2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Overspeed Training is working!

Hondabuff

Did some quick swings on the SSR with the raw shaft and was barely hitting 130mph. Did about 30 swings until I adjusted my grip a little stronger and speeds jumped around 150mph and the swing felt familiar! Definitely got to keep swinging the raw shaft for a few days.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting and great to read the results. I jacked up my left bicep doing overspeed training after a few weeks. I am holding off on re-starting until after my golf trip next week. As much as I would like to take the extra speed on the trip, I want to make sure I stay healthy.

I'll start up again on the week of 5/15 and pay more attention to warming up.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Besides the one on their website, is there a less expensive swing speed radar that will work without having to hit a ball?

Bel Swingmate on eBay. $25-50 right now. Just as accurate as my SSR

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I've had great success so far with the Superspeed sticks. I started in February and I was around 103-107mph with my driver on the launch monitor depending on how I felt that day. On the course, I was carrying the ball about 250 yards. A good drive with roll for me was around 280 yards. As of about ten days ago I was up to 114-119mph depending on how well I'm swinging it. On the course in flat, calm conditions I'm now carrying the ball 270-280 on well struck drives, so I've hit some silly long tee shots (for me anyways) when I'm downwind or the fairway is firm.

Best of all is that I'm hitting my driver straighter than ever. I'm at 65% fairways over my past ten rounds. I was probably closer to 40-45% in the past and with less distance too. The increased speed allows me to push my choke down fairway finder drives out there in the 265-280 range after rollout. That shot has almost become automatic for me . I've gone from struggling to break 80 from any tee, to shooting mid-to-high 70s from the tips almost every time out now. And that's with almost zero short game. Low single digits or scratch seems realistic for the first time in 20 years.

I credit the super speed sticks with much of my improvement. I only play once a week, so I think just having the set routine of swinging the clubs hard 3x a week is helping to groove my swing and keep me limber.

One last thing, I spent $100 on the swing speed radar, but if I were to do it over again I wouldn't bother wasting the money. I've probably only used it during 4 of my sessions and didn't find it that useful. I also didn't really trust it since it was inflating my swing speed. It had me at 113 at the beginning of training when I knew I was swinging it around 105. I get a good idea of how fast I'm swinging it on a given day by the sound of the "whoosh!" with each stick. And really, it's all about the real life results on the course, so that's how I've been measuring my progress.

Awesome success story.

Do you have a sense of how your progress came over the four months or so you've been using the system? Did you notice big jumps at particular points in time? Or smaller, less noticeable, incremental gains that have added up to where you are now?

Are there any tips you have on aspects of your training that you think have led to your success? Or did you just follow the program to the letter and that's what got you there?

Congrats on the progress. Really impressive.

I've had great success so far with the Superspeed sticks. I started in February and I was around 103-107mph with my driver on the launch monitor depending on how I felt that day. On the course, I was carrying the ball about 250 yards. A good drive with roll for me was around 280 yards. As of about ten days ago I was up to 114-119mph depending on how well I'm swinging it. On the course in flat, calm conditions I'm now carrying the ball 270-280 on well struck drives, so I've hit some silly long tee shots (for me anyways) when I'm downwind or the fairway is firm.

Best of all is that I'm hitting my driver straighter than ever. I'm at 65% fairways over my past ten rounds. I was probably closer to 40-45% in the past and with less distance too. The increased speed allows me to push my choke down fairway finder drives out there in the 265-280 range after rollout. That shot has almost become automatic for me . I've gone from struggling to break 80 from any tee, to shooting mid-to-high 70s from the tips almost every time out now. And that's with almost zero short game. Low single digits or scratch seems realistic for the first time in 20 years.

I credit the super speed sticks with much of my improvement. I only play once a week, so I think just having the set routine of swinging the clubs hard 3x a week is helping to groove my swing and keep me limber.

One last thing, I spent $100 on the swing speed radar, but if I were to do it over again I wouldn't bother wasting the money. I've probably only used it during 4 of my sessions and didn't find it that useful. I also didn't really trust it since it was inflating my swing speed. It had me at 113 at the beginning of training when I knew I was swinging it around 105. I get a good idea of how fast I'm swinging it on a given day by the sound of the "whoosh!" with each stick. And really, it's all about the real life results on the course, so that's how I've been measuring my progress.

