2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Overspeed Training is working!

Hondabuff

To the comments about topping the ball.....

I'm wondering if the weighted shafts should be cut down to a length that matches current driver shaft without the head.

For example, if your current driver plays at 45", the shaft without the head is ~44" (depending on BBTG measurement). If the weighted club is 45" it may be requiring the user to swing a little flatter to avoid digging it into the ground.

Perhaps cutting the weighted shafts down to ~44" would allow the user to maintain the same shaft angle at impact. Just a thought.

I think its a byproduct of swinging hard and pushing down with the front leg to get that whip action. I have actually topped some balls that bounced over my net. My 80% swing has been 103-105mph and that's with a smash factor north of 1.43 but when I really try to rip the ball and get up around 115 my smash factor goes to hell. For every one ball I just smash with a 115mph swing with a high smash factor I have 5 balls in the 1.3-1.37 range. I have had a bunch of 105mph swings with 1.47 smash "ball speeds "+150mph" where I have recorded some long hits. So having the speed and properly applying the speed seems to be the challenge now for me.

One thing I learned when I was prepping for long drive comps back in the day was that swinging all out while finding center is a learnable skill that has to be developed. I wasn't going to slow down my swing to find center; it was long drive. So I got an erasable marker and swung as hard as I possibly could, and made adjustments based on where my impacts were, until I could find the center of the face (or thereabouts).

Even if you don't want to swing near your limits on the course on a regular basis, being able to step on one during the course of a round with good results is a good arrow to have in your quiver.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played today in my league and had some drives where I was 80 yards longer then some of my partners. I had 2 drives in the 315-320 range after roll out. After the 3rd hole my confidence was super high and was just ripping the ball. The new 2017 ProV1 just flat out performs and is laser straight. Hole number 9 I was hitting driver, hybrid or 3w last year then normally have a short pitch. Today I hit driver and 6 iron and missed a 12' putt for eagle. I did have some moments when teeing off that I felt like I was in my driveway just swinging with just the radar. My 915 with the Rogue Silver is just a monster and for the first time I was over powering my local muni. Cool stuff!!

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I played today. I hit the ball well overall. I honestly would have scored better if I knew how far my irons were going and had putted better. Lasering my drives I didn't seem to pick up much distance. Iron wise in hitting the ball much further. On several holes I thought if anything I didn't have enough club, but still ended up sending the ball long.

My swing has definitely gotten better over the past 4 month and I'm getting to a better impact position, but I do feel I'm picking up a little speed. Only about 2 weeks into the program. I'll keep posting results. No topped shots today.

sorry for asking , i don't have a gram scale. how many and what size washers did you to get your weight , sorry for asking

, i dont have a gram scale. how many and what size washers did you to get your weight

Anyone using nuts and lots of duct tape on old shafts?

Washers, epoxy and tape. 180, 200, 220 grams total weight with old shafts lying around collecting spider webs. Daily use but just day 3. $20.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

You have to manually enter Right, Left or Straight after each shot with the ES12 which isn't hard to do but its the last thing your thinking about during a session. I was hitting at the range to get my baselines and I honestly think it straightened out my ball flight with my driver. Swinging the shaft only club is impossible to get any clubhead speed with out holding your lag and late releasing. At the end of last season league play I was fighting a cast from all the summer baseball and it killed all my power in my golf swing. It went from swinging fast to swinging hard. Coaching requires you to hit a lot of baseballs one handed while doing groundball practice and my right side became super dominant. What I like now while doing the overspeed training in Protocol 1 is the right hand left hand swings. I was getting 140mph speeds out of the right side but only 110-115 on the left hand. My left side after a few weeks is now up over 150 swinging left handed. If you ever watched a Terbuchet catapult fire

this is the same movement your trying to do and sequencing is everything. There is only a tiny window where your fast twitch muscles need to fire and everything else is just about hitting the proper positions to maximize the whip at the bottom of the swing.. Some people must just be blessed with proper sequencing and others have to learn it. If you ever seen the Y to Y drill, I do this with just the V2 shaft and can hit 120mph on the swing speed radar with just the arms. If I add the left leg pushing hard against the ground like I'm trying to snap a twig under my left foot the speed jumps to 130mph. The swing thought is "snapping" a towel.

