Vacation in Hawaii....Advice?

UnderPar18

Hello - I am trying to plan a Honeymoon in Hawaii for late September/Early October. Can anyone suggest things to do and places to stay? I believe we will visit Oahu first and then go to Maui.

I would mainly want to stay on a beach, but maybe not if the hotel/resort is nice. I will probably only play one round of golf.

Thanks in advance!

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife's best friend lives in Honolulu been out there multiple times in the last few years, and did our honeymoon on Oahu this year. Here are my thoughts and I will preface this by saying we much prefer low key vs touristy spots. We also go in Sept/October because flights are cheap for us. We are going to do Maui next year but will just AIRBNB it with our friends from Honolulu since they know the island well.

Waikiki, super busy and crowded but the heart of it all. Tons of beachfront resorts to choose from. Not my favorite spot to stay/visit because of this.

Ko'olina a bit between Waikiki and North shore looks like a nice resort but kinda a pita to get anywhere else

Turtle Bay Vista level rooms (top floor of the resort) absolutely fantastic and worth it. If not feasable money wise the Premier ocean view king is another really good room. You are up in the North Shore near all the famous surf beaches Pipeline, Sunset, Wiamea Bay. About an 45-60 min drive from the airport (30-40 miles) Also probably the best course on the island with the Palmer Course.

Great beaches and trails around the resort. You can literally walk .5-1 mile and have an entire beach to yourself. Decent enough food Pa'akai and Roys for upper end, Lei.Leis and a couple other spots for more casual fare. Haleiwa is a cool little town. Kawela Bay about a mile walk from the resort is a fantastic place to swim or paddleboard We pulled up a spot mid bay and were the only people around.

Noteable places to visit on Oahu

Pearl Harbor.

Kailua state beach and Lanikai Beach. Lanikai beach is the best beach I have ever been to

South end of the Island, Diamond head, Sandy Beach park. Makapuu lighthouse. ahh there is so much I left out

Actually OP shoot me a PM with your email I had put a detailed list of things to do together for my folks who are going in May. I also have some good tips to save money on bookings especially at Turtle Bay

Here is a few pics from Oahu

View from our room at Turtle Bay

Cx4kjjxUAAI2Y4g.jpg

CvUpNMOUAAU64bV.jpg

Sunset Dinner at Paakai at Turtle Bay

CvGk-UlWgAAgrSC.jpg

Our favorite spot to hang out at Turtle bay and enjoy a drink. The pool bar is right behind us

CvGBQ0pUAAECv5e.jpg

Kawela bay a short walk from Turtle Bay Hotel

CvPxk_tVYAAnRK6.jpg

Waimea Bay on a calm surf day

CvO9fGTUkAAQ9Uc.jpg

Pillbox hike above Lanikai beach

CwduZ2bUcAAKf46.jpg

Lanikai Beach from the beach

Cu_7DZXVIAAmLQd.jpg

Kailua Beach

Cu2a3EJVUAE0L82.jpg

View above Pipleline

CvRAVDnUsAAAoHw.jpg

Cant forget Laniakea Beach on the way up to Turtle Bay for sea turtle watching

CjMYD6xUUAIwu1a.jpg

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Wife and I were just in Hawaii a couple months ago. Same as you mentioned, Oahu & Maui. We stayed in Waikiki because it was just convenient for doing the types of sightseeing things we wanted to do. For the days we wanted to explore the island, we just rented a car for that day. We stayed at the Marriott in Waikiki, not necessarily because it was fantastic or anything, but I had a lot of Marriott points to spend.

As for Maui, it was our 2nd time staying there - we went for our honeymoon a few years back - and stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali. It's a bit more touristy, but again, it was convenient for what we wanted to do, close to food options and shops, plus I also have Hyatt status, so we got a free suite upgrade. Maui has a ton of great things to do - Road to Hana, some trails in the Kapalua area, snorkeling, etc. Just a great place to be. We also played the Kaanapali Kai course (couldn't get on the Royal at the times we wanted) and really enjoyed it (we're more of the weekend duffer type of golfers) - had some nice views, even for the "cheaper" course.

Just be mindful that Sept-Oct starts getting into the Fall season, while not cold, can get really windy. The tradewinds, especially on Maui, can whip up something pretty fierce.

Wife and I were just in Hawaii a couple months ago. Same as you mentioned, Oahu & Maui. We stayed in Waikiki because it was just convenient for doing the types of sightseeing things we wanted to do. For the days we wanted to explore the island, we just rented a car for that day. We stayed at the Marriott in Waikiki, not necessarily because it was fantastic or anything, but I had a lot of Marriott points to spend.