Awesome success story.

Do you have a sense of how your progress came over the four months or so you've been using the system? Did you notice big jumps at particular points in time? Or smaller, less noticeable, incremental gains that have added up to where you are now?

Are there any tips you have on aspects of your training that you think have led to your success? Or did you just follow the program to the letter and that's what got you there?

Congrats on the progress. Really impressive.

Thanks. I've mostly just stuck to the program as is. I did the intro protocol for about six and a half weeks before jumping over to protocol 1. I noticed a small increase within a week or two of starting the program. As I said, I had been carrying the ball 250ish, but then I noticed all of my drives were leaving marks in the 258-260 range. So I figure I picked up maybe 3 mph within those first two weeks. Then I sort of plateaued for the next 2-3 weeks. I was feeling fatigue at this point and took something like 5-6 days off while I was on vacation. I remember that the next two sessions felt great. Much faster than the ones before the break. The next time out on the course I was carrying the ball in the high 260's and was breaking 270 by the next week. Then I had a period of two weeks where I was really killing the ball. Had a round in there where I averaged 307 off the tee. Highlight was carrying a straight 303 yard par-4 on the fly. During this time I went back on the launch monitor and the measured stats matched my real world results. I was carrying the ball 275-290 with calculated club head speeds between 115-120. Before I started overspeed training, I couldn't hit 110 if I had swung out of my shoes. Around this time I switched over to protocol 1 and it is a far tougher workout than the intro protocol. Reps increase to 5x/set and with the addition of the kneeling swings it's a much longer and more taxing workout. My driving distance stats have regressed a bit the last few weeks since I've been incorporating a bit of a bunt driver approach, choking down and dialing it back a bit on the course for increased accuracy.

As for the workouts themselves, I noticed when I started (the first session or two) I was trying to swing too hard with my body and big muscles to generate speed. I quickly found that the key (for me) was to feel a looser, faster, whip-like action with a full release of the hips and chest (and head) around and toward the target. Once I started "cracking the whip" the speed really came on.

Thanks. I've mostly just stuck to the program as is. I did the intro protocol for about six and a half weeks before jumping over to protocol 1. I noticed a small increase within a week or two of starting the program. As I said, I had been carrying the ball 250ish, but then I noticed all of my drives were leaving marks in the 258-260 range. So I figure I picked up maybe 3 mph within those first two weeks. Then I sort of plateaued for the next 2-3 weeks. I was feeling fatigue at this point and took something like 5-6 days off while I was on vacation. I remember that the next two sessions felt great. Much faster than the ones before the break. The next time out on the course I was carrying the ball in the high 260's and was breaking 270 by the next week. Then I had a period of two weeks where I was really killing the ball. Had a round in there where I averaged 307 off the tee. Highlight was carrying a straight 303 yard par-4 on the fly. During this time I went back on the launch monitor and the measured stats matched my real world results. I was carrying the ball 275-290 with calculated club head speeds between 115-120. Before I started overspeed training, I couldn't hit 110 if I had swung out of my shoes. Around this time I switched over to protocol 1 and it is a far tougher workout than the intro protocol. Reps increase to 5x/set and with the addition of the kneeling swings it's a much longer and more taxing workout. My driving distance stats have regressed a bit the last few weeks since I've been incorporating a bit of a bunt driver approach, choking down and dialing it back a bit on the course for increased accuracy.

As for the workouts themselves, I noticed when I started (the first session or two) I was trying to swing too hard with my body and big muscles to generate speed. I quickly found that the key (for me) was to feel a looser, faster, whip-like action with a full release of the hips and chest (and head) around and toward the target. Once I started "cracking the whip" the speed really came on.

Thanks. Great insight.