Honda, what is the Y to Y drill? Thanks. F.

. Y to Y as Tour Tempo calls it is just a shorter chipping motion. 7 oclock drill I think Pelz calls it.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

4 months in and overspeed traing has really exceeded all my expectations. Last fall I was 100-105mph during my league and this year I have been on parts of the fairway that was just unobtainable before. So much easier to play the game when your hitting alot less club into some of these holes. Quick video of my green and blue club current speeds. http://sendvid.com/9wyc1jpg

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Hurt my left biceps doing the training. Right where the lower inside part of the bicep attaches. It will heal but I've got to stop and I really hadn't got it going yet.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I've done a few sessions with the sticks so far. Admittedly I did one session then came down with a pretty bad cold so I had to give myself several days to recover.

A little background I'm about a 3 handicap. Driver swing speed around 100-105. I'm not a great ball striker, but typically keep it in play make a ton of pars a few bogies and a birdie here or there.

I played the other day for the first time after starting SS. Anecdotal, but I found myself hitting a lot of topped or thin shots. My driver was even tipped. I top maybe one drive a season. In the first 7 holes I topped 4. That doesn't include me topping my irons either. Then I told myself to feel like I was going to hit my driver 150 yards. Hit one on the center of the face expecting to have hit a 200 yard driver (which is short, but way better than a 100 yard top!). To my surprise the ball was about where I normally hit it maybe even a little past. Felt the same way with the PW I hit in and it was also struck solid.

The rest of the round I had to feel like I was trying to hit every club about half the usual distance. Surprisingly everything was going a club longer than I'm used to. Now, I'm sure some of this distance is from hitting the center of the face more, but honestly I think me feeling like I was swinging really slow I was still swinging faster than when I started SS training.

Incredibly long story short I feel that SS screwed up my tempo a bit, but I am likely seeing some speed gains. If I can hit drives that go just as far as before even maybe a bit further while feeling like I swing slower and hit the center of the face more I'll be pretty darn happy. I'm going to get on a Foresight tomorrow and see what my ball speeds are like.

I wonder if the topping is because your body is seeking the posture it had during the training, with you swinging above the ground a decent amount by necessity?

Maybe it would help if you could incorporate some iron swings into your training session, where you're swinging all out with the purpose of finding the turf/ground where the ball would be.

I actually topped a ball so bad it went off my CCE mat and over my Ruckket net. My controlled swing seemed to settle in around 105mph where I feel like I can hit a fairway. North of 110mph I have been hitting the ball very low on the face. I can swing the driver 115 but so far I'm having a hard time applying it when the pressure is on.

Experienced some similar results after 2 weeks with the SS System. Since starting the training I feel that my tempo has been way off and when I've swung with my "normal" effort my shots have been way off especially with the driver.

. Y to Y as Tour Tempo calls it is just a shorter chipping motion. 7 oclock drill I think Pelz calls it.

Yea, the "Y," "L," and "Mini-Y" drills as John Sr. and Jr. Call em. The Y&L drills were also called the Hogan ball drills back in the 70's-80's, though Tommy Armour used em and taught em long before Hogan started using them. Exceptional drills and these were basically the only drills that I used both in mechanical practice routines(when I was working on my physical swing) and competitive practice routines(when I was simulating competitive rounds) and they're simple, a great way to groove tempo, feel and a swing, be it a short iron or driver.

Gliddon's vid is fine though I prefer Malaska's vid. As John Sr. was my Teacher(and Jr. to a lesser degree) when I got sick I have a couple of DVD's and he's got the drills on em. I believe that one of the cd's were in his book.

Also, Mike Dunaway(Former World Class Long Driver who basically put LD Comps on the map, passed in 2015) did 500 slo mo "L" drills every day with his driver without a ball but with a tee and he focused solely on putting that tee center face. He would visualize his 140mph+ swing coming through the ball dead arse center face.