As for Maui, it was our 2nd time staying there - we went for our honeymoon a few years back - and stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Kaanapali. It's a bit more touristy, but again, it was convenient for what we wanted to do, close to food options and shops, plus I also have Hyatt status, so we got a free suite upgrade. Maui has a ton of great things to do - Road to Hana, some trails in the Kapalua area, snorkeling, etc. Just a great place to be. We also played the Kaanapali Kai course (couldn't get on the Royal at the times we wanted) and really enjoyed it (we're more of the weekend duffer type of golfers) - had some nice views, even for the "cheaper" course.

Just be mindful that Sept-Oct starts getting into the Fall season, while not cold, can get really windy. The tradewinds, especially on Maui, can whip up something pretty fierce.

Maui is a great mix of civilization and amazing, unspoiled nature. We flew into Maui and then to Kauai. If you want super chill/quiet, underdeveloped, amazing sunsets, hiking, then Kauai it great.

Sunset-at-Kee-Beach.jpg

Oh, and definitely go to a big luau where they have a pig and the fire dancers. Never forget that at our table we met 4 couples and each was from a different corner of the US. Very cool ; )

My wife and I have have gone to all the islands except Lanai. Our least favorite is Oahu. It is just too crowded. On Maui the road to Hana is a great scenic drive, snorkeling at Molokini is fun and Haleakala state park is great. The Big Island with Volcanoes National park is pretty amazing. We also liked the Hilo and Kona areas. It is a big island though and takes a lot of time to get around. On Kauai a boat trip along the Na Pali coastline is a great trip, Waimea canyon is a must to visit. We even found a couple of beaches where we were the only ones there all day. We liked staying in the Popui area. If you want really quiet and laid back Molokai is the place. We did a boat trip along the north end and saw the highest sea cliffs in the world. The captain even took us inside a cave with the boat. Truth is you can't go wrong on any island. Get yourself a couple of good guide books and find activities you like on whichever island you choose. We've liked renting condos more than staying at a resorts.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Maui is a great mix of civilization and amazing, unspoiled nature. We flew into Maui and then to Kauai. If you want super chill/quiet, underdeveloped, amazing sunsets, hiking, then Kauai it great.

Sunset-at-Kee-Beach.jpg

Oh, and definitely go to a big luau where they have a pig and the fire dancers. Never forget that at our table we met 4 couples and each was from a different corner of the US. Very cool ; )

My suite at the Hyatt this year had one of the balconies overlooking the luau. Every stinking night...fire dancers for free

Sunset-at-Kee-Beach.jpg

My suite at the Hyatt this year had one of the balconies overlooking the luau. Every stinking night...fire dancers for free

Doh! Sorry, never thought of that but good you mentioned it for the OP. Maybe a good idea to just avoid staying at hotels where they have them!

We did Maui this year right before all the hurricanes came through. My thoughts....

Airbnb or VRBO is the way to go

Ka'anapali is nice but touristy

Road to Hana is probably a must do for your 1st time but I wouldn't do it again. My wife was carsick the whole way back

Plantation course was fun! Cool to play courses you see on TV, like this week!

Our favorite area (or at least where we spent the most time due to ample beaches) was probably Wailea or Kihei. Paia was cool too...more of a hippie vibe.

Try a musubi...fried spam on rice, like sushi. So good.

Also, if you like raw tuna, go to the fish counter of any grocery store and get 1/4-1/2 lb of poke. So good and ridiculously cheap compared to other food options.

Get gas and groceries at Costco only.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Just reading this thread it's very obvious. You can't go wrong at any of the islands. It seems everyone likes a different island.

:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Ventus Blue w/ Velocore+ 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Project X Denali 70x) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (RDX Smoke 85x)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
Odyssey   Jailbird Cruiser modified to regular. 34.6" w/ SuperStroke 3.0 17"/ 5g weights

I did a week on Lanai and a week on the Big Island (Four Seasons Hualalai).

I'd go back to Lanai again in a heartbeat. But its basically the complete opposite of the high-rise beaches of Oahu - so that has to be your thing. But it was amazing, the two golf courses were world class and completely empty. And the two hotels there are gorgeous. We stayed a the Lodge at Koele which was since bought by Four Season and I think being renovated.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

Cally Rogue ST Max 3w - Ventus Blue 6s

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

A trip to Maui wouldn't be complete without a predawn trip up to Haleakala to watch the sunrise, and a drive to Hana and the Seven Sacred Pools at Ohe'o.

For the trip to Haleakala, brings the blankets from your hotel room. It gets quite cold at the crater rim. After the sun rises, you can sleep in your car for a few hours while the traffic jam back down the mountain dissipates.

