2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Overspeed Training is working!

Hondabuff

Just started this last night with a light head and regular head interchangeable shaft. Knees, regular swrings, and step swings with both weights L & R. I was a little sore this morning. I make sure for the regular and step through swings, i'm trying to hit a foam ball on a tee so it's as close to real golf as possible.

One question ... anyone notice the SSRadar is pretty good with drivers/fairway woods but really out of wack with irons? It reads 4-5 mph high consistently compared to trackman for me with woods but is all over the map with irons.

Interesting. Can you explain?

With woods I'll get something like 105 with TM and 109 or 110 on the SSR very consistently.

When I hit a 7 iron it'll jump around from 88 to 78 to 110 back to 92. All over the place.

Sorry, I meant how are you setting up your light head/heavy head? Cut part out, adding tape, etc...?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Build strength and begin engaging your non dominant side so that it can support the movement of your dominant side.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Just started this last night with a light head and regular head interchangeable shaft. Knees, regular swrings, and step swings with both weights L & R. I was a little sore this morning. I make sure for the regular and step through swings, i'm trying to hit a foam ball on a tee so it's as close to real golf as possible.

One question ... anyone notice the SSRadar is pretty good with drivers/fairway woods but really out of wack with irons? It reads 4-5 mph high consistently compared to trackman for me with woods but is all over the map with irons.

Interesting. Can you explain?

With woods I'll get something like 105 with TM and 109 or 110 on the SSR very consistently.

When I hit a 7 iron it'll jump around from 88 to 78 to 110 back to 92. All over the place.

Sorry, I meant how are you setting up your light head/heavy head? Cut part out, adding tape, etc...?

Whoops sorry about that.

I'm using a regular G30 driver head at D2 with normal goop and back weight as well a Rhapsody driver head (same shaft same adapter). They only end up being about 7% difference in weight instead of my goal of 10% but in speaking to a couple ppl familiar with this training as long as I can swing the light head 10-15% faster than the regular head that will be fine.

They likened it to a sprinter running on a slight downslope - allow your body and brain to get used to moving faster.

In --- after much consideration between buying and making a set, I placed an order for the real deal stuff including radar unit tonight.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Honda- When making your own sticks, would you err on the side of heavier or lighter?

I weighed my driver and it's around 335 grams. So like 15-20 grams more than the Superspeed model is based off

My driver is 330gr. My red heavy club is 365gr and Blue is 315gr.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I've read much of this thread, but apologies if I missed it- Have any of you noticed better overall balance from this type of training?

I thought about this training quite a bit last night, and I like the idea of it being golf-specific training without the actual golf visuals. Meaning, you're not worrying about face angle, angle of attack, swing path, etc. You're primarily focusing on remaining balanced while swinging fast, correct?

I imagine this (particularly the non-dominant side training) would improve balance a lot.

Started to hit some wiffle balls off the practice mat in the driveway last night while also doing the speed training. I observed when I focus on hitting the ball my Club head speeds dropped to 106-107mph and even as low as 97 but I was hitting the balls dead straight with a little draw. When I would focus on just swinging like my speed sticks and not even focusing on the ball, my speeds would jump to 115-116mph range and was ripping the balls out into the yard. Defiantly something I'm going to incorporate into a pre-shot routine. I can feel the tension of the anticipation of hitting the ball vs. just smooth free wheeling swing. Something I'm really going to focus on the next few times I practice.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Started to hit some wiffle balls off the practice mat in the driveway last night while also doing the speed training. I observed when I focus on hitting the ball my Club head speeds dropped to 106-107mph and even as low as 97 but I was hitting the balls dead straight with a little draw. When I would focus on just swinging like my speed sticks and not even focusing on the ball, my speeds would jump to 115-116mph range and was ripping the balls out into the yard. Defiantly something I'm going to incorporate into a pre-shot routine. I can feel the tension of the anticipation of hitting the ball vs. just smooth free wheeling swing. Something I'm really going to focus on the next few times I practice.

I have been doing something very similar in my basement. After doing the level 1 protocol I added 3 sets of 5 shots hitting a foam golf ball into a net with my driver. This has helped keep the speed up when hitting a ball and notice how easy it is to slow down. Even after doing this a few times hitting balls with the driver is the same or a little bit slower than the heavy club.

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread, this has motivated me to test super Speed training while waiting for the snow to disappear here in Sweden.

I built 3 shafts with following total weight : 255 grams (green) , 285grams (blue) and 335grams(red). That alone was fun to do !

I have stuck to 3 sessions per week. Basically 1 days rest between sessions.

First session (18 Feb 2017) resulted in following results :

Green = 113 mph

Blue = 107 mph

Red = 102 mph

Last session ( 14 March 2017 , this morning) got the following results :

Green = 119 mph

Blue = 114 mph

Red = 104

Looks like this works as the SS is slowly moving up.

Have to admit this is addictive. I look forward to every session to see if I can increase my SS.

Todays results :

Green = 118 (down 1 compared to previous session)

Blue = 112 (down 2 compared to previous session)

Red = 106 (up 2 compared to previous session)

Would be interesting to see when people record their swing speed.

Myself, I do the 90 swings (protocol 1), then I do 3 swings with the green and note the top speed, repeat with blue then red. Those top recorded speeds are what I show in this thread.

Is this how you all do it or have you found a better method for recording progress ?

Interestingly I always finish it all off with several fast green shaft swings and they are almost allways around the 120mph + region.

This is really fun, I strongly recommend it, plus the snow is all gone here now so the driving ranges are opening in a couple of weeks.