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I have found that I am hitting the ball really far, but only if my tempo is really slow. Weird.

Your tempo is not as slow as you would believe, you just have improved it and smoothed it out!! With you putting the ball out there, I'm betting that your tempo is probably 24:8. That seems slower to you because you are not "jumping" on it or consciously trying to swing hard however a smooth tempo is critical to hitting it consistently and far. The average PGA Tempo is 24:8(NOT SS, Tempo)

That's great because you've had your "aha" moment, lol

Very Nicely Played?

Continued success?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Played today in my league and had some drives where I was 80 yards longer then some of my partners. I had 2 drives in the 315-320 range after roll out. After the 3rd hole my confidence was super high and was just ripping the ball. The new 2017 ProV1 just flat out performs and is laser straight. Hole number 9 I was hitting driver, hybrid or 3w last year then normally have a short pitch. Today I hit driver and 6 iron and missed a 12' putt for eagle. I did have some moments when teeing off that I felt like I was in my driveway just swinging with just the radar. My 915 with the Rogue Silver is just a monster and for the first time I was over powering my local muni. Cool stuff!!

??????????

?

RP

Good to see you guys are sticking with it. I have started back into some strength training since baseball season has started and found doing high rep bicep curls really help. Just doing 10lb dumb bell curls in 5 reps of 30-50 really have increased my arm endurance. Triceps pulldowns will really add some snap to the bottom of your swing and I have played around with heavy and light weights and it didn't seem to matter as much as the bicep training. There is a lot of forces at work and especially when you swing the heavy clubs. Hoping for a Speedy recovery for you Cwing.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I have found that I am hitting the ball really far, but only if my tempo is really slow. Weird.

Your tempo is not as slow as you would believe, you just have improved it and smoothed it out!! With you putting the ball out there, I'm betting that your tempo is probably 24:8. That seems slower to you because you are not "jumping" on it or consciously trying to swing hard however a smooth tempo is critical to hitting it consistently and far. The average PGA Tempo is 24:8(NOT SS, Tempo)

That's great because you've had your "aha" moment, lol

Very Nicely Played

Continued success

RP

Right you are. I just checked one of my swings (on video) where I got very good distance, and it was 24:8. In the past it has been 24:9 or 24:10 regardless of how "smartly" I swing the club down. I remember thinking how relaxed this particular swing was. I don't quite have this down on my longer clubs yet, because those swings seem really slow, but I will get there. One of the coolest things about swinging easily is how much time I have, which makes it easy to cover the ball and get the hands out in front at impact. This has made it very easy to hit low wedges and that has taken my wedge game from decent to really good.

I broke 80 and impressed some drunk guys sunday when I played through.

Overspeed is good and I like it. I don't have a radar but I'm easy to please I guess so I've been content just going outside and ripping those things as hard as possible three times a week for the last two months.

Oddly my ball striking is a lot better. I'm not sure if that's because my mechanics are better or what, but I'm hitting greens and keeping it in the fairway off the tee so no need to fix anything or obsess over video right now.

Good to see you guys are sticking with it. I have started back into some strength training since baseball season has started and found doing high rep bicep curls really help. Just doing 10lb dumb bell curls in 5 reps of 30-50 really have increased my arm endurance. Triceps pulldowns will really add some snap to the bottom of your swing and I have played around with heavy and light weights and it didn't seem to matter as much as the bicep training. There is a lot of forces at work and especially when you swing the heavy clubs. Hoping for a Speedy recovery for you Cwing.

Thank you!!!

Went to range tonight and no issues. I've got a golf trip next week so I'm going to hold off restarting until after. I'll also work on a better warm up routine before doing again.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I have been at it for 12 weeks now with my 3 home made sticks. Training 3 times a week with the speed sticks. Doing forearms and wrist workouts several times a week and lot of stretching back and hamstrings.

