps. Another advantage of varrying both the 56 & 60 is the flexibility that comes from having a mid to high bounce on the 56 and very low bounce on the 60. Really improves flexibility if sand quality is inconsistent or wet from rain or chipping/pitching areas vary from light rough to almost hardpan.

In my opinion there are probably some rough guidelines regarding the number of wedges. Not saying what follows is right, but it is a starting point. Anyone who hits the PW 125 or more and has a handicap over 12 might want to carry 4 wedges. If PW goes 115 or less, three wedges is probably enough. If handicap is under 8-10, three or four wedges is probably a toss up. Under 4 handicap, three is probably advantageous.

On the other hand, if the short game is the real problem area, 4 is probably a good starting point. If the problem is length, 3 wedges probably enables better flexibility in the problem area.

Bottom line there is no "right" answer.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

In the Short Game Bible, Pelz advocates a 64 degree x-lob wedge for the fourth wedge - not a 52 degree gap wedge. Gap wedges are only neccessary on these sets with strong lofts.

Can a 45 or 46 degree club that matches your irons really be considered a wedge anyways?

I used to play 47-52-56-60 but switched to 48-54-60 and am happy. I use both the 54 and 60 out bunkers. I can open up the 60 if neccessary.

Like others have pointed out, course management involves not leaving yourself with those tricky in-between yardages anyways.

Hi all, I recently did a bit of research on GD's WITB and TGC WITB and was surprised at the fact that almost no tour players have 4 wedges in their bags. Also, the guys that did still had a hybrid at the top of their bag. Is there a reason for this? I always thought that wedge play was the most important, and saving shots was vital, hence 4 wedges in my bag. Now I am second guessing my choice, and will look into something in between my 3 wood and 3 iron, at the sacrifice of a wedge. Your thoughts?

If you're a 1.1, I don't think I'd change a thing. You're going to save more shots with an extra wedge than you will with a 5 wood, or a 2 iron. If you're concerned about yardages between your 3 wood and 3 iron, I'd look at strengthening the lofts of your lower numbered irons before taking out that fourth wedge.

I have done it both ways.

With four wedges I had a lot more full swings, stock shots, and less "cute" shots.

With three wedges you have to have the 1/2 and 3/4 "cute" shots.

Since I like to work trajectory and hit 1/2 shots I switched back to 3 wedges. Its less confusing. I think I may have been better with 4 wedges but I am having more fun with 3! I just love that 1/2 swing knockdown with a 54 that takes two hops and stops. The frequency of its occurance is the problem.

I play 3 wedges.

47°, 52° and 58° to 120-125yds, 105-110yds and 80-90yds respectively.

I tried the 4 wedge set up and for me it's just not beneficial.

I can hit 3/4 shots consistantly with all 3 which covers my yardages gaps and takes out the indecision of too many wedges.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

if you gave someone like ernie els one wedge, and you had ten, els would still be light years better than you. Even if you think about someone at your club with an amazing short game, give him a couple of wedges and you can have four, he's still going to pi** all over your fire.. my point is there is so much skill involved in a good short game gained through years of practice that how many wedges you have is of miniscule importance compared to the skill level. Stan Utley for one recommends using one wedge for the majority of your shots around the green, this increases your creativity, feel and imagination.. he carries a 52, 58 setup.. and his regular PW, but uses the 58 for most of his work around the greens. I too have debated long and hard about a four wedge system, but reality bites when I miss a green and follow up with a delicate fat shank into a waiting bunker.. would an extra wedge really have helped.. or should i just work on hitting the wedges I already have better.. I had a 52 56 60 setup at one point and it got really annoying because you would be faced with a 20 yard pitch and would have to decide between 3 clubs.. much better IMOP to have something like 52 58 or 54 60 because its more of a no-brainer, high or low, grab the club and hit...

I never understood the 4 wedges thing.. i have a 54 and 58 and the distance gaps are tight enough... the rare time I am betwen yardage I can easily take more club and shorten the swing a little.

This is prolly because when I farted around the par 3's and soccer fields when I was younger all I had was an 8 iron, pw and a putter.... The sand wedge was confusing enough for me haha

I appreciate all of the different perspectives expressed in this thread. I still think that the major decision points are centered around a couple of factors.

1. How wide is the gap between each wedge? The gap can be insignificant for those who have average distance but for those who are at the higher extremes of distance, the gap becomes large enough that it can only be offset by high skill levels on partial shots and by the ability to lay up to optimum distances from the green. If those skills aren't optimum, a tighter gap between wedges may be very beneficial.

2. Flexibility on the course of having a low bounce 60 and a higher bounce 56 or 54 seems to be very advantageous to almost anyone other than the very highly skilled player who can more precisely manipulate effective bounce by opening the club face.

3. The 52 gap wedge enables me to have very high spin shots into the green from 110 up to 120 which I just find so advantageous.

I definitely have learned not to try and hit wedges harder than optimum to close a gap, which means that I have to use the PW to cover 130 to 110 which is 60 feet and I just can't consistently minimize by first putt distance with that size of a gap to cover with one club. I wish I could.

You guys do have me thinking to once again give three wedges a try. It just hasn't worked optimally for me in the past. Never hurts to try though.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I am a 4 wedge guy (Ping i5 P, U, iWedge 54 and 58)

Or am I????

P = 46* which could be considered a light 9 iron....U=50*, Light PW...you get my point.

This is my deal too. its not that I am playing 4 wedges, it is that some marketing guy at every club manufacturer decided to take a 9 iron and draw a p on it and sell it as a pitching wedge. I found an older pitching wedge (50*) to use as a gap wedge and extended my irons.

Now I play "4 wedges" but I rarely take a half swing on the MP-32 P (because its really a 9 iron)

MP-32 P, 46*, bent down from 47*

MP-14 P, 50*

MP-14 S, 54*, bent down from 56*

MP-T L, 58*

I have found one swing I can do consistently that makes the 50* go 100. The same swing makes the 54* go 75 and the 58* go 50. I just open the face (it doesnt take much, 5-10* open) to get different distances or adjust for wind conditions.

• 4 weeks later...