Kneeling swing

Green shaft : 5 swings with dominant + 5 with non dominant

Blue shaft : 5 swings with dominant + 5 with non dominant

Red shaft : 5 swings with dominant + 5 with non dominant

Total kneeling swings = 30

Normal swing

Total normal swings = 30

Step swing

Total step swings = 30

Total 30 + 30 + 30 = 90

After that I take 3 swings with green shaft and document the fastest swing. Repeat with blue then red.

Then I finish with another 3 swings with the green as apparently it is important to finish with the lightest club.

So in total it is actually 90 + 9 + 3 = 102

For me this setup works out quite well and I get a half decent work out.

I did my first range session last night where I focused on swinging as fast as I could with a six iron but staying in balance on my left side finish position. I actually surprised myself how I got upto 94mph club head speed with the 6 (ignored some of the crazy numbers with irons) and hit it straight and high. I guess I have more in the tank. My mid back, thoracic area is sore today though, which is a good sign that I maintained my spine angle at impact.

I kinda got lazy the last 2 weeks and haven't been swinging the sticks at all. Due to travel for work and and the crap weather we are getting I just haven't been in the mood. I did a quick set of arm curls then wrist curls and got out on the driveway to do just a quick session of protocol one. I'm still impressed that I'm maintaining my speeds but really impressed that my Red 365gr club that I hit 115mph a few times with it. Blue club still hangs out in the 115-117mph range with a few spikes into the low 120's. I dropped the super lite club which had a 50gr tip weight from my workout. I find I'm more focused with just 3 clubs vs. swinging the fourth. I really have not found the need to go to protocol 2 as of yet. But it doesn't seem like once you activate those fast twitch muscles then they are always there and on. Good up the progress guys and look forward to hearing more stories and seeing the charts!

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I kinda got lazy the last 2 weeks and haven't been swinging the sticks at all. Due to travel for work and and the crap weather we are getting I just haven't been in the mood. I did a quick set of arm curls then wrist curls and got out on the driveway to do just a quick session of protocol one. I'm still impressed that I'm maintaining my speeds but really impressed that my Red 365gr club that I hit 115mph a few times with it. Blue club still hangs out in the 115-117mph range with a few spikes into the low 120's. I dropped the super lite club which had a 50gr tip weight from my workout. I find I'm more focused with just 3 clubs vs. swinging the fourth. I really have not found the need to go to protocol 2 as of yet. But it doesn't seem like once you activate those fast twitch muscles then they are always there and on. Good up the progress guys and look forward to hearing more stories and seeing the charts!

Honda, are you saying that without continued training the speed seems to get lost? This sentence confused me a bit, but that's not difficult.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Honda, are you saying that without continued training the speed seems to get lost? This sentence confused me a bit, but that's not difficult.

My bad, Once you DO train the muscles then are always ready to go. That was little over 2 weeks off for me and had no issue at all getting up to speed. I seemed to have the wasted body motion again though. It might take a few more training sessions to regain my smooth balance.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Honda, thanks. That's good news (about the retention, not your body motion issue).

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Another fun session especially when the SS point upwards.

Todays results :

Green 124mph ( up 6 mph from previous session)

Blue 116mph (up 4 mph from previous session)

Red 109mph (up 3 mph from previous session)

Still on protocol 1 and loving it. This is one of the rare occasions when all three colours have gone up in speed.

One issue is that my right wrist is a little sore when I make a fist and push it against a hard surface. Hopefully this will go away quickly.

Weather here is getting better and better, ice hockey season for my kids is coming to an end and golf courses are preparing to open their driving ranges. Pretty soon I will be sending little white bombs down green fairways :)

Todays results :

Still on protocol 1 and loving it. This is one of the rare occasions when all three colours have gone up in speed.

One issue is that my right wrist is a little sore when I make a fist and push it against a hard surface. Hopefully this will go away quickly.

Weather here is getting better and better, ice hockey season for my kids is coming to an end and golf courses are preparing to open their driving ranges. Pretty soon I will be sending little white bombs down green fairways :)

You should start some strength training of the wrists. I would start with some low weight 2-3lb dumb bells. Doesn't take much for your wrist to go from sore to out of commission for the summer.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Todays results :

You should start some strength training of the wrists. I would start with some low weight 2-3lb dumb bells. Doesn't take much for your wrist to go from sore to out of commission for the summer.

I have found the same issue, but with my left wrist, probably my release has changed and Im not used to it.

Todays results :

You are right, I have sorted a 1kg dumb bell and started a strengthening of wrists and forearms workout. Last thing I want is an injury that can ruin my golf season.

Todays results :

You are right, I have sorted a 1kg dumb bell and started a strengthening of wrists and forearms workout. Last thing I want is an injury that can ruin my golf season.

First thing I noticed after a week of doing wrist curls was that my left wrist was no longer sore after doing the left hand only swing. Seemed to really stabilize my iron shots through the turf. I always marveled at the drills you see where Tour pro's could hit balls just left handed and just never had the strength to do it. You will probably see your speeds creep up the stronger your wrists get.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Todays results :

First thing I noticed after a week of doing wrist curls was that my left wrist was no longer sore after doing the left hand only swing. Seemed to really stabilize my iron shots through the turf. I always marveled at the drills you see where Tour pro's could hit balls just left handed and just never had the strength to do it. You will probably see your speeds creep up the stronger your wrists get.

Sounds like great news.

I now have a 3 tier workout program :

- Overspeed training ( outside in the yard )

- Wrist and forearms work out ( when watching TV )

- Back stretching workout ( also while watching TV )

All this thanks to you starting this thread and motivating me !

I've got an Orange whip trainer (for the heavy club), my normal driver and a driver shaft with 3 golf balls at the end for the light club. (just drilled a hole though them, glued them on and screwed a washer at the end to stop them from flying off)

Do you think that would work for the Overspeed training as well? I guess the exact weights aren't really that important as long as they are somewhere in the same ballpark.