Week 1 SS (mph) :

Green = 113

Blue = 107

Red = 102

Driver 90 (average)

Week 12 SS (mph) :

Green = 127

Blue = 118

Red = 111

Driver 100 mph (average)

I saw an increase of driver speed after 4-6 weeks from 90 to 95. After that the next increase came just over a week ago (week 10-11) when I started recording 100 mph driver swing speeds (with my real driver). Some of the increase may be due to the temperature increase as spring is slowly coming. When I first started that was in the middle of winter and temperatures were bouncing around the -5 to 0 degree celcius. Now we are experiencing anything from 5 to 10 degrees celcius.

All of a sudden my goal of 105 mph driver SS (with a respectable smash factor) this summer is within reach.

Now that I have my Mevo I'm seeing lower club head speeds while hitting into the net. Around 104mph which is the same as the SSR which is good. I'm going to start the overspeed training over again just using a raw shaft and grip. I can feel that under pressure during a league round how tense I get just making sure I get the ball in play. I have not been doing the Superspeed training as much and its starting to show. I'm starting to cast the club again and its robbing me a ton of club head speed. It always seems that the club with no weight resets my fast twitch muscles. I did some swings with the blue club and was hitting 115-117mph with ease but standing over the ball with my driver knowing I need to make a clean pass at it, I see speeds back down in the low 100's. out on the course I can tell when my swing feels optimum and I start smoking drives again. I'm a walker and after a few holes hiking up and down some hills I was spent. I use Amino Vital endurance while walking but I don't think that's going to be enough. The fast twitch muscles seem to deactivate when your huffing and puffing.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I have been at it for 12 weeks now with my 3 home made sticks. Training 3 times a week with forearms and wrist workouts on the side and a lot of stretching.

Week 1 SS (mph) :

Green = 113

Blue = 107

Red = 102

Driver 90 (average)

Week 12 SS (mph) :

Green = 127

Blue = 118

Red = 111

Driver 100 mph (average)

I saw an increase of driver speed after 4-6 weeks from 90 to 95. After that the next increase came just over a week ago (week 10-11) when I started recording 100 mph driver swing speeds (with my real driver). Some of the increase may be due to the temperature increase as spring is slowly coming. When I first started that was in the middle of winter and temperatures were bouncing around the -5 to 0 degree celcius. Now we are experiencing anything from 5 to 10 degrees celcius.

All of a sudden my goal of 105 mph driver SS (with a respectable smash factor) this summer is within reach.

Great gains there.

I'm on light duties at the moment as have picked up a shoulder injury. I think it's because I didn't warm up enough before a session, so everyone be careful, especially before going after the heavy stick!

Now that I have my Mevo I'm seeing lower club head speeds while hitting into the net. Around 104mph which is the same as the SSR which is good. I'm going to start the overspeed training over again just using a raw shaft and grip. I can feel that under pressure during a league round how tense I get just making sure I get the ball in play. I have not been doing the Superspeed training as much and its starting to show. I'm starting to cast the club again and its robbing me a ton of club head speed. It always seems that the club with no weight resets my fast twitch muscles. I did some swings with the blue club and was hitting 115-117mph with ease but standing over the ball with my driver knowing I need to make a clean pass at it, I see speeds back down in the low 100's. out on the course I can tell when my swing feels optimum and I start smoking drives again. I'm a walker and after a few holes hiking up and down some hills I was spent. I use Amino Vital endurance while walking but I don't think that's going to be enough. The fast twitch muscles seem to deactivate when your huffing and puffing.

I noticed in the Mevo thread you complained of some casting issues. Did those creep in through this training? Or have you always dealt with that?

I have been at it for 12 weeks now with my 3 home made sticks. Training 3 times a week with forearms and wrist workouts on the side and a lot of stretching.

Week 1 SS (mph) :

Green = 113

Blue = 107

Red = 102

Driver 90 (average)

Week 12 SS (mph) :

Green = 127

Blue = 118

Red = 111

Driver 100 mph (average)

Great gains there.