Think I'm sold. Going to try and do this over the winter. Doesn't make sense to do it during the season IMO. It HAS to have a negative affect on your golf swing in the interim. I would love to test it out because even though my ball speed is 120 or so with a 7 iron and the carry is 170 according to the numbers I've had taken, I don't hit my drive anywhere near the 269 yard carry that Trackman says I should (I'm right on PGA average #'s for my irons and very close on my FW's)

Think I'm sold. Going to try and do this over the winter. Doesn't make sense to do it during the season IMO. It HAS to have a negative affect on your golf swing in the interim. I would love to test it out because even though my ball speed is 120 or so with a 7 iron and the carry is 170 according to the numbers I've had taken, I don't hit my drive anywhere near the 269 yard carry that Trackman says I should (I'm right on PGA average #'s for my irons and very close on my FW's)

Just a thought...I'd incorporate speed training once a week during your summer season. It'll really help you blend your current swing with new speed motion. Doing it all during winter has merit but might be a tough swing transition once your weather improves next Spring.

After reading all of your comments, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the system. I have not yet ordered the Swing Speed Radar and uncertain if I should. Tired of lack of distance. Learned that it will be hard work. Will begin it the middle of next week and will attempt weekly reports. Not really concerned about the affect on personal golf during the training. My favorite week of the year is my annual trip to Northern Michigan at the end of June. If I can pick up any distance, I will be a happy camper.

After reading all of your comments, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the system. I have not yet ordered the Swing Speed Radar and uncertain if I should. Tired of lack of distance. Learned that it will be hard work. Will begin it the middle of next week and will attempt weekly reports. Not really concerned about the affect on personal golf during the training. My favorite week of the year is my annual trip to Northern Michigan at the end of June. If I can pick up any distance, I will be a happy camper.

You will pick up distance. Be patient and stick with program. It'll happen.

I have done a similar program (based on Christo Garcia's youtube channel) and the gains were striking. That said, if I don't overspeed train every 1-2 weeks, I will eventually lose all of the gains realized from that program. Has anyone experienced that with the program cited in this post?

One of the tour player's who endorses the program said it takes minimum of 6 months to ingrain speed change! I think that's accurate...

made mine with 1/2 nuts, 9-11-13 , have not used it yet too wet

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Oh my where did my speed go. Almost like I forget how to swing fast. I hit balls for a few hours yesterday into my net with the SC200 and was between 100-103 for my driver. I took a break and went back to the speed sticks/SSR and sure enough I couldn't break 105mph with the blue and the green club was just breaking 120mph. I went back through the protocol 1 and was dog tired at the end but finally blipped 110mph and called it quits. I have been going back to the gym and think the arm workouts are done. I got my arm strength back for baseball but lost my fast twitch speed for golf.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Would this be counterproductive to some one that is a high handicapper?

I don't think so. Once your speeds come up, you can back it off and then you can swing more in balance. Right now I feel like I'm swinging with a lot of effort and using the heavy muscles.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Oh my where did my speed go. Almost like I forget how to swing fast. I hit balls for a few hours yesterday into my net with the SC200 and was between 100-103 for my driver. I took a break and went back to the speed sticks/SSR and sure enough I couldn't break 105mph with the blue and the green club was just breaking 120mph. I went back through the protocol 1 and was dog tired at the end but finally blipped 110mph and called it quits. I have been going back to the gym and think the arm workouts are done. I got my arm strength back for baseball but lost my fast twitch speed for golf.

Honda, you're doing too much! Haha

Honda, you're doing too much! Haha

I agree that it's probably really easy to be in a big hurry and overtrain. Unless you're in your early 20's or younger, you may benefit from more recovery time.

I've been slacking with the overspeed training of late. I've been doing personal training sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays that are working muscles that haven't been tapped in years. Adding this to my regular gym routine is wearing me down. I've intended to do the overspeed training the past two days, but haven't felt up to it. I tried to hit balls yesterday at the range but I was so tight and sore I couldn't put a decent swing on the ball. It was pitiful. Need to shift my focus back to it starting today.