For the drive to Hana, I would highly recommend renting a soft top Jeep for the day. Once you get to the Seven Pools, instead of returning back on the Hana Highway, you can continue around the south side of the island on the Piilani Highway (Rt 360 to Rt 31). When I visited the island, this route was off limits to standard rental cars, as there are a handful of rough patches of highway. We actually saw a rental car with a busted suspension along the way. The scenery along this route is literally out of this world. The Hana Highway is on the windward side of the island, and is basically rain forest with dozens of waterfalls. The Piilani Highway is on the leeward side, and is almost bone dry. You'll have the ocean cliffs along your left side, with the terrain rising sharply 10,000 feet to the rim of the volcano. I saw one vehicle on the trip, and a handful of cattle. It's an amazing (short) journey.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

My only regret was not going up to Haleakala but we just didn't have enough time.

Regarding the road to Hana, I would add that it is not as cool an experience for the driver. There is a lot of eye candy but you have to keep your eyes on the road. I really wish we had done the south side of the island as Argonne had suggested but the road was closed just past Hana on the day we went (mudslide from recent storms).

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Got married in Kauai....do not miss going to the north shore of Kauai. It is simply the most beautiful spot I have ever been. It is a must see place, do not go all the way to Hawaii with out going there. If you want golf, play Princeville. Seriously, please do not miss the north shore of Kauai.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

havve to agree w Kauai being unbelievable experience (open air helicopter ride is an absolute must)....i thought princeville was closed or has become private.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

• 2 weeks later...

If you haven't been to Oahu Waikiki is a cool place to check out. It's pretty different be be on that stretch of sand with a big city right on the other side. Feels a bit like being in a different country with all the Asian and Australian tourists. My wife and I have enjoyed staying at the Moana Surfrider. It is a historic hotel on waikiki so it isn't the biggest or newest but it is very nice.

Maui has been covered a bit already. Kaanapali is nice but touristy with lots of families. Kapalua is nice, much windier which can be nice if it's really hot.

If you are a Costco member check out the travel deals they offer. They offer deals at many hotels. We got a great deal at the Ritz in Kapalua that included a rental car and sizeable hotel credit much cheaper than anything else I found. The hotel credit was great for buying Mai Tais poolside. If you do find yourself at the Ritz in Kapalua there is a Mai Tai they make that isn't on the menu because people complained they have too much booze. Get one, they're fantastic. I think they are called a 1918 or a 1948 Mai Tai.

My wife and I did Oahu for our honeymoon a few years ago. We are not big crowd people so we decided to stay on the north shore at Turtle Bay.

From the north shore you can get to just about everything really easily.

Hanauma Bay is great snorkeling. It's like being in an aquarium. Go first thing in the morning to beat the crowds.

Polynesian Cultural Center. Do the weekend pass/full day pass. There is a lot of interesting stuff there and they have an evening show and luau. Really close to Turtle Bay too.

Sea Kayaking. Rent the kayaks from a place around Lanai, strap them to the roof of the rental car and go find the hidden island in Kaneohe Bay. Get the book Oahu Revealed. Worth every penny. Made our trip!

Eat from the food trucks, they are really good!

Check out the north shore pipeline to see some amazing surfing and just the general size of the waves! Pretty crazy.

Spend some time at Waimea Bay. They film a bunch of movies here too.

Of course go see Pearl Harbor, especially if you have any interest in American History or WWII.

I have also heard the Dole plant is a fun tour but we ran out of time and didn't get to try it out.

Turtle Bay is ok. It has everything there which is nice but it is overpriced like any resort. Has some good golfing there, and is away from the crowds which is why we went for it. It also has nice restaurants on site. My wife would typically spend the day outside of the resort, but return to get a fruity drink and sit in the hot tub at 5pm to watch the sun go down. Then we would go to dinner somewhere onsite. I think we got subway/fast food a few nights to save some dough.

RBZ Stage 2 Tour Driver Adjusted to 10.5*
RBZ Stage 2, 3 tour Hybrid Adjusted to 17*
Titleist CB712 3-PW
Titleist Vokey 56* wedge
Nike Method Core 4 Putter

I think 3 days on Oahu, and 4 days on Maui makes for a nice first trip to Hawaii. Stay on Waikiki, and visit the Polynesian CC, Pearl Harbor, Turtle Bay, Diamond Head, Waimea Valley, and Hanauma Bay. It's a very active three days, which for me is a good way to start a vacation. Your body will not have adjusted to the time change, so it's very easy to get an early start each day.

Maui is much more relaxed, and you can end your trip with a little R&R. Parasail, Scuba at Molokini Shoal, catch the sunrise at the rim of Haleakala, drive to Hana in a convertible Jeep, and continue around the island on the Piilani Highway.

My second trip to Hawaii was to the Big Island. There's enough to do there for 7 to 10 days, including a few rounds of golf, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first trip. My next visit will be to Kauai to simply relax and play golf.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Did my h'moon in Kauai & Lana'i - many moons ago...guess I was lucky. In a 10 day trip I got to play Princeville, Poipu, Koele & Manele

When we went back with our teenagers a few years ago- we just did Waikiki...and no golf :boredom:

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2