I'm on light duties at the moment as have picked up a shoulder injury. I think it's because I didn't warm up enough before a session, so everyone be careful, especially before going after the heavy stick!

I agree 100% !!!

One thing this swing speed training has taught me is the importance of warming up and stretching before starting the session. If you just go for it without proper preparation you will open the door to injuries and/or the SS numbers will not be as high.

I noticed in the Mevo thread you complained of some casting issues. Did those creep in through this training? Or have you always dealt with that?

I have always had a cast, Its a feeling of false power. When my swing gets long it rears its ugly head. My sequence gets out of sorts and I'm going to start doing a lot more 1/2 to 3/4 swings which on video are full swings. The heavy club will make your swing long if your not careful. I think its best to do 3/4 swings with the red club due to the weight and how much the shaft will bow and pull your shoulders out of plain. Right now I'm finding a 115 mph swing with a 1.10 smash is useless on the course. I have been golfing for 34 years and playing some of the best golf ever at a 7.5hcp but feel like I'm so far from shooting scratch due to engrained bad habits.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Did you find that the full program wasn't really working for you? Or you don't have the time to get through the whole thing every session? Why the change to just an unweighted club?

Did you find that the full program wasn't really working for you? Or you don't have the time to get through the whole thing every session? Why the change to just an unweighted club?

The program works but I really thing you can just buy a 45" raw shaft and throw on a grip and get the same results faster. When you swing the raw shaft you will retain the lag easier and longer throughout the swing which leads to better mechanics. Top speed golf talks about the straight line release and I haven't been doing it with my real clubs. Christo from My Swing Evolution has a long drive videos that this is all he does is use a raw shaft and got great results. I started doing it and was able to hit 171mph with a raw shaft and ever since I started doing the Super Speed system I have not been able to achieve those numbers. I'm going to chart my progress the next few days and see where I end up. I can walk outside and swing my blue club 117-120mph right now but I'm only hitting 105mph with my driver while hitting a ball. I have had some ugly heel shots with my driver at the range and into my net so I have to figure out where my breakdown is. I lost the fast swing and can tell I'm not using the fast twitch muscles in my arms.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

It'll be interesting to see whether there's a correlation between being able to swing the unweighted club faster than you were able to with the Superspeed program, and your driver swing speed during a round.

It sounds like you've done plenty of research on this (at least more than I have). I don't doubt that there are other ways to approach this to get faster results, but I'm committed to continuing on with the Superspeed program and seeing where it goes over the course of the season.

I've had great success so far with the Superspeed sticks. I started in February and I was around 103-107mph with my driver on the launch monitor depending on how I felt that day. On the course, I was carrying the ball about 250 yards. A good drive with roll for me was around 280 yards. As of about ten days ago I was up to 114-119mph depending on how well I'm swinging it. On the course in flat, calm conditions I'm now carrying the ball 270-280 on well struck drives, so I've hit some silly long tee shots (for me anyways) when I'm downwind or the fairway is firm.

Best of all is that I'm hitting my driver straighter than ever. I'm at 65% fairways over my past ten rounds. I was probably closer to 40-45% in the past and with less distance too. The increased speed allows me to push my choke down fairway finder drives out there in the 265-280 range after rollout. That shot has almost become automatic for me . I've gone from struggling to break 80 from any tee, to shooting mid-to-high 70s from the tips almost every time out now. And that's with almost zero short game. Low single digits or scratch seems realistic for the first time in 20 years.

I credit the super speed sticks with much of my improvement. I only play once a week, so I think just having the set routine of swinging the clubs hard 3x a week is helping to groove my swing and keep me limber.

One last thing, I spent $100 on the swing speed radar, but if I were to do it over again I wouldn't bother wasting the money. I've probably only used it during 4 of my sessions and didn't find it that useful. I also didn't really trust it since it was inflating my swing speed. It had me at 113 at the beginning of training when I knew I was swinging it around 105. I get a good idea of how fast I'm swinging it on a given day by the sound of the "whoosh!" with each stick. And really, it's all about the real life results on the course, so that's how I've been measuring my progress.