I've been slacking with the overspeed training of late. I've been doing personal training sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays that are working muscles that haven't been tapped in years. Adding this to my regular gym routine is wearing me down. I've intended to do the overspeed training the past two days, but haven't felt up to it. I tried to hit balls yesterday at the range but I was so tight and sore I couldn't put a decent swing on the ball. It was pitiful. Need to shift my focus back to it starting today.

This is a big challenge with trying to stay fit while getting fast (and working on your golf swing in general). I used to do CrossFit a couple times a week, spinning once or twice a week, with an occasional run or gym workout thrown in. I would also do cardio tennis once a week. All this while I was playing golf and tennis. There were many times I was so sore or tired I really couldn't get anything out of a range session or a speed session. A month ago, I decided to drop all the workouts except the occasional gym workout because I had several tournaments coming up. It is amazing how much my golf improved in that time. Now I need to get back to my fitness routine, but I know it is going to make it hard to continue to progress on my golf game, until I regain a certain level of fitness again. It is definitely a balancing act, and it is a challenge to be smart and balanced about it.

how many times per week do you do overspeed workouts.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

I've done a few sessions with the sticks so far. Admittedly I did one session then came down with a pretty bad cold so I had to give myself several days to recover.

A little background I'm about a 3 handicap. Driver swing speed around 100-105. I'm not a great ball striker, but typically keep it in play make a ton of pars a few bogies and a birdie here or there.

I played the other day for the first time after starting SS. Anecdotal, but I found myself hitting a lot of topped or thin shots. My driver was even tipped. I top maybe one drive a season. In the first 7 holes I topped 4. That doesn't include me topping my irons either. Then I told myself to feel like I was going to hit my driver 150 yards. Hit one on the center of the face expecting to have hit a 200 yard driver (which is short, but way better than a 100 yard top!). To my surprise the ball was about where I normally hit it maybe even a little past. Felt the same way with the PW I hit in and it was also struck solid.

The rest of the round I had to feel like I was trying to hit every club about half the usual distance. Surprisingly everything was going a club longer than I'm used to. Now, I'm sure some of this distance is from hitting the center of the face more, but honestly I think me feeling like I was swinging really slow I was still swinging faster than when I started SS training.

Incredibly long story short I feel that SS screwed up my tempo a bit, but I am likely seeing some speed gains. If I can hit drives that go just as far as before even maybe a bit further while feeling like I swing slower and hit the center of the face more I'll be pretty darn happy. I'm going to get on a Foresight tomorrow and see what my ball speeds are like.

I wonder if the topping is because your body is seeking the posture it had during the training, with you swinging above the ground a decent amount by necessity?

Maybe it would help if you could incorporate some iron swings into your training session, where you're swinging all out with the purpose of finding the turf/ground where the ball would be.

I actually topped a ball so bad it went off my CCE mat and over my Ruckket net. My controlled swing seemed to settle in around 105mph where I feel like I can hit a fairway. North of 110mph I have been hitting the ball very low on the face. I can swing the driver 115 but so far I'm having a hard time applying it when the pressure is on.

Experienced some similar results after 2 weeks with the SS System. Since starting the training I feel that my tempo has been way off and when I've swung with my "normal" effort my shots have been way off especially with the driver.

Two summers ago I documented a speed program that I was doing and I was seeing significant gains, but my swing went down the crapper and I started spraying the ball all over the place. Eventually had to stop because it was in tournament season. I think you need to look at it as a long term project as there are going to be some negatives that come with the speed until you get everything dialed in.

Can the same training be done with the orange whip and a raw shaft?

Orange Whip is a great product but it is to heavy for speed training. It's great for warning up before your training but I'd say no as to using it for your OS training

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

2 out of 3 days doing speed training again and speeds are creeping back up. Definitely need a dedicated workout schedule to keep those high speeds up.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program that has me lifting three days a week. I'm also doing the Superspeed program 3 days per week, and trying to get in a couple of cardio sessions.

I usually try to get in the Superspeed work in the morning and then lift in the evening if I'm doing both on the same day, and that's been working fine for me. I don't notice either form of training impacting the other,and don't feel overly tired provided I rest properly space the workouts. I just graduated from the introductory protocol to protocol 1 this morning, and it was definitely more strenuous.